PDA

View Full Version : O-Line is the biggest issue for the Bills right now

ghz in pittsburgh
09-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Had a chance to watch the game again. Have to say the O-Line is not nearly as good as what I saw Sunday live, and certainly far worse than what I saw in preseason. No wonder Rex said yesterday that the O-Line regressed for a few guys.

Incognito had a good game. Glenn, despite 2 penalties, did OK. Wood did not appear to be better than he was last year which is below average. Rookie Miller looked over matched quite a few times. Henderson, man, what a terrible game he had. Even in running plays away from his side, he let guys coming through so quickly stopping our runners from behind.

It really underscores what Tyrod managed inside the pocket and why we need a QB who can dealt with the kind of pressure situation the best. The 6, 7 cases where protection held up, Tyrod made plays.

Maybe it is not entirely Marrone and Co. fault last year that the O-line performed so bad. I don't know we can depend on Tyrod entirely this season if the running game is hampered by the O-Line like the Colts game.

It's reasonable to expect Miller to improve as the season goes on. After all, it is his first game as a rookie. Wood is a long time vet now; the best you can hope for is he does not continue his downward move in terms of performance. Henderson, what can I say? You expect a jump in terms of improvement going into his 2nd year. Instead, we have a problem at hand there.

SpikedLemonade
09-15-2015, 08:12 AM
I hate to say it but I told you so.

The lack of emphasis and investment in the OL will hold us back.

casdhf
09-15-2015, 08:22 AM
It isn't like they didn't try at all. I would expect that this will be addressed in the off-season. If Tyrod plays well enough to be named the starter, what else are the primary needs? OL and LB?

Pinkerton Security
09-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Hopefully they begin to gel as the season goes on, Mccoy didnt have much to work with and was visibly upset after about his 5th tackle for a loss.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-15-2015, 08:37 AM
I worry about THIS season even though they have a bigger issue in the off season (both Glenn and Incognito are UFA, Wood has a big cap, no money left to sign any quality guys).

Short term they may have to trot out more guys like a blocking TE to help blocking at the line, which can lead to predictable offense. We do have guys like Clay who is good at both blocking and receiving. But if you are the opposition D coordinator, you love to keep a dynamic guy like Clay to stay in for blocking.

Ed
09-15-2015, 08:45 AM
I thought Henderson stuck out the most when I watched the game again, but we've seen him play a lot better than that too. It's not like how you play in week 1 is how you're going to play all year. Miller should only get better and Incognito is looking like a great pick up and bargain, so they at least upgraded where they were weakest last year.

Maybe the Kromer suspension is having an impact and we'll see more improvement when he returns. It's my understanding that Roman's run blocking scheme can be complicated to learn so it may take some time. We'll just have to see if they take some steps each week, but if they struggle it's only more reason to have Tyrod in there instead of Cassel.

Saratoga Slim
09-15-2015, 09:33 AM
I think the message here is let's not get either too excited or too panicked about anything after week 1. For what it's worth we gave up zero sacks and had 147 yards rushing (albeit some of which came when Taylor had to escape). And the Colts were selling out to stop the run all day long. But I would agree that Week 1 didn't make erase any concerns we had about the OL going into the season.

justasportsfan
09-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Glenn sucked in the first game. Hope they improve.

OpIv37
09-15-2015, 10:03 AM
The other issue is I believe Indy had two rookies starting on their DL. NE's D isn't their strength but they are better than Indy.

Jimkelly12203
09-15-2015, 10:08 AM
we wont' face many weaker defensive lines than INDY... It's not a very positive sign.

SpikedLemonade
09-15-2015, 10:14 AM
It isn't like they didn't try at all. I would expect that this will be addressed in the off-season. If Tyrod plays well enough to be named the starter, what else are the primary needs? OL and LB?

No one said they did not try at all.

They just simply did not try enough.

They tried harder to acquire and pay for new RBs, TEs and WR.

They tried harder to lock up 2 DLs with new contracts.

The result will be that the DL of 4 players costs us more than 10 times more than the OL of 5 players. It will be worst next year when Glenn is lost to free agency.

