PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed by Tannehill and the Dolphins at all

ghz in pittsburgh
09-27-2015, 06:00 PM
Going into the season, there is a lot talk by NFL observers that the Dolphins are challenging the Pats for the division. They brought big name FAs, They have a steady improving QB getting a $100 million contract. 3 games in, looks like they are THE team in NFL that we have every year where big spending and big hype = zilch.

Andrew Luck was under much more pressure, with much less offensive talent, and produced far more than Tannehill. Dolphins' defense? Forget about the score, the Bills' offense had the easiest time this game over the 3 game span and it is Dolphins home opener. I almost expect the Bills to convert every 3rd down regardless the down and distance.

On a side note, boy are we lucky that we have Harvin as a receiver?

Night Train
09-27-2015, 06:02 PM
On a side note, boy are we lucky that we have Harvin as a receiver?

A few gasbags here wanted him cut.

DynaPaul
09-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Harvin is doing great. He's making Sammy almost expendable.

Mike13
09-27-2015, 06:09 PM
I am finding fewer and fewer reasons to give a **** at this point.

Meathead
09-27-2015, 06:13 PM
on paper before the season started the fish looked like the second best team in the division and a serious playoff contender

after three games and especially today they look like total frauds. pretty shocking how bad they were today. i figured the offense would struggle with all the injuries to that unit but never imagined the defense would be as porous as they were

glad the bills look terrific but they cant be THAT good. miami really looked like stanky old fish. philbin wont last the season if they dont turn it around in dramatic fashion from here

ghz in pittsburgh
09-27-2015, 06:24 PM
So true. The only thing the fish can do on D is stuff the run in the middle. But no pass rush, secondary can't cover, can't tackle. Tyrod had a great game. By my account, he had to make may be two tough throws where coverage is in the right place. Otherwise, he's throwing to fairly open guys and he missed two throws to wide open guys as well.

On the other side, I don't know what they are talking about Tannehill making big boy throws this season. He's missing guys left and right, especially on long ones - the big boy throws.

starrymessenger
09-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Something is goin on down there. I think the players are trying to get their coach fired. If this keeps up he'll be gone over the bye.

Crisis
09-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Tannehill was always overrated. I've never seen the hype around him and Bridgewater especially. I think he's a game manager at best.

Philbin is the worst coach in the NFL. There's too much talent on that team for them to be this garbage.

Bill Cody
09-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Philbin is a dead man walking. It's their home opener against a division rival and you come out THAT flat? They showed a pulse after halftime but the game was over at that point. Philbin will be the first coach in the league fired this year, he stinks.

Mace
09-27-2015, 06:59 PM
It's sort of odd to consider, but you're better off without a QB good enough to crush your cap and make it all about him. Tannehill generates not much cap hit but huge dead money for being Tannehill, and Cutler, Brees, Flacco, & Stafford seem to be paying out a lot more than their value atm. So does anyone really want a Tannehill, Cutler, Brees, Flacco or Stafford anymore ?

Crisis
09-27-2015, 07:00 PM
Worst case scenario is they bring in a competent offensive minded HC and Schwartz as DC. McDaniels-Schwartz?

Jeff1220
09-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Tannehill was throwing behind his receivers all day. And Philbin reminds me of Jauron.

Mike13
09-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Tannehill was throwing behind his receivers all day. And Philbin reminds me of Jauron.

Because he had to rush his throws all day

Ed
09-27-2015, 09:47 PM
Joe Philbin is just another guy that got a HC gig because he had the privilege of working with an elite future HOF qb.

Forward_Lateral
09-28-2015, 05:33 AM
Tannehill was under pressure all game long. Miami's O-line played awful. Yeah the Bills only had 1 sack (??) but they got constant pressure on Tanny and forced him into many bad throws/mistakes.

Philbin is a terrible coach.

If I was a Miami fan I wouldn't blame this loss on Tannehill at all.

