PDA

View Full Version : Cundiff signed. Gay released

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Discuss

MikeInRoch
10-07-2015, 07:09 AM
I'm confused. I think there has to be another move coming. I'd have thought if they would have cut Carpenter, not Gay.

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Agree conpletely. Gay has done his job. Carpenter is the one who has been iffy..

MillsapsBillsFan
10-07-2015, 07:19 AM
I thought that they were kind of stashing Gay to become the full time kicker later on. Hes been kicking the ball through the endzone (which is all hes been asked to do), so you cut him and sign a 35 year old? Doesnt make sense that they cut the kicker whos been doing his job over carpenter who hasnt

OpIv37
10-07-2015, 07:24 AM
They got a roster exemption to keep IK practice eligible but he can't play until they clear a roster space. Expect Carpenter gone to make room for him.

Also, how did we make room for Boom?

MillsapsBillsFan
10-07-2015, 07:27 AM
They got a roster exemption to keep IK practice eligible but he can't play until they clear a roster space. Expect Carpenter gone to make room for him.

Also, how did we make room for Boom?

We put MarQueis Gray on the IR. He broke some bone (wrist/forearm maybe?) and he's getting surgery today

streetkings01
10-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Carpenter is gone......the writing is def on the wall.

Mahdi
10-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Carpenter I think will be given the chance this week to keep his job. Having Cundiff gives the Bills a second guy who can be a place-kicker while also being able to get touchbacks.

Skooby
10-07-2015, 07:41 AM
Dan's in the pan, just about to be fried.

GingerP
10-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Carpenter is on the injury report, so it seems like they wanted another kicker to make FG and PAT, in case Carpenter can't kick.

Releasing Gay means they don't trust him to do anything but kick off, and they didn't want to release Carpenter to bring in a backup.

kingJofNYC
10-07-2015, 08:00 AM
How awful is Gay as a place kicker? He must really terrible.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-07-2015, 08:13 AM
How awful is Gay as a place kicker? He must really terrible.

He's really not though. He made a 50+ yarder with the wind in his face against me in college, and he was the best kicker in our conference for a few years. Not sure how that doesnt translate to the NFL, maybe he's just not accurate enough.

Mr. Miyagi
10-07-2015, 08:22 AM
It's so strange that Carpenter's wife was just on John Murphy Show talking about hosting this annual community event, and next thing you know they may be out of the job already.

Cruel world.

Victor7
10-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Cundiff is plan B in case DC has another **** week.

This is it for Carpenter. If he ****s the bed vs the Titans he's gonna get the axe.

Lets hope the Cundiff signing lights a fire under his ass and he goes back to his pre 2015 form.

As for Gay its a tough situation. He sure did his job well. But roster spots are limited and having a guy that only kicks off is a luxury.

Thigpen also got cut. Another guy that does ONE thing. I remember saying right after the Fred cut that I couldn't understand why those 2 dudes made the team above Fred. ****ing Whaley is so inept that it took 2 injuries to our RB's and DC struggling for him to realize this.

Albany,n.y.
10-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Carpenter is on the injury report, so it seems like they wanted another kicker to make FG and PAT, in case Carpenter can't kick.

Releasing Gay means they don't trust him to do anything but kick off, and they didn't want to release Carpenter to bring in a backup.

This is the only rational explanation-Carpenter is not gone. If he doesn't get better he'll go on IR. Cundiff is so bad that all the teams who have cut their kickers in recent weeks didn't sign him. Relax-Carpenter's phone would be ringing off the hook if the Bills were stupid enough to release him-give the team more credit than that.

Thigpen deserved to get cut after fair catching inside the 10 at least 3 times.

Joe Fo Sho
10-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Kicker by committee, I like it.

Meathead
10-07-2015, 09:20 AM
two of the three major fups that blew that game last week got served

jerry is just lucky his black ass is so good rushing the passer

casdhf
10-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Gay splits the uprights on every kickoff. Why are they yanking him around like this?

sdbillsfan2
10-07-2015, 09:39 AM
I lay this move at the GMs feet. I can see not being confident in DC but really.Cundiff? Im confused ! All these trades , confusing picks and I see don't see a team much better then 8-8.

