PDA

View Full Version : Steelers coaches upset as headsets filled with Pats' radio broadcast

feldspar
09-10-2015, 10:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13627398/pittsburgh-steelers-coach-coach-headsets-get-interference-new-england-patriots-radio-broadcast

Pittsburgh Steelers coaches were upset that their coach-to-coach headsets picked up the Patriots' radio broadcast for the majority of the first half of Thursday night's game, which New England went on to win 28-21.

"That's always the case. Yes. I said what I said," an unhappy Mike Tomlin said postgame regarding the headset issue, which he said has occurred repeatedly in New England.

...anyone else catch this during the game?

OpIv37
09-10-2015, 10:55 PM
They cheat. They will always cheat because Goodell is too impotent to stop them. We will never beat them because they don't play fair.

Mike
09-10-2015, 11:01 PM
So, my gut reaction was similar to yours. Then I read this:

1. NFL is responsible for headsets functioning. It's the Refs & league that put it together not the home teams.

2. Both teams experienced headset issues.

3. If/When one teams' headsets fail, the other team can't use thier headsets either. So, in all the instances that the Steelers or Pats headsets stopped functioning, neither team could use headsets.

CommissarSpartacus
09-10-2015, 11:07 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r-fAs9bj9uY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BuffaloRedleg
09-11-2015, 12:43 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r-fAs9bj9uY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Amazing that we could live in a world where there could be 2 cheaters. Or god forbid cheaters that exist at different times, for different things.

Either you are incapable of that level of analysis or you are being intentionally obtuse.

I'm not sure I know the answer anymore.

feldspar
09-11-2015, 02:15 AM
Amazing that we could live in a world where there could be 2 cheaters. Or god forbid cheaters that exist at different times, for different things.

Either you are incapable of that level of analysis or you are being intentionally obtuse.

I'm not sure I know the answer anymore.

The main thing is that if you cheat, you pay the penalty. Tomlin did in this case, and if you really wanted to be obtuse, you'd claim that there is no evidence that he did that on purpose. I'm absolutely positive that he didn't do this more than once in the NFL, though.

coastal
09-11-2015, 05:27 AM
I'm thinking the headsets going out when you're on offense is far more deleterious than when you're on defense.

CommissarSpartacus
09-11-2015, 05:36 AM
Gee, I remember when they played the game WITHOUT head sets!

Ama2ing but TRUE!

coastal
09-11-2015, 05:47 AM
That's not the way the game is played these days...

And to refute the notion that the NFL is responsible for headset functionality and to lend further detail to last night's shenanigans....

http://deadspin.com/what-exactly-happened-with-the-steelers-headsets-1730005682?utm_expid=66866090-52.r5txldOmRkqnbJxnyozIeA.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fdeadspin.com%2F

gr8slayer
09-11-2015, 06:15 AM
Good! Keep cheating until they get serious about stopping you.

trapezeus
09-11-2015, 06:36 AM
we should just give the pats the benefit of the doubt, right?

CommissarSpartacus
09-11-2015, 06:44 AM
That's not the way the game is played these days...

So what?

Radios and other electronic devices and networks can stop working, can be physically broken or can be hacked BY ANYONE.

Any team that doesn't have a plan for what happens if the headsets go out is too stupid to care about.

But that's the NFL for you.

At least half of the coaching staffs, office staffS, media and the fan bases ARE MORONS.

Anyone that complains about this can guess which half they belong to.

djjimkelly
09-11-2015, 06:45 AM
They cheat. They will always cheat because Goodell is too impotent to stop them. We will never beat them because they don't play fair.

or we should mic their change room when they come to the ralph in 2 weeks

coastal
09-11-2015, 07:05 AM
So what?

Radios and other electronic devices and networks can stop working, can be physically broken or can be hacked BY ANYONE.

Any team that doesn't have a plan for what happens if the headsets go out is too stupid to care about.

At least half of the coaching staffs, office staffS, media and the fan bases ARE MORONS.

