If Sammy Watkin's disuse didn't bother you as it was...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    • Sep 2010

If Sammy Watkin's disuse didn't bother you as it was...

it might after reading this:

Rams coach Jeff Fisher was an assistant coach on the 1985 Bears, and on the great Eagles defenses of the late 1980s. He knows a great defense when he sees it.And Fisher says that when it comes to defensive dominance, he’s never seen anything like his own second-year defensive tackle, Aaron Donald.

“The way Aaron Donald played, I can’t remember seeing a tackle have an impact on a game the way Aaron Donald did in this game,” Fisher said on Mike & Mike.

Fisher noted that Donald blew up the Seahawks’ final fourth-and-1 play in overtime, but Fisher says it goes way beyond just that, and that Donald was having an outstanding game up to that point as well. Fisher even went so far as to mention Reggie White, perhaps the greatest defensive lineman ever to play the game, when talking about the way Donald affects opposing offenses.

Donald was the defensive rookie of the year last year and is off to a phenomenal start to his second season, and he looks like a brilliant draft choice by the Rams as the 13th overall pick in last year’s NFL draft. In fact, it may be time to ask what on earth those 12 teams that passed on Donald were thinking: In his final season at Pittsburgh Donald won every major award that a defensive lineman can win in college football (the Nagurski Trophy and Bednarik Award for best defensive player, the Outland Trophy for best lineman and the Lombardi Award for best lineman or linebacker), and then put on an amazing display of athleticism at the Scouting Combine. Some teams thought that at 6-foot-1 and 285 pounds he was too small to play defensive tackle in the NFL; those teams ought to re-assess how they evaluate talent.

Of course, the Rams were one of the 12 teams that passed on Donald before using him with their second first-round pick. If the Rams had known what kind of player he was, they wouldn’t have passed on him the first time. They’re lucky he was still available, because he’s turning into one of the best players in the NFL.
    Let's get Watkins involved this weekend. Make me forget about this article.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: If Sammy Watkin's disuse didn't bother you as it was...

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
    I'll see what I can do.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
      • Jun 2015

If Tyrod continues to play like he has and (god forbid) gets better, Sammy will have been worth it. IF we continue to lack a competent quarterback, then having a great WR like Sammy was a waste. It's as simple as that if you ask me.
      All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

idk if you guys know this but Sammy is on our team and hes really good - get over it!!! Lets get pumped about this weekend!

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
          • Apr 2005

He was double teamed. Tyrod did the smart thing and didn't screw up. He was never forced to do anything. He took what was given and the offense played well. It shouldn't matter if he is heavily involved or not if we beat a team like that

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

if other receivers are getting the ball because sammy is doubled and they are scoring 24 points with a strong run game....i'm not going to complain.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

This place would've imploded if the Bills took a DT with the pick they used on Sammy

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
                He was double teamed. Tyrod did the smart thing and didn't screw up. He was never forced to do anything. He took what was given and the offense played well. It shouldn't matter if he is heavily involved or not if we beat a team like that
                I guess INO it's about Tyrod than it is Sammy. A great qb will find his playmaker no matter how many players a D puts on him. If you are able to force the ball on a receiver that a D game plans for successfully, imagine what it can do for Woods , Hogan, etc. and the running game.

I'll take the win from last Sunday but if we are to take the next step , we will need Watkins.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                  This place would've imploded if the Bills took a DT with the pick they used on Sammy
                  Perhaps. He has his injury record, and remember, BUF forked over a steep price to move up to grab him in the 2014 draft.

I am a fan of continually stocking up the DL because interior pressure matters a lot with the rules that so favor the pass game.
                  Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• feldspar
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                    I guess INO it's about Tyrod than it is Sammy. A great qb will find his playmaker no matter how many players a D puts on him. If you are able to force the ball on a receiver that a D game plans for successfully, imagine what it can do for Woods , Hogan, etc. and the running game.

I'll take the win from last Sunday but if we are to take the next step , we will need Watkins.
                    It all depends on how defenses are playing us as to who gets the ball. The Colts put their best CB (who is good) and also a safety on Sammy last week a lot. Opened things up for Harvin. After a while the Bills didn't even need to pass the ball much because of the lead, and we were dominating. I'm not too worried about Sammy not having a catch last week...doesn't take anything away from HIM because it's a team effort. Different players will see more action than others from week-to-week. They've been telling us this from the get-go.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      it might after reading this:

The Bills have the best DL in the NFL. The last thing they needed last year was to spend a 1st round pick on a defensive lineman.

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

We have Dar and KW and you're complaining we didn't take this guy after one game?

Comment

• Oaf
                          Do you read what you write?
                          • Jun 2007

As it is, WRs that cost two first round picks *force* their use. You shouldn't have to bend over backwards to "get them involved". Just watch Julio Jones and DT in Denver. Watkins made a game-changing play in DET but beyond that doesn't look like an equivalent WR.

Comment

• John Doe
                            Florida Man
                            • Jul 2002

Watkins had a big impact on the game.

He took the pressure off of the other receivers just by stepping on the field. On one play in particular he drew coverage away from Robert Woods leaving him wide open for any easy play. He showed what he could do last season - the rest of the league took note. He has to be accounted for and that means less coverage for the rest.

And, he threw an important block to get K. Williams into the endzone - a real heads-up play.

The guy had a big influence on the game without catching a pass.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                              The Bills have the best DL in the NFL. The last thing they needed last year was to spend a 1st round pick on a defensive lineman.
                              Maybe not last draft. But you need to recharge a DL more or less continually these days. IMO. I'll pass on whether or not BUF's is the best - there are several strong ones, and if the (aging) K Williams loses a step, gets a season-ending injury, who on this bench fills in and approaches his level of play? They have drafted a total of three DTs since they moved up to grab McCargo in 2006...Dareus, Troup, and Jasper.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X