PDA

View Full Version : So...what happened to this year's edition of "smash mouth'" run football?

stuckincincy
09-22-2015, 02:38 PM
:pimped:

mightysimi
09-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Well I imagine being down 24 points had something to do with it.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Well I imagine being down 24 points had something to do with it.

Good point, however, I think the smash mouth football is yet to be established.

Pinkerton Security
09-22-2015, 03:11 PM
:pimped:

great post!

you do realize we're third in the NFL in rushing yards, and that with falling behind to the Pats by 20+ points right??

WagonCircler
09-22-2015, 03:12 PM
You need to be able to run block for that. That doesn't appear to be strength, thus far.

Ingtar33
09-22-2015, 03:14 PM
You need to be able to run block for that. That doesn't appear to be strength, thus far.

I think you have to be able to "block" before you can runblock and play smashmouth. Glenn was a turnstile all day on sunday, and the whole interior of our line took turns emulating him.

EricStratton
09-22-2015, 03:58 PM
great post!

you do realize we're third in the NFL in rushing yards, and that with falling behind to the Pats by 20+ points right??

Details

Turf
09-22-2015, 04:08 PM
I'll say one thing, I've haven't seen a HB move as fast as Shady on this team since OJ. That MF can fly. If we can get him some room to run it would be awesome.

YardRat
09-22-2015, 04:11 PM
It's only been two games, one should never make too much out of what happens the first couple of weeks of the season. What this, and any team in the league, really is will be established over the next month.

Mace
09-22-2015, 04:29 PM
I think you'll see plenty of it. What we saw last week is the logical problem with it when you run into powerful passing offenses.

The counter to those passing offenses if you want to play smashmouth is usually a fierce defense masterminded by a defensive wizard. I suppose that's another problem.

But only when we play real good teams.

justasportsfan
09-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Rexs loudmouth was smashed by BB last Sunday.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Rex and Company better shovel it.

As long as McCoy is your workhorse, its not going to be a mash mouth football Rex wanted. They may have parts of it though, like goal line, featuring Karlos and Boobie.

As Tyrod and the receivers further prove their worth, I predict this offense will blend into the main stream NFL offense pass/run ratio.

WagonCircler
09-23-2015, 01:47 PM
My fear is that Bellicheat has published a blueprint for the rest of the league on how to baffle and stifle Tyrod.

coastal
09-23-2015, 01:50 PM
The o-line blows?

WagonCircler
09-23-2015, 01:52 PM

BillsOwnAll
09-23-2015, 01:59 PM
My fear is that Bellicheat has published a blueprint for the rest of the league on how to baffle and stifle Tyrod. didn't everyone say the Giants did that to Brady?

starrymessenger
09-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Rex and Company better shovel it.

As long as McCoy is your workhorse, its not going to be a mash mouth football Rex wanted. They may have parts of it though, like goal line, featuring Karlos and Boobie.

As Tyrod and the receivers further prove their worth, I predict this offense will blend into the main stream NFL offense pass/run ratio.

Agree. I never quite understood or believed that our O would feature a "smash mouth" running game. Sure McCoy was going to get lots of touches but he's not an inside guy like Chris Ivory and the Bills have assets in the passing game, long, short and intermediate, that surely cannot be allowed to go to waste. Also McCoy is really proficient catching the ball out of the backfield and getting him in space is highly desirable. So I too expect a balanced attack once it grinds into operation.
Personally I think that Tyrod will work out just fine and that we're gonna hang a couple of 50 burgers on unsuspecting defences this year.

EDS
09-23-2015, 02:12 PM
The Bills do not want to show their full playbook in a meaningless early season division game against a hated rival.

stuckincincy
09-23-2015, 02:16 PM
The Bills do not want to show their full playbook in a meaningless early season division game against a hated rival.