Anyone that complains about this can guess which half they belong to.the American half?

Dr. Lecter
09-11-2015, 07:18 AM
What does the pic of Tomlin have to do with anything?

It shows they cheat too?

Does that defend the Patriots?

Or is this one of those things were you can use "you do it too" and it's OK, but it's bad for everybody else?

Albany,n.y.
09-11-2015, 08:00 AM

Ama2ing but TRUE!

It was called "The Wade Phillips Era"

justasportsfan
09-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Tomlin shouldn't whine. He should have used hand signals..........oh wait :sadwalk:

Jry44
09-11-2015, 08:08 AM
So, my gut reaction was similar to yours. Then I read this:

1. NFL is responsible for headsets functioning. It's the Refs & league that put it together not the home teams.

3. If/When one teams' headsets fail, the other team can't use thier headsets either. So, in all the instances that the Steelers or Pats headsets stopped functioning, neither team could use headsets.

The equipment being supplied by the league has absolutely nothing to do with the Pats radio network being able to bleed into the Steelers radio frequencies with their equipment.

Prior to changing careers to pursue a physical therapy career, I worked as a sound engineer. When ever a DJ would come into our house with wireless equipment, we would have to exchange frequencies to be sure that their mics didn't interfere with ours. So the actual equipment means jack ****.

Secondly.... I love how it miraculously was fixed when the league checked it out, and then happened again once league officials walked away. HELL of a coincidence....

Pinkerton Security
09-11-2015, 08:11 AM

Ama2ing but TRUE!

So that makes it a non-issue right?? Get your head out of the sand moron. No matter what caused this is was detrimental to everyone affected.

FlyingDutchman
09-11-2015, 08:24 AM
I hate the Patriots and their cheating ways but the Steelers should be worried about their joke of a defensive game plan, and how the whole defense was out to lunch on multiple occasions

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12006341_950743446053_4057228302201248216_n.jpg?oh=4047bfeef74ad08d78669ac2ae419b0d&oe=56745AFC

Jry44
09-11-2015, 08:24 AM

Ama2ing but TRUE!

Yeah.... and the ****ers video taped and translated defensive signals. No wonder Belichick voted AGAINST defensive player radios!

POTLAND PSILBYLO
09-11-2015, 09:09 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r-fAs9bj9uY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
You do it too!

CommissarSpartacus
09-11-2015, 09:13 AM
What does the pic of Tomlin have to do with anything?

A number of things.

1. Tomlin is an admitted cheater who BLATANTLY tried to affect the action on the field physically.

2. No one knows yet what the problem with the radios was, and I'm sure that if an explanation is provided, one side won't believe it.

3. Tomlin's whining about this when he KNOWS that it will whip up the Pats and Brady haters is weak, weak, weak,

Like I said, ANY organi2ation that doesn't have it's head up it's ass should be prepared for this. For all we know, this could have been the work of professional gamblers or guys that just want to make the Pats look bad.

For Tomlin to behave the way he did was unjustified and looked like an attempt to save his ass.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
09-11-2015, 09:13 AM
DidDid anyone catch the offsides against Pittsburgh when the were at the one yard line? The pats line barked out the QB's hike and drew two OL offsides. Ben went ballistic. The announcers said the patriots got away with it.

CommissarSpartacus
09-11-2015, 09:20 AM
You do it too!

Nope.

He did it. That's a fact. Whether the radios are a too has yet to be be proved, it has only been suggested. By Mike Tomlin. Who just lost.

If other people want to accuse the Pats of being the masterminds behind Radiogate, that's their right. Mike Tomlin? He needs to STFU.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
09-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Cuz he do it too

CommissarSpartacus
09-11-2015, 09:26 AM
I hate the Patriots and their cheating ways but the Steelers should be worried about their joke of a defensive game plan, and how the whole defense was out to lunch on multiple occasions

Isn't it obvious? The only reason they were out to lunch and allowed Tom Brady to have a qb rating of 143.8 is THE PATS AND BRADY WERE CHEATING SOMEHOW!