Topas
09-28-2015, 06:30 AM
Tannehill was always overrated. I've never seen the hype around him and Bridgewater especially. I think he's a game manager at best.

Philbin is the worst coach in the NFL. There's too much talent on that team for them to be this garbage.

Agree with regard to Tannehill. Disagree with regard to Bridgewater. I think he will become a good to great QB.
If you want to question the hype for a QB from that year you have to look at Manziel. And the stupid Browns drafted him ahead of Bridgewater. Cant believe it.

Jaydog57
09-28-2015, 06:46 AM
We suck. Philbin coaches like he's under sedation. He'll probably be asleep from jet lag when we play in London next week. That's a long way to go to get our asses handed to us again. Congrats on the win, your team definitely showed up to play with a lot more energy than ours did. Time to start making a new Head Coach wish list. :peace:

k-oneputt
09-28-2015, 06:51 AM
[QUOTE=Jaydog57;4137149]We suck. Philbin coaches like he's under sedation. He'll probably be asleep from jet lag when we play in London next week. That's a long way to go to get our asses handed to us again. Congrats on the win, your team definitely showed up to play with a lot more energy than ours did. Time to start making a new Head Coach wish list. :peace:[/QUOTE

Gruden, Mora at UCLA are two names you will hear.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-28-2015, 08:24 AM
home opener and the stadium was no where near a sell out. lots of empty seats. LOTS of empty seats. That would not happen in Buffalo!

gebobs
09-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Tannehill was under pressure all game long. Miami's O-line played awful. Yeah the Bills only had 1 sack (??) but they got constant pressure on Tanny and forced him into many bad throws/mistakes.
It looked to me like they were rushing four a lot though the few blitzes that came really caused disruption and turnovers (e.g. Darby and Brown's INTs). For the record: two sacks...Dareus and Charles.

Ingtar33
09-28-2015, 08:36 AM

when QBs throw behind their WR it's typically because they're taking their eyes off that WR durring the throwing motion. In little kids, that typically is because they like to look at the ball as it leaves their hands. In Tannehill's case it's probably more likely he's glancing at the passrush.

Buckets
09-28-2015, 09:06 AM
I am finding fewer and fewer reasons to give a **** at this point.

Starting to feel like a Bills fan felt for the last 10 years?

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-28-2015, 09:18 AM

More like 15. Lol

Novacane
09-28-2015, 09:54 AM
I'd be depressed is Philbin coached my team.

Pinkerton Security
09-28-2015, 10:19 AM
I never quite understood the hype - their line sucks, their secondary isnt anything special, Tannehill really has never been anything more than a game manager to me, their RBs are quite average....yet people were picking them to make a run deep into the playoffs. Suh isnt going to single handedly turn a team from an 8-8 team to anything much more than that.

imbondz
09-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Our pass rush is going to make mediocre QBs look like rookies. I think Tannehill has a lot of potential, but so do a lot of QBs.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-28-2015, 10:27 AM
I agree with gebobs that the Bills rushed 4 dlinemen most of the time. BUT they provided tighter coverage at the backend with safety help at the top (so in case someone break loose, not a big play). This is obviously the main adjustment they made after the Pats game. Don't forget though, Dolphins don't have Edelman type of waterbug guys so it is easier for Bills' secondary to press from the get-go.

Tannehill just did not have the feel. Didn't wait when he could. When he threw quick, he needed to be on target because of coverage in place, he missed all over the place. The Bills' ends didn't let him get out to create moving pocket. And just when he seemed to get a little handle on our pass rush, the blitz came, creating turnovers. Overall nice preparation and adjustments during the game.

