PDA

View Full Version : Incognito

Mace
09-28-2015, 06:18 PM
I wasn't in favor of signing him (I'm looking pretty wrong), but he's getting the attention that leads to all pro if he keeps it up and has learned to control himself to some extent (I saw him Doblering a couple times on replays and laughed when the whistle blew and he went all innocent "what, did you see what that guy did to me ?", dropping his arms while the defensive player kept slapping like he thought he was being attacked by a swarm of killer bees after the whistle, "Oh yeah, I'll show you.")

Props to him. Damn good signing looks like.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/28/best-players-at-every-position-for-week-3/

BillsImpossible
09-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Heard him on the John Murphy Show tonight.

Sounds like a very mature, well spoken football player that's done a lot of growing up.

In a recent interview, he owned up to his past and said he's going to have to deal with it for the rest of his life.

In all 3 games, Richie Incognito has been the best offensive lineman for the Bills.

0 sacks yesterday.

Incognito is the leader of the Buffalo Bills offensive line.

jimmifli
09-28-2015, 08:14 PM
I liked the signing right away. My criticism (along with Yardie, Spiked and others) was that betting on Richie and a draft pick to fix our guard position was a huge gamble. It looks like half of that gamble paid off. And Miller looks like he'll figure it out, but that's going to be a bumpy ride.

And we did nothing at tackle.

So, it's awesome that our low risk no cost gamble hit a jackpot, but that doesn't make our front office's Oline strategy any smarter.

BidsJr
09-28-2015, 08:47 PM
=Beast

ICRockets
09-28-2015, 09:02 PM
I liked the signing right away. My criticism (along with Yardie, Spiked and others) was that betting on Richie and a draft pick to fix our guard position was a huge gamble. It looks like half of that gamble paid off. And Miller looks like he'll figure it out, but that's going to be a bumpy ride.

So, it's awesome that our low risk no cost gamble hit a jackpot, but that doesn't make our front office's Oline strategy any smarter.

Without the low risk no cost gamble, I don't know that we'd have been able to afford the Clay offer sheet and the Dareus extension, so I'm gonna disagree with you that it wasn't a smart strategy.

OpIv37
09-28-2015, 09:41 PM

Perfectly said. Right now it's looking like I was dead wrong on Incognito but it's not about me. Still a huge gamble by the FO.

OpIv37
09-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Without the low risk no cost gamble, I don't know that we'd have been able to afford the Clay offer sheet and the Dareus extension, so I'm gonna disagree with you that it wasn't a smart strategy.

Uh, if the gamble didn't pay off, we wouldn't be able to get Clay the ball and Dareus would be neutralized by being on the field 35+ minutes a game. They staked the efficacy of the Clay and Dareus moves on Incognito and a rookie on the OL and they got lucky.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
09-28-2015, 10:20 PM
He had a great block to spring karlos for the TD

ICRockets
09-28-2015, 11:17 PM
Uh, if the gamble didn't pay off, we wouldn't be able to get Clay the ball and Dareus would be neutralized by being on the field 35+ minutes a game. They staked the efficacy of the Clay and Dareus moves on Incognito and a rookie on the OL and they got lucky.

Why is it luck? Are you part of the Bills pro or college scouting teams? No, you're not. So you can't tell me it's luck when the alternative is the possibility our scouts knew exactly what they were getting with both Incognito and Miller (the rookie, who has a ****ing name, you dip****).

Ed
09-29-2015, 09:02 AM
This argument that the Bills gambled with the OL is completely false. The team didn't go into the offseason saying we're only going to add Incognito and a rookie, and then just hope for the best. They made Bryan Bulaga a top FA target and went hard after him offering him more money than any other team, but he chose to stay in GB. We're probably lucky that didn't work out since he's on like his 3rd significant knee injury in the last 4 years. When they didn't get Bulaga they went hard after Clint Boling, but he chose to stay with his team too. There were only a few FA's that could legitimately upgrade the OL. In case you guys haven't noticed poor OL play is a league-wide issue right now. There's maybe 3-4 teams that have really solid OL's. Everyone else could use help.

justasportsfan
09-29-2015, 09:13 AM
So you can't tell me it's luck when the alternative is the possibility our scouts knew exactly what they were getting with both Incognito and Miller

Haven't you heard ? If anyone else hired a player after a probowl year their FO is smart. If the bills hired them, they got lucky.

gebobs
09-29-2015, 10:09 AM

So did Gray. The TE took out Suh with ease.

