PDA

View Full Version : Sabres goal song vote

DetDannyWilliams
09-23-2015, 04:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/614403190667149312/GFu5hHfa_bigger.jpg Buffalo Sabres ‏<s>@</s>BuffaloSabres <small class="time">4h4 hours ago (https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/646759560166920192) </small> We need your help to pick our goal song for the 2015-16 season!VOTE HERE: http://bufsabres.co/goalsong (http://t.co/1bCyIHOanO) pic.twitter.com/U1bhDc4m5E (http://t.co/U1bhDc4m5E)
TONY WALKER & CO (https://twitter.com/TONYWALKERCO)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPnAZI7WcAAtAkS.png (https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/646759560166920192/photo/1)

ICRockets
09-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Personally, it's between The Offspring and New Politics.

JATMtheJATM
09-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Good lord. Bring back song 2 and be done with it

ckg927
09-24-2015, 02:26 AM
Whoever selected Let Me Clear My Throat should be fired post-haste.

I can think of at least 2 candidates right off the bat....The Black Keys' "Lonely Boy" and X Ambassadors "Renegades". (The latter would also work very well as the music for the Sabres pre-game opening video.)

Better yet....why not do what the Red Wings(and, more locally, the Bandits)do: Let the players pick their own goal songs.

OpIv37
09-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Swords of a Thousand Men for the win.

The Offspring song blows

gebobs
09-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Boys are Back is a Bruin song.

Must be Pegula's daughter that picked this garbage.

Do we really need a song after a goal? I mean, hell, isn't the goal enough?

And forget the pop music. Too trite, forgettable. Stick with the classics. Like Sabre Dance. Or maybe this...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T6fVDAjs9f0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OpIv37
09-24-2015, 09:01 AM
UK Subs did a great punk version of the Sabre Dance.

gebobs
09-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Swords of a Thousand Men for the win.http://cdn.meme.am/instances/57573639.jpg

gebobs
09-24-2015, 09:03 AM
I'm thankful at least that Shout! isn't one of the candidates.

DetDannyWilliams
09-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Swords of a Thousand Men for the win.

The Offspring song blows

whenever I hear Swords of a Thousand Men, it kind of reminds me of the Chicago Blackhawks goal song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNxKSWgG-wU

OpIv37
09-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Yeah there is a similarity.

ckg927
09-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Boys are Back is a Bruin song.

Must be Pegula's daughter that picked this garbage.

Nope. As per the fan vote page, half the songs came from Entercorpse....sorry, Entercom stations(WGR, Kiss 98.5, Star 102.5 and Alternative Buffalo)...and the other half came from team staffers and players. None of 'em are that good, and I added two other choices.

Dude
09-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Those songs all suck.

feldspar
09-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Those songs all suck.

...every single one of those songs suck.

Could not agree more.

Do don't want to hear any one of them even once, let alone every time a goal is scored...takes away from it big-time. May as well listen to Kenny G every time the Bills score a TD or something.

OpIv37
09-25-2015, 09:44 AM
I like Swords of a Thousand Men, although the Real McKenzies cover is better than the original.

I could live with The Boys are Back because I like Dropkicks but I hate the thought of using a band so closely identified with Boston to celebrate our goals.

The rest of them suck.

trapezeus
09-25-2015, 03:34 PM
here is the thing. the song they chose and our ability to like it is based on how good the team is. if they start out hot and the song is "you can call me al" by paul simon, we'll all love it.

if they pick a decent song and we rarely hear it and the team blows, we will also put our hate into the song.

pick something. stay with it...hope the team kicks but, song will be memorable.

JATMtheJATM
09-25-2015, 03:55 PM
I like Swords of a Thousand Men, although the Real McKenzies cover is better than the original.

I could live with The Boys are Back because I like Dropkicks but I hate the thought of using a band so closely identified with Boston to celebrate our goals.

The rest of them suck.

If you wanna go with dropkick, don't go with the newer, flogging molly rip off trash. Remember when DKM used to be a street punk band?

OpIv37
09-25-2015, 06:52 PM
If you wanna go with dropkick, don't go with the newer, flogging molly rip off trash. Remember when DKM used to be a street punk band?

Uh, yeah. I saw them for the first time in either late '97 or early '98 with the original singer who is now with the Street Dogs, at the Boston on the Road tour with the Bosstones in Toronto. I bought their first full album, Do or Die, at Home of the Hits on Elmwood cuz the guy sold it to me on a Friday when it wasn't supposed to be released until the following Tuesday.

