What do we really know about this offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

What do we really know about this offense?

We're 3-3. Almost halfway through the season but what the hell do we know about this Bills offense.

We've been without McCoy for most of it, we've been without Sammy for most of it. Harvin is in and out. Karlos is out, Tyrod is finding his way, the tackles have been in and out of the lineup.

We have not had one bit of consistency in this offense all season. And despite all that I think this offense is probably playing well enough to win us games if the defense was playing at the same level they were to end 2014.

I am not in the sky is falling camp yet, because realistically what the hell are they supposed to be doing?
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: What do we really know about this offense?

Originally posted by The King View Post
    We have not had one bit of consistency in this offense all season. And despite all that I think this offense is probably playing well enough to win us games if the defense was playing at the same level they were to end 2014.

I am not in the sky is falling camp yet, because realistically what the hell are they supposed to be doing?
    You are incorrect about consistency. Jerome Felton has suited up every game at fullback.

As for what they are supposed to be doing, I know that one ! They're supposed to be matriculating the ball and eventually score points every time they have it. I was thinking about this yesterday. In my decades as a fan, the biggest problem I'm seeing so far is that the other team isn't letting them matriculate and score as much as the Bills want to.

Connecting the two, I can only blame Felton who has consistantly suited up every game at fullback.

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

What do we know about the offense? For starters, the line sucks ****.

Comment

• mairofpominville
        • Sep 2015

I can see our first round draft pick in April/May being used on a tackle. I doubt we resign Corey Glenn.
        The Rock Pile Report. A professionally produced podcast about the Buffalo Bills.

http://rockpilereport.podbean.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TheRockPileReport/

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mairofpominville View Post
          I can see our first round draft pick in April/May being used on a tackle. I doubt we resign Corey Glenn.
          But then who will get all of our holding calls?

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

We know Sammy Watkins will never stay healthy.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

Run the ball. Run the ball. Run the ball.

If you ask me, this Bills offense has to be able to run the ball. If they have to get an answer on a QB to carry this offense, you are in trouble. The Jets are 4-1 because they were able to run the ball during that stretch.

If I were Rex, the next 2 - 3 weeks including the bye I would focus on improving the run game - 1) get my RBs healthy, 2) look at the run scheme, what's working, what's not, what might work based on what we know now; 2) improve O-Line play with my o-line coach being back.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                Run the ball. Run the ball. Run the ball.

If you ask me, this Bills offense has to be able to run the ball. If they have to get an answer on a QB to carry this offense, you are in trouble. The Jets are 4-1 because they were able to run the ball during that stretch.

If I were Rex, the next 2 - 3 weeks including the bye I would focus on improving the run game - 1) get my RBs healthy, 2) look at the run scheme, what's working, what's not, what might work based on what we know now; 2) improve O-Line play with my o-line coach being back.
                You cannot combine a run-heavy ball control offense with penalties. Just look at our third quarter in the Bengals game. We come out of the locker room down 17-14 and give up a TD, now it's 24-14. So they keep pounding the rock and McCoy is running really well until bang, holding call. Now it's 1st and 20 and McCoy isn't really a threat to convert. Three passes short of the sticks and punt. Cincy scores again and the run game is abandoned by necessity.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                  We know Sammy Watkins will never stay healthy.
                  ...and that Percy Harvin still appears to be a head case, Shady McCoy has taken a lot of pounding for a relatively young player, Robert Woods is very average, and EJ will never be a starting caliber QB. Everything else is still a big question mark.
                  Last edited by Jan Reimers; 10-21-2015, 10:40 AM.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Oh, and that Rex's coaching skills are much smaller than his mouth.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

We still have injuries. Karlos Williams and Harvin are out, maybe Watkins, maybe Taylor, and the chances of getting all of them healthy before someone else gets hurt are slim to none.

After Sunday, the season is nearly half over.

At what point do we find something out about this O? At what point is it too late?

What we need is to absolutely thrash Jacksonville to build some confidence back for the stretch of div games after the bye. That could save this season. A close win could go either way. A loss and this team is done- not statistically or numerically but psychologically. They haven't exactly been mentally tough to this point and a loss to a weak opponent will break them.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

We're a team that wants to run the ball and then play action to our playmakers.

That being said we have a poor to average OL that has already had two starters out.

This team needs one more draft to address the OL with top end talent.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                          • Jun 2024

I kept saying this OL is crap all off-season, but most fans were excited with the shinny new toys on offense.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                            What we need is to absolutely thrash Jacksonville to build some confidence back for the stretch of div games after the bye. That could save this season. A close win could go either way. A loss and this team is done- not statistically or numerically but psychologically. They haven't exactly been mentally tough to this point and a loss to a weak opponent will break them.
                            I don't care about trashing Jags. I just need to escape with one more point than them heading into the bye.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                              You cannot combine a run-heavy ball control offense with penalties. Just look at our third quarter in the Bengals game. We come out of the locker room down 17-14 and give up a TD, now it's 24-14. So they keep pounding the rock and McCoy is running really well until bang, holding call. Now it's 1st and 20 and McCoy isn't really a threat to convert. Three passes short of the sticks and punt. Cincy scores again and the run game is abandoned by necessity.
                              I actually thought about that, but I lump it into the "improve O-Line play" category: minimizing penalty is part of it.

You will never get rid of holding penalties completely. Heck Robert Woods got caught twice in the Bengals game. Just keep the number low and when we do have them, I need my QB to step forward to make a play. You just can't have like we had the last 3 games forcing your QB to convert 15 - 20 yard 1st downs regularly.

Comment

Working...
                              X