Bill Cody
10-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Well on the positive at least we won't be wasting 2 spots on kickers anymore assuming we're going to release Carpenter. On the negative this is Billy Cundiff's 14th ****ing team, is that a record?

The King
10-07-2015, 10:14 AM
I'd be very concerned about Cundiff's leg in November/December. Bills also signed Denarius Moore.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2015, 11:14 AM
I'd be very concerned about Cundiff's leg in November/December. Bills also signed Denarius Moore.

Why concerned?

He's kicked in Cleveland and Baltimore.

So weather shouldn't be an issue as he should be used to kicking in poor weather conditions.

WagonCircler
10-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Why concerned?

So weather shouldn't be an issue as he should be used to kicking in poor weather conditions.

He's also not in those places anymore. If he was kicking well, maybe he wouldn't be available.

I still like the move. I think Rex finally gets that it's an injury problem with Carpenter, and since Cundiff can kickoff and kick FGs reasonably well, he's a good option in case Carpenter's problems continue.

Plus, there's really very little risk that anyone will sign Gay, if Cundiff doesn't work out.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2015, 11:40 AM
He's also not in those places anymore. If he was kicking well, maybe he wouldn't be available.

I still like the move. I think Rex finally gets that it's an injury problem with Carpenter, and since Cundiff can kickoff and kick FGs reasonably well, he's a good option in case Carpenter's problems continue.

Plus, there's really very little risk that anyone will sign Gay, if Cundiff doesn't work out.

If Carpenter was originally kicking well, he wouldn't be here.

Life of a kicker in the NFL.

Still wouldn't worry about Cundiff kicking in Nov and Dec.

The King
10-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Why concerned?

And then let go by both teams.

Forward_Lateral
10-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Cundiff sucks.

Mace
10-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Cundiff is a terrible placekicker, supposedly better at kickoffs than Gay I read somewhere.

If they replace Carpenter with Cundiff, it's flat out foolish.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Cundiff is a terrible placekicker, supposedly better at kickoffs than Gay I read somewhere.

If they replace Carpenter with Cundiff, it's flat out foolish.

I dont know about better at kickoffs. Im not sure how you would measure that. Looking at stats Gay has a higher percentage of touchbacks, a longer average kick, and fewer average returns (not really all him, but eh). This move makes little sense if they brought him in to challenge carpenter, and even less sense if they brought him in just do kickoffs.

Guess its just to have another leg if something goes wrong, though we already had that. In the long scheme of things its a pretty inconsequential move, but it doesnt really make sense right now.

We can call for Carpenters head all we want, but the facts are Carpenter is a 84% career kicker whos struggling right now and Cundiff is a 76% career kicker who has 0 clutch abilities. We can get rid of Carpenter, but theres nothing better out there and thats something we should recognize

trapezeus
10-07-2015, 01:39 PM
carpenter got cut before for being inconsistent and then he was money until now.

we also know he's injured. i think the bills are aware of carpenter's injury and think he may be able to kick through it. but if he has another bad outing, they may season end IR him, and ride with cundiff.

they have a lot of money in carpenter. i'd like to see him come around.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2015, 02:05 PM
And then let go by both teams.

Adam Vinatieri was let go by the Pats, would you worry about him kicking in December?

Not comparing Cundiff and Vinatieri, but it's the nature of the business as far as kickers go...they struggle and end up replaced by someone else.

Morten Andersen played for 6 different teams, Gary Anderson played for 5 different teams. Mark Moseley, the only kicker to ever win NFL MVP, played for 4 different teams. Hell Jan Stenerud, the only kicker in the HOF, played for 3 different teams.

WagonCircler
10-07-2015, 02:45 PM
If Carpenter was originally kicking well, he wouldn't be here.

Life of a kicker in the NFL.

Still wouldn't worry about Cundiff kicking in Nov and Dec.

Carpenter's struggles have absolutely nothing to do with Cundiff's ability or lack thereof to kick in November and December. Candid is a castoff, and a middler at best, or he wouldn't be available.

The King
10-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Adam Vinatieri was let go by the Pats, would you worry about him kicking in December?

Not comparing Cundiff and Vinatieri, but it's the nature of the business as far as kickers go...they struggle and end up replaced by someone else.