And I don't see DKM as Flogging Molly ripoffs now. I see them as caricatures of themselves. When Al Barr took over as lead singer, they took the Sing Loud, Sing Proud and Blackout albums to find themselves, but every album they've made since then sounds like it's trying to be Blackout.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you- I'm just saying that we have 8 choices. Swords of a Thousand Men is the only one that doesn't suck but it's too obscure to win, and the DKM song is the least bad of the remaining seven. It would be great to hear one of their early street punk songs as a goal song, but that isn't going to fly with 90% of the population. And Im ok with that because punk wasn't meant to have mass appeal.

JATMtheJATM
09-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Uh, yeah. I saw them for the first time in either late '97 or early '98 with the original singer who is now with the Street Dogs, at the Boston on the Road tour with the Bosstones in Toronto. I bought their first full album, Do or Die, at Home of the Hits on Elmwood cuz the guy sold it to me on a Friday when it wasn't supposed to be released until the following Tuesday.

And I don't see DKM as Flogging Molly ripoffs now. I see them as caricatures of themselves. When Al Barr took over as lead singer, they took the Sing Loud, Sing Proud and Blackout albums to find themselves, but every album they've made since then sounds like it's trying to be Blackout.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you- I'm just saying that we have 8 choices. Swords of a Thousand Men is the only one that doesn't suck but it's too obscure to win, and the DKM song is the least bad of the remaining seven. It would be great to hear one of their early street punk songs as a goal song, but that isn't going to fly with 90% of the population. And Im ok with that because punk wasn't meant to have mass appeal.

I'm just saying. Dropkick was at its best with do or die and the gang's all here. After that... thumbs down.

OpIv37
09-25-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm just saying. Dropkick was at its best with do or die and the gang's all here. After that... thumbs down.
I like Blackout and the Irish in me likes the punk covers of Irish songs but I agree.

But let's face it- most 90s punk bands peaked on their 2nd or 3rd album. It's all downhill after people who aren't into punk take notice.

JATMtheJATM
09-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Not sure if you like them, coheed (not punk) is the same way first two albums were awesome. After that... boooo

OpIv37
09-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Not sure if you like them, coheed (not punk) is the same way first two albums were awesome. After that... boooo

I tried with them but I couldn't. In the mid 2000's or so, all these bands were trying to figure out how to be punk without sounding like every other punk band, but it had all been done already and so the sound wasn't punk. But in the absence of any new punk bands, they got labeled as punk. Coheed, Against Me, Rise Against, Gaslight Anthem- I tried but its all garbage.

ckg927
09-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Let me put this song into the mix: Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats' "SOB"(only the last 40 seconds or so).

gebobs
09-26-2015, 01:23 PM
You kids. It's not enough your teams scores. You need to hear some silly song.

Ban it all! Only the organ!

ckg927
09-26-2015, 02:49 PM

If memory serves, I think St. Louis fires up the organ after a goal. Down in junior hockey, I think Erie and Kitchener use their own goal songs.

Dude
09-27-2015, 05:12 AM

Sabredance.

DetDannyWilliams
09-27-2015, 08:51 AM
I think this song would make a good goal song THE KING "A Little Less Conversation" Elvis from his last ever movie "Live a Little...Love a Little". The Predators play it at their home games since Graceland is 214 Miles away from Nashville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1_6F-nCaw

A littleless conversation, a little more action please
All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me
A little more bite and a little less bark
A little less fight and a little more spark
Close your mouth and open up your heart and baby satisfy me
Satisfy me baby

Baby close your eyes and listen to the music
Drifting through a summer breeze
It's a groovy night and I can show you how to use it
Come along with me and put your mind at ease

A little less conversation, a little more action please
Satisfy me baby

Come on baby I'm tired of talking
Grab your coat and let's start walking
Come on, come on
Come on, come on
Come on, come on
Don't procrastinate, don't articulate
Girl it's getting late, gettin' upset waitin' around

A little less conversation, a little more action please
Satisfy me baby

ckg927
09-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Sabredance.

I recall Marimba Ponies doing a fun version of Sabredance, and I wonder why the Sabres haven't put THAT version up on the big board.

OpIv37
09-27-2015, 04:33 PM

I'd be fine with just the horn. But let's face it- goal songs aren't going away so we might as well get a good one.

