PDA

View Full Version : So Roman simplified read for Tyrod in the Dolphins game ...

ghz in pittsburgh
10-02-2015, 06:07 AM
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/01/aaron-rodgers-colin-kaepernick-nfl-10-things-think

4. I think the Bills found their offensive formula at Miami with a game plan that featured play-action, go routes, dumpoffs in the flats and the occasional moving pocket or misdirection design. The common thread here? All of these tactics define the read for the quarterback. Instead of dropping back and scanning the entire field—which Buffalo’s heavy doses of isolation routes demanded in the loss to the Patriots—Tyrod Taylor could drop back and look for one specific target for whom the play was designed. Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman will have to call this sort of game again when his team hosts an overachieving, highly aggressive Giants defense Sunday.

From my memory though, I think there were multiple options for Tyrod in the moving pocket even though he's only reading half the field. The moving pocket gave Tyrod more time to find his target.

Let's see what the Giants do trying to force Tyrod read the entire field like the Pats. It'll be a season long adjustment and counter adjustment for Tyrod.

Night Train
10-02-2015, 06:14 AM
Sounds like the players are getting something this team hasn't had in 15 + years.

Coaching with successfull adjustments.

casdhf
10-02-2015, 06:29 AM
So we have a short RGIII. A guy that can make one read?

BidsJr
10-02-2015, 06:55 AM

If this is what your eyes are telling you..... Maybe you should get them checked,

WagonCircler
10-02-2015, 07:11 AM
As his time here goes on, I become more and more impressed with Greg Roman.

starrymessenger
10-02-2015, 08:43 AM
Don't know that this is much different than what Seattle did with Wilson. And with some of the best QBs getting the ball out in 1.2 seconds I really can't imagine they are going thru progressions. It looks to me simply a function of play design, gameplan and scheme. Nothing specific to Tyrod in particular. Now the super deep drops, the rolling out (especially to his left) and the moving pocket are all done to give a shorter QB a better view of the passing lanes. But again that's as much Wilson as Tyrod.

Buffalogic
10-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Hogan was like the 4th option on his td pass. Taylor helped us to 32 points during the pats game. Not buying this fully one way or the other. We probably use a lot of both as all teams do. Except the niners. Kaep sucks.

Forward_Lateral
10-02-2015, 11:03 AM
I think there's probably a handful of QBs that read the entire field on pass plays. The rest probably read half and some are one read only.

As long as it keeps working, who cares.

trapezeus
10-02-2015, 11:27 AM
if a coach saw somethign didn't work, changed it so that it worked, the qb now has to be ready to change. He has to say, "ok, i see why the simplification worked, but i also now understand some of the nuance you were trying before."

If that happens, tyrod will keep getting better.
if it doesn't happen, he's going to plateau, because better teams with better talent than miami will exploit simplicity.

i still like Tt's demeanor and think he will keep improving as we get to the bye.

K-Gun
10-02-2015, 11:35 AM
It seems like Tyrod is good at reading half the field. He doesn't lock on one target. But, when his primary target is on one side, it seems like he isn't mentally quick enough to scan all the way to the other side. For all intents and purposes, he's a rookie in his first live NFL action. It's going to take a while for the game to slow down for him, but when it does, he should be able to see the whole field and not have to cut his options in half.

With that said, one of the biggest issues I have so far is the Red Zone offense. It seems like they're giving him one side of the field to work with with limited options on that side. Much like the end of the Super Bowl when Kap rolled out and had just one target or the choice to run. Didn't work when they had double coverage and double spies on that side. Give Tyrod more options in the Red Zone!

swiper
10-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Is this the best OC we've had since Ted Marchibroda? Looking that way.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-02-2015, 11:54 AM
If there's one thing not to complain about is our red zone. We are 83 percent if I remember correctly

K-Gun
10-02-2015, 12:05 PM
If there's one thing not to complain about is our red zone. We are 83 percent if I remember correctly

Holy crap. That's 2nd in the league. I did not realize. Hope we keep it up!

justasportsfan
10-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Meanwhile, how is Kaep doing in SF? He's struggling without Roman.

DesertFox24
10-02-2015, 01:01 PM
As he develops plays more and becomes more accustomed to the offense this will change. Regardless who cares it is smart coaching and the player is executing it very well after 3 starts.

Just another case of people trying to protect their projections of bills sucking by finding an example of something we are doing and finding fault in it.

Meathead
10-02-2015, 01:07 PM
you gotta be kidding

tyrod isnt ready to be put with the best qbs in the league who you can say see the whole field but cmon, hes been finding guys way past one read every game hes played

theres probably some truth to what the author was pointing out, but to say the game has to be simplified for him is silly

POTLAND PSILBYLO
10-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Sounds like the players are getting something this team hasn't had in 15 + years.