Morten Andersen played for 6 different teams, Gary Anderson played for 5 different teams. Mark Moseley, the only kicker to ever win NFL MVP, played for 4 different teams. Hell Jan Stenerud, the only kicker in the HOF, played for 3 different teams.

Because they didn't want to pay him. Not because he's ****ty. Both Anderson's came back to replace injured kickers or lousy kickers as well.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Because they didn't want to pay him. Not because he's ****ty. Both Anderson's came back to replace injured kickers or lousy kickers as well.

So did the Dolphins let go of Carpenter because they didn't want to pay him or because he's ****ty?

Mr. Pink
10-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Carpenter's struggles have absolutely nothing to do with Cundiff's ability or lack thereof to kick in November and December. Candid is a castoff, and a middler at best, or he wouldn't be available.

Cundiff was 9 for 12 in 2013 in Nov and Dec...two misses from 50+ 10 for 15 last year in those two months, one miss from 50+ So if you wanna claim Cundiff had a bad year last year, you're right, but to just say he can't kick in winter is ludicrous. It's like taking Carpenters last season in Miami and seeing he was 10 for 14 in September and October and saying he can't kick in Fall.

Almost all kickers are middlers, including Carpenter.

Night Train
10-07-2015, 03:58 PM
As speculated, Cundiff can kick FG's if Carpenter is hurt.

Gay couldn't kick it straight at all on FG's. He was horrible at camp.

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2015, 04:18 PM
As speculated, Cundiff can kick FG's if Carpenter is hurt.

Gay couldn't kick it straight at all on FG's. He was horrible at camp.

This is the best explanation. They probably realize he needs to rest to get back to being his former self, so if he misses again, they put in cundiff and let him heal up.

Mr. Cynical
10-07-2015, 04:21 PM

Unless you draft one in the first round. ;) Hard to believe Janikowski is still going strong at 37. Not that his kicking has made them a playoff team though....

Mr. Pink
10-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Unless you draft one in the first round. ;) Hard to believe Janikowski is still going strong at 37. Not that his kicking has made them a playoff team though....

I'm more impressed that he's been on the Raiders his entire career than the fact he got picked in the first round to be honest.

Mace
10-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Cundiff was 9 for 12 in 2013 in Nov and Dec...two misses from 50+ 10 for 15 last year in those two months, one miss from 50+ So if you wanna claim Cundiff had a bad year last year, you're right, but to just say he can't kick in winter is ludicrous. It's like taking Carpenters last season in Miami and seeing he was 10 for 14 in September and October and saying he can't kick in Fall.

Cundiff is terrible. Career, he's only accurate under 30 yards. Under 30. From anything 30 or more, he's 114 of 154 (74%). So you don't think he's bedeviled by long kicks, even from 30-39 yards he's 62 of 83 (74.6%).

To refine the point, it's not that Cundiff can't kick in winter, it's that he can't kick with any reliability whatever. He misses short, he misses long, he misses in the clutch, he misses in garbage time.

He kicked a good extra point always. Except now they moved it into his 74% 30-39 yard range.

They'd be way better off letting Carpenter have a bad year then replacing him with Cundiff. Would be a terrible decision.

Shayne Graham would be smarter to get than Cundiff, and maybe he won't be available by the time they dump Cundiff after a few games. And make no mistake, Cundiff will not last. He's just not any good.

swiper
10-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Other teams can do it with one kicker. Only OBD handles it with 2 roster spots.

Albany,n.y.
10-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Cundiff is terrible. Career, he's only accurate under 30 yards. Under 30. From anything 30 or more, he's 114 of 154 (74%). So you don't think he's bedeviled by long kicks, even from 30-39 yards he's 62 of 83 (74.6%).

To refine the point, it's not that Cundiff can't kick in winter, it's that he can't kick with any reliability whatever. He misses short, he misses long, he misses in the clutch, he misses in garbage time.

He kicked a good extra point always. Except now they moved it into his 74% 30-39 yard range.

They'd be way better off letting Carpenter have a bad year then replacing him with Cundiff. Would be a terrible decision.

Shayne Graham would be smarter to get than Cundiff, and maybe he won't be available by the time they dump Cundiff after a few games. And make no mistake, Cundiff will not last. He's just not any good.