Objectively one would say it is poorly constructed team salary wise unless, of course, you simply believe that any 5 fat guys can play OL in the NFL.

SpikedLemonade
09-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Hopefully they begin to gel as the season goes on, Mccoy didnt have much to work with and was visibly upset after about his 5th tackle for a loss.

I believe when you make jello, jelly or jam it still requires good ingredients. I have never tasted one of those that was made of crap.

SpikedLemonade
09-15-2015, 10:18 AM
I worry about THIS season even though they have a bigger issue in the off season (both Glenn and Incognito are UFA, Wood has a big cap, no money left to sign any quality guys).

Short term they may have to trot out more guys like a blocking TE to help blocking at the line, which can lead to predictable offense. We do have guys like Clay who is good at both blocking and receiving. But if you are the opposition D coordinator, you love to keep a dynamic guy like Clay to stay in for blocking.

$12M this year and next is a lot to pay for a blocking TE. You can get both an elite RT and G for that amount.

sahlensguy
09-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Listening to the radio feed, I thought the defensive backfield was our biggest issue. If it wasn't for a weakened Indy offensive line and our blitzing, we would have been toast. TY Hilton was eating or lunch.

Skooby
09-15-2015, 10:31 AM
We need to make some adjustments but Henderson was terrible throughout the game, he was virtually useless.

stuckincincy
09-15-2015, 12:42 PM
Here is an interesting article about the quality of offensive linemen entering from the college game these days:

Preseason Musings: Why the quality of O-line play in the NFL is getting worse
August 31, 2015, Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist

"Watching the putrid offensive line play of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers here Saturday night, with their franchise rookie passer getting sacked twice and throwing a pressure-induced pick on his first three possessions, the question many are asking around the league popped up again:

What the heck has happened to the line play in the NFL?

Throughout training camp and these mundane preseason games, much of the constant talk around the league has been about poor offensive line play, and the Bucs played that part well in their blowout loss to the Cleveland Browns on Saturday night. Tampa Bay is starting two rookies, and the right tackle who played against the Browns is a fill-in for down starter Demar Dotson and newcomer Gosder Cherilus, but even so it was a terrible showing.

They are not alone. Whether it's a lack of game planning to offset the blitzing defenses in some instances, or just flat-out bad play by a position group that seems to get worse by the year, NFL quarterbacks have mostly spent the summer with opponents in their face, or dumping them to the ground.

If your team has a good offensive line -- that's you, Dallas and a select handful of others -- consider it a great fortune. They are rare and tough to find. Many teams have major issues, including several good teams like the Seattle Seahawks.

The question is why ?"...

Article:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25285796/preseason-musings-why-the-quality-of-o-line-play-in-the-nfl-is-putrid

The Jokeman
09-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Listening to the radio feed, I thought the defensive backfield was our biggest issue. If it wasn't for a weakened Indy offensive line and our blitzing, we would have been toast. TY Hilton was eating or lunch.

Yep, it's why everyone has to forget about focusing on stopping Gronk but stopping Edelman. As Edelman can sustain drives with his 3rd down catching and/or making 3rd downs more manageable with 1st and 2nd down catches. That said we did lose Graham on our first defensive snap, hopefully he'll be back and give Darby more help.

Mace
09-15-2015, 04:46 PM
1st game, new system. Give 'em time. For that matter Roman's complex rushing offense looked a little cranky. Same thing. Give 'em time.

The Jokeman
09-15-2015, 04:50 PM
1st game, new system. Give 'em time. For that matter Roman's complex rushing offense looked a little cranky. Same thing. Give 'em time.

I think the running looked good except for 3 or 4 plays when McCoy got slammed for large losses. Especially that opening play with Cassel in at QB left me questioning things but as the game went on it was obvious Roman knows how to create offense.

YardRat
09-15-2015, 04:51 PM
I agree, the oline was definitely disappointing...I haven't re-watched the game, but the pass blocking didn't seem that bad, even from Henderson...they seemed to struggle much more run blocking which is probably what we should expect until Taylor can get teams to lay back a little bit and respect the pass more.

chris66
09-15-2015, 04:53 PM
That's what makes this game interesting. Good D vs. Good offense. Average D against avg offense

The Jokeman
09-15-2015, 04:58 PM
I agree, the oline was definitely disappointing...I haven't re-watched the game, but the pass blocking didn't seem that bad, even from Henderson...they seemed to struggle much more run blocking which is probably what we should expect until Taylor can get teams to lay back a little bit and respect the pass more.