It's the only reason they ever complete a pass!

CommissarSpartacus
09-11-2015, 09:27 AM
Cuz he do it too

No, because he did it.

No too involved.

Saratoga Slim
09-11-2015, 09:31 AM

This is partly true, partly false. Here's an excerpt from an ESPN article today (http://www.espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/178579/malfunctioning-headsets-are-common-but-timing-couldnt-be-worse) that explains what happened:

• The league has an "Equity Rule" in the event of a total failure of the coach-to-coach system. (It doesn't apply to coach-to-player.) If one team has no use at all of its coach-to-coach system, the other team must discontinue its use as well until the problem is resolved.
• The equity rule was not applied Thursday night, it appears. A story on the Steelers' web site claimed that "whenever an NFL representative proceeded to the New England sideline to shut down their headsets, the Steelers headsets cleared. Then as the representative walked away from the New England sideline, the Steelers’ headsets again started to receive the Patriots game broadcast." An NFL spokesman did not immediately respond for a request to comment on that claim.
After an offseason that demonstrated a clear divide between the NFL and the Patriots, one described in detail by an Outside the Lines expose (http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart) earlier this week, it's worth noting the careful wording of the NFL's explanation for Thursday night's problems.
According to the statement, the interference Tomlin referred to was "caused by a stadium power infrastructure issue, which was exacerbated by the inclement weather." The statement noted that the "coaches' communications equipment, including the headsets, is provided by the NFL for both clubs' use on game day" but made clear that "the equipment functioned properly with no additional issues" once the power failure was resolved -- presumably by stadium officials. The NFL has added today, "Technological and stadium infrastructure issues of this type happen at many stadiums around the league and whenever there are issues of this nature, we do a thorough review."
That's true -- communication failures are not uncommon in NFL games. But an obviously agitated Tomlin said "that's always the case" in New England. According to a Yahoo Sports report, the Steelers plan to file a formal complaint. Tomlin's sentiment jibes with the OTL report, which noted it has happened so often at Gillette Stadium over the years that "one team asked a league official to sit in the coaches' box during the game and wait for it to happen. Sure enough, on a key third down, the headset went out."
In 2006, for example, Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said that his team's headsets (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3186998) "mysteriously malfunctioned" for the entire first half a Jaguars-Patriots game at Gillette Stadium. In 2007, the NFL found that the Patriots could not provide a satisfactory answer (http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677) to explain possible irregularities in its communication setup during a game, according to an ESPN report at the time.

yordad
09-11-2015, 12:12 PM
So what?

Anyone that complains about this can guess which half they belong to.
Im going to guess you didnt read, or you didnt understand, that article.

trapezeus
09-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Dynasties:
70s - Steelers -
- Cowboys
- raiders
- dolphins
80s - 49ers
90's - cowboys
- Bills to some extent

How many haters are there about these teams? Who questions their integrity. None because they were stacked with talent and won convincingly, they also declined when the talent thinned out.

Patriots somehow have the only "haters" out there. So it's not about hating winners. it has never happened previously. people certainly tire of the bulls winning a ton of championships or the oilesr winning a ton of cups, but never is the integrity challenged by fans, media, players or coaches.

a team that goes to the superbowl 7 times in 15 years with no talent because of one genius is a clear sign they aren't playing on the same footing. those genius money managers who never have a losing month are committing fraud. 6th round qb's who couldn't win the starting gig in college, doesn't miraculously dominate the league with no running backs or line play.

then you pile on the long list of discrepancies:
- spy gate
- stealing play sheets from locker rooms
- messing with headsets
- bugged locker rooms
-deflated footballs
- secondary signals to the qb,
- refs just handing calls out for hitting the qb, the tuck rule, convenient 3rd down conversion penalties

