PDA

View Full Version : Something that should't be lost among this game

IlluminatusUIUC
09-20-2015, 07:00 PM
What in the name of God was Rex thinking trying to challenge Tyrod's first sack? Challenges and timeouts are some of the most valuable things a team has, and he was going to use it to move the ball up 7 yards for a punt? Even if the challenge had been successful, it would have been 4th and 9!

Skooby
09-20-2015, 07:03 PM
He would of won.

jimmifli
09-20-2015, 07:08 PM
First half timeouts aren't worth much. Second half challenges and timeouts are quite different.

Field position is more important, especially in the first half.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-20-2015, 07:14 PM
First half timeouts aren't worth much. Second half challenges and timeouts are quite different.

There is no such thing as a "first half challenge" or "second half challenge." They draw from the same pool. If you get your first two right, then you get a third.

Field position is more important, especially in the first half.

7 yards to set up a punt is meaningless compared to a challenge that could swing field position by 40+ yards or convert a 4th down into a first.

psubills62
09-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I thought that was weird too.

mdcas22
09-20-2015, 07:43 PM
What in the name of God was Rex thinking trying to challenge Tyrod's first sack? Challenges and timeouts are some of the most valuable things a team has, and he was going to use it to move the ball up 7 yards for a punt? Even if the challenge had been successful, it would have been 4th and 9!

agreed . Rex has never been the smartest when it comes to challenge's. there was nothing to gain so he should have left it alone.

jimmifli
09-20-2015, 08:17 PM
There is no such thing as a "first half challenge" or "second half challenge." They draw from the same pool. If you get your first two right, then you get a third.

7 yards to set up a punt is meaningless compared to a challenge that could swing field position by 40+ yards or convert a 4th down into a first.

He was right and would have won. Zero chance he loses the challenge.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-20-2015, 08:27 PM
He was right and would have won. Zero chance he loses the challenge.

You want to put your faith in that set of zebras over 7 yards?

Seven.

Yards.

It wouldn't have converted the first, it wouldn't have moved us away from our goal line, it wouldn't have put us in FG range. All it would have done is let us punt from the 29 instead of the 23. For that you risk a timeout and use a challenge? Lordy.

YardRat
09-20-2015, 08:30 PM
I asked the same question, but IIRC the punt was pretty shabby and could only rationalize by figuring he expected to get a better result and worse field position the second time around.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-20-2015, 08:34 PM
I asked the same question, but IIRC the punt was pretty shabby and could only rationalize by figuring he expected to get a better result and worse field position the second time around.

He threw the flag before the 4th down was snapped, they just failed to see it. He couldn't know how the punt turned out before challenging the previous play.

YardRat
09-20-2015, 08:41 PM
You're right, I mixed that up.

jimmifli
09-21-2015, 08:00 AM
You want to put your faith in that set of zebras over 7 yards?

Seven.

Yards.

It wouldn't have converted the first, it wouldn't have moved us away from our goal line, it wouldn't have put us in FG range. All it would have done is let us punt from the 29 instead of the 23. For that you risk a timeout and use a challenge? Lordy.

Sure. First half timeouts aren't worth much, challenges aren't what they used to be. Every score and turnover is booth challenged, plus key plays inside of two minutes. That covers most game changing situations. And they'd seen the replay.

It's not my favorite, but I'd rather have Rex use lots of challenges and get some calls corrected each game than save them. Over the long haul it's a better strategy.

And with everything that was wrong with yesterday's game, this seems lit nitpicking.

gebobs
09-21-2015, 09:36 AM
He threw the flag before the 4th down was snapped, they just failed to see it. He couldn't know how the punt turned out before challenging the previous play.

My take on it, from the refs explanation, was that though Ryan threw it, it didn't hit the ground until after the snap. Anyone else hear that?

IlluminatusUIUC
09-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Sure. First half timeouts aren't worth much, challenges aren't what they used to be. Every score and turnover is booth challenged, plus key plays inside of two minutes. That covers most game changing situations. And they'd seen the replay.

It's not my favorite, but I'd rather have Rex use lots of challenges and get some calls corrected each game than save them. Over the long haul it's a better strategy.

And with everything that was wrong with yesterday's game, this seems lit nitpicking.

He needs to use challenges on plays that will have a meaningful impact on the game. I would even be ok with it if he used the challenge to move it from 3rd and 16 to 3rd and 9. But not 4th. That's pointless.

Victor7
09-21-2015, 10:22 AM
I couldn't understand what the hell he was challenging either. All we could've gained us was 7 more yards to punt away. That' it. It was inexplicable to say the least.