PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else concerned about the new concussion protocol?

OpIv37
09-15-2015, 12:15 PM
From a player health standpoint, I understand why they are doing and while I don't know anything about concussions, it seems like the smart way to go.

This is admittedly a bit paranoid, but I just have this nightmare that we are down by 5 with 2:00 to go and the ball, and Watkins and McCoy accidentally tap helmets getting up from the play and the "impartial observers" make them both leave the field.

Ok that's a bit far-fetched, but the NFL has a history of not applying rules consistently and I could see a situation where one of our players has to leave while, say, a Patriots player may be allowed to keep playing after an almost identical hit.

ParanoidAndroid
09-15-2015, 01:44 PM
And I thought I was paranoid.

Joe Fo Sho
09-15-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm more concerned with the new PAT distance. Losing a game after scoring the game tying touchdown with no time left on the clock and missing the extra point would be the most Buffalo Billsiest thing ever.

OpIv37
09-15-2015, 02:02 PM
And I thought I was paranoid.

People always forget this but the Music City Mirage happened not long after they brought back instant replay. The rule was that only officials can challenge under 2:00 (and I think it's still the rule). Well, a Buffalo WR caught the ball with under 2:00 in the first half in bounds but was ruled out. No replay granted. Buffalo punts. A few plays later, same thing happens to Tennessee but they ARE granted the replay and the call is overturned. They scored before the half....

Ever since then, every rule change seems to negatively affect us. And no, I don't mean they are intentionally screwing us. But I mean something happens where there is a bad call or inconsistent application of the new rules (5 yard chuck rule is a great example), or maybe just a crucial play where we would have been better off with the old rules.

This is the first time that someone other than the coach can take a player out of the game. I can see a lot of problems resulting from it.

notacon
09-15-2015, 02:11 PM
From a player health standpoint, I understand why they are doing and while I don't know anything about concussions, it seems like the smart way to go.

This is admittedly a bit paranoid, but I just have this nightmare that we are down by 5 with 2:00 to go and the ball, and Watkins and McCoy accidentally tap helmets getting up from the play and the "impartial observers" make them both leave the field.

Ok that's a bit far-fetched, but the NFL has a history of not applying rules consistently and I could see a situation where one of our players has to leave while, say, a Patriots player may be allowed to keep playing after an almost identical hit.

That's the whole point of the protocol. Team doctors may take into consideration the situation of the game instead of the health of the players.

My only concern is why the NFL did not do this decades ago. Many, many, many ex-players are paying the price.

trapezeus
09-15-2015, 02:46 PM
the protocol existed last year and edelman was knocked out but allowed to stay in and make essentially the game winning TD catch. so of course the rules aren't applied evenly, specifically when the patriots are involved. but remember, when you cite hundreds of examples of unfairness for the pats benefit, it makes you a conspiracy person. you have to keep your mouth shut and just accept it until ESPN covers it.

OpIv37
09-15-2015, 05:41 PM
That's the whole point of the protocol. Team doctors may take into consideration the situation of the game instead of the health of the players.

My only concern is why the NFL did not do this decades ago. Many, many, many ex-players are paying the price.

Yeah, well, NFL refs are supposed to be objective too, but we both know the rules aren't always enforced consistently. that's my concern.

Buddo
09-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Supposedly, the quacks allocated, are completely independent. If they suspect a concussion, then they can probably do whatever they want.

Now, I've not looked too closely, at who decides if the quacks need to be involved. Iirc, the zebras can ask them to check someone out, but I don't know if there's anyone else who can insist it happens, other than them. Once the quacks are involved, as I understand it, it's their call, and nothing anyone can do about it.

I've got something in the back of my head that is telling me there's an official somewhere, whose job it is, is to look out for players exhibiting 'symptoms', and to then refer them, but I'm really not too sure about this.

The one thing I do find interesting about it though, is that once a player is in the 'concussion protocol', that's pretty much it as far as coaches are concerned, i.e. they get no say in the matter, and get no real information out of it.

Pretty much all you hear from coaches, is 'so and so is in the concussion protocol', with no elaboration at all.

YardRat
09-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Well that didn't take long

trapezeus
09-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Third down play and they took out a guy who shows no signs of a concussion. Edelman meanwhile I allowed to score the game winning td in the Super Bowl when he was clocked earlier in the drive.

No double standards here