• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

ESPN goes after Patriots throat.

The latest bombshell from Bristol links the NFL's tough stance on DeflateGate to its fumbling of the Spygate investigation.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: ESPN goes after Patriots throat.

God, I just want to beat the Pats week 2 and sack Brady until he cries. I am so sick of them.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Turf
      • Jul 2002

Been listening all morning about it and reading. Patriots look like venom, Kraft, Bellicheck, Goodell, maybe Brady? The QB's never knew?
      What a farce of an operation. I hope they become if they are not already, the most hated team in football.
      What Spartacus, did you say something you idiot?
      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

I wonder how much of all of it is true. If even half of it is, the NFL is majorly corrupt. How Roger still has his job is beyond me. That guy should've been fired about 10 times.

Comment

• Strongman
          • Apr 2006

So the Cheatriots taped 40 opposing teams that Goodell promptly destroyed. That's quite a bit more than the 6 tapes Goodell said were destroyed in 2007.

Last edited by Strongman; 09-08-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
            • Jul 2002

My favorite line in that article was:

"Stealing signals wasn't always an advantage, but it did help them against the less sophisticated teams, like the Dolphins and Bills."

Comment

• DynaPaul
              • Sep 2003

I've been saying this since it originally happened and most people think I sit around at home with a tinfoil hat on. They haven't stopped cheating and never will as long as Belichick and Adams are around. Since SpyGate they've only figured out better methods to hide what they're doing. Goodell tried to finally lay the hammer down on them with the deflated balls, mainly to quell the other owners, and that blew up in his face. The enemy here isn't the commissioner, it's this team and their owner who don't give a flying $%#^ about sportsmanship and stopping the NFL from becoming the MLB and NBA.Well, too late - the shield is tarnished now mainly because Goodell covered up SpyGate to try and NOT tarnish the shield. Once those lies spin out of control it becomes a bigger disaster down the road and he should have taken the hit back then.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

"Looking back on it, several former Patriots coaches insist that spying helped them most against less sophisticated teams -- the Dolphins and Bills chief among them -- whose coaches didn't bother changing their signals."

ughhhhh

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Strongman
                  • Apr 2006

I love this paragraph:

"In fact, many former New England coaches and employees insist that the taping of signals wasn't even the most effective cheating method the Patriots deployed in that era. Several of them acknowledge that during pregame warm-ups, a low-level Patriots employee would sneak into the visiting locker room and steal the play sheet, listing the first 20 or so scripted calls for the opposing team's offense. (The practice became so notorious that some coaches put out fake play sheets for the Patriots to swipe.) Numerous former employees say the Patriots would have someone rummage through the visiting team hotel for playbooks or scouting reports. Walsh later told investigators that he was once instructed to remove the labels and erase tapes of a Patriots practice because the team had illegally used a player on injured reserve. At Gillette Stadium, the scrambling and jamming of the opponents' coach-to-quarterback radio line ... occurred so often that one team asked a league official to sit in the coaches' box during the game and wait for it to happen. Sure enough, on a key third down, the headset went out."

Comment

• Parzival
                    This is a list: They're my demands
                    • Aug 2012

Tony Dungy stated on the Dan Patrick show a few weeks ago that while he was the coach of the Colts, Peyton Manning would refuse to talk strategy in the locker room convinced it was bugged. To clarify he was not stating whether or not the room was actually bugged, but that Manning and other coaches were suspicious enough to actually only talk game planning outside the room.
                    Over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind.

Comment

• Strongman
                      • Apr 2006

Patriots owner Robert Kraft mingled with Judge Richard Berman, who overturned the NFL suspension of Tom Brady over his alleged role in Deflategate, at a Hamptons Labor Day party full of media and business power brokers.
                      Kraft was chatting with Berman at Discovery Communications chief David Zaslav and his wife Pam’s party at their East Hampton estate, also attended by Oprah Winfrey, Martha Stewart, Harvey Weinstein, Lloyd Blankfein, NY Giants co-owner Jon Tisch and wife Lizzie, Katie Couric, and Hilaria and Alec Baldwin.

Comment

• Novacane
                        • Jul 2002

A couple well timed penalty flags is all the NFL needs to do to settle the score. There's not a damn thing any judge can do about that

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

alot of people have been saying this for years. there have been books on it. their stats are complete outliers. it's clear as day they are doing stuff that no other team is doing. and frankly, i don't think they've really found the thing they are doing.

in the end, the nfl should just hold them to the same rules the other 31 teams face on game day. no more momentum turning 3rd down flags and 4th down flags. the NFL can ensure the refs call a fair game. and that hasn't been the case during this run.

i think it will be interesting to see how the pats are treated by the zebras. if nothing changes, then i'm sure it's going to be the same old same old and the NFL converted a disasterous story into more money. they literally just have to keep the fickle pat fans engaged. the other 31 teams actually have football fans for decades. and we've stayed with the league even as we know its rigged.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                            Skoobasaurus-Rex
                            • Oct 2011

Well obviously the Pats wouldn't of deflated any balls for an advantage.

Comment

• Turf
                              • Jul 2002

The soon most hated franchise and sports team in the history of American Sports, the New England Patriots with their "oh gosh I don't know I just get the plays and balls and run them" Brady.
                              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X