JATMtheJATM
09-27-2015, 06:26 PM
I'd be fine with just the horn. But let's face it- goal songs aren't going away so we might as well get a good one.

The sabres used to have... pretty sure it was like a train engine chugging after the horn. I liked that. Just go simple. Sabres also used to have a high pitched siren too.

The Jokeman
09-29-2015, 02:52 PM
I like Blackout and the Irish in me likes the punk covers of Irish songs but I agree.

But let's face it- most 90s punk bands peaked on their 2nd or 3rd album. It's all downhill after people who aren't into punk take notice.

Op, don't be a Flavor of the Weak ;)

ParanoidAndroid
09-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Swords. You can hear fans getting into singing that one and it is a natural fit for the team name. People are going to get so sick of "Let me clear my throat" if it wins.

DetDannyWilliams
10-02-2015, 04:30 PM
looking for Sabres goal horn on YouTube and this came up...somebody incorporated "Swords" into NHL16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbpl0lsunoM

this song could catch on VERY QUICKLY if it wins! imagine a sold out First Niagara Center and the Sabres score a goal and the crowd of 20,000 errupts and starts singing the words to swords in unison

The Jokeman
10-03-2015, 10:56 AM
looking for Sabres goal horn on YouTube and this came up...somebody incorporated "Swords" into NHL16

this song could catch on VERY QUICKLY if it wins! imagine a sold out First Niagara Center and the Sabres score a goal and the crowd of 20,000 errupts and starts singing the words to swords in unison

I agree that the chorus of "Hoorah, Hoorah, Hoorah, Yea" is a good chant but the way it was presented in the vote it took a long time to get to it that it might not get the votes but as the page even mentions it's not solely going to be based on fan votes so the Sabres could easily skew the results to be the song they want ultimately I hope it's not Let Me Clear My Throat.

ckg927
10-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Swords. You can hear fans getting into singing that one and it is a natural fit for the team name. People are going to get so sick of "Let me clear my throat" if it wins.

I'm already sick of that song and it hasn't even WON!

OpIv37
10-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Please, people, stuff the ballot box for Swords. Even if you don't like it, it's much better than Let Me Clear My Throat.

I don't want every goal ruined with memories of my freshman year of college, drinking ****ty beer, listening to awful music surrounded by preps in Abercrombie sweaters because it was the only bar in town that would take my cheesy chalked ID.

gebobs
10-07-2015, 01:19 PM
No thanks.

ICRockets
10-07-2015, 02:30 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of "Let Me Clear My Throat" as a celebration of Rick Jeanneret's victory against cancer.

ckg927
10-07-2015, 04:36 PM
IC: Noted, but Let Me Clear My Throat does not equal goal song. Just another example: For years, Calgary used AC/DC's Shot Down In Flames as their goal song. Fitting, I will admit. Then a couple of seasons ago, they switched to Duck Sauce's "Barbra Streisand". That went over about as well as a fart in church. Currently, Monster Truck's Righteous Smoke is the goal song.

DetDannyWilliams
10-07-2015, 04:48 PM
"Let me clear my throat is the song that Syracuse Orange basketball warms up to. That right there tells you that it's a song that belongs at a basketball game NOT :hockey:

ICRockets
10-07-2015, 06:38 PM
"Let me clear my throat is the song that Syracuse Orange basketball warms up to. That right there tells you that it's a song that belongs at a basketball game NOT :hockey:

The fact that you think this is a cogent argument explains so much.

OpIv37
10-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Let me put it this way: music is subjective and it's very difficult to come to a consensus of what constitutes a bad song. But here's a good metric:

If hearing the first few notes of a song has ever made a bar full of 19 year old preppy white college girls go "WoooooooOOOOoooo!", it's a pretty ****ing bad song.

Hence, Let Me Clear My Throat should never be played again.

WagonCircler
10-07-2015, 08:27 PM
Let me put it this way: music is subjective and it's very difficult to come to a consensus of what constitutes a bad song. But here's a good metric:

If hearing the first few notes of a song has ever made a bar full of 19 year old preppy white college girls go "WoooooooOOOOoooo!", it's a pretty ****ing bad song.

Hence, Let Me Clear My Throat should never be played again.

I booked DJ Kool for a show in Columbia SC the same year that "Let Me Clear My Throat" came out.

Ten people showed up.

That song was stale the same year it came out.