OpIv37
09-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Why is it luck? Are you part of the Bills pro or college scouting teams? No, you're not. So you can't tell me it's luck when the alternative is the possibility our scouts knew exactly what they were getting with both Incognito and Miller (the rookie, who has a ****ing name, you dip****).

Yeah, I can tell you it's luck because no scout is good enough to know how prepared a guy will be after a year and a half out of the league and no scout is good enough to know if a mid round rookie will start from day 1.

OpIv37
09-29-2015, 10:33 AM
This argument that the Bills gambled with the OL is completely false. The team didn't go into the offseason saying we're only going to add Incognito and a rookie, and then just hope for the best. They made Bryan Bulaga a top FA target and went hard after him offering him more money than any other team, but he chose to stay in GB. We're probably lucky that didn't work out since he's on like his 3rd significant knee injury in the last 4 years. When they didn't get Bulaga they went hard after Clint Boling, but he chose to stay with his team too. There were only a few FA's that could legitimately upgrade the OL. In case you guys haven't noticed poor OL play is a league-wide issue right now. There's maybe 3-4 teams that have really solid OL's. Everyone else could use help.
Actually you just proved that it is luck. They couldn't get the guys they wanted and got lucky that the guys they were able to get have been good so far.
And you say that OL play is a problem league wide but the Bills found two starters in a talent vacuum? More luck.

The King
09-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I can tell you it's luck because no scout is good enough to know how prepared a guy will be after a year and a half out of the league and no scout is good enough to know if a mid round rookie will start from day 1.

I would say a well calculated bet is a better term. Icognito had one chance to turn the tables and resume an NFL career - actually a career in football. He proved right out of the gate to be committed and appreciative of the opportunity.

The lucky part was Miller fell to the Bills in the second round. But Whaley has proven himself as finding value in the draft.

Ed
09-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Actually you just proved that it is luck. They couldn't get the guys they wanted and got lucky that the guys they were able to get have been good so far.
And you say that OL play is a problem league wide but the Bills found two starters in a talent vacuum? More luck.
Yeah they are fortunate that Incognito has worked out very well so far. No one is denying that, but you guys are saying that they didn't try to do more to address the line. They did do more and that's my point. They didn't gamble with the OL, they just couldn't get all the players they wanted.

ublinkwescore
09-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Perfectly said. Right now it's looking like I was dead wrong on Incognito but it's not about me. Still a huge gamble by the FO.

that was beautiful.

BuffaloRedleg
09-29-2015, 02:34 PM

You can't just say it is luck when something good happens and always say it is ineptitude when something bad happens.

Sometimes you have to give credit when credit is due.

The Jokeman
09-29-2015, 03:17 PM
I would say a well calculated bet is a better term. Icognito had one chance to turn the tables and resume an NFL career - actually a career in football. He proved right out of the gate to be committed and appreciative of the opportunity.

The lucky part was Miller fell to the Bills in the second round. But Whaley has proven himself as finding value in the draft.

You mean the third round, Darby was the Bills' second round pick.

Goobylal
09-29-2015, 03:33 PM

No it's not luck WRT Incognito. He was a good OG before being black-balled. Karlos Williams OTOH was luck. You don't wait to take a guy you think will be that good.

YardRat
09-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Trying isn't doing. They wanted big name/big talent at the skill positions and spent oodles of money on RB, FB, TE and WR, arguably over-paying for all. They wanted to retain Hughes, and spent bucks to keep him. More recently, they wanted to extend Dareus and had to make some tough choices (*cough*FJax*cough*) to get it done. The same attention and desire wasn't paid to the offensive line regardless of an offer to Bulaga, and unless I missed something significant they never 'went hard' after Boling (I'm thinking I would remember if they did considering he was singled out as one of the main FA targets for me, and I was tracking him the best I could).

They were committed to upgrading skill positions, not so much the oline, IMO that isn't even debatable.

