X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Future Thinking of A NFL Without Kickers, Punters, or Special Teams

It would be a much more exciting game to watch.

It's all about the eyeballs.

People tend to go to the bathroom, check their phones, or go for a smoke break when the field goal or punting units come on the field.

Place the ball on the 20 yard line, blow the whistle and start the game.

Force teams to play all 4 downs. The bathroom, phone, and smoke can wait.

That would be fun to watch, would it not?

Scoring would go bananas.

The game would be all about the players that play most of the game instead of the players that only play 2 minutes out of every game at most.

I heard Rex Ryan talking about the Bills kicking situation this evening and couldn't help but notice how much he hates kickers. He's not a fan if you couldn't already tell by now.

Can you blame him?

How can a game that is played by incredible athletes be determined by a guy who probably would get killed on the field of battle if he were to ever play a series of downs on offense or defense?

"Special Teams," are full of players that mostly never see the field for 58 minutes.

They're not special. They're the players that aren't good enough to play.

The NFL wants to eliminate kickoffs in the near future mainly due to concussion concerns.

It would be a step in the right direction for the players and the product itself.

The game should be decided by the players who have fought and battled all season long on the gridiron.

NFL games should not be decided by a guy that kicks a ball for a living.

That being said, I hope Dan Carpenter hits a 51 yard field goal to win it against the Titans this Sunday.

Go Bills ;-)
  • kscdogbillsfan1221
    • Nov 2007

Re: Future Thinking of A NFL Without Kickers, Punters, or Special Teams

i'm really starting to realize that you and mitch are the same person
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I've been in favor of marijuana legalization in the recent past. Now I'm not so sure.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Oaf
        Do you read what you write?
        • Jun 2007

We probably would've won a SB with those rules, I guess.

You don't make the O go for 4th down, either. They elect to "flip" and the other team gets the ball at the 20.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          Legendary Zoner
          • May 2009

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
          It would be a much more exciting game to watch.

It's all about the eyeballs.

People tend to go to the bathroom, check their phones, or go for a smoke break when the field goal or punting units come on the field.

Place the ball on the 20 yard line, blow the whistle and start the game.

Force teams to play all 4 downs. The bathroom, phone, and smoke can wait.

That would be fun to watch, would it not?

Scoring would go bananas.

The game would be all about the players that play most of the game instead of the players that only play 2 minutes out of every game at most.

I heard Rex Ryan talking about the Bills kicking situation this evening and couldn't help but notice how much he hates kickers. He's not a fan if you couldn't already tell by now.

Can you blame him?

How can a game that is played by incredible athletes be determined by a guy who probably would get killed on the field of battle if he were to ever play a series of downs on offense or defense?

"Special Teams," are full of players that mostly never see the field for 58 minutes.

They're not special. They're the players that aren't good enough to play.

The NFL wants to eliminate kickoffs in the near future mainly due to concussion concerns.

It would be a step in the right direction for the players and the product itself.

The game should be decided by the players who have fought and battled all season long on the gridiron.

NFL games should not be decided by a guy that kicks a ball for a living.

That being said, I hope Dan Carpenter hits a 51 yard field goal to win it against the Titans this Sunday.

Go Bills ;-)
          Stop posting

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            I've been in favor of marijuana legalization in the recent past. Now I'm not so sure.
            I don't think it's green he's smoking. I think it's more of a white-gray-ice color

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

If the Titan's game comes down to a last-second field goal we're a lot worse off than I thought.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Get help.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

I'd rather play without referees....

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

I think kickers get more crap then they deserve, but I am all for reducing the amount of kicking to speed up the game. I'd simply abandon the extra point entirely. A TD gets you 7 points automatically, or you can risk the free point to go for 2.

Also, people should recognize that punting on 4th and short in opponent's territory is horrendous strategy that also makes you look like a sissy.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                      Stop posting
                      Sorry BertSquirtinator. Just trying to get my mind off of things we can't control like zebras with the yellow fever Hershey squirts, the Obamanation, and the William McKinley curse.

Pack a pipe and lighten up.

I don't think it is a pipe dream to say that within the next 5 years, the NFL is going to eliminate kickoffs.

That's probably going to happen sooner than we think, and it will be a gigantic slippery slope for kickers, special teams players, and special teams coaches.

By eliminating the kickoff, how many players on the roster become irrelevant?

If the NFL is planning to eliminate kickoffs in the near future, punting comes next because it is essentially the same thing.

With kickoffs and punting eliminated from the game for legitimate safety concerns, the kicker remains.

It doesn't take a $10 million study to figure out that fans either turn the channel, or do something else other than watching the boobtube when teams kick a field goal or punt.

Field goals and punts are a damn good reason to take a leak, pack a pipe, step outside for a smoke, or go bang your wife.

Comment

Working...
                      X