PDA

View Full Version : Third down playcalling

OpIv37
10-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Atrocious.

The Giants weren't giving up any YAC all day, yet Roman consistantly called plays short of the sticks and counted on his guys to make plays that never happened. Some were probably check downs but some looked designed.

We also went deep on third down too often. This is the kind of team that needs to stretch the field and get a big play so I'm not opposed to the shots. I just don't think 3rd and 6 from our own 25 is the best time to go for a 40 yard bomb.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-05-2015, 06:20 PM
I was saying the same thing. I love the offense taking shots, but you do that on third down not second.

When its second and medium you take shots. When its third and medium you get a damn first down.

ICRockets
10-05-2015, 08:41 PM
"Our playcalling was terrible! We need to be more predictable when we only have one play to continue the drive!"

YardRat
10-06-2015, 05:00 AM
Without watching the game again, I'm not sure if the bigger issue was the play-calling or the decisions made by the QB.

Topas
10-06-2015, 06:11 AM
I think as a fan we know too few things to really assess playcalling. How often, a deep pass might be a call for a slant or a short crossing route that the defense jumps and the QB only then goes deep. We see the actual pass, but we dont know about the actual call.
And even for the plays that the QB only looks at the deep route, it might be true that he only does this after reading the defense pre-snap and seeing a single high safety or something like that.
And it cannot be true that Roman is a genius one week and an idiot the other week. And that twice in a row :D
I think our problem is that the Head coach does not hold his players accountable. And I hope that Pegula steps in the locker room, that he will not accept penalties (especially personal fouls) and that he will not accept whining after the games. At least I would do this, if I were the owner. Somebody has to hold these little kids accountable.

stuckincincy
10-06-2015, 06:52 AM
I think as a fan we know too few things to really assess playcalling. How often, a deep pass might be a call for a slant or a short crossing route that the defense jumps and the QB only then goes deep. We see the actual pass, but we dont know about the actual call.
And even for the plays that the QB only looks at the deep route, it might be true that he only does this after reading the defense pre-snap and seeing a single high safety or something like that.
And it cannot be true that Roman is a genius one week and an idiot the other week. And that twice in a row :D
I think our problem is that the Head coach does not hold his players accountable. And I hope that Pegula steps in the locker room, that he will not accept penalties (especially personal fouls) and that he will not accept whining after the games. At least I would do this, if I were the owner. Somebody has to hold these little kids accountable.

Keep yer logic to yerself! :kid:

MillsapsBillsFan
10-06-2015, 07:07 AM
I wasn't saying that roman is an idiot. Im still a fan of his play calling as a whole. I agree that its hard to criticize them when you don't really know whats called.

I just don't like seeing long bombs when we can't even get the first down to begin with. This offense needs to move the ball more consistently and not rely on the long ball

Forward_Lateral
10-06-2015, 09:03 AM
The playcalling on the drive they got stopped on 4th and goal was atrocious. The play to Woods would've been a TD if Tyrod had have thrown it right away. He'll learn.

Give the Giants some credit, they did play pretty darn good D on Sunday.

OpIv37
10-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Even if Taylor checked out of the play to go long on third down, it still comes down to coaching. The coaches need to teach him not to attempt low percentage throws on third and 6 from our own 24 when we are struggling just to get a first down.

Bill Cody
10-06-2015, 10:07 AM
It's a combination of the plays and the decisions by the QB. We never adjusted to the fact that the Giants were tackling well. That included in particular around the goal line. We kept needing 4 yards and throwing a 2 yard pass.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Wasn't the complaint after the New England loss that all you needed to do was sit on short throws, keep Taylor from running, and make him beat you deep? That's exactly what he attempted to do. Going deep is indeed difficult, but we spent a lot of money on downfield threats like Clay and Harvin this offseason so that they could beat 1v1 coverage. Forcing a ball into a tight window to Woods or 4th and 1 Hogan is a risk of its own.

Taylor isn't ready to run a precision-passing offense IMO.

elltrain22
10-06-2015, 11:52 AM
I thought, as a whole, the playcalling sucked!

ICRockets
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Even if Taylor checked out of the play to go long on third down, it still comes down to coaching. The coaches need to teach him not to attempt low percentage throws on third and 6 from our own 24 when we are struggling just to get a first down.

Yeah, big plays to attempt to swing the momentum are SO dumb when we're stagnating. Please kill yourself.

trapezeus
10-06-2015, 04:05 PM

but if he does that routinely and we are getting short of the sticks, everyone criticizes that we didn't throw longer.

i just don't think it was as bad as everyone feels. if they want to self destruct every game, then they are going to have these games. if they want to clean up 30% of those mistakes, they could have won that game. and they have the talent to to handle some injuries. it's gut check time in the locker room. but it doesn't require a whole new offense or scrap their defensive game plans.