I think the most telling thing is the Bills offense produced with no production from Sammy Watkins, so if Belechick puts Revis island on him that leaves a lesser CB on Percy or Wood. Yet as recall the Steelers game I remember the Patriots had Malcolm Butler on Antonio Brown and the Super Bowl hero was far from great.

Mace
09-15-2015, 04:58 PM
I think the running looked good except for 3 or 4 plays when McCoy got slammed for large losses. Especially that opening play with Cassel in at QB left me questioning things but as the game went on it was obvious Roman knows how to create offense.

Agree. Over time they'll just get more polished and used to working with it. Looked like a purposeful offense. Not like the last couple years of playcalling without context.

chris66
09-15-2015, 05:02 PM
I think the most telling thing is the Bills offense produced with no production from Sammy Watkins, so if Belechick puts Revis island on him that leaves a lesser CB on Percy or Wood. Yet as recall the Steelers game I remember the Patriots had Malcolm Butler on Antonio Brown most of the night and he wasn't great.
Antonio Brown is better than any receiver the Bills have. Butler actually didn't do to bad for his first start.
There is also no Rothlesburger on the Bills either

The Jokeman
09-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Antonio Brown is better than any receiver the Bills have. Butler actually didn't do to bad for his first start.

Oh shoot, I forgot that Revis was with the Jets lol. I was questioning why Butler was on Brown and not Revis. That said I like Watkins against Butler.

The Jokeman
09-15-2015, 05:12 PM

Butler had moments where he was good but Brown still caught 8 of 9 balls against him for 124 yards according to this http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2015/09/malcolm_butler_not_down_on_the_corner

chris66
09-15-2015, 05:19 PM
Butler had moments where he was good but Brown still caught 8 of 9 balls against him for 124 yards according to this http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2015/09/malcolm_butler_not_down_on_the_corner
Yeah he's Antonio Brown he is probably the best all around receiver in the nfl right now.. Butler did OK he had good coverage. Ben threw some really good balls. That being said his td was garbage time.

The Jokeman
09-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Yeah he's Antonio Brown he is probably the best all around receiver in the nfl right now.. Butler did OK he had good coverage. Ben threw some really good balls. That being said his td was garbage time.

It was and agree Antonio in the top 5 of the league at WR but again my point initially was more that the Bills won despite no production from our best WR.

chris66
09-15-2015, 05:36 PM
It was and agree Antonio in the top 5 of the league at WR but again my point initially was more that the Bills won despite no production from our best WR.
Bills also play rd a softer than puppy poop Colts team. That team downright sucks

The Jokeman
09-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Bills also play rd a softer than puppy poop Colts team. That team downright sucks

I'm not saying the Bills are going to beat the Pats as have my doubts but like our chances.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Don't forget who's throwing the ball to Antonio Brown. Hint, he's better than any Bills QB since Kelly retired.

chris66
09-15-2015, 06:10 PM
I'm not saying the Bills are going to beat the Pats as have my doubts but like our chances.
You should. On paper it's a pretty even match. I put 25 on the Bills.

BillsImpossible
09-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Tyrod Taylor avoided at least 3 sacks by using his feet.

When pass protection broke down, Taylor improvised.

Taylor is so dynamic. He can take the ball to the house on any play with his feet, and arm.

Zero sacks after a poor showing.

I can deal with that.

OpIv37
09-15-2015, 07:03 PM

NE comes to town in 5 days. There is no time.

OpIv37
09-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Tyrod Taylor avoided at least 3 sacks by using his feet.

When pass protection broke down, Taylor improvised.

Taylor is so dynamic. He can take the ball to the house on any play with his feet, and arm.

Zero sacks after a poor showing.

I can deal with that.

Most of the DL's we play this year will be better than Indy's. Another poor performance like that and we are dead in the water against most teams.