I have that feeling that the coaches, especially the defensive side coaches, lost the Pats game. Rex is embarrassed. Deep down, that MNF with NE can't come quicker enough where this team, players/coaches have something to prove. But they do have something to sort in between now and then.

gebobs
09-28-2015, 10:32 AM
I have that feeling that the coaches, especially the defensive side coaches, lost the Pats game. Rex is embarrassed. Deep down, that MNF with NE can't come quicker enough where this team, players/coaches have something to prove. But they do have something to sort in between now and then.
Wouldn't it be nice if Ryan had the kind of history with Bellichick where we could expect them to be prepared the next time they play. Unfortunately, Bellichick has pretty much owned that rivalry.

Here's hoping...

ghz in pittsburgh
09-28-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm a believer it's not about how you start, it's about how you finish, unless you have a super talent team far away above everybody else. Come to think of it, Brady and Randy Moss team had that some years ago going 16 and 0. I don't think this Pats team is of that caliber.

Right now, at the start of the season, you are trying to find out about your team (who can do what), your playbook (what works what does not), and refine it all the way into the second half. Rex was telling the truth after the NE loss when he said it is learning experience (about this Bills team) for him, too.

Somewhere I guess Tyrod figures prominantly in this discovery phase. Right now every time he steps onto the field, it's a new discovery for everyone. Miami will have the first crack at facing him twice, and then it is Belichick's turn...

ghz in pittsburgh
09-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Just keep this note somewhere -- I know Rex will never let this go:

On Ryan bringing team together after the loss... I pulled out the tricks. But what I did was I told them the truth. As I mentioned our bounceback started in the fourth quarter of that New England game. Back when it's easy to throw out the white flag and you're down all those scores, we did the opposite. We made it a game against a team that was trying to stick it you. We know it. Everybody knows it. I'm the only guy who'll admit it. So we knew it. I can tell you this, we're a talented team. Especially when we have our guys out there, we'll see how it goes. We know we're a long way away from matching up with New England obviously. They blew us out. OK, we'll see. Each week, we move on. I finding out a lot about this team but they showed me a lot about their heart and resiliency so I expected us to play well when we went to Miami.

trapezeus
09-28-2015, 01:34 PM
tannehill sucks against the bills. even before our excellent d emerged. he had some atrocious figures vs the bills. i think he's had one decent game. others were like a qb rating of 59 for the other games combined.

it's nice to have at least one division opp's number.

Mike13
09-28-2015, 06:38 PM
home opener and the stadium was no where near a sell out. lots of empty seats. LOTS of empty seats. That would not happen in Buffalo!

Yeah, except your team has struggled with blackouts repeatedly over the years. Going by what I have read on this board.

More like 15 years.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Yeah, except your team has struggled with blackouts repeatedly over the years. Going by what I have read on this board.

More like 15 years.

not for home openers as far as i can remember

Jry44
09-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Harvin is doing great. He's making Sammy almost expendable.

No he's not.....

YardRat
09-29-2015, 04:49 AM
Largest margin of victory for a Buffalo team at Miami since '66.

gebobs
09-29-2015, 07:46 AM
not for home openers as far as i can remember

...against a divisional rival.

But yes, the Bills had a few games that did not sellout. Basically every game at the Rogers Centre. Other than that, in 2012 and 2013, the last game each year had lousy weather, the team was eliminated from the playoffs, the opposition was likewise eliminated, and people had holidays on their mind. The only other game that did not sell out was a 12/2 game pitting the 4-7 Bills against the 2-9 Jagoffs.

But opening day with two divisional rivals tied in the standings? Negative.

gebobs
09-29-2015, 08:02 AM
Largest margin of victory for a Buffalo team at Miami since '66.

29-0. Big games for Booth Lustig and Bobby Burnett, two names you don't hear much of. Sloppy game even by that era's standards. The Bills had 5 turnovers and Miami had 4. Marty Shottenheimer had one of those picks for the Bills along with a blocked punt that squirted through the end zone for a safety.

Miami's QB that day was Dick Wood.

It was Cookie Gilchrist's first game against his former mates as a Dolphin. He played a total of four games against Buffalo and lost them all. He retired the following season.

PromoTheRobot
09-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Funny how every good team the Bills pound is suddenly overrated.