PDA

View Full Version : Rewatched the game and focused on what BB did to Tyrod Taylor

ghz in pittsburgh
09-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Indeed more or less like what he did to Russell Wilson in the superbowl in principle.

Belichick's edge rushers were not really rushing very hard, actually they didn't go beyond the depth of Taylor at all. In other words, their job is mainly containing; and sure enough, except the opening drive where Taylor leaked out between two rushers, whenever Taylor went side ways or tried to loop around, he "ran" into sacks. Probably that's why Rex mentioned today that he would like to see Taylor stepping forward in the pocket.

But I do see a problem for Taylor to step forward, just like Wilson who we almost get familiar with how far back he is in the pocket throwing passes, Taylor is short (listed as 6' but no one believes that) as well, unlike Cassel (6'4") or EJ (6'5"). For short guys to throw ever the tall D tackles and interior O-Line in front, they need some space. Don't tell me they are not subconscious of that. In my view the first INT he threw yesterday looked very much like he tried to throw over the D Line in the front and had the ball sail on him.

You may ask how does Wilson handle that? Well Seattle has a very good interior O-Line, Wilson usually gets a lot of time in the pocket and he stays way back there. The Bills Guard to Guard has some leakage, which really makes life extremely difficult.

NE did it, I can guarantee that the Dolphins will try the same.

BillsImpossible
09-21-2015, 06:47 PM
This is an interesting article below.

Bill Belichick Versus Rookie Quarterbacks
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bill-belichick-versus-rookie-quarterbacks-210002408.html

Belichick often holds back the pass rush in favor of more sophisticated coverage looks, in the hopes of intercepting errant passes. He won't overcommit with the pass rush because young quarterbacks just don't have the recognition ability to dissect opposing defenses; they'll always end up making mistakes. The goal is to have as many players in coverage to take advantage of the mistakes.

swiper
09-22-2015, 04:26 AM
Wow. Bill Belichick is a great head coach. Is this an epiphany for you?

YardRat
09-22-2015, 04:36 AM
That's kind of Pass Rushing 101 for defending mobile QB's...

ghz in pittsburgh
09-22-2015, 12:46 PM
With all-22 out today, you see Tyrod missed lots of open guys, I mean, wide open guys. Need to see improvements this week.

BuffaloRedleg
09-22-2015, 12:48 PM
I totally forgot they had an extra 3 days to plan for us.

Just like every year.

Victor7
09-22-2015, 01:27 PM

Just like every year.

They don't need them. I'll tell you that. They could beat us on a monday after a sunday game.

But it does piss me off anyway. Every freaking year for no reason whatsoever.

justasportsfan
09-22-2015, 01:35 PM
“We’re new guys, we haven’t made plays with him,” said Watkins of the skill position players and Taylor. “The more we make plays the more comfortable we’ll get with him. The more the line blocks, the more he’ll get more comfortable with staying in the pocket. That’s the thing—playing these games, you realize how much of a difference it is when you haven’t played with a game for long. You can’t point fingers at him and say he missed these throws—some guys messed up on routes with depth. You can’t really point fingers, we just have to all get on the same page.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/09/22/watkins-offense-has-to-grow-together/

Mike
09-22-2015, 01:45 PM
With all-22 out today, you see Tyrod missed lots of open guys, I mean, wide open guys. Need to see improvements this week.

I think Tyrod has a problem ready defenses, recognizing plays in real time, and taking advantage of match ups, coverages, etc.

He strikes me as a one read QB who has gotten better in the past few years and is now a 2 read QB. He needs WR to be open and have a pressure free, clear passing lane, in order to be successful.

Mike
09-22-2015, 01:49 PM
They don't need them. I'll tell you that. They could beat us on a monday after a sunday game.

But it does piss me off anyway. Every freaking year for no reason whatsoever.

I bet Pats fans feel the same way.
Every team has at least 1 opportunity to prepare extra for an opponent. For the Pats, they get the extra time to prepare for the Bills instead of a team like the Packers, Seahawks, Colts, Broncos, etc... I bet they feel that the NFL is dicking them off.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-22-2015, 03:03 PM
I am more interested in how he responds to this. If he picks up his game and improves and we beat Miami and roll off a few wins then great. The danger is the Pats got to him and he has TrInt, Lossman, Fitztragic, and and Robosack regression.

