PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually remember last season? I didn't think so.

JohnnyGold
10-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Last year: After week 6, the vaunted Bills defense was... Reeling after a loss at home to New England. We had given up 37 points to a Patriots team that was clearly better than us. Our record was 3-3. In our 3 losses, we had given up: 37, 23, and 22 points.

This year: After week 6, the Bills are reeling after giving up 36 points at home to one of the top teams in the conference. We're 3-3. In our 3 losses, we have given up: 34, 24, and 40 points.

Yes, over the course of the remaining 10 games, the "stats" changed to make the defense look like one of the best to have taken the field in Bills history--despite our 9-7 record. But at the end of the day, this Bills team seems to be right about where they were at this point last year, defensively at least. This makes sense, considering not much has changed personnel wise, aside from Aaron Williams being out for the season.

Offensively though, much is different. We are putting more points on the board, and that is with: our starting QB; 2 top RBs; and 2 top wideouts all missing significant time. I get the frustration at losing 3 home games to some of the best teams in the NFL, but so far, the teams we have lost to this year would be: the 2 top seeds in the AFC, and a division champion/playoff hosting NFC team.

Wasn't this supposed to be a Bills team that could contend for a wild card in the minds of 90% of the fanbase heading into this year? And isn't that where we find this Bills team, 6 games into the season? 1 game back from the playoffs, with a new offensive and defensive system, and essentially a rookie QB? Seems like we're right on pace for that goal, with a .500 record after (by far and away) the most difficult part of our schedule already completed.

I know it's 2015, and instant gratification is the only way people are able to consume media products, but for the love of god, there are 10 enjoyable games left this year, and we get the Jets twice, who currently sit at 4-1 and hold the 5 seed, 1 game back from the vaunted Patriots. Those Jets, led by our castoffs, have beaten teams with a combined record of 9-14, and are led by Ryan Fitzpatrick. They play us 2 more times, and the Patriots 2 more times. If you think that Gailey and Fitz will hold it together for 16 games, go review the record of any team Ryan Fitzpatrick has ever quarterbacked, including his 3+ years in Buffalo.

For 15 years, you guys have only wanted "meaningful football games". Well--there's 10 meaningful ones on the way. Enjoy them. Or don't. But stop pretending we broke up the champs last year and are left holding the hot potato of an organization in shambles. It's the same team, performing at essentially the same clip, with a better offensive output. Now we're healthy, and the easy part of our schedule comes along.

New teams and players take time to fit together--see last year's Super Bowl champions who started 2-2, and looked completely lost against Kansas City.

I retired from twobillsdrive.com, and this place looks like the next one which I will be permanently logging off from.

The 3 worst things about the NFL these days are:
1) Goodell
2) The refs
3) Fans that are part of the "now now now give it to me now" generation that analyze every play of a game as if it's life or death, and a referendum on the direction of the organization as a whole. You guys are literally setting up a scenario for yourself where you complain, fret, and are generally miserable for the entire 3 month run that the Bills will make towards the playoffs--despite this being "the only thing you've wanted for the last 15 years."

Well--it's *****ing here. Enjoy it.

Bill Cody
10-19-2015, 09:02 AM
I retired from twobillsdrive.com, and this place looks like the next one which I will be permanently logging off from.

toodles

IlluminatusUIUC
10-19-2015, 09:14 AM
I was going to post something similar to this because I agree. Once the frustration of the loss wore off, the Bills are about where I expected them to be. Indeed, where most people expected them to be. Go back and look at some of the preseason prediction threads, most had us at 3-3 at this point. Albeit most expected us to lose to Indy and beat New York but that's how the game plays out sometimes.

To win a Wild Card, we just have to be better then the other contenders for the WC spot. And who are they? So far, only the Jets, Steelers, and whomever wins out between Oakland/San Diego. And we play the Jets twice. Virtually every other preseason AFC contender has imploded: Kansas City and Baltimore are all but mathematically eliminated, Miami and Houston are sinking fast.

This is a top heavy conference and we are still very much alive to take one of those spots. We'll probably still lose in the divisional round by two TDs, but that would be our most successful season this millenium.

Skooby
10-19-2015, 09:28 AM
Miami will probably get hot and torch us at home, just for a final insult type of deal.

streetkings01
10-19-2015, 09:35 AM
So your saying we're the same average team we were last year? Great

EDS
10-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Next four games are crucial since one is a game against a team that the Bills have no business losing to and three are against division rivals.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-19-2015, 09:41 AM

That same team had a legitimate shot at the playoffs in December. This one has an easier schedule and a much shallower conference. 10 teams in the AFC had winning records last year, we might have 7 or 8 this year.

jamze132
10-19-2015, 10:40 AM
I see us 4-6 real soon.

trapezeus
10-19-2015, 10:53 AM
i agree with the original poster, but i also think that the team is fairly neutered. the last 3 games were pretty boring. they struggled with tenn. they shouldn't have.

if they lost some heartbreakers and were in the games, it would feel different. they are getting out hustled and out competed for the first half in 4 of 6 games. that's worrisome and makes it seem unlikely that they are going to be in a position to get to the playoffs. and if they do, it seems like they are not good enough to compete with the playoff teams.

