PDA

View Full Version : Sammy not a fan of Tyrod, or EJ?

YardRat
10-15-2015, 04:03 PM
https://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/15/sammy-watkins-speaks-up-when-i-get-one-on-one-just-target-me/

“That’s what I get mad at,” Watkins said, “when I don’t get looked at. I can look at film and his eyes go straight that way and I’m not getting looked at, at all. That’s when I get frustrated. When I have one-on-one coverage, go to me. I don’t care what’s going on over there. I don’t care if he’s open. When I get one on one, just target me.”

djjimkelly
10-15-2015, 04:12 PM
but tyrod is perfect i thought?

TheBrownBear
10-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Hmmmnnn...looks like the Odell talk has finally gotten under Sammy's skin, no?

If he's airing the above to the press, I assume he's already broached the issue with Tyrod. And hopefully things were already getting better in that regard based on the two sideline throws by Taylor to Sammy in the first quarter of the Dolphins game.

I agree with everything Sammy says, but I can't say I'm a fan of airing it out to the public.

djjimkelly
10-15-2015, 04:19 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/10/15/9538249/watkins-ejs-going-to-have-a-monster-game?_ga=1.233571998.1883269976.1437650507

"I think this game, he's going to come in and light it up, just because he had that time to sit and watch Tyrod make plays. Now he can see, 'Hey, Tyrod can make plays. I can go out and do the same.' I think he's going to have a monster game. He's really going to go out there, throw a lot of passes, make the right corrections at the line and he'll be good."
Bills WR Sammy Watkins

stuckincincy
10-15-2015, 04:22 PM
https://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/15/sammy-watkins-speaks-up-when-i-get-one-on-one-just-target-me/

“That’s what I get mad at,” Watkins said, “when I don’t get looked at. I can look at film and his eyes go straight that way and I’m not getting looked at, at all. That’s when I get frustrated. When I have one-on-one coverage, go to me. I don’t care what’s going on over there. I don’t care if he’s open. When I get one on one, just target me.”

"There is unrest in the forest..."

TacklingDummy
10-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Cancer.

Bigger draft bust than Maybin.

WagonCircler
10-15-2015, 04:30 PM
This entire organization is on auto-pilot.

What a clusterfguk.

Meathead
10-15-2015, 04:43 PM
"When I have one-on-one coverage, go to me. Force the ball. The only things that’ll happen are I catch it or knock it out. Of course I’d have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I’m getting 20 targets."

echos with the sound of salesmen

chris66
10-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Tyrod has been so bad the last couple of games it doesnt matter if Sammy is playing or not. TT is missing receivers no matter who is open.

With Parker as watkins agent it might be a short stint in buffalo

YardRat
10-15-2015, 04:52 PM
I agree with everything Sammy says, but I can't say I'm a fan of airing it out to the public.

It's really just a question of your honesty, yeah your honesty.

Night Train
10-15-2015, 04:52 PM
They don't throw to guys in street clothes.

Aggie
10-15-2015, 05:20 PM

EJ does.

Bill Cody
10-15-2015, 05:21 PM
I love the fire. BUT coming off an injury the timing is odd and even if it wasn't I can't see the benefit to the team of airing dirty laundry in public.

YardRat
10-15-2015, 05:22 PM

EJ does.

LOL...nice...that was funny.

Luisito23
10-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Once in a generation receiver my ass...and to top it off the guy's made of glass.

justasportsfan
10-15-2015, 05:38 PM
I agree with Sammy. I've watched some of the jets game and Fitz throws to Marshall no matter what which is why Fitz is doing better. Marshall is making Fitz look good.

Tyrod stares down people and tends to go with his fave targets.

As for Sammy she needs to get healthy and stay healthy is he wants his qbs to feel more comfortable throwing him the ball.

This is turning exactly into the Circus I thought it could be when we hired Rexy.

TheBrownBear
10-15-2015, 05:45 PM
"What you really have to look at is in five or six years, no, they’re not going to be Eli but they’re going to be elite...So when I’m healthy and I’m going into my years, I’ll have a top quarterback who can throw the ball. So that’s how I look at these guys...Once these guys grow the next three or four years, if they’re still here, you’ll definitely see those high numbers.”

Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...

BillsImpossible
10-15-2015, 05:48 PM
This is Sammy Watkins doing his best Keyshawn Johnson and Andre Reed impersonations.

Good problem to have.

swiper
10-15-2015, 06:17 PM
EJ does.

