PDA

View Full Version : Clay had knee drained at least six times in 2014

gebobs
09-14-2015, 10:53 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13645790/questions-linger-buffalo-bills-tight-end-charles-clay-knee

The Buffalo Bills gave former Miami Dolphins tight end Charles Clay a five-year, $38 million contract this offseason, but there are questions about how long he will be able to play.

Last season, Clay had his knee drained at least a half-dozen times, a league source tells ESPN, and one reason the Dolphins balked at matching the offer sheet that Clay signed with Buffalo were the concerns about his longevity.

There were some who wondered how much longer Clay, 26, would be able to play. One doctor predicted that Clay would not be able to have much beyond one productive season in Buffalo, especially considering that he will be playing on turf at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Stupid contract is stupid.

FlyingDutchman
09-14-2015, 11:12 AM
He needs to start holding the football a whole lot better. He almost had 2 costly fumbles

better days
09-14-2015, 01:30 PM
I would bet the Bills knew everything about Clays health before signing him.

Night Train
09-14-2015, 02:00 PM
This proves we actively seek things to ***** about, no matter what.

gebobs
09-14-2015, 03:33 PM
This proves we actively seek things to ***** about, no matter what.

Who's *****ing? I'm just posting some news relevant to the forum. Clay got $26 million in guarantees and might not make it past this year. Good for him but that leaves the Bills with a hole to fill next year.

better days
09-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Who's *****ing? I'm just posting some news relevant to the forum. Clay got $26 million in guarantees and might not make it past this year. Good for him but that leaves the Bills with a hole to fill next year.

I'm not buying Clay will be done by next year.

Like I said, if the Bills were concerned about his health, they would not have given him that contract.

gebobs
09-14-2015, 03:59 PM
Probably so. It's just one MDs opinion. Ryan doesn't agree. (http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/20840/rex-ryan-takes-jab-at-mike-tannenbaum-over-charles-clay)

Like I said, if the Bills were concerned about his health, they would not have given him that contract.
Hopefully. Clay could be the TE we've been waiting for since Metzelaars.

OpIv37
09-15-2015, 06:44 AM

Question is, would the Bills have known about this before they gave him a contract? I honestly don't know the answer.

Neither the Dolphins nor Clay himself would benefit from sharing this info with the Bills. On the other hand, the Bills would be stupid to sign him without demanding to see his full medical history.

better days
09-15-2015, 06:49 AM
Question is, would the Bills have known about this before they gave him a contract? I honestly don't know the answer.

Neither the Dolphins nor Clay himself would benefit from sharing this info with the Bills. On the other hand, the Bills would be stupid to sign him without demanding to see his full medical history.

Exactly. I have no doubt the Bills looked at all of Clays medical records & had their own doctor evaluate him as well before signing him.

ParanoidAndroid
09-15-2015, 07:59 AM
None of this touches on the underlying issue and why he was experiencing so much swelling.

trapezeus
09-15-2015, 08:12 AM
you take a full physical before you sign a ridiculous contract. we know this is the case in the NFL. The bills thought that mccargo failed a physical and the colts signed him and he passed. does that mean he healed? no, it means that the doctors for each team have varying opinions on the severity.

Historian
09-16-2015, 03:44 AM
Who cares?

I had mine drained twice in one week back in June.

YardRat
09-16-2015, 04:44 AM
I don't like the contract either, but let's face it...every one of these guys risk having their career threatened every time they step on the field.

DraftBoy
09-16-2015, 04:50 AM
Who cares?

Do you run a sub 4.7 40 and play TE for the Bills? That's why people care.

Topas
09-16-2015, 04:51 AM
Who cares?
Well, but you do not need to run precise routes and do sharp cuts in your job, do you?
(EDIT: DraftBoy beat me to it :) )

I don't like the contract either, but let's face it...every one of these guys risk having their career threatened every time they step on the field.
Ok, but for some the risk is higher and for some the risk is lower. And paying big money to the ones with higher risk is ... well ... risky.

That being said, I hope the Bills FO is now less stupid with the Pegulas in place. One can hope at least ...

DraftBoy
09-16-2015, 04:51 AM

Yes...but what you're talking about and what the article is talking about is two different things. A career ending injury can't be seen coming, a guy who may have a chronic knee issue that ends his career early can be seen coming.

I didn't like the contract either, but if we get three of the five years to be highly productive then it's worth it. I have no issue with Clay for getting his payday though.

Night Train
09-16-2015, 05:31 AM
If it's about contracts, there's about 25 contracts on the Bills I don't like but that's the business of the NFL. Risk/reward.

DraftBoy
09-16-2015, 05:37 AM
If it's about contracts, there's about 25 contracts on the Bills I don't like but that's the business of the NFL. Risk/reward.

25? Damn that's a lot...I have maybe 3 that I think are bad.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-16-2015, 06:42 AM
25? Damn that's a lot...I have maybe 3 that I think are bad.

Which ones dont don't you like?

DraftBoy
09-16-2015, 06:47 AM
Which ones dont don't you like?

Urbik, Clay, and A. Williams.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-16-2015, 06:52 AM
Urbik, Clay, and A. Williams.

agree on the first two for sure

Historian
09-16-2015, 08:37 AM
Do you run a sub 4.7 40 and play TE for the Bills? That's why people care.

Yes and no.

I run 800+ miles a year.

Drain, cortisone, rest, ice. (My most recent two drains were 65 and 120 ccs)

Back to normal in 48 hours. It's the cortisone that does the trick.

Now if he's afraid of needles......

DraftBoy
09-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Yes and no.

I run 800+ miles a year.

Drain, cortisone, rest, ice. (My most recent two drains were 65 and 120 ccs)

Back to normal in 48 hours. It's the cortisone that does the trick.

Now if he's afraid of needles......

Yes but you running 800 miles at distance pace v. running, cutting, and getting hit at full speed are quite different.

Also a sub 4.7 40? That's impressive, kudos to you.

Novacane
09-16-2015, 09:52 AM
Dolphins had an offer on the table before ours. They couldn't of been that concerned.

feldspar
09-16-2015, 10:12 AM
I had my lizard drained over six times this past Sunday alone.

So there.

HHURRICANE
09-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Dolphins had an offer on the table before ours. They couldn't of been that concerned.

Exactly! Talk about a non story here.