PDA

View Full Version : Bills CBs

swiper
10-12-2015, 05:13 PM
I get tired of hearing myself complaining. I hate this team for a lot of reasons. But the two CBs are playing at a high level. If I hate everything else, I certainly enjoy watching these two play.

Kudos to Gilmore and Darby. Dreadlocks of Doom.

[/this thread inspired by Skooby]

YardRat
10-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Ohhhh...like the nickname.

Ed
10-12-2015, 05:56 PM
It will be interesting to see what Leodis' role will be when he returns, assuming everyone is healthy. Maybe he takes reps from Robey in the slot, but they seem to like Robey a lot in that role. Darby has really been a pleasant surprise and I can't see him losing his starting job to anyone.

I'm guessing Leodis will end up being a cap casualty after the season to save money for other extensions.

Pinkerton Security
10-12-2015, 06:49 PM
I get tired of hearing myself complaining.

you're not the only one, trust me.

jimmifli
10-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Number 1 and 2 in pass deflections.

Topas
10-13-2015, 02:40 AM
Number 1 and 2 in pass deflections.

Really? In the whole league? That is next to impossible on the same team.
Hyper-awesome if true.

swiper
10-13-2015, 03:14 AM
It will be interesting to see what Leodis' role will be when he returns, assuming everyone is healthy. Maybe he takes reps from Robey in the slot, but they seem to like Robey a lot in that role. Darby has really been a pleasant surprise and I can't see him losing his starting job to anyone.

I'm guessing Leodis will end up being a cap casualty after the season to save money for other extensions.

Ed. Please. If you have learned one thing with the RB situation, it should be this: injuries are bound to happen. Don't we all wish we had Fred Jackson on the roster right now? McKelvin will get his playing time. Who to keep and who to let go will work itself out over the next 11 games.

jimmifli
10-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Hyper-awesome if true.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/passesDefended

Darby has 11, Gilmore 10, next closest is at 8.

Ed
10-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Ed. Please. If you have learned one thing with the RB situation, it should be this: injuries are bound to happen. Don't we all wish we had Fred Jackson on the roster right now? McKelvin will get his playing time. Who to keep and who to let go will work itself out over the next 11 games.
We always seem to have injury issues at CB so yeah, that would not surprise me at all. If everyone is healthy then that will be a good problem to have. Can't complain about having good depth at an important position. I could see McKelvin providing depth at safety too. Not sure how hard it would be for him to make that transition, but I've always thought he could be a pretty good safety since he seems to excel when things are in front of him and he's not having turn his back to the ball.

stuckincincy
10-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Hyper-awesome if true.

It's a double-edged sword. To me, PD numbers mean that the opposing QB isn't getting pressured enough and is firing off clean strikes that dbs are batting away.

jimmifli
10-13-2015, 01:38 PM
It's a double-edged sword. To me, PD numbers mean that the opposing QB isn't getting pressured enough and is firing off clean strikes that dbs are batting away.

I think it's more that we're leading the league in pass attempts against, which is a result of good run D and good coverage downfield. Offenses are finding "success" with the short passing game.

stuckincincy
10-13-2015, 02:02 PM
I think it's more that we're leading the league in pass attempts against, which is a result of good run D and good coverage downfield. Offenses are finding "success" with the short passing game.

That could be. But teams - forever - have pumped up their next-season press releases by saying that "we were at the top in pass defense" (message: buy our tickets for the upcoming season). Or vice-versa..."tops against the run.

The NE and NYG games pumped up the attempt numbers, but I think that one of the "books" on Ryan's defensive style is that he often crowds the LOS and IMO has players out of position - the result being that the middle/short of the BUF D are fertile passing grounds.

malvado78
10-13-2015, 03:30 PM
So to me this brings the question to Ryan "what is wrong with your defense?". It has always been said that he likes strong CB's he can put out on an island. Seems like he is getting that. He has a stellar D-line. They are performing on run which is great but they should be dominating the pass as well and so far that isn't happening.

jimmifli
10-13-2015, 03:36 PM
That could be. But teams - forever - have pumped up their next-season press releases by saying that "we were at the top in pass defense" (message: buy our tickets for the upcoming season). Or vice-versa..."tops against the run.

The NE and NYG games pumped up the attempt numbers, but I think that one of the "books" on Ryan's defensive style is that he often crowds the LOS and IMO has players out of position - the result being that the middle/short of the BUF D are fertile passing grounds.

We lead the league in pass attempts against but opposing QBs have the 5th worst completion percentage against us and 6th worst YPA against us. Lots of throws, not a lot of yards, not a lot of completions.

So, we're daring them to pass, and they are, but they aren't having much success.

I'll agree with you on the "shabby" run D, we're 8th in yards per attempt, but with so many guys crowding the line, we should be better.