X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GingerP
    • Aug 2012

Two teams called Fred within an hour he hit the waiver wire... SEA and NE

What do they know about winning, though. What chumps they are for being interested in him. Don't they know he is old?

• feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Two teams called Fred within an hour he hit the waiver wire... SEA and NE

He's the oldest running back in the entire league. He's lasted this long probably because he's seen limited carries, in part. Freddie has been a staple of this team and this community for nearly a decade. I'll miss seeing him in there, but you gotta get over it already.

Just be glad about one thing: he didn't go to New England. THAT would be hard to take. I'd put him on my team every day of the week, and twice on Sundays, but that's not up to me. He's gone.

Seeing him go to Seattle with Lynch is a good thing...best case scenario if he had to go, ask me.
    Last edited by feldspar; 09-08-2015, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
      What do they know about winning, though. What chumps they are for being interested in him. Don't they know he is old?

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09...ed-in-seattle/
      Why did they pay him only 900 grand ? Isn't he worth more than that ? Pats probably offered less. Wow.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Buddo
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
        Why did they pay him only 900 grand ? Isn't he worth more than that ? Pats probably offered less. Wow.
        They will probably discover that it was cheap, too. Pats might have offered more, but I doubt Fred wanted to go there. (Mind you, it wouldn't have been a lot more).

Somewhere else on the interweb thingy, I read an article about how Carroll is expecting to use him, which is to spell Lynch, and on 3rd downs, which is exactly what we should have been doing with him. 3rd downs for his blitz pickup and blocking, and his uncanny ability to actually find space for the dump off pass, if it's needed. I'd guess that Belichick was of exactly the same mind, tbh.

'Moving on' is one thing, but it's probably better to do it if you make your team better along the way, which I don't believe is the case in releasing Fred. I have no problem seeing Williams as his 'heir apparent' tbh - the kid looks like he might be a steal, and a valuable foil to Shady - but I simply don't feel that anyone else is as useful as Fred, under the above circumstances.

It also seems to me that there are a few roster decisions that have been made with more fingers crossed, than you would like. While I don't rate Cassell, I'm not enamoured of just keeping 2 QBs when your starter is going to be running a lot, as another example. McCoy's fitness is also questionable, as was that of most of the RBs we actually did keep. Couple of things happen injury wise, and we could be looking at all sorts of trouble early on in the year.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Thank you Freddie for sticking it to New England in the end. He's still loyal to the fans even though the organization isn't to him.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

I love how I got criticized for referencing his 9 years on a losing team and than the article goes on to say we are changing the culture to a winning one instead of lovable losers.

BTW 900K is less than 2.5 million

Comment

• DynaPaul
              • Sep 2003

Seattle got another A+ RB from us, seems to be a trend, and Fred has too much class to let Belichick pick his brain.

Comment

• PhillyCuse
                • Jun 2015

It's a self-selecting sample. Of course lesser/rebuilding teams aren't going to be interested in an old RB.
                You can be critical of the Bills thinking it's still 1973 and investing assets in RB accordingly which is why we have more depth than most teams at that position which is why FJax was expendable in the first place. But to say that better organizations are better because they better assess the value of 34yr old rb's is hilariously misguided. They're better because they have a QB and they don't waste top picks on RBs every other year.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                  Escaped Convict
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by PhillyCuse View Post
                  It's a self-selecting sample. Of course lesser/rebuilding teams aren't going to be interested in an old RB.
                  You can be critical of the Bills thinking it's still 1973 and investing assets in RB accordingly which is why we have more depth than most teams at that position which is why FJax was expendable in the first place. But to say that better organizations are better because they better assess the value of 34yr old rb's is hilariously misguided. They're better because they have a QB and they don't waste top picks on RBs every other year.
                  Couple things:

Of course lesser/rebuilding teams aren't going to be interested in an old RB

This is bull**** that you state as fact. Lesser teams are looking to improve, and bringing in a vet like FJax to mentor and teach young players is something a smart rebuilding team would be wise to do.

which is why we have more depth than most teams at that position which

Another faux fact that's no less false regardless of how often it's repeated. Bryce Brown is a fumble waiting to happen. McCoy may have a serious injury, the kind that can become chronic. Williams just had mystery surgery. Boobie Dixon is a glorified special teams player. This is not quality depth.

But to say that better organizations are better because they better assess the value of 34yr old rb's is hilariously misguided

Another opinion framed as fact. Better organizations are better because they know the difference between players that contribute to winning systems and those who don't.

Comment

• Gibby
                    • Jun 2006

In line with what Wagon just said, I assure you that FJax will be playing in January. I am not sure yet if McCoy will be.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                      • Feb 2006

Ne always signs players who get cut within the division for insider info. No big surprise. Glad fjax went with seattle.

Comment

• Victor7
                        • Jul 2013

Uhm lets see Seattle front office or Whaley ?? toughy !

NE front office or Whaley ?? Damn hard to pick too !

Sarcasm off

Fred's cut was dumb. Plain and simple. Rex was asked how is your team better off without him. He answered we are NOT. Period. End of story.

I like Karlos, he's gonna be a good one. But Fred as a 2-3 back coming in with fresh legs to spell McCoy and/or Karlos is just dynamite. Too bad Whaley thinks his boy Bryce Brown is better. What's that ? Oh yeah he just fumbled again Douglas.

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                          Bryce Brown is a fumble waiting to happen...
                          Maybe, but hopefully not.

Like I brought up in the other thread, Brown has only fumbled five times in his career so far...all rushing the football. I also brought up an incredible coincidence. 4 out of Brown's 5 fumbles happened in 2012. If you compare Fred Jackson and Bryce Brown's stats for 2012, you'll find this: they BOTH ran the ball exactly 115 times, and they BOTH also fumbled the ball 4 times rushing the ball. I found that to be a miraculous coincidence...call it synchronicity. Apart from 2012, the only other time Brown fumbled in a real game was that horrible one against Kansas City, which is hard for any Bills fan to forget.

So Freddie and Brown both did the same thing one year, which accounts for four-fifths of all Brown's fumbles. The only difference is that Freddie averaged 3.8 YPC, and Brown averaged 4.9 YPC in 2012.

My point? It could happen to anybody.

I understand that Brown has seen fewer carries (226 total career carries), and so those five fumbles stand out more. I just think that he could be a really good running back if he can correct that problem. We'll see. I like him a lot more than most fans seem to. The guy has potential, and I hope they give him a shot at #2 this year. The official site of the Bills have this as their depth chart:

1) LeSean McCoy
                          2) Boobie Dixon
                          3) Karlos Williams
                          Other) Bryce Brown...guess this means he's the 4th-string running back, according to the depth chart anyway.

Freddie will be missed, there is no question about that. I just don't like Boobie Dixon too much at the position...not enough to be second on the depth chart. Hopefully, Brown can earn some trust around here and follow through, because he has WAY more talent than Dixon IMO. Karlos Williams I haven't seen enough of yet.
                          Last edited by feldspar; 09-09-2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• JoeMama
                            Emotion Sickness
                            • Oct 2002

Fred Jackson will make us look stupid, even in Seattle.

He's going to be an exceptional 3rd down back, and maybe more if Marshawn gets hurt.
                            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• JoeMama
                              Emotion Sickness
                              • Oct 2002

BTW if we don't make the playoffs, you best believe Fred fans will own this joint and rub his release in everyone's faces.

I know I will.
                              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X