PDA

View Full Version : Bucs D sees room for improvement

Gunzlingr
07-23-2003, 12:52 AM
AKE BUENA VISTA - The Bucs' defense is coming off its best season ever, one in which it was ranked first overall in the league. Nevertheless, members of that unit believe there is room for improvement.

``We look at last year and we realize we were darned good, but can we get better? Absolutely,'' SS John Lynch said. ``We have to take a good, hard look at ourselves and be honest about what we see. We have gotten better each year because we've done that each year.''

OLB Derrick Brooks played well enough last season to earn the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award, but even he has found areas that he says must be ``cleaned up.''

``Me personally, I had too many pass breakups [15] last year, so I want to finish the deal better,'' he said. ``I had some picks [a career- high five] last year, but I want more and I had a chance to get them. And I need to finish my tackles better late in games.'' CHANGE OF PACE: Dwight Smith returned two interceptions for touchdowns in the Bucs' Super Bowl victory, but that was from the nickel back position.

more (http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGAC83BAFID.html)