I don't like any of the options, but the Swords is the least bad.

OpIv37
10-08-2015, 10:14 AM
I just looked at it again. It says they aren't going to announce the winner- they are just going to play it when the Sabres score their first goal at home. So.... it could be a LONG time before we know the results.....

ICRockets
10-08-2015, 01:51 PM
I just looked at it again. It says they aren't going to announce the winner- they are just going to play it when the Sabres score their first goal at home. So.... it could be a LONG time before we know the results.....

You do realize that our offense is the STRENGTH of this team now, right?

trapezeus
10-08-2015, 03:14 PM

given the last two years, its still a pretty funny joke.

OpIv37
10-08-2015, 09:06 PM
****. That song blows. And I had to hear it when they didn't even score.

OpIv37
10-08-2015, 09:26 PM

Yup. Managed one whole goal tonight.

ICRockets
10-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Yup. Managed one whole goal tonight.

Make sure you gloat after 1 game, dickhead.

ICRockets
10-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Against the reigning Norris winner, too.

ckg927
10-09-2015, 02:16 AM

So...which one was it?

DraftBoy
10-09-2015, 07:26 AM

The crowd seemed to love it.

- - - Updated - - -

So...which one was it?

Let me clear my throat

OpIv37
10-09-2015, 07:28 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Let me clear my throat

I think the crowd loved seeing the player we tanked a season for and the top 6 forward we traded for scoring goals. You could have played a Michael Bolton song and gotten the same reaction.

trapezeus
10-09-2015, 12:02 PM
it's a fun song. and no one else is doing anything non-cliche.

i still think, the better they get, the more people forget the goal song and they love the team. and the song takes off.

ckg927
10-09-2015, 12:42 PM

- - - Updated - - -
Let me clear my throat

Congratulations, SabreFan. You have now officially surpassed the Calgary Flames in having the ****tiest goal song EVER. Guess what? YOU'RE going to have to live with that mark. I WON'T. I NEVER voted for that song. Quite frankly, the Bandits do a much better job of goal songs(mostly because the players pick them and in at least 2 cases, the songs are a play on their names).

ICRockets
10-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Congratulations, SabreFan. You have now officially surpassed the Calgary Flames in having the ****tiest goal song EVER. Guess what? YOU'RE going to have to live with that mark. I WON'T. I NEVER voted for that song. Quite frankly, the Bandits do a much better job of goal songs(mostly because the players pick them and in at least 2 cases, the songs are a play on their names).

Jesus Christ, be more of a baby about it.

DraftBoy
10-09-2015, 03:28 PM
I think the crowd loved seeing the player we tanked a season for and the top 6 forward we traded for scoring goals. You could have played a Michael Bolton song and gotten the same reaction.

They acted the same with the Kane goal, non-goal too.

OpIv37
10-09-2015, 03:53 PM

He's absolutely right. Goals shouldn't be ruined by having to listen to ****ty songs afterward.

ICRockets
10-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Then mute your television after we score and don't go to any games. The song was voted for by the community. It beat 7 other songs. I wouldn't have voted for it, but I'm objective enough to find a silver lining in the choice, as I've already stated.

I went to college for vocal performance. I'm a singer. I'm as big a music snob as there is. If I'M being more reasonable on this matter than you, you need to check yourself (before you wreck yo'self).

ckg927
10-09-2015, 06:49 PM

Sir, NONE of the choices we were given were great. Either by Entercorpse...sorry, Entercom....or the Sabres players/office. ANY one of us could have come with a better 8-song bracket.

And, as I said on HFBoards, I don't care if I'm in the minority on the issue. I suspect(but can't prove)that others share my take...they just won't come out and say it.

And, for the record, I was a DJ for Buffalo State's radio station while in college and still have an interest in radio(even if I think Entercom has basically ruined radio in Buffalo...not that Townsquare or Cumulus are much better, but STILL...).

OpIv37
10-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Then mute your television after we score and don't go to any games. The song was voted for by the community. It beat 7 other songs. I wouldn't have voted for it, but I'm objective enough to find a silver lining in the choice, as I've already stated.

I went to college for vocal performance. I'm a singer. I'm as big a music snob as there is. If I'M being more reasonable on this matter than you, you need to check yourself (before you wreck yo'self).

