PDA

View Full Version : Pats are not all that good - for now

ghz in pittsburgh
09-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Under Belicchick, they always get better when the season rolls on. But right now, I just can't put them down as an elite team. They have Brady and Gronk, that's it.

The Steelers has a potent offense, but they missed two big pieces last night and still rolled NE up and down the field in NE.

Frankly I'm more optimistic about the Bills chances 9/20 than before. Steelers' D is not nearly on the same level as the Bills' and NE scored 28 at home in all charged up environment. I feel the Bills D at home can hold them to about 20 points and I actually believe we can score 20 on them, too.

Of course if Tyrod and company come out lay a big egg Sunday, I may sing a different tune ...

IlluminatusUIUC
09-11-2015, 10:30 AM
True, the Steelers may be missing two big pieces but the two biggest pieces they still had are far better than anything we can roll out. It was comforting to see New England get run on, though.

Hopefully our D has a plan for when Gronk lines up wide other then "Hide and hope Brady doesn't notice us."

Novacane
09-11-2015, 11:07 AM
I don't know. They still won. It's going to take a few weeks to know but I'd say it looks like the same old same old to me. We write them off and they find a way to win.

bleve
09-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Gronk.

Grrrrr

Two words:

Torell Troup

Thanks Buddy!

Buffalogic
09-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Their defense is going to be terrible all year. We just have to slow that offense down just a little because we can score on that crappy group they are rolling out.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-11-2015, 12:18 PM
I admit I'm kind of old schooled in that I believe a strong offense must have a strong running attack. Personally I believe the Steelers did a great favor to NE last year by giving them Blount. Likewise in my opinion, the Steelers have Ben forever, and various top shelf receivers forever, but they become top dog offense after Bell came onto the scene.

I don't see that guy in NE right now. I'm not completely sold on NE's two guards - people talk about Steelers' secondary being bad, can you name any of Steelers' D linemen? As it is now, NE can't run on Steelers' in the middle. We'll see how NE interior O-Line fare against Bills Dareus and company on pass rush as well.

TacklingDummy
09-11-2015, 12:25 PM
New England just showed that you don't have to be able to stop the run to win.
You need the Quarterback.
Sure am glad Buffalo just wasted $100 million.

Buffalogic
09-11-2015, 01:11 PM
^ lol what a dumb post. Steelers d was terrible and they have a qb and still lost.

Brady also made the steelers miss two field goals.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Brady also made the steelers miss two field goals.

And false start inside the 1. And not cover Gronk repeatedly.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Speaking about Gronk, I actually thought about having Gilmore cover Gronk one on one all game. To me Gilmore is best matching against a big physical receiver, not water bug type of receivers. Well NE has only water bug type of receivers.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
09-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Should we go for big Ben?

justasportsfan
09-11-2015, 02:00 PM

When you don't have a qb, you have make it up in some other area. In our case, we need the D to keep the game close enough that we can pull a win out of our butt until we get a qb .

DynaPaul
09-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Who cares about talent on defense when you have video tapes?

trapezeus
09-11-2015, 02:58 PM

if only the bills had you, we would have picked matt barkley in the first round to only see him get picked in the 4th round and then traded for a 6th rounder.
quite a lot of success you have as a qb picker as well, if i recall correctly.

LVGrown
09-11-2015, 03:21 PM
The way that the Steelers blew coverage on Gronk time after time was flat out ridiculous. There defenders were starring at him standing alone and nobody thought, " hmmm ... I should cover that guy." I never get annoyed watching other teams play, I was pretty annoyed watching the Steelers " I dont give a **** about covering one of the best weapons in the league" attitude.

Agree ... put Gilmore on him all day. Even if he kicks his ass Ill feel better that we tried.

MikeInRoch
09-11-2015, 03:39 PM

I'm quite certain you have an alternative that was possible this off season, right?

BillsImpossible
09-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Brady completed 25 out of 32 attempts for 288 yards, 4 TD's and zero picks. He was sacked twice.

The numbers look great, but I wasn't impressed. Brady is the master of dink and dunk.

The Patriots have no running game, and Brady's long ball is questionable.

Brady throws short perfect passes and lets his players do the rest.

Edelman had 97 receiving yards.

Gronk had 94 receiving yards.

It's an offense based on Tom Brady's rhythm of quick short passes, just like last year's Super Bowl.

That's his MO.

Most coaches have always said that it's most important to take away the, "Big Play," capability of a quarterback.

Not with Tom Brady.

Take away the small plays underneath, and force him to pass long.

If I was Donnie Henderson, I would make sure his corners give the Pats wide receivers a good chuck within five yards on every passing play.

How do they stop Gronk? Block his ass on the line of scrimmage and let Nigel Bradham cover him all day long.

Gronk isn't going to beat any team deep.

SpikedLemonade
09-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Brady completed 25 out of 32 attempts for 288 yards, 4 TD's and zero picks. He was sacked twice.

The numbers look great, but I wasn't impressed.

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!

If that is the case, prepared to be disappointed on Sunday.

TacklingDummy
09-11-2015, 06:00 PM
if only the bills had you, we would have picked matt barkley in the first round to only see him get picked in the 4th round and then traded for a 6th rounder.
quite a lot of success you have as a qb picker as well, if i recall correctly.
I don't recall saying the Bills should draft Barkley the year he came out. The previous year sure but not his senior year.

BillsImpossible
09-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Of course if Tyrod and company come out lay a big egg Sunday, I may sing a different tune ...

Tyrod Taylor is not the Easter Bunny. He's not going to lay an egg on Sunday.

The Jokeman
09-11-2015, 07:17 PM

The numbers look great, but I wasn't impressed. Brady is the master of dink and dunk.

The Patriots have no running game, and Brady's long ball is questionable.

Brady throws short perfect passes and lets his players do the rest.

Edelman had 97 receiving yards.

Gronk had 94 receiving yards.

It's an offense based on Tom Brady's rhythm of quick short passes, just like last year's Super Bowl.

That's his MO.

Most coaches have always said that it's most important to take away the, "Big Play," capability of a quarterback.

Not with Tom Brady.

Take away the small plays underneath, and force him to pass long.

If I was Donnie Henderson, I would make sure his corners give the Pats wide receivers a good chuck within five yards on every passing play.

How do they stop Gronk? Block his ass on the line of scrimmage and let Nigel Bradham cover him all day long.

Gronk isn't going to beat any team deep.

I could tell you before the game that Brady be eyeing Edelman and Gronk all game but you know what? The Steelers probably knew too and couldn't stop them. That's what's scary. That said I don't think Steelers have their traditional pass rushing LBs that allow their D to excel and their secondary is garbage. Hopefully Dareus and Kyle can take advantage of the rookies in the Patriots offensive line next week and bring some heat up the middle to get to Brady otherwise it might be a long day for our defense too.

swiper
09-11-2015, 07:21 PM
He is going to slowly get comfortable with Chandler as the year progresses.

I would love to hear how catching bullets from Brady is different from the waffle passes he always got in Buffalo.

The Jokeman
09-11-2015, 07:26 PM
He is going to slowly get comfortable with Chandler as the year progresses.

I would love to hear how catching bullets from Brady is different from the waffle passes he always got in Buffalo.

That formation with Gronk and Chandler split wide toward the goal line that lead to Gronk's 3rd TD looked like hell to defend.