PDA

View Full Version : Jeanneret working oooooovvertimmme!...this year was supposed to be his final season

DetDannyWilliams
09-25-2015, 04:24 PM
Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame play-by-play man Rick Jeanneret, who was scheduled to retire after this season, instead is going into oooooovvertimmme.
The National Hockey League team announced today that the 73-year-old Jeanneret will continue to do play-by-play after this season and in the foreseeable future.
Jeanneret is scheduled to call 41 games this season in his final year of what was supposed to be his final contract.

However, he has agreed to come back for the 2016-17 season. It is unclear how many games he will work, but Jeanneret said this morning he anticipates it will be in the same range as this season if he feels as healthy as he feels today.

Jeanneret, who has called Sabres games for 43 years, will now work on a year-to-year basis in much the same way as Los Angeles Dodgers legend Vin Scully operates.

~“Most if it was predicated on how I felt,” said Jeanneret, a cancer survivor who worked all 47 games he was contracted to do last season after being treated for months for throat cancer. “I feel great. This never would have happened if I didn’t feel so good. When they offered me an opportunity to come back, I said, ‘well, sure. Why not? What else am I going to do?’

“He is healthy, he feels terrific, he’s our Hall of Famer,” said Mark Preisler, the executive vice president for media and content for Pegula Sports and Entertainment. “He is going to decide when it is time for him to go. He’s our treasure. The Sabres are on the rise. I can’t imagine the Sabres hitting the next chapter without Rick Jeanneret at the microphone.”
Jeanneret said optimism about the Sabres’ being a team on the rise made the decision to continue after this season easier.

“Ohhh, yes. There’s no doubt about that, whatsoever,” said Jeanneret. “And there’s no doubt they are a team on the rise. I’m very, very optimistic about this hockey club. I am even optimistic about this year. I know a lot of people figure it is going to take quite a bit of time. I firmly believe they are a playoff contender this year. That adds to it. Of course it does. Why wouldn’t it? Especially after the last couple of seasons, which were in the dumper. It is nice to be on the other side looking down.”

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2015/09/25/jeanneret-to-return-for-2016-17-season-as-sabres-change-retirement-plans/

JATMtheJATM
10-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Lord knows RJ is a legend. But he sounded awful last night. I know everyone loves him, but I think it's time he steps away.

DetDannyWilliams
10-10-2015, 07:26 AM
Lord knows RJ is a legend. But he sounded awful last night. I know everyone loves him, but I think it's time he steps away.

Hall of Fame play-by-play man Rick Jeanneret is expected to call 40-50 of the 77 regular season games carried by Madison Square Garden Network this season, according to Mark Preisler, the executive vice president for media and content for Pegula Sports and Entertainment (PSE).
Dan Dunleavy will call the remainder of the MSG games. The other five games are on national outlets.
Ex-Sabre Andrew Peters, who offers analysis on the Sabres morning radio show carried on WGR, is expected to be an analyst on a couple of radio games, said Preisler.
Brian Duff, the TV pregame, intermission and post-game host, is expected to do play-by-play on about five radio games, said Preisler.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2015/10/08/some-new-wrinkles-in-coverage-of-new-look-sabres-and-a-prediction/

sounds like Sabres are slowly phazing out syncing TV and radio games... one play-by-play announcer for TV Jeanneret/Dunleavy with Rayzor doing the analysis for TV, and another for radio with Duff doing the play-by-play and Peters doing the analysis for radio. Which I'm fine with... at least it's not Sylvester doing the play-by-play. "TAKE THAT TOOTOO!"

ckg927
10-10-2015, 08:29 AM
I'm surprised they never considered Marty Biron for an analyst post. God knows he was never at a loss for words during his NHL career.