There's no silver lining to find. I'm not scrambling to find the remote and hit the mute button in a moment I should be celebrating because the masses once again proved that they have no taste in music. Of the 8 choices given, this would have been my last pick (and if I were to pick my own 8 songs it wouldn't have even occurred to me to use this one). It's disposable pop trash.

ICRockets
10-09-2015, 07:23 PM
There's no silver lining to find. I'm not scrambling to find the remote and hit the mute button in a moment I should be celebrating because the masses once again proved that they have no taste in music. Of the 8 choices given, this would have been my last pick (and if I were to pick my own 8 songs it wouldn't have even occurred to me to use this one). It's disposable pop trash.

"Let Me Clear My Throat" for a team whose iconic Hall of Fame LEGEND play-by-play man just beat throat cancer so decisively that he's delaying his planned retirement has NO silver lining? Really? None at all?

ckg927
10-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Here's my 8-song bracket:

*Thunderstruck(AC/DC) (or sub in For Those About To Rock)
*S.O.B./Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats (For that one, you'd have to use the instrumental parts...i.e. hand clapping and wailing)
*My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark/Fall Out Boy (though you can substitute The Phoenix or Centuries)
*Hell Yeah/Rev Theory
*Doctoring The TARDIS/KLF(aka The Timelords) (It SOUNDS like Rock and Roll Part 2, but it isn't.)
*Pump Up The Volume/MARRS
*Breathe/The Prodigy
*Geronimo/Sheppard

ICRockets
10-09-2015, 07:31 PM
If you didn't have to use the hand-clapping part of SOB, and could actually use the chorus, I'd pick it every day. But there's just not enough instrumental backup in the parts of the song you would need to use to make it a good goal song.

OpIv37
10-09-2015, 07:35 PM
"Let Me Clear My Throat" for a team whose iconic Hall of Fame LEGEND play-by-play man just beat throat cancer so decisively that he's delaying his planned retirement has NO silver lining? Really? None at all?

No, a loose lyrical connection in a bad song and a legendary contributor to our team's history having to suffer through throat cancer is not a silver lining.

And I highly doubt that was in most people's thought process when they voted. It was probably more along the lines of "I'm going to vote for the only one of these songs that I remember hearing on 98PXY or KISS 98.5."

OpIv37
10-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Here's my 8-song bracket:

*Thunderstruck(AC/DC) (or sub in For Those About To Rock)
*S.O.B./Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats (For that one, you'd have to use the instrumental parts...i.e. hand clapping and wailing)
*My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark/Fall Out Boy (though you can substitute The Phoenix or Centuries)
*Hell Yeah/Rev Theory
*Doctoring The TARDIS/KLF(aka The Timelords) (It SOUNDS like Rock and Roll Part 2, but it isn't.)
*Pump Up The Volume/MARRS
*Breathe/The Prodigy
*Geronimo/Sheppard
I dislike most of those songs but I'd take any one except Pump up the Volume over the one we now have.

ckg927
10-09-2015, 08:17 PM
I dislike most of those songs but I'd take any one except Pump up the Volume over the one we now have.

Which is fair enough. SOB's instrumental parts(especially the wailing)could, if edited right, fit in well with the road of the crowd after a goal. Seeing the description of what Geronimo is about, it kind of fits in well with the Next Chapter theme.

To all those in here: Just for the heck of it, put your 8-song bracket in here.

ICRockets
10-09-2015, 08:51 PM
My 8 songs:

Song 1: Song 2
Song 2: Song 2
Song 3: Song 2
Song 4: Song 2
Song 5: Shout!
Song 6: Song 2
Song 7: Song 2
Song 8: Song 2

bleve
10-10-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm out of market, and don't watch much Sabres hockey. I saw the replay of the Eichel goal.

The song sucks.

OpIv37
10-16-2015, 10:05 AM

8 goals through 4 games. Only managed more than 2 goals in a game once so far.... Yup. Clearly a strength.

ICRockets
10-17-2015, 07:16 PM
8 goals through 4 games. Only managed more than 2 goals in a game once so far.... Yup. Clearly a strength.

How long is an NHL season?

OpIv37
10-18-2015, 09:43 AM

Another one goal "effort" last night. Still waiting for that offense....

ICRockets
10-18-2015, 12:05 PM

OpIv37
10-18-2015, 12:25 PM

wrong question. How many games do they have to fail to exhibit a supposed strength before you admit it's not a strength?