Ah hahahahaha.

GingerP
10-15-2015, 06:31 PM

He is mad about that as well. He says he was ready to go last week, but the medical staff wouldn't let him play.

This article has a lot of detail:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2015/10/15/sammy-watkins-speaks-out-role-offense/74018588/

Meathead
10-15-2015, 06:45 PM
sometimes guys just have bad luck at the start of their career with injuries. fred taylor was looked at as super fragile his first couple seasons as he was out all the time then went on to be a reliable beast of a rb. heres hoping sammy will be like that

stuckincincy
10-15-2015, 07:08 PM
When Woods leaves town, Sammy can hitch a ride with him. :irule:

Mace
10-15-2015, 07:12 PM
It's really just a question of your honesty, yeah your honesty.

Well sure, why not ? If he's unhappy he's unhappy, doesn't mean it changes anything, but gives you a better read on him.

The opposite would be Flutie, everyones hero and beloved nice guy, locker room cancer and double dealer. Only person Watkins can really harm is Watkins, no one thinks we have a regular long ball offense, I'd hope Roman doesn't change it because of him, if the QB's do, it's a problem with the QB's being influenced by a receiver, you never want that anyway.

Maybe Watkins is just frustrated with his career to date, that's fine, I am too.

The rest is up to Watkins though. One look a game, make it a good one, maybe you get two next, before you know you're big bucks and a huge part of things But you're double covered, learn how to beat it then. "Trust your receiver" is great and all that when your receiver proves you can trust him and you have a QB with a laser arm.

You're not guaranteed "awesomeness" by what a team blows to get you and where you get picked, you earn it.

If they trade Watkins, and keep Harvin, what does it really hurt besides Whaley at this point ?

feldspar
10-15-2015, 07:23 PM
Being drafted by Buffalo could very well cost Sammy several millions of dollars in potential earnings because of the QB situation here. We'll see, but how good a WR looks is completely dependent on the QB in ridiculous ways if you look at from their standpoint. On top of that, he's got to hear all this **** about how he wasn't worth two 1st-round draft picks on top of that, as if that's his fault.

I'd be frustrated too if I were him, if not downright pissed...no matter what PC game he's got to play to be a team player. It's a money first business. This is the guy's career.

EDS
10-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Sammy is a total clown if he really is complaining about touches this early in his career. Stay healthy and focus on winning above stats please.

Meathead
10-15-2015, 08:09 PM
idk man. you gotta assume hes already brought this concern to the team and he must feel like they didnt totally listen to him. so he takes it to his agent who tells him he has to up the ante and bring it to the press

he does have a point but im not sure about the timing. if he was playing every game and they were still 3-2 and he wasnt getting a lot of targets then yeah now would probably be the time. the bills paid a ransom to get him so yeah they really should be treating him like an elite talent and giving him the chance to aj green himself. they really should be throwing to him just about any time hes one on one. but he hasnt been in every game so really his complaint might be premature. maybe just a week or too early, if they continue to not target him and they lose one or two then it would be a lot more meaningful

Mace
10-15-2015, 08:26 PM
idk man. you gotta assume hes already brought this concern to the team and he must feel like they didnt totally listen to him. so he takes it to his agent who tells him he has to up the ante and bring it to the press

he does have a point but im not sure about the timing. if he was playing every game and they were still 3-2 and he wasnt getting a lot of targets then yeah now would probably be the time. the bills paid a ransom to get him so yeah they really should be treating him like an elite talent and giving him the chance to aj green himself. they really should be throwing to him just about any time hes one on one. but he hasnt been in every game so really his complaint might be premature. maybe just a week or too early, if they continue to not target him and they lose one or two then it would be a lot more meaningful

We went through this before with Spiller, who at least made the effort to not say anything, but was certainly an elite talent. Goodwin is an elite talent too, so was Maybin, just not a good football player.

Elite talents can be as elite of a talent as they think they are but they sort of have to prove it by sort of doing stuff to prove it before saying they aren't being allowed to prove it because people are being mean to them.

If the team doesn't listen to your professions of excellence, it's probably not the team but has something to do with you thinking too highly of yourself and not feeling the need to earn it.

Maybe there is something out of context, but maybe he thinks Whaley has to be on his side, and he's special because he thinks so and doesn't have to prove it.

I'd give him time, but it would be good if he's on the field enough and does some dazzling stuff to well, dazzle people and give his voice some credibility.

Mr. Pink
10-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Good quote and makes a lot of sense.

