How did the Bills D fare last season...really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

How did the Bills D fare last season...really?

I had to get this out since I'm disturbed by the amount of heat that the D has taken since last season when they in actuality played much better than folks realize. I will caveat that w/ the silly notion that it's the D's primary job to keep points off the board, not amass sacks and takeaways although obviously those things can assist in keeping points down and are at least to an extent indicators of defensive success.

As well, keep in mind that the Bills front 7 last year on paper was among the league's worst, having only 3 of 7 bonafide starters and dubious talent at the other 4 spots.

Also, I consider the STs as a separate unit from the D. Perhaps that is some of the confusion between my positions and those of others.

So how did the D fare, and why did teams score against us?

Let's begin, shall we... :)

Game 1: Jets put up 31 in regulation and the infamous 6 in O/T to win on the opening KO.

1st Jet TD: Yielded by STs on KO
    2nd Jet TD: Set up by a Drew INT putting the Jets at our own 19 YL
    3rd Jet FG: Allowed by the D
    4th Jet FG: Allowed by the D
    5th Jet FG: Set up on Bills 24 YL by STs on a blocked punt; D held, no TD.
    6th Jet TD: Missed 39 Yd. FG gave Jets great FP at their own 40.

O/T: STs allows TD on opening KO

Other notes:

D set up a Bills' TD w/ a Pat Williams FF and a Newman recovery giving the Bills the ball on the Jets' 29 YL resulting in a TD.

The D held the Jets to:

266 total net yards
    2 of 8 or 25% 3rd-down-%age
    73 net rushing yards,
    and contributed in holding the Jets to only 21 min. ToP.

Summary: W/o help from the O and STs, the D was responsible for only 6 points in this game, arguably 13.

Isn't this a little bit contrary to what we've heard!

I'll post the other games as time permits...

Enjoy!

:)

Game 10: K.C.: The #1 offense in the league put up 17 against us.

KC's 1st TD: Defense allowed
    KC's 2nd FG: Defense allowed
    KC's 3rd TD: Defense allowed

Other notes: Bills D held the league's #1 offense to:

17 total points
    320 net yards
    the league's best RB to 104 yards on 3.4 YPC
    less than 200 passing yards
    4-of-11 3rd-down-%age, 36%
    and 28 minutes ToP

Summary: Our understaffed and undertalented D held the league's best offense to only 17 points on their home turf.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

The defense played better and better last year. This is exactly what happened the year before. But they didn't take the ball away and they didn't give the offense great field position. If there wasn't a problem with the defense TD wouldn't have gone out and put so much into the defense this year. My hope is that with the additions and the positives of last years squad, the Bills will have a very solid defense this season.

Let's not let stats fool you. If other teams aren't afraid of your defense they will have the confidence to do whatever they want. Other teams that played the Bills last season weren't intimidated by that squad. The fear was the offense.
    Last edited by TheGhostofJimKelly; 07-23-2003, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
      • Jul 2002

Wys........................no one disagrees that they got better as the season went on. Much better. They did cost us games early on though. You surely don't deny that? I don't care about Drews TO's in the oakland game............If your offense puts up 30+ points and you lose it's on the D! Just like the opposite is true in the GB game................If your D holds a team to only 10 points it's the O's fault if you lose.

Comment

• lordofgun
        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

The main problem I had with last year's D is the inability to adjust to simple things like screen passes, Chris Watson covering #1 WRs, etc. The coaching should have been a lot better, but it didn't have to be a lot better simply to counter those situations, yet they failed to do so. That's my main beef with last year's D. It's obvious we didn't have the horses to get it done completely last year.

But I don't really care about last year's D. I'm looking forward to watching this year's. Coaching is the only thing that could bring it down, but I'm hoping Lebeau will make a difference on that side of things.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
          • Jul 2002

September 15
          Jets at Bills
          Loss 37-31

September 15
          Bills at Vikings
          Win 45-39

September 22
          Bills at Broncos
          Loss 28-23

September 29
          Bears at Bills
          Win 33-27

October 6
          Raiders at Bills
          Loss 49-31

October 13
          Bills at Texans
          Win 31-24

October 20
          Bills at Dolphins
          Win 23-10

October 27
          Lions at Bills
          Win 24-17

November 3
          Patriots at Bills
          Loss 38-7

November 17
          Bills at Chiefs
          Loss 17-16

November 24
          Bills at Jets
          Loss 31-13

December 1
          Dolphins at Bills
          Win 38-21
          &

December 8
          Bills at Patriots
          Loss 27-17

December 15
          Chargers at Bills
          Win 20-13

December 22
          Bills at Packers
          Loss 10-0

December 29
          Bengals at Bills
          Win 27-9

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

Why does LeBeau have to do anything?

