PDA

View Full Version : "Taylor's time as a backup with the Ravens ... really prepared him for his big start"

ghz in pittsburgh
09-09-2015, 10:29 AM
... from Rex in today's presser.

All along I felt that was a big reason for Tyrod getting to where he is with the Bills today. He is not a rookie, wide eyed. Actually he has been in the league for 4 years, all the way to the superbowl. When people say Cassel is a vet, well Cassel has starting experience as a vet. But Tyrod, in his days sitting behind Flacco should've seen plenty defenses, ups and downs, success and failure. In many ways, what he has gone through is probably what EJ should've been going through.

djjimkelly
09-09-2015, 10:39 AM
translation we love tyrod we will try him now. EJ has real coaching for once if tyrod fails he will now understand how he is to prepare for when he gets his chance(if he gets his chance)

starrymessenger
09-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I think Tyrod will be just like, and as good as, Russell Wilson.
Of course I may not feel the same way about it come Sunday night.

The Jokeman
09-09-2015, 10:45 AM

All along I felt that was a big reason for Tyrod getting to where he is with the Bills today. He is not a rookie, wide eyed. Actually he has been in the league for 4 years, all the way to the superbowl. When people say Cassel is a vet, well Cassel has starting experience as a vet. But Tyrod, in his days sitting behind Flacco should've seen plenty defenses, ups and downs, success and failure. In many ways, what he has gone through is probably what EJ should've been going through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ddMwCaNN5w

SpikedLemonade
09-09-2015, 11:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ddMwCaNN5w

Christie sucks.

The Jokeman
09-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Christie sucks.

An injured Dan Carpenter isn't great either.

OpIv37
09-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Of course Rex is going to say that. He's not going to say "Tyrod is the least bad of our 3 options and I really wish he had more experience to go with the athleticism" even if he thinks it's true.

There is literally nothing else a coach can say to the media about starting a guy who was another team's backup last year without hurting team morale or turning off fans.

Strongman
09-09-2015, 12:08 PM

I applaud Rex's not so subtle dig at Marrone/Hackett!

feldspar
09-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Taylor also learned THREE different offenses in his four years in Baltimore. He had three different offensive coordinators go through there, so that was bound to help him learn Roman's new Bills offense a little faster. This is the 4th NFL offense he's learned. That sort of thing can't hurt, anyway. There is no substitute for experience in whatever it is that you do, though. Seems like he's had enough time to prepare as much as he ever could.

Can't wait to see what happens on Sunday. After then, at least there will be something solid to talk about...I've had enough speculation.

Let's see if he can read a defense, go through multiple reads, execute a game-plan, command the huddle, audible, make blocking checks, look off defenders, and so forth. It's about to count. I think if he is fairly accurate throwing from the pocket and doesn't get himself killed running the ball, teams won't find it very easy to defend this offense or "figure it out" later on down the line in the second half of the season. He looks like he scrambles to set up the pass, like Russell Wilson does, which is important. Can't just panic and run all the time...I haven't see that from him so far.

That's if we get half-way decent o-line play, and a running game that's as-advertised.

Lot's of "ifs." Time to show us the money.

Albany,n.y.
09-09-2015, 12:19 PM
I applaud Rex's not so subtle dig at Marrone/Hackett!
??????
How did ghz's opinion of what Rex said in the quoted title translate into Rex taking a dig at the former coaches? From "All along..." it's ghz's words, not Rex's. Rex saying "Taylor's time as a backup with the Ravens really prepared him for his big start" has nothing to do with Marrone/Hackett.

jamze132
09-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Come Sunday!!!!!

Albany,n.y.
09-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Taylor also learned THREE different offenses in his four years in Baltimore. He had three different offensive coordinators go through there, so that was bound to help him learn Roman's new Bills offense a little faster. This is the 4th NFL offense he's learned. That sort of thing can't hurt, anyway. There is no substitute for experience in whatever it is that you do, though. Seems like he's had enough time to prepare as much as he ever could.

I'm glad to see someone who see things this way. Often in the past many posters have blamed this team or other teams for ruining a QB with too many OC & QB coach changes. Since I believe that bad QBs kill coaches & not the other way around, I find your 1st paragraph a refreshing change from those who feel offensive changes destroy young QBs.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Just from pure observations, almost all the running QBs in recent NFL have some initial success. It's one of those instinct all living things on this planet have: run when you see danger. I don't deny Tyrod could be another Rob Johnson, but I have said all along that I see the most "it" factor from him than anyone wearing the Bills uniform as a QB since Flutie.

I do, however, worry about his size. People like Buddy Nix cared so much about prototype size are far from fools we fans put them to be. There are times and places you want your QB to stand there taking hits while making plays. That's where Russell Wilson separates himself from the rest where he can accomplish that without getting hurt, and I'd venture to say Wilson is one of kind, the abnormal -- not someone an organization should spend a ton of resources on.

starrymessenger
09-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Just from pure observations, almost all the running QBs in recent NFL have some initial success. It's one of those instinct all living things on this planet have: run when you see danger. I don't deny Tyrod could be another Rob Johnson, but I have said all along that I see the most "it" factor from him than anyone wearing the Bills uniform as a QB since Flutie.

I do, however, worry about his size. People like Buddy Nix cared so much about prototype size are far from fools we fans put them to be. There are times and places you want your QB to stand there taking hits while making plays. That's where Russell Wilson separates himself from the rest where he can accomplish that without getting hurt, and I'd venture to say Wilson is one of kind, the abnormal -- not someone an organization should spend a ton of resources on.

He can't be a "running QB" and succeed IMO, certainly not long term. He needs to model his game after Russell Wilson's where his mobility can be an asset in the passing game. Bills have lots of guys to run the ball, including guys like Sammy and the hybrid TEs in the short passing game, who are really big running backs on a rampage at the second level. He's not as big as Kaep so I'm not sure Roman can use him in quite the same way. Otherwise I'm not that fussed with his size. He's only an inch shorter and 10lbs lighter than the best player in the world at that position. He's also reputedly extremely strong physically for his size.

Skooby
09-09-2015, 01:30 PM
He can throw and get out of trouble, moving the ball one way or the other is what will help.