"You came up to draft me and I'm not getting targets; that's a problem. You're making me look bad and you're making yourself look bad. Why not make both of us look good?'"

sahlensguy
10-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks Whaley!

EDS
10-15-2015, 09:03 PM

"You came up to draft me and I'm not getting targets; that's a problem. You're making me look bad and you're making yourself look bad. Why not make both of us look good?'"

Makes sense in that statements like that from a young player who has yet to establish himself make that young player look real bad and make the franchise look bad because it did not focus on what a dumbass the young player was before drafting him.

HHURRICANE
10-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Bickering Bills:

Thurman is the Michael Jordan of the NFL...LOL!!

I might be too old for this sight.

Mace
10-15-2015, 09:08 PM

I reread the article.

“I was told, ‘Look, you’re going to get the targets that you need. You’re going to start getting 100 yards every game,’” Watkins said. “That’s really the focus: winning. If I get 80, 90, 100 yards, we’re winning the majority of our games.

Well who told him that and what if we're winning the majority of our games, which we are, and he isn't ?

Not sure that's your point put it's a pretty good point.

The point is winning, not making him look good while doing it, no matter who told him that. That's sort of the NFL. You want your team to win, at least in public.

They shouldn't have come up to draft him. He's upset he's not the big man on campus like he was in college. People will be all over the offense if they start trying to force passes to him. But that wouldn't be his fault, it would be other peoples fault, because "they" told him he'd be the shiznit so he must be.

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Tyrod can't help it. He's a one read quarterback. Therefore he isn't starter quality.

Mike
10-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Being drafted by Buffalo could very well cost Sammy several millions of dollars in potential earnings because of the QB situation here. We'll see, but how good a WR looks is completely dependent on the QB in ridiculous ways if you look at from their standpoint. On top of that, he's got to hear all this **** about how he wasn't worth two 1st-round draft picks on top of that, as if that's his fault.

I'd be frustrated too if I were him, if not downright pissed...no matter what PC game he's got to play to be a team player. It's a money first business. This is the guy's career.

He could end up like Dwane Bowe who showed a lot of promise early in his career but never actualized his potential because of the QB/Offense he played on.

Compare that to Demarius Thomas who showed little early on until Manning came to Denver and literally though Demarius how to run routes & be a pro WR.

Mike
10-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Bottom Line is

1) Focker needs to learn how to GET OPEN because no QBs should ever Force passes to you for any reason!
&
2) QBs should take advantage of 1x1 and give Sammy a chance to get the damn ball.

Forward_Lateral
10-16-2015, 04:01 AM
Shut up and play. Concentrate on trying not to hurt yourself getting out of bed. Guy has no business saying anything about how many balls he gets thrown his way when he can't stay on the field. If anyone should be whining, it's Woods.

swiper
10-16-2015, 04:11 AM
Tyrod can't help it. He's a one read quarterback. Therefore he isn't starter quality.

Then why wasn't your first round pick a first target more often? Something's amiss.

- - - Updated - - -

The timing of the comments are curious as he has been out injured.

X-Era
10-16-2015, 04:22 AM

Meh. A competitive wide receiver? Shocker.

He's right. The quarterbacks are a bit tentative. He's right. They haven't targeted him as much as they could. But he's been injured.

I don't have any problem with the guy wanting more throws his way. I don't want him to become a head case though.

X-Era
10-16-2015, 04:30 AM
Sammy responded via Twitter:

"@TyDunne (https://twitter.com/TyDunne) Wish you could have added the part we have so many playmakers and me not caring about numbers I care about winning.. Grow up.. Sir."

https://twitter.com/sammywatkins/status/654799120347979776

Buffalogic
10-16-2015, 05:08 AM
He is always open. Just get him the ball.

GreedoII
10-16-2015, 05:27 AM
it's about the QB and they don't have one. Why do you think AJ Green..Julio Jones..Dez Bryant...Antonio Brown ...Odell Beckham are monsters?? they have a QB. Whaley was short sighted in thinking EJ was good enough to have a WR like Watkins..wrong...apparently it';s the same for Taylor who I like but it's clear this offense isn't well suited for Watkins or the QB's just can;t find him or are reluctant to throw jump balls or into coverages. Both?

DraftBoy
10-16-2015, 05:29 AM
Sammy responded via Twitter:

"@TyDunne (https://twitter.com/TyDunne) Wish you could have added the part we have so many playmakers and me not caring about numbers I care about winning.. Grow up.. Sir."

https://twitter.com/sammywatkins/status/654799120347979776

And as pointed out by almost every media member in responding to Sammy that is in the article...

