• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Biggest Game Since the Debacle

That's what I call the game we went out to Indy and Fade told the team they were out of the playoff race--they went out and laid an egg. I drove to Indy that weekend to see the game. Had a great time but it also led to my disillusion with the mentality of the organization.

Things have changed. It's week 2 of a new NFL season--seemingly early to be playing make or break games. Make no mistake a win this weeks puts us in play to win the division and a loss does a ton of damage against that goal. 2 wins against top AFC opponents one in our division to start the season puts us in the playoffs if we can get decent QB play throughout the season...if could even propel us to home field advantage throughout the playoffs. We haven't seen a game like this in a long time. I really want to be there but don't have a ticket.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Biggest Game Since the Debacle

this is the game that will define our team. The Cheaters are the team to beat. I never wish physical harm on anyone but i hope we pound the crap out of Brady that he turns into to Trent Edwards after he got pounded.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• gebobs
      One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
      That's what I call the game we went out to Indy and Fade told the team they were out of the playoff race--they went out and laid an egg. I drove to Indy that weekend to see the game. Had a great time but it also led to my disillusion with the mentality of the organization.
      Pardon, but who is Fade?

Things have changed. It's week 2 of a new NFL season--seemingly early to be playing make or break games.
      No break, but possibly make.

Make no mistake a win this weeks puts us in play to win the division and a loss does a ton of damage against that goal. 2 wins against top AFC opponents one in our division to start the season puts us in the playoffs if we can get decent QB play throughout the season...if could even propel us to home field advantage throughout the playoffs. We haven't seen a game like this in a long time. I really want to be there but don't have a ticket.
      Right on. I'm on the fence with T-Mobile which is more optimistic than I was a month ago. His size troubles me.
      Last edited by gebobs; 09-16-2015, 09:47 AM.
      Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
        Pardon, but who is Fade?
        I assume he means "Wade". He's badmouthing the last coach that actually took us to the playoffs.
        "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• imbondz
          Democrats are people too
          • Jan 2003

Not really. The Pittsburgh game we choked in '04 was bigger. It is the biggest game this season tho!
          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• gebobs
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MikeInRoch View Post
            I assume he means "Wade". He's badmouthing the last coach that actually took us to the playoffs.
            Losing to future HOFer Peyton Manning is The Debacle? Mkay.

Comment

• Buffalogic
              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
              • Feb 2006

Whether we win or lose this game doesn't define the team. We have to keep improving as the season wears on either way. A win would be great though.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                Not really. The Pittsburgh game we choked in '04 was bigger. It is the biggest game this season tho!
                Agreed. I wanted to go down onto the field and club Bledsoe. He was horrible.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Was it? That game lacked so much relevance our opponent put 2nd and 3rd stringers on the field.

The game I cited was a Monday night match-up between two teams tied in the standings. Indy made the playoffs and we didn't. It was a huge bungle by our head coach to tell the players both teams were out of the race. Our organization was failing to adapt to the direction of the league...a tradition that was continued with the acquisition of Bledsoe and a long run of poor coaches.

This weeks game is more relevant because the right mixture of stuff wasn't there for us to be successful for years. It's here now and time to make a play.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                    The coaching, front office and management was awful.

Comment

• Swiper
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

Yep he was.

Pittsburgh Steelers 29 at Buffalo Bills 24 on January 2nd, 2005 - Full team and player stats and box score

Comment

• imbondz
                        Democrats are people too
                        • Jan 2003

Was it? That game lacked so much relevance our opponent put 2nd and 3rd stringers on the field.

The game I cited was a Monday night match-up between two teams tied in the standings. Indy made the playoffs and we didn't. It was a huge bungle by our head coach to tell the players both teams were out of the race. Our organization was failing to adapt to the direction of the league...a tradition that was continued with the acquisition of Bledsoe and a long run of poor coaches.

This weeks game is more relevant because the right mixture of stuff wasn't there for us to be successful for years. It's here now and time to make a play.
                        It was huge at the time. I thought it was a given we were in the playoffs that year. This game is relevant but not more. We would have been in the playoffs had we won that game. Can't get much more relevant

We can lose Sunday and still win the division by 4 games this year. It's too early in the season to make those claims imo. Don't get me wrong it's a big game for this organization, for fans, for national relevance but it's only the 2nd game of the season.
                        My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

It was huge at the time. I thought it was a given we were in the playoffs that year. This game is relevant but not more. We would have been in the playoffs had we won that game. Can't get much more relevant

We can lose Sunday and still win the division by 4 games this year. It's too early in the season to make those claims imo. Don't get me wrong it's a big game for this organization, for fans, for national relevance but it's only the 2nd game of the season.

I hear what you are saying but could not disagree more. In fact, my point is made by the very season you are citing. When the Bills blew their home opener on the last play of the game against JAX that was the game that took them out of the playoffs not the PIT game. A mediocre team does not get beat by a team that goes 15-1 claiming they "blew it". I said it when Leftwich threw the pass for the winning TD on the last play of the game: playoff hopes dashed right there.

Comment

• gebobs
                            • Sep 2003

It was pretty damn relevant for our side. Win and in. End of story.

I was in Aruba watching the game with a buddy at a sports bar. Place was packed with Jets fans. Bills were on a 6-game winning streak after an 0-4 start and the Jets season was collapsing. I had no doubt that the Bills would be in the playoffs and the obnoxious Jets fans would shut their big fat gobs.

Nate Clements fumbled a punt return on the 20 but the Bills held them to a FG. The Steelers just kicked frickin' field goals all day.

And then...Bledsoe. The statue that he was, gets sacked and fumbles the ball. Touchdown Steelers. Next drive, Bledsoe fumbles and the Bills are forced to punt.

The Jets lost in OT to the Rams, but backed in to the playoffs because we sucked so bad.

No game in Week 2 could possibly be more relevant than one in Week 17 with the playoffs on the line.
                            Last edited by gebobs; 09-17-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• gebobs
                              • Sep 2003

When the Bills blew their home opener on the last play of the game against JAX that was the game that took them out of the playoffs not the PIT game.
                              Huh? That makes zero sense. Despite any of the five losses through Week 6, they beat the Steelers they were in.

Comment

Working...
                              X