What other team keeps stepping in it. a team or two pipes in loud music, pays the fine, they stop. no other discrepancy comes in. this team is so smug and because the league ultimately has to say "the games are fair" to keep vegas gambling and people playing fantasy because ultimately that crazed fandom leads to the crazy TV contracts. its better to say, "we control the headsets, not the patriots" because if it becomes clearer that the pats are bending the rules, the fans start seeing it for the WWE that it is.
There are plenty of public docs prior to yesterday that say the hometeam is responsible for electronic headsets.

i predict the pats go on to win the superbowl and that belichick retires at the top, citing family and nothing left to prove. If this persists for a season, someone in the pats has to pay the price for it.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-11-2015, 12:29 PM
The word from Pittsburgh is that they had this kind of issue before, and had . Tomlin just reached a breaking point last night.

During the whole week here they talked about all the special things you have to do when you go to Fxoborough, like not talking about plays in locker room during half time etc. I'm sure there are special things for every stadium in the league. It just seems NE has so much special attention AWAY from the game you have to pay attention to that people involved, especially coaches, getting tired of it.

PhillyCuse
09-11-2015, 12:45 PM
3. Tomlin's whining about this when he KNOWS that it will whip up the Pats and Brady haters is weak, weak, weak,

Not as weak or tired as internet tough guy calling out "whining" that didn't really happen. Watch/read the presser in context. He was asked multiple questions about it & gave a bunch of 1-4 word answers. Not wanting to talk about it but not wanting to lie.

Sure, he could've taken a page out of the Juaron '07 playbook and been more macho with the "no comment" high road tactic. Which is pretty much what 31 teams have done for the last 8yrs. How's that worked out?

CommissarSpartacus
09-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Not as weak or tired as internet tough guy calling out "whining" that didn't really happen. Watch/read the presser in context. He was asked multiple questions about it & gave a bunch of 1-4 word answers. Not wanting to talk about it but not wanting to lie.

And yet he managed to imply that not only was this incident possibly intentional, but also a number of indeteminate incidents in the past.

Not bad for a guy who didn't want to talk about it.

Ginger Vitis
09-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Last night was the 4th time a Tomlin led Steelers team has played in Foxboro in the regular season the Steelers having won one time... Compared to 2007 a NFL head coach can now call out the Patsies publically on there cheating and it wont be construed as whining or sour grapes

Ginger Vitis
09-11-2015, 01:11 PM
The 70s Raiders Phil Villipiano admitted some defensive players wore arm pads molded as casts and would put them on after game officials inspected them to see the raiders uniforms were in alignment of the rules

sudzy
09-11-2015, 01:15 PM

Ama2ing but TRUE!

Coaches use to use hand signals. The Patriots put an end to that, too. Didn't they?

feldspar
09-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Last night was the 4th time a Tomlin led Steelers team has played in Foxboro in the regular season the Steelers having won one time... Compared to 2007 a NFL head coach can now call out the Patsies publically on there cheating and it wont be construed as whining or sour grapes

What's your point, that somebody broke the rules before?

When somebody breaks the rules, should they be punished for it? Otherwise, what's the point of having rules in a damn GAME?

sudzy
09-11-2015, 01:23 PM
In other news the Patriots have hired on Bobby Heenan to distract the refs while Bill Belichick throws in a steel chair.

psubills62
09-11-2015, 02:12 PM

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12006341_950743446053_4057228302201248216_n.jpg?oh=4047bfeef74ad08d78669ac2ae419b0d&oe=56745AFC
Patriots opened with the exact same play 3 straight times. Gained >10 yards each time, IIRC. Was ridiculous to watch at a professional level.

Night Train
09-11-2015, 02:18 PM
I can't wait to lead the "cheaters" chant next week at the Pats game.

It's going to be epic.

DynaPaul
09-11-2015, 02:33 PM
It's so easy to jam wireless and it'll never be secure. Go "old-fashioned" and use wired connections.

trapezeus
09-11-2015, 03:14 PM
seems pretty simple. you steal the handsignals from the video taping...then at home, you force them into hand signals which you've already decoded. ensure it happens on key downs, know the play in advance, win those plays.