Goobylal
09-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Trying isn't doing. They wanted big name/big talent at the skill positions and spent oodles of money on RB, FB, TE and WR, arguably over-paying for all. They wanted to retain Hughes, and spent bucks to keep him. More recently, they wanted to extend Dareus and had to make some tough choices (*cough*FJax*cough*) to get it done. The same attention and desire wasn't paid to the offensive line regardless of an offer to Bulaga, and unless I missed something significant they never 'went hard' after Boling (I'm thinking I would remember if they did considering he was singled out as one of the main FA targets for me, and I was tracking him the best I could).

They were committed to upgrading skill positions, not so much the oline, IMO that isn't even debatable.
The Bills tried and for the most part did do. They added RI, who has been a stud, and Miller, who has been playing well and should only get better. They liked Glenn and Wood (or, were more or less stuck with him). I'd say that they probably wanted to upgrade RT, but you can't win them all.

And as for FJax, while it was sad to see him go, Karlos Williams has made most forget him. He'd have been buried on the depth chart otherwise.

BillsImpossible
09-29-2015, 05:54 PM
The only thing bad about Richie Incognito right now is how he is only signed to a 1 year contract.

Terry might soon have to drill another oil well.

Mace
09-29-2015, 05:56 PM

I'm still not sure how that works out though. new offense, new o-line coach. I'm giving them to the halfway point to see how it's working, gives them and Roman time to gel and build up some momentum. Have a feeling they might not be so bad as people worried in the longer view.

Mike13
09-29-2015, 06:01 PM
The only thing bad about Richie Incognito right now is how he is only signed to a 1 year contract.

Terry might soon have to drill another oil well.

well he knows he is on his last stop, maybe he ditched the fratbro bull**** for good.

YardRat
09-29-2015, 06:11 PM
The Bills tried and for the most part did do. They added RI, who has been a stud, and Miller, who has been playing well and should only get better. They liked Glenn and Wood (or, were more or less stuck with him). I'd say that they probably wanted to upgrade RT, but you can't win them all.

And as for FJax, while it was sad to see him go, Karlos Williams has made most forget him. He'd have been buried on the depth chart otherwise.

In free agency, and trades, if you want to 'win' badly enough you do. They 'won' a WR, a RB, a FB, and especially a TE. They covered both sides of the bet, with money. They gambled one side on the line with Incognito and Miller. We are fortunate things have worked out so well thus far.

Mace
09-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Sort of worth noting here that Bulaga is looking brittle. Both Bulaga and Mike Iupati (who I wanted) are already missing time with injuries. Either would have made a splash, and might be sitting on the pines anyway without another FA (who made an impact) signing, and maybe less than Miller to look forward to anyway.

Goobylal
09-29-2015, 06:43 PM
In free agency, and trades, if you want to 'win' badly enough you do. They 'won' a WR, a RB, a FB, and especially a TE. They covered both sides of the bet, with money. They gambled one side on the line with Incognito and Miller. We are fortunate things have worked out so well thus far.

Sort of worth noting here that Bulaga is looking brittle. Both Bulaga and Mike Iupati (who I wanted) are already missing time with injuries. Either would have made a splash, and might be sitting on the pines anyway without another FA (who made an impact) signing, and maybe less than Miller to look forward to anyway.

The guy they targeted was Bulaga. As Mace has said, he's been brittle and frankly I don't think he's all that great. The Packers re-signed him for $7M/year and the Bills probably would have had to offer him at least $8M/year. So no, you can't win them all.

thenry20
09-30-2015, 02:49 AM

I was going to mention this but you beat me to it. The only reason I can think of regarding McCoy's lack of similar success is his lingering injury. BTW, was RI's contract just for this year?

YardRat
09-30-2015, 05:01 AM
The guy they targeted was Bulaga. As Mace has said, he's been brittle and frankly I don't think he's all that great. The Packers re-signed him for $7M/year and the Bills probably would have had to offer him at least $8M/year. So no, you can't win them all.

If they really wanted to 'win' they could have offered that $8mil per year, or more.

mysticsoto
09-30-2015, 05:49 AM
If they really wanted to 'win' they could have offered that $8mil per year, or more.

Bulaga isn't worth that much. I'm glad we didn't get him...

Goobylal
09-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Bulaga hasn't played the past 2 games. Not worth even $7M/year, much less $8M.