PDA

View Full Version : Nice guys finish last?

Oaf
10-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Interesting post from another board (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/10/5/9453223/coughlin-told-giants-bills-would-beat-themselves-with-penalties-per).

"Some penalty perspective:

In 2013 and 2014 – The Seattle Seahawks led the league in penalties.

In 2014 – The Bill ranked 2nd while the Jets finished 17th (dare I say this is a players issue?)

2013 – Jets finished 10th
2012 – Jets finished 29th
2011 – Jets finished 15th
2010 – Jets finished 9th
2009 – Jets finished 22nd

Hardly would say Rex teams have an issue with penalties. Ryan’s reputation as an undisciplined coach is B.S. and media created. Facts just don’t support it."

OpIv37
10-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Penalties are only one metric for measuring a lack of discipline. Mistakes on the field, players not keeping their heads in the game, off the field issues, players running their mouths to the media..... All of that is lack of discipline too.

The Jets were a circus when Ryan was there. Out of his 5 years, his team had one really bad year, one bad year, and three average years. that's not enough to earn the label of "undisciplined," but it is bad enough to support that label when taken into context with everything else.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-05-2015, 05:43 PM
Its not that the team is getting penalties thats the true issue. The problem is the type of penalties and the timing of them.

Its okay to get penalties, but needless personal fouls (which we have more than double over the rest of the league) and penalties on 3rd down for the defense or penalties that take away touchdowns, which we had 2 of yesterday.

So the overall penalty yardage and penalty numbers can't truly tell you the whole story

Meathead
10-05-2015, 06:15 PM
um mcflys, the seahags were the most penalized the last few seasons bc their dbs intentionally pushed around the wrs knowing that the refs wouldnt call everything. the nfl came down on them and actually changed the enforcement standards so that they couldnt do that anymore. the cheatriots essentially do the same thing on offense with their picks and rub plays

the bills on the other hand get their penalties by being big mouthed dumbasses who shoot themselves in the dick with no benefit. so really its two completely different things

BuffaloRedleg
10-05-2015, 06:35 PM
I was thinking this today as to whether or not those are just raw penalties or penalties accepted. The Patriots were like #2 last year in penalties, so something is fishy.

Maybe people accept a lot more penalties against good teams.

Holding calls against the Pats negate a TD to Gronk, while holding calls against the Dolphins are on failed plays where you don't accept them.

I think the analysis is flawed, but I don't have the data to totally support it.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?view=total&year=2014

Try here, although on first look I mean of course Seattle and NE had the most penalties they played 19 damn games.....

BuffaloRedleg
10-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Only 2 of the top 10 teams in Penalties Per Game made the playoffs, New England and Seattle. PPG is a better indicator rather than just raw penalties accepted. Still can't find anything on penalties called.

BillsImpossible
10-05-2015, 06:44 PM
I think this means the Bills are fighting for the top 2 positions in Penalties Per Game.

Meathead
10-05-2015, 07:08 PM
i just told you exactly why those two teams have the most penalties - they do it on purpose to gain a strategic advantage

theres really NOTHING good about the penalties the bills are taking. its like comparing apples to colostomy bag surgery

Mace
10-05-2015, 07:20 PM
I was thinking this today as to whether or not those are just raw penalties or penalties accepted. The Patriots were like #2 last year in penalties, so something is fishy.

Maybe people accept a lot more penalties against good teams.

Holding calls against the Pats negate a TD to Gronk, while holding calls against the Dolphins are on failed plays where you don't accept them.

I think the analysis is flawed, but I don't have the data to totally support it.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?view=total&year=2014

Try here, although on first look I mean of course Seattle and NE had the most penalties they played 19 damn games.....

Well you can dig into it by team there, like for the Pats in 2014, the most of any penalty they has was false starts (24), offensive holding (23), defensive holding (17), defensive pass interference (11) and no others in double figures. All those false starts cost them 117 yards total. They had a grand total of 7 unnecessary roughness and 1 personal foul that cost them a total of 120 yards for 19 games.

Seattle had 9 unnecessary roughness, and 2 personal fouls....for 19 games, costing them 138 yards total on the year. Most of their penalties were also false starts.

The Bills in 2015, have 4 personal fouls, 4 unnecessary roughness which cost them 118 yards already, after only 4 games.

Facts absolutely do support this team having an issue with penalties by the type of them and the cost. 24 false starts cost you 117 yards in 19 games. 4 pf's and 4 roughness cost you 118 after 4 games. Speaks for itself.

chris66
10-07-2015, 04:30 PM
the circus left nyc and now resides in wny. jets are 3-1 and you dont hear any yapping out of that club at all.