X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

My observation of the Pats game

First, I admit I was wrong. I really thought we had a chance - the first drive by either side seemed to reinforce my belief (we run the ball on them; Brady can have his completions but we just tackle them for short completions). But things changed right after that. The game would be lost in the next 20 minutes.
    1. Penalties. Rex's team has always been on the undisciplined side. Part of it is his motivation. I really hope that this is something he learned from his past but apparently this team carried that bad trait.
    2. The D-Line and I think this is where the game is lost. Rex admitted as much in his presser that he thought he had some good match ups there but "was not the case." I'm very disappointed at Dareus that he could not give Brady more of a hassle straight up the middle, like pushing his man back straight back at Brady. Not today I guess. Say what you want, but NE is very well coached, even with the rookie interior. Whatever stunts the Bills threw at them, they seemed to have guys in right assignment waiting for us, even though they may have a WR blocking Hughes.
    3. Adapting to the game. Rex should be responsible for the loss. The defense is slow to adapt. Judging by what we saw second half where they brought more pressure. Rule #1 for me is that you have to have pressure on Brady. 4 men rush not working? need to change right away.
    4. Tyrod ***** the bed a bit in the 5 series after the 1st drive. NE's D changed right after the first drive and it took Tyrod a lot of time to get his read back. You can tell by the body language and some of throws (too hard for the short throws, sail over in intermediate ones). He needed to attack the deep routes immediately.

On to Miami, probably another challenge as they play first game on the road. Probably won't have much success running the ball. I need to see some improvement from Tyrod.

btw I gave McCoy some prop. He played hard considering his injury in all phases of the game (running, receiving, AND blocking).
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: My observation of the Pats game

Tyrod did a pretty good EJ impersonation today.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

Tyrod didn't do much until the Pats were up 24 in the fourth.
      We all know that's garbage time stats.

Comment

• Aggie
        • Aug 2015

Bills were out coached plain and simple. When you get out coached, your good players don't look good. Your strengths aren't strengths. Your weaknessess are weaker. The pats were up to the line snapping the ball and executing. The bills were up to the line turing around frantically yelling and pointing and shrugging their shoulders. Just old fashioned out coached.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Idiotic not to blitz...especially idiotic to continue to not blitz when not blitzing is not working. We didn't even really blitz the whole first half.

The result? The most passing yards against the Bills in team history.

Looks like the defensive mastermind outsmarted himself this time.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

on an upbeat note, the Dolphins have looked like garbage in their first two games.

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                Idiotic not to blitz...especially idiotic to continue to not blitz when not blitzing is not working. We didn't even really blitz the whole first half.

Yeah. Maybe Ryan isn't as good as everybody thinks he is. I've been saying so since the day he was hired. Wait until he starts his clock management screw-ups.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

Let's not go overboard here regards to Rex. NE offense under Brady has always targeted waterbugs type of receivers -- short area quickness -- for obvious reasons. Brady wants to get rid of the ball under 2 seconds; he needs someone gets open in 2 seconds. I think the Pats have two receivers plus Lewis who can do that and the Bills don't have that many CB with the skill set to stay with these guys up close. I see the Bills reasoning to stay 5 - 7 yards away. Just coming up make a solid tackle.

The book on beating Brady is well written, by the Giants. Your D-Line needs to be able to own their O-Line. Pressure + solid tackles. So even if their shifts getting into a favorable match up, i.e. a linebacker on Lewis or one those small receivers, the defender does not have to cover long. Simply put, the Bills D line failed the team yesterday. A mixed in blitz would help, I think. But I'm not sure you can rely on the blitz to beat Brady as the calling card.

Comment

• mdcas22
                    the mouth of the south
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                    Yeah. Maybe Ryan isn't as good as everybody thinks he is. I've been saying so since the day he was hired. Wait until he starts his clock management screw-ups.
                    I wanted us to hire Roman as the head coach not Ryan, Ryan is doing exactly what he did in New York, don't think he can get this defense in the top 5 and it seems all REX Ryan teams are not disciplined. could be why they say the players love him, he is too easy on them. look at Harvin!! never practice's yet plays, bad trend too get started.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                      Pinkerton's son
                      • Feb 2006

The penalties were horrific - and I obviously hope he's OK but before his injury Aaron Williams was a MESS. He was raving and ranting and acting like a mad man, Rex really needed to reel him in but didnt. Rex needs to rein in these penalties because they put is in a lot of bad situations and we're not a good enough team to have penalties like that against the Pats.

This being said, we showed some character in getting ourselves back into a position to be in the game after falling behind by 20 - was ever so slightly encouraging. I think we'll be there fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the year but need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot if we want to compete with the big boys.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post

That's what I was thinking, I don't remember seeing a blitz all game, especially when we were not getting to Brady at all.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                          • Aug 2004

I still don't concede the division to the Pats, yet. Generally no team go wire to wire invincible in NFL without far superior talent and i still don't think the Pats team is that more talented than everybody else. Sure Brady himself probably increased the Pats talent by 50%, and he is out there with a revenge mindset this season, but there is still the other 50% of talent needed. Even within the division, Dolphins, Jets all have stout defense to face them twice, and someone is likely to crack the code. Remember 2010 Rex's Jets? they got blown out 45-3 at NE and then went on beat them in the playoff.

This loss, if used right, can be a good thing if Rex and coach staff is truely top notch. We'll see. To me, if the Bills can gradually improve the O-Line run blocking play as the season goes along, they will be there at the end.
                          Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 09-21-2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X