The Jokeman
09-11-2015, 07:50 PM
seems pretty simple. you steal the handsignals from the video taping...then at home, you force them into hand signals which you've already decoded. ensure it happens on key downs, know the play in advance, win those plays.

It's all Ted Marchibroda's fault had he not given Belichick the taste of what it meant to work in the NFL he might never become what he is today.

CommissarSpartacus
09-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Gee, I don't see anyone jumping on the bandwagon today?

Did something happen that's made everyone shut up?

I can't imagine that the NFL itself announcing that the review they did totally exonerated the Patriots from having anything to do with Headsetgate would stop the hardcore haters from believing that it was all Belichick and Brady's fault.

Cu2 they're CHEATERS!

sudzy
09-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Just added my first person ever to my ignore list.

feldspar
09-12-2015, 11:10 AM
According the Steelers' website:

The broadcast was so loud that the Steelers coaches were unable to communicate, and the NFL rule is that if one team’s headsets are not working the other team is supposed to be forced to take their headsets off. It’s what the NFL calls the Equity Rule. Strangely enough, whenever an NFL representative proceeded to the New England sideline to shut down their headsets, the Steelers headsets cleared. Then as the representative walked away from the New England sideline, the Steelers’ headsets again started to receive the Patriots game broadcast.

YardRat
09-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Like I said, ANY organi2ation that doesn't have it's head up it's ass should be prepared for this.

Translation..."Anybody that plays against the Patriots in New England should expect some kind of cheating, and that makes it acceptable."

Mmmkay...

CommissarSpartacus
09-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Translation..."Anybody that plays against the Patriots in New England should expect some kind of cheating, and that makes it acceptable."

Mmmkay...

Here, translate this...

WTF is wrong with you people?

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Here, translate this...

WTF is wrong with you people?

i know... It's so weird, right? I can't figure out for the life of me why bills fans would hate the Patriots and their legion of douchebag bandwagon fans.

CommissarSpartacus
09-12-2015, 04:05 PM
i know... It's so weird, right? I can't figure out for the life of me why bills fans would hate the Patriots and their legion of douchebag bandwagon fans.

Hate who you want, just don't believe things that aren't true to do it.

Doesn't do anyone any good.

BillsImpossible
09-12-2015, 04:18 PM
It's so easy to jam wireless and it'll never be secure. Go "old-fashioned" and use wired connections.

This makes too much sense, which is why the NFL would never do such a thing.

The NFL said it would be, 'cost prohibitive,' to install fixed cameras on the goal lines this off season, even though the league raked in about $13 billion in revenue last year.

Every NFL player will have a microchip in their shoulder pads in 2015. That's why the NFL needs wireless technology.

I wonder how much THAT cost?

A lot more than 124 goal line cameras.

4 goal line cameras each in 31 NFL stadiums.

That's a minute mist in the NFL's bucket.

Compare the cost of installing 2 cameras in each endzone (one on each side of the field) to the cost of having microchips installed in to 1,696 shoulder pads in addition to the cost of maintaining the data network that is recorded from the chips and you're talking thousands of dollars vs. millions.

As an alternative, teams could ***and should*** simply hire 4 people to stand near the goal line and record it with their I-phones.

If the play is under review at the goal line, the video could be sent in seconds to the NFL's version of Toronto.

If the headsets go out, whip out the Walkie Talkies from 1984 and have a backup supply of batteries because the Cold War never ended.

Jimkelly12203
09-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Sooo... I think the ultimate question is not whether the pats cheat, but rather what are we going to do to screw with them in week two?

Are we really going to do nothing?

I mean, it's war at this point. They can do whatever they want and the neutered league can't touch them. So what do we do to mess with them in 8 days?

That's the question i have. And i have to believe that doing nothing is unacceptable. It's time to fight fire with fire.

If they're not on the level and we all know this, then why should we be on the level when they come to our house?