Coaching with successfull adjustments.
Agree. If a coach can't adjust, he shouldn't expect his qb to read.

feldspar
10-02-2015, 02:55 PM
As his time here goes on, I become more and more impressed with Greg Roman.

Can you imagine if we still had Nate Hackett?

YardRat
10-02-2015, 04:56 PM
I think some are over-looking the fact that all QB's make pre-snap reads based on the defenses formation, movement, etc, (well, they should be) so none are really 'one-read' guys. Good ones know where they are going with the ball before it is even snapped and function as a 'one read' anyway. The better ones know the offense well enough to go to a second or third 'read' if they ****ed up the pre-snap read.

If Taylor has the ability to read a pre-snap well enough to get rid of the ball successfully on one read post-snap on a consistent basis I'm really OK with that.

HHURRICANE
10-02-2015, 05:44 PM
I think it's lost on everyone that it was a 5 point game with 4 minutes left with the Pats. Rex got everyone over fired which Marv did many times in big games.

Tyrod doesn't need the offense dumbed down. Coaches needed to adjust and they did.

Tyrod is going to be a Superstar in this league.

The Giants play a very similar gameplan to the Pats. Let's see if the Bills adjust correctly.

BillsImpossible
10-02-2015, 07:20 PM
.....Tyrod is going to be a Superstar in this league.

I couldn't agree more.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vwc0AW67CmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fixxxer
10-03-2015, 07:37 AM
I think the gameplan going into this game was flawless regardless of reads on some of the plays. We started the game with misdirection and the Phins had no answers for it and then Roman put Taylor on some easy spots for him to exploit the cracks on the Phins D. We hit first and the defense did the rest against a team that lacks identity at this point.

Execution is very important, always, but Roman is an OC smart enough to beat teams with gameplan and schemes. Against the top dogs, players will have more say in the outcome of games.

swiper
10-03-2015, 08:04 AM
I couldn't agree more.

just like Michael Vick and RG III he will.

cookie G
10-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Im not so sure Roman's plan was done to simplify reads for Taylor as it was to cause confusion for the Fins. He was doing a great job of creating flow one way and isolating a single area.

Offensive coordinator Greg Roman devised a brilliant plan that included a mixture of short, intermediate and long throws for which the Dolphins’ defense was woefully unprepared. He called no long drop-back passes on the first drive to, as Ryan said, “see if they could get in Ndamukong Suh’s head a little bit and the outside rushers.” Roman created coverage mismatches everywhere. He moved Taylor around, allowing him to still be highly effective from the pocket despite the Dolphins’ strategy of keeping him contained and daring him to beat them with his arm.

“Just keeping the Dolphins on their heels,” Robert Woods said. “We caused a lot of confusion. You get the defense talking” to each other “and snap it while they’re talking.”

“Such a creative mind,” Clay, a former Dolphin, said of Roman. “Whatever he says, we believe.”

Center Eric Wood is in his seventh season with the Bills. He and long snapper Garrison Sanborn have been on the team the same amount of time, experiencing much more failure than success.

It’s only three games, but they sense that something might very well be changing in that regard. And it’s the quick starts that the offense has had the past two weeks that is giving them that feeling.

“Garrison came up to me after the game and said those opening drives in the last two games were the most impressive he’s seen, especially back-to-back,” Wood said. “So that was fun.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09/27/hard-driving-bills-leave-dolphins-in-their-wake/

The offensive playcalling wasn't designed so much to find a weakness in teh D, but to create one.

swiper
10-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Head coach in waiting.

DraftBoy
10-03-2015, 10:25 AM
The most important take away from this is to watch how Roman is able to evolve the offense over the course of the season. He gets enormous credit for putting Taylor in a position to win but good defensive coordinators can figure out simplified offenses and take advantage. I expect Roman to incrementally evolve the Bills offensive complexity as Taylor gets more comfortable.

Feels nice to have such an intelligent and forward thinking OC.

DraftBoy
10-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Im not so sure Roman's plan was done to simplify reads for Taylor as it was to cause confusion for the Fins. He was doing a great job of creating flow one way and isolating a single area.

Offensive coordinator Greg Roman devised a brilliant plan that included a mixture of short, intermediate and long throws for which the Dolphins’ defense was woefully unprepared. He called no long drop-back passes on the first drive to, as Ryan said, “see if they could get in Ndamukong Suh’s head a little bit and the outside rushers.” Roman created coverage mismatches everywhere. He moved Taylor around, allowing him to still be highly effective from the pocket despite the Dolphins’ strategy of keeping him contained and daring him to beat them with his arm.