i was thinking they were a wildcard team,but i also though rex would have them playing with heart and some passion. fighting until the end. this team isn't in it at the beginning and that's a concern.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-19-2015, 11:21 AM
i agree with the original poster, but i also think that the team is fairly neutered. the last 3 games were pretty boring. they struggled with tenn. they shouldn't have.

if they lost some heartbreakers and were in the games, it would feel different. they are getting out hustled and out competed for the first half in 4 of 6 games. that's worrisome and makes it seem unlikely that they are going to be in a position to get to the playoffs. and if they do, it seems like they are not good enough to compete with the playoff teams.

i was thinking they were a wildcard team,but i also though rex would have them playing with heart and some passion. fighting until the end. this team isn't in it at the beginning and that's a concern.

This is a big play dependent offense. When we get those big plays, like we did against Indy and Miami and New England to some extent, then we look like world beaters. When we don't get them, or when they keep getting called back on ******ed penalties, like they were against New York and Tennessee, then we look like we are stuck in neutral.

We've played 6 games and do not have one TD drive without a 20+ yard play in it. If we don't get those, we punt.

bdutton
10-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Last year: After week 6, the vaunted Bills defense was... Reeling after a loss at home to New England. We had given up 37 points to a Patriots team that was clearly better than us. Our record was 3-3. In our 3 losses, we had given up: 37, 23, and 22 points.

This year: After week 6, the Bills are reeling after giving up 36 points at home to one of the top teams in the conference. We're 3-3. In our 3 losses, we have given up: 34, 24, and 40 points.

Yes, over the course of the remaining 10 games, the "stats" changed to make the defense look like one of the best to have taken the field in Bills history--despite our 9-7 record. But at the end of the day, this Bills team seems to be right about where they were at this point last year, defensively at least. This makes sense, considering not much has changed personnel wise, aside from Aaron Williams being out for the season.

Offensively though, much is different. We are putting more points on the board, and that is with: our starting QB; 2 top RBs; and 2 top wideouts all missing significant time. I get the frustration at losing 3 home games to some of the best teams in the NFL, but so far, the teams we have lost to this year would be: the 2 top seeds in the AFC, and a division champion/playoff hosting NFC team.

Wasn't this supposed to be a Bills team that could contend for a wild card in the minds of 90% of the fanbase heading into this year? And isn't that where we find this Bills team, 6 games into the season? 1 game back from the playoffs, with a new offensive and defensive system, and essentially a rookie QB? Seems like we're right on pace for that goal, with a .500 record after (by far and away) the most difficult part of our schedule already completed.

I know it's 2015, and instant gratification is the only way people are able to consume media products, but for the love of god, there are 10 enjoyable games left this year, and we get the Jets twice, who currently sit at 4-1 and hold the 5 seed, 1 game back from the vaunted Patriots. Those Jets, led by our castoffs, have beaten teams with a combined record of 9-14, and are led by Ryan Fitzpatrick. They play us 2 more times, and the Patriots 2 more times. If you think that Gailey and Fitz will hold it together for 16 games, go review the record of any team Ryan Fitzpatrick has ever quarterbacked, including his 3+ years in Buffalo.

For 15 years, you guys have only wanted "meaningful football games". Well--there's 10 meaningful ones on the way. Enjoy them. Or don't. But stop pretending we broke up the champs last year and are left holding the hot potato of an organization in shambles. It's the same team, performing at essentially the same clip, with a better offensive output. Now we're healthy, and the easy part of our schedule comes along.

New teams and players take time to fit together--see last year's Super Bowl champions who started 2-2, and looked completely lost against Kansas City.

The 3 worst things about the NFL these days are:
1) Goodell
2) The refs
3) Fans that are part of the "now now now give it to me now" generation that analyze every play of a game as if it's life or death, and a referendum on the direction of the organization as a whole. You guys are literally setting up a scenario for yourself where you complain, fret, and are generally miserable for the entire 3 month run that the Bills will make towards the playoffs--despite this being "the only thing you've wanted for the last 15 years."

Well--it's *****ing here. Enjoy it.

http://media.giphy.com/media/13py6c5BSnBkic/giphy.gif

YardRat
10-19-2015, 12:26 PM
Somebody is missing the point, completely. Quite antithetical to the 'instant gratification' premise is the actual perception that it takes time to build something that is going to be a strength, and maintain it while you improve other areas once it's built. This defense was already built, not broken, and the next step in the long range viewpoint was simply to maintain the defense and improve the offense. Not doing so is a piss poor business model. This defense isn't supposed to be about the same as the beginning of last season, it's supposed to be the same as the end of the year, or better. The team's overall performance (read:record) isn't supposed to be similar to the same time last year, it's supposed to be better.

We've had 15 years of 'well, we're about the same as last year', it's about gawddamned time we get to a point where we're better.

