X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Is Tyrod Taylor improving game by game?

This is a legit question. Game 1 to Game 5.

To me one thing is clear: Tyrod is NOT a pocket passer. The best game he had, the Dolphin game, it was a moving pocket that had him throw on the run. Whenever ha stayed in the pocket like a traditional QB, there was a long stretch of time where the offense went no where - in fact, down right ugly most of the time. He will, however, hit some big throws from the pocket, like yesterday to Hogan, NE game to Watkins, season openner to Harvin, etc.

Overall, I think he has the makeup of a good game manager under the assumption that the running game is effective. I view his increased scrambling in recent games as an extension of the team's running game, and as a compensation for his inability in the short passing game (very little middle of the field passes due to his height, not very accurate to the left flank). He could be a Doug Flutie if he plays enough and improves defense reading skills.

I feel the Bills need to encourage him to use his leg more, even though he may not make it through the season that way. That is simply the best part of his game. The Bills need to win now, use his best asset as much as possible.

Fix the running game when Karlos and McCoy come back; somewhere they need to find a balance of running vs taking deep shots (where Tyrod is capable) to keep defense honest. Incorporate more moving pocket, especially against 4-3 D. I feel it is realistic they can be effective, unlike the consecutive 3 and outs stretch they had in last two games -- clearly not attainable for this team to be anywhere successful.
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Is Tyrod Taylor improving game by game?

I think it's hard to get a true feel of what Roman wants to do. Shady has been hurt all year, Sammy too. We are playing street FA and giving them significant carries ... Goodwin/Hogan were playing a ton yesterday. I would imagine that changes things a little.
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Until he can roll out and consistently hit guys in the 10-15 yard range, he's an athlete winning games. T

That's not a knock on him. He's 5 games into his career as a starter. It's whether he develops that aspect of the game, which is needed. Plus he needs skill players around him who have talent and don't keep missing games.

A work in progress.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
        I think it's hard to get a true feel of what Roman wants to do. Shady has been hurt all year, Sammy too. We are playing street FA and giving them significant carries ... Goodwin/Hogan were playing a ton yesterday. I would imagine that changes things a little.
        Why are we playing street FA's ?? That's right, because I mentioned that we are down multiple people on offense but it's the dumbest post ever. Get a life man and get a grip, the other side of your mouth is calling.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
          He could be a Doug Flutie if he plays enough and improves defense reading skills.
          Let's hope he's better than Flutie.
          "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

He' definitely NOT improving with each game...Aside from a couple of passes he looked pitiful throwing the ball yet again.

He didn't "bail" us out yesterday, it was because of the defense that we didn't lose.
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Topas
              German smartass
              • Feb 2014

I think he does not improve game by game. He improves quarter by quarter. Unfortunately he starts from scratch when a new game begins ...

Comment

• chris66
                • Sep 2006

He is definitely running more. He keeps it's up an he will be out of the league in 2 years.

Comment

• starrymessenger
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                  Until he can roll out and consistently hit guys in the 10-15 yard range, he's an athlete winning games. T

That's not a knock on him. He's 5 games into his career as a starter. It's whether he develops that aspect of the game, which is needed. Plus he needs skill players around him who have talent and don't keep missing games.

A work in progress.
                  I think he can throw on the run already. The problem is that opposing Ds will look to contain him and make him throw from the pocket to beat them. He throws a nice deep ball on outside go routes because he can see it. He has trouble with his vision in the middle of the field. Unless you want him to be limited as a QB he needs to be able to throw accurately from the pocket. He doesn't have to do it all the time and it doesn't have to be the best part of his game, but it has to be part of his skill set. Many routes can only be thrown to from the pocket.
                  He was not sharp throwing the ball yesterday. He missed badly on a number of throws that NFL QBs make and have to make routinely amongst his 17 attempts.
                  He's clearly a dynamic playmaker and therefore potentially a lot more than a game manager. Game managers don't carry teams. He has that big play potential on every snap. But you want him to be more Russell Wilson than a young Mike Vick lite. I think that's why Roman sometimes appears to be forcing a round peg in a square hole. If Taylor can learn to do those things that need work he can be a very good starting QB in this league IMO.

Comment

• Victor7
                    • Jul 2013

I would actually say he's regressing. His 2 good games have come vs the **** Fins who have already fired their coach and defensive coordinator and the not so flashy Colts. NE was average, Giants was miserable and yesterday was miserable too.

Yes he was bad yesterday. The running is not really part of his quarterbacking. We all knew he could run. But this league has long figured out how to stop the running qbs. We need TT to pass the ball. So far he's having trouble with that. In fact he threw one good pass yesterday. Just one. The long Hogan catch. That's it. Even the TD throw was off target and Hogan had to adjust to make the grab

I am very concerned about TT. Better teams are not gonna let us hang around like Tennessee did yesterday.

Comment

• bdutton
                      • Jul 2013

He will not last the season if he keeps getting hit like he did yesterday.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I think he's regressing also, which is unfortunate, because the only way to counter opponents getting a book on you is to improve.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ptd86
                          • Dec 2006

I think Tyrod is playing well above my expectations and looks to be our future QB. He had a rough game yesterday in the first half clearly, but also got zero help from his line and was missing some key pieces especially after Percy got hurt. We were also playing a top 10 passing defense at their place coming off a bye.

I think it's crazy how critical everyone is of Tyrod like we need to have Aaron Rodgers or it's not good enough. Do we really not think he's playing better than EJ or Orton, Cassell can and all the other scrubs they've had in the past? I guess it's fun to just keep complaining after a win, but we aren't going to have a top 5 QB anytime soon..might as well accept that.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                            Skoobasaurus-Rex
                            • Oct 2011

TT is a franchise QB now, top ten in the league and no longer mentioned in the bottom half of the league anymore by the press. That all disappeared quietly, including how he ran us out of long down / distance & then threw a long-distance strike to Hogan. All missed by the masses that watch him win the game for us, amnesia sets in pretty quick here.

This was 5 days ago, so one might think after this gutsy performance that he'd be higher now. Middle of the road was the call then:
                            Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are Gregg Rosenthal's clear Nos. 1 and 2 quarterbacks in the latest QB Index. Where do the rest of the league's QBs fall on the list?

12th here:

Last edited by Skooby; 10-12-2015, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

his accuracy percentage is declining, but its pronounced the last two weeks when Watkins was out. His qb rating is still very good at 82% or above in all the games. so it suggests that he is a good care taker. the INT's are largely held in check.

one thing that seems disturbing is that he doesn't have a quick release. He isn't trusting receivers and reads. Until they start clicking on those slants and timing patterns, he's going to drop back and scan looking for the obviously open receiver. Without Watkins and percy getting double coverage, finding the obviously open guy is going to be hard. And when it's hard its going to be him standing in a pocket getting hit.

I think if he can get some slants and TE's 5 yards down the field early, and ultimately some designed runs, the defenses can just have a contained rush that doesn't require them to get to him in 2-3 seconds, because he'll hold the ball for 4. ONce he starts connecting on passes, then the d has to make an effort to get to him faster. and that will open up the running lanes that he takes advantage of and improvises well in.

IF the accuracy percentage continues to decline once watkins is back, then i think DC's have him more or less figured out and we have to start facing the fact that we still don't have a qb.

it can go either way and the next few weeks will go a long way in sorting this all out.

Comment

Working...
                              X