Ingtar33
09-22-2015, 03:12 PM
I am more interested in how he responds to this. If he picks up his game and improves and we beat Miami and roll off a few wins then great. The danger is the Pats got to him and he has TrInt, Lossman, Fitztragic, and and Robosack regression.

I didn't think he was particularly bad. A couple passes sailed on him, and like usual if a ball gets deflected against the pats it gets intercepted. That doesn't happen against most teams. Its not like he's throwing screen passes into the chest of the defenders.

I wasn't really discouraged by TT in that game. there was a lot of other things going wrong around him elsewhere as well, Glenn didn't block anyone all game, he had BB scheme coverage which is hard for most QBs to get past. I'll give him a lot more rope before i start talking about replacing him.

YardRat
09-22-2015, 04:02 PM
I think Tyrod has a problem ready defenses, recognizing plays in real time, and taking advantage of match ups, coverages, etc.

He strikes me as a one read QB who has gotten better in the past few years and is now a 2 read QB. He needs WR to be open and have a pressure free, clear passing lane, in order to be successful.

That should be enough for a QB with Taylor's skill set. 2 reads, if nothing there dump it off to the safety valve or run. If this staff is going to try to make Taylor a classic pocket passer they are going to be sorely disappointed.

The Jokeman
09-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Indeed more or less like what he did to Russell Wilson in the superbowl in principle.

Belichick's edge rushers were not really rushing very hard, actually they didn't go beyond the depth of Taylor at all. In other words, their job is mainly containing; and sure enough, except the opening drive where Taylor leaked out between two rushers, whenever Taylor went side ways or tried to loop around, he "ran" into sacks. Probably that's why Rex mentioned today that he would like to see Taylor stepping forward in the pocket.

But I do see a problem for Taylor to step forward, just like Wilson who we almost get familiar with how far back he is in the pocket throwing passes, Taylor is short (listed as 6' but no one believes that) as well, unlike Cassel (6'4") or EJ (6'5"). For short guys to throw ever the tall D tackles and interior O-Line in front, they need some space. Don't tell me they are not subconscious of that. In my view the first INT he threw yesterday looked very much like he tried to throw over the D Line in the front and had the ball sail on him.

You may ask how does Wilson handle that? Well Seattle has a very good interior O-Line, Wilson usually gets a lot of time in the pocket and he stays way back there. The Bills Guard to Guard has some leakage, which really makes life extremely difficult.

NE did it, I can guarantee that the Dolphins will try the same.

So the guy who cracked the code on the K-gun offense in Super Bowl XXV, and the code of Doug Flutie in 1998 almost did the same against Tyrod? Or did he as I can't tell if he fell asleep in the second half of we made serious strides because of Tyrod's jump ball INT to end the game.

Typ0
09-22-2015, 06:13 PM
I am so much more worried about what RR did to Brady which is absolutely NOTHING. He had nothing to start with and never tried anything that was anything. Complete lack of adjustments just stand there like a deer in headlights and get run over. I thought it was Rex ****ing Ryan we had a real coach now blah blah blah and it sure looked to me like bull****.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-22-2015, 08:03 PM
I didn't think he was particularly bad. A couple passes sailed on him, and like usual if a ball gets deflected against the pats it gets intercepted. That doesn't happen against most teams. Its not like he's throwing screen passes into the chest of the defenders.

I wasn't really discouraged by TT in that game. there was a lot of other things going wrong around him elsewhere as well, Glenn didn't block anyone all game, he had BB scheme coverage which is hard for most QBs to get past. I'll give him a lot more rope before i start talking about replacing him.

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass

Try that, it shows you the overall view you don't see in CBS game recording. The BB scheme really was not that complicated in this game. The one thing people need to realize is that the Bills DO have a lot of weapons. When Watkins, Harvin, Woods, and Clay are on the field facing a not so talented defense like Pats, there will be open guys and the film showed wide open guys that Tyrod didn't see or too eager to scramble into sack traps Belichick had it designed for him whereas if he stayed in the pocket or stepped up in the pocket, the plays were there for him.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-22-2015, 08:17 PM
So the guy who cracked the code on the K-gun offense in Super Bowl XXV, and the code of Doug Flutie in 1998 almost did the same against Tyrod? Or did he as I can't tell if he fell asleep in the second half of we made serious strides because of Tyrod's jump ball INT to end the game.