ICRockets
10-18-2015, 12:34 PM

OpIv37
10-18-2015, 01:56 PM
5 straight games without exhibiting a strength means either a) it's not a strength or b) it's inexcusable incompetence.

ICRockets
10-18-2015, 03:59 PM

ICRockets
10-19-2015, 02:51 AM
If you want an actual answer, then here it is:

Look at the teams we've played. Ottawa, with 2-time Norris winner Erik Karlsson. Tampa Bay, one of the best teams in the league with another elite young D-man in Viktor Hedman. And Florida, a surprising upstart early on who has allowed 9 goals thus far- tied for 3rd fewest in the league.

The one game we played against a bad defensive team was a game we won while scoring 4 goals.

This is a young team who has played 5 games together in a new system with lines that haven't had time to gel. I don't know what games you're watching, but I just saw a really promising performance out of a brand new Ennis/Reinhart/O'Reilly line against the Bolts.

Stop being your typical garbage self, and give them time.

OpIv37
10-19-2015, 07:16 AM
Yeah, they always need more time. The Bills and the Sabres: always building for a future that neve me gets here.

Yeah, I'll agree that the line you mentioned had a promising game, but "potential" is just another way of saying "hasn't done **** yet." You can't claim something as a strength until the ability to do it has actually been demonstrated.

And one good D man? Really? A top D man might play 26 minutes a game. You failed to account for the 34 minutes he wasn't on the ice.

OpIv37
10-21-2015, 08:16 PM
Good win but nearly 55 scoreless minutes at home against Toronto. 34 shots but only one goal. We aren't talking about the defending conf champs or some trophy winner. It's Bernier and the Leafs in Buffalo.

Where is that offensive "strength?"

ICRockets
10-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Good win but nearly 55 scoreless minutes at home against Toronto. 34 shots but only one goal. We aren't talking about the defending conf champs or some trophy winner. It's Bernier and the Leafs in Buffalo.

Where is that offensive "strength?"

You're seriously such a dickhead that you need to do this every game?

OpIv37
10-21-2015, 08:50 PM
You're seriously such a dickhead that you need to do this every game?

You being wrong and refusing to admit it doesn't make me a dickhead. You said the offense is a strength. 11 goals in 6 games.

ICRockets
10-22-2015, 12:22 AM
You being wrong and refusing to admit it doesn't make me a dickhead. You said the offense is a strength. 11 goals in 6 games.

There's more to offense than one stat, though. Faceoffs won, shots, scoring chances, etc. If you care so deeply about proving me wrong, at least do me the courtesy of making an actual effort.

OpIv37
10-22-2015, 05:52 AM
There's more to offense than one stat, though. Faceoffs won, shots, scoring chances, etc. If you care so deeply about proving me wrong, at least do me the courtesy of making an actual effort.

Goals are the only offensive stat that matter in terms of winning the game. We could win 100% of the face offs and have 50 shots and 40 scoring chances a game. If none of them go in, we still lose.

sahlensguy
10-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Isn't this the goal song vote thread?

OpIv37
10-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Isn't this the goal song vote thread?

Yeah well they said they weren't going to announce the winner- they were just going to play it after the first home goal. So before the first game I made a crack that it could be a long time before we hear it. IC responded by saying offense is a "strength" of this team. Since he made the comment here, that's the best place to show him that he's wrong.

sahlensguy
10-22-2015, 08:47 AM
Yeah well they said they weren't going to announce the winner- they were just going to play it after the first home goal. So before the first game I made a crack that it could be a long time before we hear it. IC responded by saying offense is a "strength" of this team. Since he made the comment here, that's the best place to show him that he's wrong.

If not the offense, then what is the strength of the team?

OpIv37
10-22-2015, 08:53 AM
If not the offense, then what is the strength of the team?

Not sure we've established one yet.

sahlensguy
10-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Not sure we've established one yet.

We have 4 losses but 2 wins. You don't get 2 by luck. If you can't come up with a strength, in my book, you're nothing more than a critic.

sukie
10-22-2015, 09:23 AM
Just play the Sabre Dance... Beter after a goal than when the team enters the ice... I HOPE they still play it then, don't they?

sahlensguy
10-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Real Salt Lake of the MLS is lucky to have a great anthem. They play at Rio Tinto (the Riot), so there's that, but if a bunch of vanilla assed Mormons can have a cool original song, Buffalo can do better.

https://youtu.be/Pa1DJ008t9Y

chernobylwraiths
10-22-2015, 10:31 AM
you think lines gel in 6 games? Actually they can't gel because he keeps changing the lines to she what works best. This could take 20 to 30 games from what I hear until things really START to show.

