• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Great Sully article about the Cassel trade

Bills' company line on QBs doesn't quite add up

Rex Ryan has hit a bit of a rough patch over the past several days. It’s enough to make me think the honeymoon period is officially over.

On Sunday, the Patriots came to town and shoved Ryan’s tough talk back in his face. On Monday night, the Jets embarrassed the Colts, moving to 2-0 and taking some of the luster off the Bills’ opening-day win. Oh, the Jet defense leads the NFL with 10 takeaways. They had 13 all last year under Ryan.

On Tuesday, General Manager Doug Whaley traded backup quarterback Matt Cassel to the Cowboys, forcing EJ Manuel’s elevation to No. 2 on the QB depth chart. On Wednesday came Ryan’s fumbling attempt to defend the Cassel trade as a strategy to help EJ develop and strengthen the team in the long term.

“We appreciated Matt,” Ryan said. “He did a fine job for us. But when you look at it, EJ is going to develop much more when he’s the two than he would be as the three. At the end of the day, a lot of it, that’s what it came down to.”

OK, any quarterback will develop more as the backup, where he gets more reps. But when did Manuel’s long-term development become the primary consideration? When did it take precedence over the immediate objective, winning?

EJ was third string during the summer. He was third string after the Bills cut Cassel and re-signed him for less money. He was third string for the first two games. So by their actions, it was the coaches who said Manuel was inferior to Cassel. If not, why wasn’t Manuel the backup the first two games?

“That was certainly a discussion at the time,” Ryan said. “I thought EJ played extremely well. But to say EJ is inferior, he’s not inferior to any quarterback.”

Sorry to use a loaded word like “inferior.” I’d hate to hurt Manuel’s feelings by suggesting he’s inferior to Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, or even Tyrod Taylor.

I was no Cassel fan. I felt he would be an uninspiring choice as the starter and agreed that Taylor deserved a shot. I can understand why some fans felt EJ was a better option, especially after the preseason games.

But this isn’t about my judgment, or the average fan’s. It about the coaches, who clearly determined that Cassel was the superior option on more than one occasion. QB coach David Lee said Cassel was the best he ever saw in meetings, a savvy veteran whose insight was an invaluable asset to the younger QBs.

Ryan did his best to put forth a united front, as he did after Whaley cut Fred Jackson. But this is an obvious case of the GM favoring his own guy. Whaley’s reputation is tied to Manuel. So he clears out space for EJ, putting him one step closer to playing and making a first-round draft reach look good.

More...

• sdbillsfan2
    • Apr 2005

Re: Great Sully article about the Cassel trade

Not a Sully fan , but I thought the same thing before the article came out. EJ 's success or failure will always be linked to DW. As is Sammy's.
    I dont trust DW's thinking and Rex is starting to look like Circus side show
    All this makes me miss the Polien/Levy combination.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Sullivan is such a little beotch, love to slam his pencil neck into a trash can. How about a much simpler explanation- there wasn't a big spread either way between EJ and Cassel and somebody offered the Bills a pick for Cassel.

It's like that old treadmill you have sitting in the basement. You could argue whether it's more useful than the exercise bike but if someone calls and offers you $100 for the treadmill that thing is headed out the bulkhead door and you'll tell everyone how much more you like the exercise bike.

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

Can't stand Sullivan but I agree. Cassel wouldn't of been the back up if the staff believed in EJ.

Comment

• delectrolux
          • May 2007

oh man, articles about the back-up QB...

So, why re-sign Cassel at all if Whaley was just looking for a way to get rid of him? If Doug's in charge of the situation now, why wasn't he a couple weeks ago? Talk about grasping at straws to make something out of nothing.

I think Bill Cody got it right up there

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
          How about a much simpler explanation- there wasn't a big spread either way between EJ and Cassel and somebody offered the Bills a pick for Cassel.

Comment

• WagonCircler
            Escaped Convict
            • Jul 2002

The back up QB position is relevant when you enter the season with 3 backup QBs and no starting QBs on your roster. And it's still that way.

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
              The back up QB position is relevant when you enter the season with 3 backup QBs and no starting QBs on your roster. And it's still that way.
              it would be that way whether we traded Cassel or not. Sullivan has no depth of football knowledge. I bet few players or coaches open up to him with anything of value because they know he can't be trusted not to stab them in the back. This is just his usual stir the pot BS. Sorry nothing to see here folks, keep the line moving.

Comment

• delectrolux
                • May 2007

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                That may very well be true, but trying to turn the minimal difference between Cassel and Manuel into some big conspiracy by the current GM is kind of silly. The truth is, neither is a very good QB, so it hardly matters which one stays or goes. Maybe if they had traded Orton away and kept Manuel, there might be some steam there. You might even be able to make some hay about them letting Fitzpatrick go a couple of years ago. But Cassel? No smoke and no fire.
                Last edited by delectrolux; 09-24-2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• mightysimi
                  Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                  • Mar 2010

My thoughts were that Cassell was the back up for immediate purposes based on experience and needing less prep time. But if Taylor would go down long term, it would go to EJ because his skill set matches more with Taylor's. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Great article ?

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• djjimkelly
                      • Apr 2003

or maybe flutie/RJ 2 is about to begin lol

- - - Updated - - -

or maybe flutie/RJ 2 is about to begin lol

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

They liked Cassel so much better than EJ that they were willing to cut him and risk his going elsewhere for nothing in return.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

crap article. one of his worst

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                          My thoughts were that Cassell was the back up for immediate purposes based on experience and needing less prep time. But if Taylor would go down long term, it would go to EJ because his skill set matches more with Taylor's. Just my opinion.
                          exactly. cassel has been around and could go into any game against any opponent and wing it if he had to and still do a reasonably decent job. yet theres little doubt in my mind that if tylor got hurt or sucked they would have turned to ej to start games where they had a week to prepare him

plus having cassel as #2 makes him more valuable in a trade. i expect that they intended to look for ways to trade cassel the further they got into the season after they confirmed ty could play (he can) and that ej was still progressing in practice (rex says he is). cassel was everything-goes-to-**** insurance and they obviously felt comfortable that they had determined that was unlikely so they moved him for value. great team mgmt if you ask me
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• cookie G
                            • Mar 2003

Can people please stop acting like they cut/traded Peyton Manning and/or Tom Brady's little brother?

The guy sucked. The idea that he is this mistake free-Bradylite is a long dispelled myth that got Scott Pioli canned in KC.

The guy's production over the past 4 seasons was worse than EJ's over his first 14 games and he was outplayed...significantly...by EJ during the preseason.

The only scary thing is that there were actually rumors that this schmuck would be the opening day starter.

Punt
                            Punt
                            Punt
                            FG
                            Pick 6

If he wasn't a semi-good looking white guy from USC who was looked at as the next Tom Brady by some, he would have been out of the league years ago.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Cassel was traded and EJ was kept because EJ is the better QB, period. The only area Cassel has him beat is experience, but that experience didn't do much for the Bills the past 2 games, which is likely why they traded him. But they're not going to come out and say "he proved to be worthless to us."

Comment

Working...
                              X