X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFanCupp38
    • Mar 2004

Anyone else missing Jim Swartz D?

This defense is a freaking joke. Basically all the same players from last year except they can't stop anyone. I ain't impressed with a win against a crappy Colts team or a horrendous dolphins organization. What happened to the Defense that completely shut down arguably the best QB in the league in Aaron Rodgers? What happened to our stout run defense? Where are all the sacks from last year? The only thing that has changed is the coaching staff. It's obvious where the blame is for this team. Rex Ryan ain't worth a pile of steaming dog mess. This dude needs to put up or shut up. Btw is Schwartz still available for hire? Unbelievable...
    Jeremy Cupp
  • kingJofNYC
    • Sep 2009

Re: Anyone else missing Jim Swartz D?

Last year under Schwartz we were 9th in the league in Defensive DVOA after week 4. This year, week 3, we were 12th. Lets see where we finish week 4, probably won't be kind since we didn't get enough sacks/turnovers.

Finished 2014 2nd in DVOA on D.

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
      • Mar 2004

Oh yeah the penalties fall squarely on the coaching staff as well. Even with all this talent the book is still out on this team. We haven't beaten a good team yet this year so we could very well be watching an 7-9 or 8-8 team, if that!
      Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
        • Nov 2007

Who knows. Maybe his wife? Ba dum dum Ching!
        I came.
        I saw.
        I conquered.

Comment

• WagonCircler
          Escaped Convict
          • Jul 2002

You know who has a great gig? Dennis Thurman. Regardless of what happens with the Bills Defense, everyone talks about Rex. Thurman pretty much flies under the radar.

Comment

• streetkings01
            • Jul 2006

I think Rex needs to find a happy medium with personel and scheme much like what Pettine did. At times you can blitz when needed but you need to let the front 4 do what they do best and thats get up field and get to the QB. With our front 4 we can rush four and drop 7 into the secondary. On 3rd and 10+ thats when I'd bring those exotic blitzes. I'm not impressed with our defense thus far.
            You can call me streetkings

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

If Qb's are getting rid of the ball under 2 seconds, I think Rex should give Schwartz a call because blitzing means squat .
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Rex's deal has always been blitzing and confusion along the front 7. However, as I said when we hired him, his defenses have looked pretty average in years where he doesn't have a Hall of Famer playing in the defensive secondary. I think he needs to dial it back and drop more guys to let our front 4 do their thing. When he blitzes over and over it just encourages QBs to throw fast to neutralize the pass rush.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                  • Jul 2002

I'm worried because the Bills D has to face multiple Super Bowl QBs every other game this season. Wait-no they don't. The schedule will take care of the problem. When you quote stats one year to the next after 3-4 games without taking into account who the opponents were, those stats are meaningless.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

Hard to get off the field when you refuse to let them. Seemed every time we have a stop there's a penalty.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                      Rex's deal has always been blitzing and confusion along the front 7. However, as I said when we hired him, his defenses have looked pretty average in years where he doesn't have a Hall of Famer playing in the defensive secondary. I think he needs to dial it back and drop more guys to let our front 4 do their thing. When he blitzes over and over it just encourages QBs to throw fast to neutralize the pass rush.
                      Yep - I've watched his style of crowding of the DL for years, blitz or not. I guess he thinks that disguising a potential blitz is more important than putting players in position to react and respond to opponents' short and mid passing game. Positioning your LBs and perhaps safeties consistently close to the LOS strikes me as dumb in this day and age.

Especially - as it seems to me - that the quick out pass has gained favor this season.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

Defense gave us a fighting change to re-enter the game yesterday, with several stops in the second half (minus the 51-yd TD). Don't get what the complaining is about.

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                          • Apr 2005

Seems I recall an outstanding defense carrying their defensive coordinator off on their shoulders last year. If anything Shwartz had the d's respect and never needed to make excuses or apologises. Do I miss him ? Yeah. Rex still has to prove he's some kind of wizard . I haven't seen him kick ass on any of the top teir teams yet. Hell Marrone embarrassed his ass last yr.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                            Defense gave us a fighting change to re-enter the game yesterday, with several stops in the second half (minus the 51-yd TD). Don't get what the complaining is about.
                            I agree with you, the sacks aren't there but the defense is still playing as well as it did most of last year. Brady's and Eli's stats look nice but I think our D has played pretty well considering we're starting a 2nd Round rookie at CB and Corey Graham is playing out of position (I prefer him as a depth CB) and we're missing our best S (Aaron Williams). They've also been hurt with the offense turning the ball over and giving them a short field to play with on two occasions and lead to Patriot/Giants TDs. That said Kyle Williams has disappeared as thought he would as he doesn't really fit the 3-4/hybrid defense we're playing.

Comment

• Ed
                              Dude
                              • Sep 2002

You guys are forgetting that our D really wasn't all that great during the first 4 weeks last year. It got better and better, and they were outstanding by December, but it took time.

Comment

Working...
                              X