We KNEW this would take a bit to get going didn't we? What don't we let it?

OpIv37
10-22-2015, 10:46 AM
you think lines gel in 6 games? Actually they can't gel because he keeps changing the lines to she what works best. This could take 20 to 30 games from what I hear until things really START to show.

We KNEW this would take a bit to get going didn't we? What don't we let it?

He said it was a strength. It's not a strength if the team goes 1/4 of the season or more without exhibiting it. Maybe it will be eventually but it certainly isn't right now.

sahlensguy
10-22-2015, 10:47 AM
He said it was a strength. It's not a strength if the team goes 1/4 of the season or more without exhibiting it. Maybe it will be eventually but it certainly isn't right now.

How dare he!

OpIv37
10-22-2015, 10:48 AM
We have 4 losses but 2 wins. You don't get 2 by luck. If you can't come up with a strength, in my book, you're nothing more than a critic.

We won two games for two entirely different reasons. One was a 4 goal offensive output, the other was a grind-it-out 1-1 tie that we won in the shootout. I'm not saying the team doesn't have strenghts- I'm saying they haven't done any one thing consistently enough to call it a "strength" yet.

sahlensguy
10-22-2015, 10:55 AM
We won two games for two entirely different reasons. One was a 4 goal offensive output, the other was a grind-it-out 1-1 tie that we won in the shootout. I'm not saying the team doesn't have strenghts- I'm saying they haven't done any one thing consistently enough to call it a "strength" yet.

You haven't said they have a strength. But you're 'not saying the team doesn't have strengths"? Okley dokley.

Give it up. You're just being a douche. A poster says the teams strength is A, you say it's obviously not, it's, uhh, you don't know.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Real Salt Lake of the MLS is lucky to have a great anthem. They play at Rio Tinto (the Riot), so there's that, but if a bunch of vanilla assed Mormons can have a cool original song, Buffalo can do better.

https://youtu.be/Pa1DJ008t9Y

I like the song but I thought it was so annoying when they changed the MLS teams to mimic european team names.

OpIv37
10-22-2015, 11:50 AM
You haven't said they have a strength. But you're 'not saying the team doesn't have strengths"? Okley dokley.

Give it up. You're just being a douche. A poster says the teams strength is A, you say it's obviously not, it's, uhh, you don't know.

He called something a strength that clearly isn't a strength. Me not identifying something else as a strength does not change that. But at least he was discussing hockey. You're trying to make this about me.

ICRockets
10-22-2015, 12:17 PM
He called something a strength that clearly isn't a strength. Me not identifying something else as a strength does not change that. But at least he was discussing hockey. You're trying to make this about me.

No, you've made it about you. "Look at me, I have something negative to say! Isn't that NEW and SHOCKING?!"

ICRockets
10-22-2015, 12:18 PM
But it's fine, you're such a buffoon that you think goals scored is the ONLY offensive stat in hockey. Your opinion means less than nothing.

OpIv37
10-22-2015, 12:19 PM
No, you've made it about you. "Look at me, I have something negative to say! Isn't that NEW and SHOCKING?!"
I didn't say anything negative. I stated reality. 11 goals in 6 games. I didn't make it up.

trapezeus
10-23-2015, 04:54 AM
Op. It's less than 10 games in. So they went 55 minutes with out a goal at home. They still fought back and won. Which is a huge difference from last year. At the 8 minute mark I was done and thought they would lose. But they stayed with it and won. I was impressed for where they are at. Two games against SC division reps? And they were in those games. And shot differential isn't -84 or something ridiculous.

I I also love the goal song.

OpIv37
01-25-2016, 10:22 AM
Let's revisit this:

I made it up to Buffalo for two games this year: The lackluster 2-1 NYE loss to the Islanders and the 4-1 dismantling of the Caps, which was by far their best game all season so far.

As much as I dislike the song, the way they edited it works great in the arena. The "Make some noise" part gets the crowd into it, and let's face it, the FNC hasn't exactly been loud the last couple of years. The fan base has been too beaten down and sometimes needs the extra encouragement to get into it.

I'd still prefer a rock song and I think Swords of a Thousand Men is much better, but this song fits far better than I thought it would.