He makes one very clear distinction. Ten targets a game, to him, directly boosts the offense as a whole. Defenses would stop loading the box with seven or eight defenders and maybe Percy Harvin gets free deep in single coverage. With all due respect to Indianapolis Colts cornerback Vontae Davis, Watkins says he was open throughout the game.

“I was told, ‘Look, you’re going to get the targets that you need. You’re going to start getting 100 yards every game,’” Watkins said. “That’s really the focus: winning. If I get 80, 90, 100 yards, we’re winning the majority of our games. That helps, not only me, but the whole offense click. Then I start getting more double-coverage and you run the ball to the right and Percy’s going over the top. That’s the biggest thing.”

DraftBoy
10-16-2015, 05:33 AM
At the end of the day I don't have an issue with Watkins being frustrated, he has every right to be and you want your #1 WR wanting the ball and thinking he's always open. The Bills need to address this with Taylor and Roman and find a way to get Watkins into the fold earlier in the game. Watkins is right, by getting him the ball and making defenses respect him then it loosens up the box and let's McCoy get the space he needs to pick up big yards.

Our offense will be at its best when its properly spaced and defenses have to account for Watkins ability to take the top off the coverage, Harvin's ability to score from anywhere, Woods ability to find the soft spot in the zone, McCoy's ability to cut on a dime in the open field, and Taylor's ability to get outside the pocket and turn a busted play into a 15-20 yard scramble. That's what I envision this offense becoming eventually but they are still finding their rhythm and that shouldn't surprise anybody. These guys got almost no reps together through Training Camp and the preseason.

Forward_Lateral
10-16-2015, 06:34 AM
He is always open. Just get him the ball.

That's because nobody covers him when he's in street clothes.

Buffalogic
10-16-2015, 07:13 AM
Brown and julio get at least 3 or 4 quick screen passes a game. Why we can't do that with sammy makes no sense.

djjimkelly
10-16-2015, 07:20 AM
the bottom line we have an athlete playing qb.

and being purely an athlete and not a passer will lead to these issues of the ball not being spread around

cookie G
10-16-2015, 08:51 AM
At the end of the day I don't have an issue with Watkins being frustrated, he has every right to be and you want your #1 WR wanting the ball and thinking he's always open. The Bills need to address this with Taylor and Roman and find a way to get Watkins into the fold earlier in the game. Watkins is right, by getting him the ball and making defenses respect him then it loosens up the box and let's McCoy get the space he needs to pick up big yards.

Our offense will be at its best when its properly spaced and defenses have to account for Watkins ability to take the top off the coverage, Harvin's ability to score from anywhere, Woods ability to find the soft spot in the zone, McCoy's ability to cut on a dime in the open field, and Taylor's ability to get outside the pocket and turn a busted play into a 15-20 yard scramble. That's what I envision this offense becoming eventually but they are still finding their rhythm and that shouldn't surprise anybody. These guys got almost no reps together through Training Camp and the preseason.

I agree with that, very much so...

and in 2 of the 3 games Watkins was on the field, they were up 24 -0 in the 3rd Q and 27-0 at the half.

Against NE, he was actually targeted around 6 times into the 3rd Q.

Its really pretty bad to complain about lack of targets when you're winning by more than 3 TDs or when you ARE being targeted and your team isn't scoring.

His timing for going public (stupid in and of itself), couldn't have been worse.

PS. He didn't really have his agent go to the GM and/or coaches, did he?

He's got some growing up to do.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-16-2015, 09:23 AM
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a wideout in possession of single coverage must be in want of the football.

Then why wasn't your first round pick a first target more often? Something's amiss.

We did bring in a new OC and another veteran wideout. It's possible Harvin picked up the offense faster and is thus getting more first read looks. Also, it seems like some of the routes which would have been Sammy's are going to him. I would like to see Watkins get worked into the short game more.

Ed
10-16-2015, 09:45 AM

I agree with this. Eventually this offense could be really dangerous, but I think fans are just being too impatient and unrealistic with their expectations. It's my understanding that Roman's offense can be very effective, but that it's also complex and takes some time to learn. When you consider that we have a qb starting for the first time, injuries to key players, and an OL coach that got suspended for the first 6 games, it's not surprising that the offense isn't clicking on all cylinders. We're only 5 games in and some of them have been pretty frustrating, but I'm expecting the offense to show some real improvement throughout the season, and I'm excited for its potential.