“Just keeping the Dolphins on their heels,” Robert Woods said. “We caused a lot of confusion. You get the defense talking” to each other “and snap it while they’re talking.”

“Such a creative mind,” Clay, a former Dolphin, said of Roman. “Whatever he says, we believe.”

Center Eric Wood is in his seventh season with the Bills. He and long snapper Garrison Sanborn have been on the team the same amount of time, experiencing much more failure than success.

It’s only three games, but they sense that something might very well be changing in that regard. And it’s the quick starts that the offense has had the past two weeks that is giving them that feeling.

“Garrison came up to me after the game and said those opening drives in the last two games were the most impressive he’s seen, especially back-to-back,” Wood said. “So that was fun.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/09/27/hard-driving-bills-leave-dolphins-in-their-wake/

The offensive playcalling wasn't designed so much to find a weakness in teh D, but to create one.

This is an important note because offenses designed to create mismatches are very difficult to stop defensively. Roman was extremely effective with this at SF.

Ingtar33
10-03-2015, 10:39 AM

that's not what I've seen. I don't think anyone who watched the fins game could possibly come to that conclusion. They ran only a handful of zone-read plays, they ran a lot of play action, which, across the league VASTLY simplifies the QB's reads (basically they watch the MLB and/or Edge Rusher and/or Safety, usually 2 of those depending on the play), they did a lot of moving pockets to reduce the pass rush, which is a time honored tactic used against strong pass rushes throughout league history, it also cuts down on the number of possible reads for the QB, which is what the author is talking about. It was a comprehensive gameplan built around limiting the passrush while exploiting the weak fins secondary.

Mr. Cynical
10-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Can you imagine if we still had Nate Hackett?

:ignore:

Mr. Cynical
10-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Head coach in waiting.

Pegula needs to back up the money truck and try to keep that from happening for at least a good 3 more years. T

BillsImpossible
10-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Pegula needs to back up the money truck and try to keep that from happening for at least a good 3 more years. T

Roman's not going anywhere after this season. He's got Tyrod Taylor.

5 years and a couple of Super Bowl wins from now, yes.

Not now.

swiper
10-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Roman's not going anywhere after this season. He's got Tyrod Taylor.

5 years and a couple of Super Bowl wins from now, yes.

Not now.

Exactly what they said in SF 2 or 3 years ago with Kapernick, you idiot. STFU.

BillsImpossible
10-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Exactly what they said in SF 2 or 3 years ago with Kapernick, you idiot. STFU.

Keep it classy, Swiper.

God, what a negative witch.

Go ride a broom.

psubills62
10-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Roman has always been a good OC, great to see things clicking here. Hope it keeps up.

Have always said that Roman's offense really complements Ryan's defenses very well. Tough, run-centric, and creative playcalling. It's a very fun offense to watch. And if we continue the success, I do think Roman will get a HC position at some point now that he's doing well outside of Harbaugh's shadow. Kind of have to hope he doesn't interview well.

swiper
10-04-2015, 06:13 AM
Keep it classy, Swiper.

God, what a negative witch.

Go ride a broom.

You're an idiot and should be banned. STFU and go away with your stupid posts.

Fixxxer
10-04-2015, 07:04 AM
You're an idiot and should be banned. STFU and go away with your stupid posts.

WTF do you think you are buddy? Really, I come here to read about the Bills and I all I see is people ripping each other throats, it's no wonder it's hard to find quality posts no more here.

Grow the **** up.

YardRat
10-04-2015, 07:05 AM
Settle down and play nice fellas, not every conversation has to devolve into a name-calling pissing match.

swiper
10-04-2015, 07:17 AM
WTF do you think you are buddy? Really, I come here to read about the Bills and I all I see is people ripping each other throats, it's no wonder it's hard to find quality posts no more here.

Grow the **** up.

I suggest you read some of his posts before you smart off, dumb ass.

Fixxxer
10-04-2015, 07:31 AM
I suggest you read some of his posts before you smart off, dumb ass.

I do read them and I have the ability to ignore them, something a douche like you is incapable of doing, because you think you're too important.

Mike
10-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Don't know that this is much different than what Seattle did with Wilson. And with some of the best QBs getting the ball out in 1.2 seconds I really can't imagine they are going thru progressions. It looks to me simply a function of play design, gameplan and scheme. Nothing specific to Tyrod in particular. Now the super deep drops, the rolling out (especially to his left) and the moving pocket are all done to give a shorter QB a better view of the passing lanes. But again that's as much Wilson as Tyrod.

clearly you have no idea how good Wilson is.

he has been top 10 QB every year with some of worst WR in NFL. This year his online is bottom 5!

He is very accurate, can read defenses & go through his progressions superbly, can create something out of nothing.