Totally agree on all the Cundiff stuff. We've been through the bad Graham early in his career. I remember seeing him kick the worst field goal attempt I've ever seen at RWS. After we cut Graham, I was shocked he lasted as long as he did in the NFL. The last thing we need is to bookend his career as one of the worst Bills kickers in history.

gebobs
10-08-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm confused. I think there has to be another move coming. I'd have thought if they would have cut Carpenter, not Gay.

Gay was next to useless. He was brought in to do one thing: touchbacks. And he wasn't very good at it. Half of his kicks were returned.

Saratoga Slim
10-08-2015, 10:28 AM
This is the best explanation. They probably realize he needs to rest to get back to being his former self, so if he misses again, they put in cundiff and let him heal up.

Exactly. The thing that makes the most sense is that Carpenter is injured, and they want to have another FG option to use in case his injury persists. But they don't want to release him, as they know when healthy he's better than anyone else that's out there/

Mr. Pink
10-08-2015, 11:56 AM

Cundiff isn't terrible, and he isn't great either.

He's an average middle of the pack kicker, like the majority of kickers in the NFL.

Dr. Lecter
10-08-2015, 12:05 PM
Gay was next to useless. He was brought in to do one thing: touchbacks. And he wasn't very good at it. Half of his kicks were returned.
Half?

14 of 23 (61%) were TBs and at least one of the 9 (the onside kick) was intentionally not kicked through the EZ.

gebobs
10-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Half?

14 of 23 (61%) were TBs and at least one of the 9 (the onside kick) was intentionally not kicked through the EZ.

Jesus, really? You're calling me out on a few lousy percent? The guy is on the payroll for one reason and one reason alone. 61%, bottom half of the league, does not cut it.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Jesus, really? You're calling me out on a few lousy percent? The guy is on the payroll for one reason and one reason alone. 61%, bottom half of the league, does not cut it.

Well if youre not content with 61%, you'll really love Cundiff whos kicking them at 37%. What an upgrade

gebobs
10-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Well if youre not content with 61%, you'll really love Cundiff whos kicking them at 37%. What an upgrade

I'm not a fan of having two kickers at all. I didn't like it 25 years ago and I don't like it any better now.

People were wondering why Gay was released. He was released because he sucks. Now if the Bills signed someone even worse, then that's a whole nutha thing. Gay ass name, Billy Cundiff.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-08-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm not a fan of having two kickers at all. I didn't like it in 1991 and I don't like it any better now.

People were wondering why Gay was released. He was released because he sucks. Now if the Bills signed someone even worse, then that's a whole nutha thing. Gay ass name, Billy Cundiff.

They did sign someone worse. Thats why people were wondering. Im not a huge fan of two kickers, but if youre going to do it dont downgrade your kicking staff in the middle of the season

gebobs
10-08-2015, 12:31 PM
They did sign someone worse. Thats why people were wondering. Im not a huge fan of two kickers, but if youre going to do it dont downgrade your kicking staff in the middle of the season

Rex Ryan is an idiot. What more do we need to see that?

gebobs
10-08-2015, 12:36 PM

BTW...where did you get that? Since 2011, he's about the same as Gay, 143/233, 61%.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-08-2015, 01:00 PM
BTW...where did you get that? Since 2011, he's about the same as Gay, 143/233, 61%.

Looked at career stats for both. http://www.nfl.com/player/billycundiff/2504941/careerstats

career hes 194/521, 37%

gebobs
10-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Looked at career stats for both. http://www.nfl.com/player/billycundiff/2504941/careerstats

career hes 194/521, 37%

Career isn't relevant since they were kicking from the 30 before '11.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Career isn't relevant since they were kicking from the 30 before '11.

Wasnt taking that into account. My fault.

jimmifli
10-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Gay and Thigpen didn't meet Rex's penalty quota. Lets hope Cundiff does a better job with the unnecessary roughness flags.

Mace
10-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Cundiff isn't terrible, and he isn't great either.

He's an average middle of the pack kicker, like the majority of kickers in the NFL.

Well, the thing is though, most middle of the pack guys are middle of the pack from 40 and up. Cundiff has the career 74% starting at 30-39 yards over his years. That clutch fg he missed was from 32. Extra points are still now from 33.

Objectively, a placekicker, any kicker, who you can count on to only make 74% of your extra points is below average.