X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Rex is NOT the problem

I think there is way too much over-exaggeration about Rex "destroying" our amazing DL.

Rex came in and employed the style of defense he has been employing his whole career. Some players are struggling with it yes, and some are flourishing in it.

That being said, I think it is all irrelevant. The problem right now is that offenses we are facing are just dropping back and throwing after 2 seconds and our DBs as well as they are playing aren't able to cope with it.

Maybe moving to a simpler defense like Seattle's would be easier but in the end that problem would still exist in 3-4 or 4-3.

At the end of the day Rex wants to win above all. And I think he will have the defense in position to play better in the second half of the season.

In case people aren't watching, Brady, Eli and Dalton are carving up everybody not just us.
  • Topas
    German smartass
    • Feb 2014

Re: Rex is NOT the problem

Well ...no

Comment

• tonyc37
      • Jan 2006

Here is what know.A great coach tailors he scheme to his talent not the other way around.The have changes schemes many times under the Hoodie and have had success.I played football and I coached for many years.I have always used a system that fit the talent Ihave on hand.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
        • Jul 2002

On WGR's postgame it was brought up how last year's D wasn't stellar against Rivers & Brady but by the end of the season looked pretty good and it's too early to say what this year's D is.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
          I think there is way too much over-exaggeration about Rex "destroying" our amazing DL.

Rex came in and employed the style of defense he has been employing his whole career. Some players are struggling with it yes, and some are flourishing in it.

That being said, I think it is all irrelevant. The problem right now is that offenses we are facing are just dropping back and throwing after 2 seconds and our DBs as well as they are playing aren't able to cope with it.

Maybe moving to a simpler defense like Seattle's would be easier but in the end that problem would still exist in 3-4 or 4-3.

At the end of the day Rex wants to win above all. And I think he will have the defense in position to play better in the second half of the season.

In case people aren't watching, Brady, Eli and Dalton are carving up everybody not just us.
          Then why not make adjustments? Jump the routes...do SOMETHING.....

I think it's coaching. We do not make any changes at half. We do not have "exotic blitzes" that we thought we were going to have. We don't do anything except for rush 4 and hope for the best. I'm tired of it. We tried to fix the only thing that wasn't broken when we brought Rex Ryan in

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

i see both sides of this arguement. Rex's defense isn't that bad. they are being put out on the field in the first half with short fields and zero help from the offense.

but he should see in 6 games that the d needs to have the edge it had last year where it got turnovers. the d may have ok stats, but they were a menace last year. they hit the qb's so often that it invariably threw the qb's off. now, they are trying to get into qb's heads with DL dropping into zones and sending blitzers. and that clearly isn't working against the better qbs.

So i get it, rex's defense took a step back, but the offense is as anemic as it was with hackett. it raises serious questions about the line play we've received thus far and how poorly whaley has selected linemen. Initially, i thought that hackett and marrone did not know how to coach a line because people just missed so frequently and they couldn't run at all. but now, this line is still taking a lot of penalties, and they aren't letting us get a single first down.

some of its on the QB as well and some of its with the OC. i can't understand why our qb's only look in one direction and throw only if people are open. alot of other teams throw timing patterns and trust the receivers. we have veteran receivers. the qb's have to be able to trust the reads and throw quicker and to open spots on the field.

the only time we get yards is either the first drive or the end when the d is trying to make you run out the clock yourself.

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
              • Mar 2015

At the end of the day rushing 4 like we did last year works for that. Teams can throw the ball in 1 or 2 seconds because of the way our defense is aligned. Even if they arent blitizing they are showing it every play and that makes the LBs and DBs that are on the line unable to drop into coverage quick enough.

If we were to do what we did last year and drop back all but 4 or 5 it makes the QB have to go through his reads because he cant just hit quick passes all day. We had a simpler defense last year and teams didnt attack it like teams can destroy this one. I dont recall us getting shreded by quick releases last year, but I do remeber getting sacks because we could cover for the 2-3 seconds we needed for a rush to get there.

Rex came here and fixed what didnt need to be fixed. His scheme puts a lot on the secondary and is purpose built for a team that has problems with the pass rush but a solid secondary. The Bills are built the complete opposite way. Rex needs to change his defense to best fit our strengths, we shouldnt be asking D-Lineman that we paid hundreds of millions to drop back into coverage. Good coaches build around their players, not build the players around the system.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Rex is awesome. All is well.

Comment

• coastal
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

If the NFL says u can't hit QBs and can't touch receivers for 5 yards.. Run 4 yard patterns over and over and over again.

its ruining the NFL

Comment

• sahlensguy
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                    On WGR's postgame it was brought up how last year's D wasn't stellar against Rivers & Brady but by the end of the season looked pretty good and it's too early to say what this year's D is.
                    So why fix what wasn't broken?

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                      If the NFL says u can't hit QBs and can't touch receivers for 5 yards.. Run 4 yard patterns over and over and over again.

its ruining the NFL
                      Thats backwards. You cant touch a receiver after 5 yards, you can before

Comment

• Novacane
                        • Jul 2002

He's part of the problem.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Well when you have 300+ DTs dropping into coverage instead of clogging a hole or going after the QB, there is something wrong with your scheme. I get it, he's trying to be exotic and disguise where the rushers are coming from but come one! We have arguably the best D-line in the NFL. Let them do what they do best because it doesn't matter if the offense knows what those 4 players are doing.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

The rex hate is definitely overblown. The players have to answer for some of these things most people just blame rex for. We just have to improve our play and everything will fix itself.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                              Well when you have 300+ DTs dropping into coverage instead of clogging a hole or going after the QB, there is something wrong with your scheme. I get it, he's trying to be exotic and disguise where the rushers are coming from but come one! We have arguably the best D-line in the NFL. Let them do what they do best because it doesn't matter if the offense knows what those 4 players are doing.
                              Shades os Dave Wannsdedt.

Comment

Working...
                              X