X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Mario Williams sounds off on Bills' defensive scheme

"It's simple, those four guys, no matter what else we do, y'all are going," said Williams. "I know for a fact, and I'm not questioning anything, but I know for a fact, I drop a lot myself. And I think last week, watching the film, Kyle dropped six-, seven-plus (times). You can go down the line and say the same thing. Marcell (Dareus) typically doesn't, but Jerry does. You got guys that you're saying gotta be disruptive and get after the quarterback.

"It might not even mean being aggressive. It's just, us four, we need to go. I mean, we have a lot at stake because of who we are, who we've been, the amount of money this team put in up front. You gotta let 'em go, or what's the point of it?"

Asked whether he'd approach Ryan with his concerns, Williams said that neither he nor his linemates would make demands of the coaches.

It's just clear to them changes are needed.

"At the end of the day, the defensive scheme, we either gotta tweak it or figure out what can we do now to change what we do to accommodate it," he said.

The Bills were supposed to boast the most dominant defensive front in football, but they rank just 27th in sacks per pass attempt. Mario Williams suggests changes have to be made.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Mario Williams sounds off on Bills' defensive scheme

Wisdom.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

I'm glad someone said it.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

All four can't just suck that fast. They are set up to fail worse than Jauron.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jaybird
          • Dec 2005

arguably between Mario and Sammy they are the most heavily invested players on the team. Within 1 week they both take a shot at the system and coaching. Has Rex already lost the team? Maybe make a change on D, coaching change! Rex needs to show something... How can our D turn this bad so fast. Is it time to give Brandon Spikes a call to help with the run game?

Comment

• Turf
            • Jul 2002

This is an asinine defensive approach for a coach that supposed to be a defensive genius.
            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• jimmifli
              • Nov 2006

Rush four drop seven. The seven can cover for longer than the five can block the four.

Sometimes coaching is about finding matchups that work in your favour. But when you have a large advantage in talent, you don't have to find the matchups that work in your favour. They are almost all in your favour every time you drop 7 and rush four.

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
                • Mar 2015

Now all of the D-Lineman have complained about the scheme. That really says something, especially since Dareus and Kyle hadn't really complained about that kind of stuff while they've been here.

Something needs to change and maybe Mario will be the one to spark it

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

maybe hes only gold plated
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Those D-linemen ought to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves why they didn't get a single sack on Dalton. I don't think they even got a hit on him. Even when they got close, Dalton had enough space to toss the ball away - several times.
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

Outclassed and out-coached, Marvin Lewis must of asked Rex to turn in his man card.

Comment

• Mace
                        Haha...yeah you think so ?
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                        Those D-linemen ought to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves why they didn't get a single sack on Dalton. I don't think they even got a hit on him. Even when they got close, Dalton had enough space to toss the ball away - several times.
                        They don't line up and just rush like a field game when you're a kid. Was Kyle supposed to get a sack when his assignment was dropping back like an LB, or Hughes in coverage ? Must be their fault. I don't know, I saw Dalton getting hit. Just didn't matter any because his receiver caught the ball no matter the coverage without rushing linemen or blitzes.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I feel your pain, Mario.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                            • Apr 2005

Hard to be aggressive if your back peddling. I hate this style of defense , especially with our talent.
                            Last edited by sdbillsfan2; 10-18-2015, 06:36 PM.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                              They don't line up and just rush like a field game when you're a kid. Was Kyle supposed to get a sack when his assignment was dropping back like an LB, or Hughes in coverage ? Must be their fault. I don't know, I saw Dalton getting hit. Just didn't matter any because his receiver caught the ball no matter the coverage without rushing linemen or blitzes.
                              DLs dropping in coverage is very infrequent. For almost all of the game, CIN was playing a more-or-less NFL standard 1 rb/1 te/3 wr set. 5 OLs. CIN's wr corps are decent, rbs Hill and Bernard can catch, so blitzing carried a risk. BUF's OL got run stops. But they were beaten by the CIN OL pass protection.

And it's not the first time that that has happened this season. I think that the opposition has found out ways to stymie the front four. I think it's not so much scheme than it is familiarity...

You are right about the 1 hit. Williams got it, according to the nfl gamebook:

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X