:kid:

Edward Robinson
09-23-2015, 02:20 PM
Agree. I never quite understood or believed that our O would feature a "smash mouth" running game. Sure McCoy was going to get lots of touches but he's not an inside guy like Chris Ivory and the Bills have assets in the passing game, long, short and intermediate, that surely cannot be allowed to go to waste. Also McCoy is really proficient catching the ball out of the backfield and getting him in space is highly desirable. So I too expect a balanced attack once it grinds into operation.
Personally I think that Tyrod will work out just fine and that we're gonna hang a couple of 50 burgers on unsuspecting defences this year.

That would never happen because we would run clock and get conservative as hell before they would be aggressive and try to embarrass a opponent

Night Train
09-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Perception is king. BTW, who is that team listed at #3 in rushing ?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

stuckincincy
09-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Perception is king. BTW, who is that team listed at #3 in rushing ?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

Quite right - perception is king.

2 games is a small sample, but assuming being run-oriented implies controlling the clock (to me, at least), BUF ranks mid-pack at #15 in TOP. Again, a small sample:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

The thing to suss out, is the situational stats - runs on 1st downs, runs 3rd and less that 2 or 3, etc. That will take time to evolve.

So if you imply that my post was precipitous, I humbly have to agree with you...

Night Train
09-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Quite right - perception is king.

2 games is a small sample, but assuming being run-oriented implies controlling the clock (to me, at least), BUF ranks mid-pack at #15 in TOP. Again, a small sample:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

The thing to suss out, is the situational stats - runs on 1st downs, runs 3rd and less that 2 or 3, etc. That will take time to evolve.

So if you imply that my post was precipitous, I humbly have to agree with you...

I agree with you. What I failed to state is the NFL has been pass happy beyond reason the first 2 weeks. I think that thinking comes back to bite teams, especially once the weather turns.

I think Roman is still trying to figure things out but he was outcoached by Belichick and his D last week. We should have run more and the Miami game will be interesting.

stuckincincy
09-23-2015, 03:14 PM
I agree with you. What I failed to state is the NFL has been pass happy beyond reason the first 2 weeks. I think that thinking comes back to bite teams, especially once the weather turns.

I think Roman is still trying to figure things out but he was outcoached by Belichick and his D last week. We should have run more and the Miami game will be interesting.

It's hard to resist the urge to toss the ball, given all the incentives the rules that say so.

I think that Ryan was indeed out-coached. He should have know Belli's approach - and it's a good one - to confuse an inexperienced (even though Taylor is a 4 year vet but has little live action behind Flacco) with coverage scheming. That, to me, calls for clock management - the runs, the short outs to wr/te/rb, the idea being to keep the NE offense off the field. Sometimes you have to accept that you are facing a club you can't keep pace with - it's passing prowess - so you need to find the way to slow the game down, hope you get a break, a misses tackle now and then.

I believe Ryan's sin was not trying to slow the game for his effectively rookie qb, and certainly he needs to stop having so many folks so close to the LOS, whether they in fact blitz or not...it takes time for them to move.

And he, or his staff, ought to repeat the old lesson to the team about not pointing your feet in anticipation, on D or O. or looking or swaying. Adding telegraphing to the arsenal to any team is a no-no.

jimmifli
09-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Roman has never been about power running. SF was terrible on short yardage and goal line runs.

He's much more about schemes that create mismatches. Lots of pulling, sweeps, off tackle and weird **** with the TE. We might lead the league in rushing this year but it was never going to be a power game.

Jimkelly12203
09-23-2015, 03:34 PM
The problem is we failed to acquire 4 more Richie Incognito clones.

Thank god we have McCoy (who is one of the few backs that can explode into the secondary absent good line play).

starrymessenger
09-23-2015, 03:41 PM
That would never happen because we would run clock and get conservative as hell before they would be aggressive and try to embarrass a opponent
You've got a point. With a good D (I still think it will be good) and an early lead we've already seen them shut it down and go conservative to avoid turnovers that would let an opponent climb back into the game. I think that makes sense given where the QB and the O are as a whole right now. But once the players get more accustomed to the schemes and their teammates the Bills have the horses to field a productive offence, one that on occasion will score a lot of points. It has nothing to do with embarrassing anyone IMO (unless your NE). If you have the wherewithal to score you do it