The D, by-and-large, played relatively well last year as you'll see.

I think most of the difference in the improvement in play will be due to having Adams instead of a platoon, Spikes instead of Robinson, and Posey instead of no one. Also, the change in strategy from a big-play passing D to a run-oriented one, if it actually happens, will also be a big factor. Last year's D didn't have that help.

I realize that LeBeau will get credit for the entire change, but IMO it will largely have been due to the D having some talent for Gray to work with.

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
            The defense played better and better last year. This is exactly what happened the year before. But they didn't take the ball away and they didn't give the offense great field position. If there wasn't a problem with the defense TD wouldn't have gone out and put so much into the defense this year. My hope is that with the additions and the positives of last years squad, the Bills will have a very solid defense this season.

Let's not let stats fool you. If other teams aren't afraid of your defense they will have the confidence to do whatever they want. Other teams that played the Bills last season weren't intimidated by that squad. The fear was the offense.
            Oh no, I wouldn't want to "let the stats fool me!"

As well, please tell me why takeaways and sacks are so pivotal on D but they're hardly worth mentioning as factors in games when measuring the O.

Also, you speak as if this game was in week 10. It was the very first game of the season!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
              September 15
              Jets at Bills
              Loss 37-31

Once again, you just ignored virtually everything in my post.

Nice of you to blame the D for what the O and the STs did...

I can tell you this, if the D plays like that in every game this season, we'll be #3 at the end of the year and be 13-3.

Few teams will win on the merits of only 266 total yards, 25% 3rd-down-conversions, and the D only allowing 13 points. I'm not sure any would if our O plays up to snuff!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                • Jul 2002

BTW BFO, which of those words didn't you understand?

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                  • Jul 2002

September 15
                  Jets at Bills
                  Loss 37-31

Gotta side with Wys on this one.............the D was not even on the field for 13 of those points. That was not thier fault we lost that game..................

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                    • Jul 2002

I will caveat that w/ the silly notion that it's the D's primary job to keep points off the board, not amass sacks and takeaways although obviously those things can assist in keeping points down and are at least to an extent indicators of defensive success.

That statement for one is flawed. Can assist? That's their job! We were at the bottom of the league give/take wise and dead last take wise.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fairway To Green

Gotta side with Wys on this one.............the D was not even on the field for 13 of those points. That was not thier fault we lost that game..................
                      Hmmm. Maybe so. I was at the game and in a slightly drunken state in the blazing sun.

I kind of remember it looking like the Jets were able to score at will. Remember a KO return means that there is that much less time the Jets O are on the field.

Comment

• ryven
                        • Jan 2003

I think one of the reasons labue is there is to help on some of the zone blitzing packages we us time to time and to help our offense to pick them up as well as throw in some thing different here and there.

Comment

• Fat Tony
                          • Sep 2002

If the D was so great, why replace almost half the starters?

Comment

• Wys Guy
                            • Jul 2002

So why mince words BFO!

Just come out and make a statement similar to:

"Sacks and takaways determine wins!"

Just say it...

B/c as I see it, a team can have few sacks or TAs and still manage to hold opponents from scoring.

You know, I was gonna post more, but why bother. I'll go argue w/ my truck...

I will say that I'll take a D that allows only 266 total yards, 13 points, 73 rushing yards, and holds opponents to only 25% 3rd-down-% each and every week this year even if it means not a single takeaway or sack all season long!

BTW, that would rank our D, according to last season's final rankings:

1st in rushing D
                            7th in passing D
                            2nd in yardage D
                            1st in 3rd-down-conversion D
                            2nd in scoring D

I guess w/o takeaways and sacks that wouldn't be acceptible to you, b/c that's exactly what you're implying here!

Again, it's no wonder I'm beating my head against a wall here...

It's pure emotionalism driven by untrue Front Office statements and media coverage based on perceptions.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                              • Jul 2002

Remember a KO return means that there is that much less time the Jets O are on the field.

Good point..............I did not consider that.................I take it back.............the D sucked against the Jets too:pimp:

Comment

Working...
                              X