PDA

View Full Version : Football 101

Dman
07-23-2003, 05:32 AM
IMO the game of Football is a for the most part a game of 'mistakes' and that the outcome of each and every one is determined by the team that makes the least amount or takes the the fullest advantage of the other teams mistakes.

Somebody misses a block, QB gets a bad read, receivers run the wrong route, DB's miss or drop coverages, somebody misses the snap count, high snap, low snap, holding, pass interference, block behind the back, cover guys leave their lanes on punts and KO's, fumbles, interceptions, all kinds of maladies come into play and determine the outcome of every game. A great play by one team can usually be directly attributed to a mistake on the other side of the ball. That's the beauty of the game.

In the SB run years I remember Kelly having horrendous stats for 3/4 of the game and yet I knew as most people did that in the end he would get the team in a position to win the game. If you just analized his stats at the end of one of those games you'd think that he played awful but a win erases those negatives with every team.

That is all that I expect from DB. I really don't care what his stats are at the end of the game...just get the team in a position to win.

That's all I've got to say about that.

LtBillsFan66
07-23-2003, 07:52 AM
I agree 100%. :up:

Stewie
07-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Me too.

WG
07-23-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Dman
That is all that I expect from DB. I really don't care what his stats are at the end of the game...just get the team in a position to win.

Well, generally speaking, he didn't deliver then!

Raiders, K.C., S.D., N.E. (2), Jets (2), G.B.

I've heard all the excuses so there's no need to unleash them again. But the truth is that in all of those games Drew did little of what you just said above if anything at all in some of those games.

WG
07-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Football 102:

O: Scores points

D: Deters opponents from scoring points

Wins/Losses: Are determined by the differential between PF and PA. The team w/ the + differential goes home w/ the win.

It's a concept that's been lost in Buffalo last season in terms of evalutating individual and team talent. I think we'll find our way back however...

justasportsfan
07-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Well, generally speaking, he didn't deliver then!

Raiders, K.C., S.D., N.E. (2), Jets (2), G.B.

I've heard all the excuses so there's no need to unleash them again. But the truth is that in all of those games Drew did little of what you just said above if anything at all in some of those games.

I agree completely......

....with DMAN :D

Turf
07-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Well in the first Jet's game he did throw a TD with 15 secs left on a 4th down play, so I'm going to take that one back from ya.
He also won some big games last year.
What Drew brought besides his arm and stats was leadership and hope that no one else could have brought to this team or fans in the measure he did.

G. Host
07-23-2003, 02:06 PM
Football 103:

Bad Special teams make it difficult for Offense to Score points and defense tp Deters opponent from scoring points.

Hopefully all three sides of this trangle will be in sync this year.

NewYorkCity Backers
07-23-2003, 02:26 PM
I concur G. Host.

WG
07-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by G. Host
Football 103:

Bad Special teams make it difficult for Offense to Score points and defense tp Deters opponent from scoring points.

Hopefully all three sides of this trangle will be in sync this year.

I agree fully G, but then let's not take credit away from the D due to "what the STs did/did not do."

Dman
07-23-2003, 03:48 PM
My point with this post was not to bring up the past.
Last season is history to be filed away along with the previous RJ, DF and Gomer debacles ..what's done is done..

My point was that this is a new season, the slate is clean, we're presently on top of our division.
This team appears to be a better team than what was fielded in the recent past.
I simply stated what my expectations are...for this year and the future...not what they were in the past.

(remembering I predicted 10-6 with RJ)
:stupid:

Morgoth
07-23-2003, 03:51 PM
You're right Wys. The defense stunk it up for 3/4 of the season but we can't blame them for the bad play of the special teams. They did that all on their own.

justasportsfan
07-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Dman

(remembering I predicted 10-6 with RJ)
:stupid:

Do us a favor then, DON"T MAKE ANY PREDICTIONS! :club:

Dman
07-23-2003, 03:57 PM
too late...I've already stated 11-5...maybe 12-4..