PDA

View Full Version : no one has cursed the speciial teams

djjimkelly
10-20-2015, 09:44 AM
now i havent looked up any stats or that, however.........

i cannot EVER remember bills players fielding so many punts inside our 10 yards line and not letting them bounce

or when so many KO returners didnt make the 20 yard line on a return

our coverage units dont do anything special or get a penalty when they do

this unit is truly struggling

jamze132
10-20-2015, 10:01 AM
It has to be scheme if we're this inept.

Most players get caught holding when they are beat by their man. Plus it doesn't help that we are one of, if not the most undisciplined team in the league. You're definitely going to have your fair share of blocks in the back. As far as our punt catcher is concerned, he just needs to catch it and run.

It also hurts a LOT when Easily isn't playing.

Victor7
10-20-2015, 04:07 PM
They are cover your eyes bad. They have directly affected the outcome of our games with their ineptitude.

Nothing is right. We fair catch punts inside our 5, penalties, galore, when we manage to get in a return it goes next to nothing and our coverage is sorely lacking. A complete cluster ****.

The past 3 weeks teams have started their drives at around the 30-40 yard line while we start our at the 20 at best. Its a monumental disadvantage.

Rex could really send a message by firing Danny Crossman. Let those guys know that enough is enough. They are costing us dearly

Turf
10-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Let's just say it, our special teams coach is a ****ing moron.

BOBM253
10-21-2015, 07:47 AM
Based on what I've seen this year, we should never take a kickoff out of the end zone nor attempt any open field blocking. That would guarantee a start at the 20 yard line. When we do try to take it out, we usually don't make it to the 20 anyway and/or have a penalty. To borrow from Wade Philips, we need to have a kick catcher not kick returner.

Mahdi
10-21-2015, 07:49 AM
now i havent looked up any stats or that, however.........

i cannot EVER remember bills players fielding so many punts inside our 10 yards line and not letting them bounce

or when so many KO returners didnt make the 20 yard line on a return

our coverage units dont do anything special or get a penalty when they do

this unit is truly struggling

I really don't understand the mentality of fielding punts at the 3.

Why not force the coverage unit to get down there in time to bat it back?

MillsapsBillsFan
10-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Probably wouldnt have to field so many punts inside the 20 if the other teams drive had started at the 20 instead of the 35.

I've been saying it all year, this special teams unit sucks.

The kickoff issue really presented itself once Carpenter started kicking off, which doesnt surprise me at all. You can hate on Gay all you want, but the guy was doing his job

BOBM253
10-21-2015, 07:55 AM
You're normally not supposed to field a punt inside the 10 yard line. Why the Bills are doing it, I don't know. Thought Thigpen was released for doing that. It's normally a great play for a defender to down a punt within the 5 yard line, we are doing it for them.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-21-2015, 07:58 AM
You're normally not supposed to field a punt inside the 10 yard line. Why the Bills are doing it, I don't know. Thought Thigpen was released for doing that. It's normally a great play for a defender to down a punt within the 5 yard line, we are doing it for them.

The only thing I can say (and trust me this isnt a defense for our special teams) is that by the time most of these punts are being caught theres already 3 or 4 opposing players around our returner. I know there are other variables to consider (the bounce, etc) but sometimes its a choice between the 10 yard line and the 1

Turf
10-21-2015, 01:26 PM
I really don't understand the mentality of fielding punts at the 3.

Why not force the coverage unit to get down there in time to bat it back?

No one should ever fair catch a punt inside the 10. Make the other team down it, don't down it for them. If our coaching staff doesn't get that they're dumb as rocks. That ball could bounce into the end zone, hit someone on the kicking team where it then becomes unfumbleable if you pick it up and try and run with it. It's just stupid for an NFL team not to know this.