PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with being the 'Bully'

Mike
10-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Call it a self fulfilling prophecy, but the Bills are quickly earning the reputation of being the dumb, emotional, reckless, classless bully.

This sort of person/team - the villain- is universally hated. This was the case with the 70's Raiders, 80's Hurricanes, 90's Pistons, etc except the Bills aren't nearly as good.

Historically, teams that became the 'Bully' and took on the villain role did it as a response to being misstreated and overcoming adversity. These teams were championship caliber that were almost at the mountain top while no one gave them respect and as a result, they took on a 'us vs the world win at any cost approach'. This is not the case for the Bills.

Unfortunately, the Bills are taking on the villain role and will be hated by the opposition & the refs and Won't Get the Benefit of the Doubt.

>>> When it doubt the Refs will penalize the Bills...
>>>When it doubt, the Refs won't penalize their opponents
>>> this will be too much to overcome as the season progresses

In the end, the Bills are barely good enough to win on their own, why make it more difficult on yourself?

MillsapsBillsFan
10-05-2015, 10:39 AM
The thing is now its known. By the league, by the refs. Its going to come back to bite us.

https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN/status/650789055987224576

Tom Coughlin told his players before Sunday's game that the Bills would beat themselves with penalties. They committed 17 for 135 yards.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-05-2015, 11:41 AM
The problem with being a bully is that we are not actually being a bully. While no penalties are "good" there are some penalties that are better then others. Cratering a wideout coming over the middle isn't a good penalty, but it might affect their playcalling later on. Holding a DE who would otherwise have a run at your QB isn't good, but it can be better then a strip-sack.

OTOH we are taking moronic penalties that do nothing at all. Formation penalties? Taunting calls? Lining up over the center? This is dumb ****.

swiper
10-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Echoing what wagoncircler has been saying...

Ryan wants bullies. Whaley wants athletes.

Winning teams in the NFL get football players instead.

I want to see less fighters and athletes and more football players.

sdbillsfan2
10-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Don't you have to beat on someone before your considered a bully ? I'd say Rex got his coaching ass handed to him by Belicick and an old man from New Jersey. The other 2 are either on shakey ground or already gone. I see loose cannons not bullies.

stuckincincy
10-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Don't you have to beat on someone before your considered a bully ? I'd say Rex got his coaching ass handed to him by Belicick and an old man from New Jersey. The other 2 are either on shakey ground or already gone. I see loose cannons not bullies.

Well put. 3 petulant personal fouls committed in the waning moments of a lost game have raised eyebrows, both from refs and other clubs. I suspect that BUF players will be given no quarter from now on.

Forward_Lateral
10-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Bullies don't get embarrassed 2 games in a row on their own turf.