BuffaloRedleg
10-16-2015, 09:50 AM
I'd be more worried if he didn't sound off about this.

I agree with him 100% and am not bothered by him talking to the media. Last time I checked, this isn't an elite football team and need to improve on several things... including the passing game.

Those pointing to this as evidence of the wheels falling off the wagon are stretching.

starrymessenger
10-16-2015, 10:17 AM

Agree completely. I'm not at all fussed by any of this. I can easily understand why a 22 year old who considers himself (probably with justification) to be an elite playmaker would be frustrated because he has been injured and when playing has not gotten the looks. And I don't mind it if a young player's competitive instincts trump his political correctness occasionally. We are not talking lockerroom cancer here.
Running with a guy who has only 5 big league starts under his belt is it surprising that Roman would look to other playmakers when opposing Ds are scheming to stop Watkins and dedicating lots of resources to doing that. The one thing that Roman wants to avoid is turnovers so he's going to opt for the safer option as opposed to having Tyrod throw into double coverage. It's purely a function of the percentages. If Tyrod were an established passer it might very well be different, but the simple truth is that Tyrod is not yet good enuf (and may or may not ever be) to make the kind of throw that Eli made to beat the 49rs Monday night with any degree of reasonable expectation.
Taylor is a phenomenal athlete who could probably play a number of positions really well - RB, WR (Spags wanted to try him as a DB) but he has a lot to prove as a NFL passer, let alone a top tier one. He may get there. The whole NFL is waiting to see. And if he can there is no doubt that he will be franchise material.
Win or lose I find these Bills a lot more fun to follow than the teams of recent memory.

justasportsfan
10-16-2015, 11:59 AM
We drafted him to run routes ala TO :ill:

stuckincincy
10-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Mario chimes in:

...""Give the man the ball," Williams said. "I think Sammy is obviously a great player and he can get down the field. He's not just fast and can get vertical, he can make guys miss on the short catches and things like that. So I think the more touches he gets, the better chance we have of winning.""...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000558407/article/mario-williams-on-sammy-watkins-give-him-the-ball

TacklingDummy
10-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Mario chimes in:

...""Give the man the ball," Williams said. "I think Sammy is obviously a great player and he can get down the field. He's not just fast and can get vertical, he can make guys miss on the short catches and things like that. So I think the more touches he gets, the better chance we have of winning.""...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000558407/article/mario-williams-on-sammy-watkins-give-him-the-ball
Only things he doesn't do on a consistent basis is 1) Get Open, 2) Stay healthy.

stuckincincy
10-16-2015, 02:10 PM
I'd be more worried if he didn't sound off about this.

I agree with him 100% and am not bothered by him talking to the media. Last time I checked, this isn't an elite football team and need to improve on several things... including the passing game.

Those pointing to this as evidence of the wheels falling off the wagon are stretching.

The wheels may not be falling off, but after only 2 winning seasons and no playoff appearances in the last 15 years, the BUF management/ownership/coaches/players aren't exactly deserving of the benefit of the doubt.

BuffaloRedleg
10-16-2015, 03:25 PM
The wheels may not be falling off, but after only 2 winning seasons and no playoff appearances in the last 15 years, the BUF management/ownership/coaches/players aren't exactly deserving of the benefit of the doubt.

Well of course but I mean then every single decision they make ever is called into question. That's kind of a cop-out. I'm not going to hold Rex accountable for things that happened 10 years ago, nor the Pegulas. You can, but I don't see the point.

Night Train
10-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Personally, I could care less that he said this stuff. Not the first time we've seen this act over time.

Does seem funny from an oft injured guy. Believe he needs a voice of reason in his posse.

What's comical in Vic Carucci's article is his mention of the term " mutiny ", 5 games into the Rex era with an injury riddled roster. :rofl: A reach of epic proportions. Long live bad reporters and their TMZ opinions. :up:

Mace
10-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Personally, I could care less that he said this stuff. Not the first time we've seen this act over time.

Does seem funny from an oft injured guy. Believe he needs a voice of reason in his posse.

What's comical in Vic Carucci's article is his mention of the term " mutiny ", 5 games into the Rex era with an injury riddled roster. :rofl: A reach of epic proportions. Long live bad reporters and their TMZ opinions. :up:

I sort of agree but worry some because it's not unusual for a Rex Ryan circus team. By the same token, you don't see stuff like coming from teams with strong organizational presence, QB leadership level, or focused direction, like New England, Green Bay, and such.