JohnnyGold
10-19-2015, 12:46 PM

Yes.
That is exactly what I am saying.
And I wouldn't be saying it if the general conversation of Bills nation this morning was
"I can't believe we're average again"
as opposed to
"Fire Rex; bring in Jim Schwartz; let's tank for the #1 pick; I knew we should have hired Hue Jackson;" etc.
The Bills are who we thought they were.
In fact, I'll take it a step further.
This defense wasn't anything all that special to begin with.
A lot of flashy plays, yes, but since Mario and Dareus teamed up to form "the best defensive line ever" the Bills have gone 6-10, 6-10, 6-10, 9-7.
How "great" were last season's defensive performances?
The one that fans seem to hold up as some sort of vindication for the unquestioned greatness of our D, was beating Aaron Rogers in Buffalo.
Ok.
The Bills won 23-13.
The Packers lost 3 other times on the road last year (so they lost half their road games), and scored about that many points each time.
A good performance by the Bills, sure, but one sandwiched between losses (in "must win games") against Denver and Oakland, where the D failed to show up each time and allowed 26 and 24 points.
The cold hard facts are--the Bills D didn't show up in big games last year either. Maybe the "stats" were slightly better, but any big game the Bills had to have: KC, @MIA, Oak, Den, the D couldn't get off the field, and the offense didn't help much. Kind of like this year.

Whaley and Rex attributed that to QB play.
6 weeks ago, this team was fully entrenched in a "QB battle" among 2 career backups.
The one who can run better won, and after TORCHING the Colts for 27 points in week 1, some fans here thought it was time to start making plans for wildcard weekend, since we would obviously be at home resting up for the divisional round.

Back on planet earth, the same Bills team that was expected to contend for a wild card (not the division) is contending for a wild card, not the division, and has 3 losses to QBs with a combined 6 Super Bowl trophies and maybe the best QB in the league without a championship.

The "best defense ever" failed to show up in those 3 losses, just like it has failed to show up for big games for the past 15 years, or at least since Mario and Dareus got here. At the end of the day, if you want to complain, feel free to discuss the fact that the Bills have a quarter of a billion dollars tied up in positions that are historically counted on to stop the run and put pressure on the QB. Well, teams don't run anymore, and teams are starting to favor smaller wideouts that can get free off rubs and picks and pick up 7-8 yards in space.

Mario is complaining about dropping into coverage?
Boo hoo.
Wouldn't want to disrupt the momentum this team has since he came here, right?
Doing something different might result in different results.
But let's go 6-10 again and fire the head coach.

Rex has been deeper into the playoffs than any player or coach on this roster, save Percy (our other top contributor this year.)
Fans want to run him out of town because the Bills are on exactly the same pace as they were last year? Which happened to be their best season in a decade and a half?

The only thing more pathetic than the Bills track record over the last 15 years, is the complete ineptitude it has spawned in the fan base that grew up watching this garbage.

You guys should buy Sunday Ticket, and watch 4 weeks of out of market games.

Teams don't win 42-0 every week; unless theyre the Patriots.

Break up the Seahawks!!! They allowed almost 30 last night to a conference opponent!! Fire Carroll! Legion of were dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

Pinkerton Security
10-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Ive never quite understood the over reaction every single week by 75% of this board - it seems as if we're either the worst team in NFL history when we lose, or one of the best when we win. Same can be said about the general view of the team - tons of people thought we were a 3-13 team, tons though we were destined for the playoffs no matter what - its as if there's nothing in between.

WHY IS EVERYTHING SUCH A BIG ***** DEAL - there is apparently no moderation, only extremes. This is the reason I usually dont bother to check BZ until about Thursday, because nothing posted before then is remotely reasonable. I should have followed my own rule.

Victor7
10-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Good thread

Certainly a lot of good minded posts.

There's enough ammo to take either position to be fair.

I get the initial post. Its very well written. But I also understand the poster that says being the same as last year wasn't the plan and that we should be doing better. Specially on defense.

I get the posts about the AFC being weaker this year and the wildcard spot being well within reach. But I also get the posters that say we've played like crap the past 3 games and that we stole that Tenn game.

I get the defensive comparisons that say we aren't that different from 2014. But I also understand the ones that say that even if the numbers are similar the eye ball test doesn't quite pass. Those guys for sure look different than last year.

Can't blame anyone for taking either side.

But for those taking the calm cool approach please remember we are the Bills. We are not the Seahaws or the Pats who have seen the playoffs recently. We haven't been in the post season in 15 years. I was a teen the last time it happened I have 2 kids and a mortgage now. Its been too much. That factors in the way people react. And it certainly seems fair to me.

Night Train
10-19-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm not trying to paint a positive picture. Schemes need to be worked on after the Jags game during the bye.

The game I'm most down on is the Giants game. That was for the taking and we played a finesse game against a physical team. Cinci is the real deal & could beat anyone yesterday, let alone a depleted team with a backup QB.

Win in London, get to 4-3. Need McCoy to be healthy for the 1st game off the bye. Taylor won't be 100 % but should be close enough to play then.

The key is the coaching staff needing to look in the mirror. The same D roster did much better last year and the staff will be asked ad nauseam why a good thing was changed for the worse.

Why Hughes lines up so wide is silly. That means 3 DL are taking on 6 OL (TE). That will never win.