Just my 2 cents - NE didn't play conservative like a team leading by 24 points would normally do (slow down pace by run the ball, not gambling on 4th down, do more coverage keeping play in front of them so opponent drives taking more time) and the Bills do have talent on offense that can make quick, big plays. For Tyrod, I think he started to read the D better and showed his skills throwing the ball on the run. The last one is definitely a positive that the Bills could build on.

But in NFL, you can't take 3 Quarters to get comfortable on what the D is doing to you.

The Jokeman
09-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Just my 2 cents - NE didn't play conservative like a team leading by 24 points would normally do (slow down pace by run the ball, not gambling on 4th down, do more coverage keeping play in front of them so opponent drives taking more time) and the Bills do have talent on offense that can make quick, big plays. For Tyrod, I think he started to read the D better and showed his skills throwing the ball on the run. The last one is definitely a positive that the Bills could build on.

But in NFL, you can't take 3 Quarters to get comfortable on what the D is doing to you.

I agree, I think Tyrod had a horrible game despite putting up 4 TDs. Too many times he was standing in the pocket looking down field and end up taking a sack. He has to learn to get out of the pocket and throw it away or pick up 3-4 yards with his legs to make 3rd down more manageable.

Ingtar33
09-23-2015, 08:58 AM
actually 4 of the sacks he took, he had guys on him at the top of his dropback, meaning they weren't even blocked by the o-line.

Mr. Cynical
09-23-2015, 11:39 AM
This is an interesting article below.

Bill Belichick Versus Rookie Quarterbacks
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bill-belichick-versus-rookie-quarterbacks-210002408.html

Belichick often holds back the pass rush in favor of more sophisticated coverage looks, in the hopes of intercepting errant passes. He won't overcommit with the pass rush because young quarterbacks just don't have the recognition ability to dissect opposing defenses; they'll always end up making mistakes. The goal is to have as many players in coverage to take advantage of the mistakes.

Kind of reminds me of another game during the early 90s except it wasn't against a rookie. :(

Goobylal
09-23-2015, 03:29 PM

EJ got killed for this. And passes that weren't exactly on-mark, like the ones TT threw that were tipped and INT'd. With the ascension of EJ to backup, TT is going to be on a short leash going forward.

Mike
09-23-2015, 05:43 PM
That should be enough for a QB with Taylor's skill set. 2 reads, if nothing there dump it off to the safety valve or run. If this staff is going to try to make Taylor a classic pocket passer they are going to be sorely disappointed.

In that case, they should run a lot of roll out, play action, plays. I recall Culter's first few years in Denver being particularly good because of QB friendly offense.

FlyingDutchman
09-24-2015, 01:07 PM

There was a couple of times where we had 1 on 1 press coverage with Sammy and the safety creeping up. REALLY wish he would have thrown it up and let Sammy make a play like the playmaker he is supposed to be, or maybe catch a PI call

Novacane
09-24-2015, 01:38 PM
EJ got killed for this. And passes that weren't exactly on-mark, like the ones TT threw that were tipped and INT'd. With the ascension of EJ to backup, TT is going to be on a short leash going forward.

Maybe with the fans. I doubt that's the case with the coaching staff.

DynaPaul
09-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Defense was way too vanilla. No exotic blitzes or coverages. I have no idea what Rex thought was going to happen.

k-oneputt
09-24-2015, 05:40 PM

Just like every year.

Ah don't worry about it. The Giants will get 10 days also before they come next week.

stuckincincy
09-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Defense was way too vanilla. No exotic blitzes or coverages. I have no idea what Rex thought was going to happen.

I watched that 1 hour NFL replay thing on NLFN. Those are disappointing - they come off to me as more of a highlight reel.

What I did notice, though, was BUF defenders crowding about the LOS. Blitz or not, when you do that you are not positioning your players well against a qb like Brady. back-peddling, changing into pass coverage takes steps...