PDA

View Full Version : Johnson in Texans' fold: Top pick's 6-year deal worth almost $39 million

Michael82
07-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Andre Johnson and his uncle kept their word -- with plenty of time to spare.

After promising he would not hold out, Johnson, the Texans' first-round draft pick, agreed Tuesday to a six-year contract worth almost $39 million that ensures the wide receiver will be present when players report for training camp on Friday.

"I've seen some of my former teammates in college not make it to camp on time, and I didn't want to follow suit like those guys," Johnson said. "If you're not in camp on time, you tend to miss out on a lot. I didn't want to miss out on anything."

Johnson, the third overall selection out of Miami, will receive a $13.51 million signing bonus. There are clauses that will allow him to significantly raise his pay over the last three years of the contract if he meets certain individual or team incentives.

The contract, which general manager Charley Casserly called "fair for both sides," is structured like the six-year, $36.5 million deal quarterback Joey Harrington, the No. 3 pick last year, signed with the Detroit Lions. MORE... (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/fb/texans/2007345)