You can say what you want about Belichick, but his players shut up, buy in, do their jobs for however long he lets them, win, then get booted and always wish thereafter they were back there shutting up, buying in, doing their jobs and winning. No Packer is inclined to argue with Rodgers, you never see many sour grapes on a Peyton Manning team, Coughlin in NY has the presence, to some extent Jerry Jones if ticked off in Dallas, Arians talks a lot in Arizona, but his guys settle into "team concept".

Mutiny is silly, disgruntled isn't a reach though. It is early sure, but this early they're supposed to be riding the Ryan wave. I think the problem with that is that he came not to a crap team to convince them to play over their heads, but a relatively established team that has tasted success already in fits and starts and was close enough to being solidly successful. Like Taylor seems ok enough, but he's still a new guy in terms of seniority, and evidently not a real vocal presence because he's still finding his way.

Would Watkins have complained about Orton or Cassel with craploads of starts under their belts who probably still looked at him as a kid ? Probably not.

If they start forcing the ball anywhere it takes the play out of the QB and OC's hands and makes Watkins the OC. You can't have that, more so as Taylor who shows some promise, has not proven to have the gun of Rodgers, early Peyton, Roethlisberger, or Brady to actually complete those throws reliably yet.

But should they throw more at Watkins ? He didn't play against the Giants, and had 8 targets against New England. Other games they were 3-0. Were they supposed to be more 3-0 than 3-0 ? So that means maybe the New England game. So he's complaining about one game.

Truth is, he's complaining he's not getting enough glory with an eye on his draft peers and next contract. He's complaining they were 3-0 and he didn't pile up glitzy stats like others do.

Famous Amos
10-17-2015, 08:19 AM
it's about the QB and they don't have one. Why do you think AJ Green..Julio Jones..Dez Bryant...Antonio Brown ...Odell Beckham are monsters?? they have a QB. Whaley was short sighted in thinking EJ was good enough to have a WR like Watkins..wrong...apparently it';s the same for Taylor who I like but it's clear this offense isn't well suited for Watkins or the QB's just can;t find him or are reluctant to throw jump balls or into coverages. Both?

Exactly. Its all about experience, ability and trust.
An experienced quarterback has been in the league as a starter most likely because he has ability. Manning, Roesthlesberger, Dalton etc all have ability to fit the ball in tight places, throw accurately in many different situations, and mad the correct read the majority of the time. Therefore, they can develop trust between them and their top receiver that when a play breaks down or there is tighter coverage then both know that the receiver can go up and make a play.

Now take into account Sammy Watkins career where he's had two head coaches, two o coordinators, three or for different quarterbacks and the current quarterback trying to carve out a career for himself. Tyrod Taylor has a certain playing style but is also very inexperienced and his ability is somewhat of an unknown. How can he and Watkins develop any trust based on a fragmented training camp and only 5 games into the regular season? How can Watkins expect anything more than that where the offense is trying to establish an identity and overcome injuries every week? Watkins himself has been injured this year.

Bills play a lot of play action and the direction that Tyrod is rolling out to is where his first read will be. If Watkins is on that side, he will be targeted, if not, he probably won't be.

Taylor doesn't play the same style as Big Ben, Rivers or Manning where they can scan the whole field. It's unfair of Watkins to expect that.

So he needs to be patient, wait for the QB to grow, and do his part. Taylor has a good rapport with Charles Clay. He seems to trust Clay probably because he's experienced and has proven himself. Watkins hasn't proven himself. I don't feel comfortable with Watkins going up and fighting for a ball on a jump ball the way Beckham could. But its the chicken or the egg conundrum...he's gotta get targets to develop that trust, but he has to be trusted to get the targets.

Edward Robinson
10-17-2015, 02:56 PM

I understand where Sammy is coming from BUT where I feel his statement gets me mad is where he said:
That’s what I get mad at,” Watkins said, “when I don’t get looked at. I can look at film and his eyes go straight that way and I’m not getting looked at, at all. That’s when I get frustrated. When I have one-on-one coverage, go to me. I don’t care what’s going on over there. I don’t care if he’s open. When I get one on one, just target me.”

If that is the case then if I was another receiver i would be tight. Thats like saying **** them, hit me. So what I got this corner locking me up one on one and Harvin over there is wide open. The ball should go to me because I'm better. Thats Bull****.