PDA

View Full Version : Off-field games are risky business: NFL players can lose millions

Michael82
07-23-2003, 08:27 AM
With a monthlong respite between NFL minicamp and training camp, Renaldo Wynn considered buying his first motorcycle.

But the Washington Redskins defensive end and former Jaguars first-round pick changed his mind after Chicago Bulls star Jay Williams was hospitalized in a motorcycle wreck that may end his NBA career.

"After that situation with Jay Williams, it kind of discouraged me," Wynn said. "I'm from Chicago, and I was down there when it happened. You ride at your own risk."

Indeed, such activities can be detrimental to an NFL player's career. Unlike the NBA and Major League Baseball, NFL teams don't insure players for non-team related injuries, and contracts can be voided if they sustain a career-ending injury outside of football.

"A lot of money is at stake," sports and entertainment insurance agent Dave Ferraro said. "The NFL is more so because it has less guarantees. MORE... (http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/072303/jag_13091803.shtml)

LtBillsFan66
07-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Wow.

Ebenezer
07-23-2003, 08:33 AM
Sucks to be them...so much money, so many worries...:rolleyes:

Maybe they should read a frikkin book...er...nevermind.

Michael82
07-23-2003, 08:39 AM
:lol: