PDA

View Full Version : Is our record as bad as it looks?

chernobylwraiths
10-24-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm not convinced this team isn't good. Sure, I'm very disappointed that the Bills are only 3 and 3, but there are some extenuating circumstances.

1. The Bills have been without key personnel for large portions of the year and/or of games. Offense, we have been without our starting QB, two starting WRs, our starting and backup running backs, and two of our starting linemen on one side of the line have missed significant time. That's kind of a lot. On Defense, we have missed our starting and backup safeties and now one of our defensive linemen not to mention the one game suspension. Not as bad, but still not good.

2. Two of the teams the Bills have played have an undefeated record. The other team is 3 and 3 and actually is playing pretty well for the most part.

3. Two of the teams we have lost to played their previous game the previous Thursday night. So, they had 3 more days of rest, recuperation and time to prepare.

4. One of the teams we have lost to is a bunch of cheaters. :D

On top of this, we are the most penalized teams in the NFL. I certainly have Bills colored glasses, but some the Bills seem to be highly scrutinized by the refs. I DO believe that bad officiating can turn a game in the favor of the opposition. And I am not saying that most of those calls weren't warranted, except for the Incognito "chop block" for sure. Some of them were of the "ticky tack" variety. However, it seems that the Bills opponents are not under the same scrutiny as evidenced by the punch to the face Duke Williams received from Beckham Jr.

I still have a lot of optimism for this season, but some of that is predicated on the hope that many of these injured players return and that the defense picks it up against many of the inferior offensive opponents (compared to NE and Cin) in the coming weeks.

I will say that our GM in my eyes should be under a great deal of scrutiny regarding some of his moves. I no longer have as much faith in him that I once did or at least his "leash" is much shorter now. Some of the moves in retrospect backfired and that isn't his fault (Fred, Castle). I will be waiting for him to get some of our young good players resigned at the end of the season and see what he does about the QB situation. I like Tyrod, but his style will not keep him healthy very long and we will need a capable backup, which I don't think Manuel is long term unfortunately.

feldspar
10-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Well, we are 3-3. I'd say that's exactly how good the Bills are right now.

If we can get healthier and figure some things out, I think we can improve this year because we have talent on this team.

On a side note, one person nobody seems to mention is Dennis Thurman. Technically, he is the defensive coordinator and must have some kind of control even under Rex. That just stands to reason. He's been Rex's defensive coordinator ever since 2013, and the results haven't exactly been stellar...just something to think about. Maybe Rex needs to be more hands-on with that unit?

YardRat
10-24-2015, 10:45 AM
The record is what it is, but it should be better. New England is always tough to expect a win against, but I don't think it's too much of a reach that if we had hired a different head coach and offensive staff, and built on what was already proven as successful (defense and special teams) this team could have easily been 5-1 at this point.

Mr. Pink
10-24-2015, 10:53 AM
It's weird because record wise they're better than I thought they'd be, but they look downright ridiculous from the front office to the coaching staff to on the field. Winning is really all that matters but this team and franchise right now is downright unlikeable and the circus that's going on makes it hard to vision them having much, if any, success.

feldspar
10-24-2015, 10:56 AM
The record is what it is, but it should be better. New England is always tough to expect a win against, but I don't think it's too much of a reach that if we had hired a different head coach and offensive staff, and built on what was already proven as successful (defense and special teams) this team could have easily been 5-1 at this point.

Penalties did absolutely kill us in couple of games (Patriots and Giants), but we also could have easily lost to the freakin' Titans fair and square, too. 4-2 would probably be the best case scenario for the the Bills right now, looking back through hindsight with things evening out. Staying healthy (like the Bengals) sure would have helped, but depth is part of a good football team to be sure. I find it interesting that exactly half of our opponents have had extra rest and time to prepare than the Bills through six games so far this year...just sayin'

Skooby
10-24-2015, 12:11 PM
We have been short on the coaching staff as well, just to pipe in here with additional excuses.

Night Train
10-24-2015, 04:01 PM
When your starting lineup looks like the Lions pre-season game in the 4th quarter, what do you actually expect ???

Mace
10-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Well, we are 3-3. I'd say that's exactly how good the Bills are right now.

If we can get healthier and figure some things out, I think we can improve this year because we have talent on this team.

On a side note, one person nobody seems to mention is Dennis Thurman. Technically, he is the defensive coordinator and must have some kind of control even under Rex. That just stands to reason. He's been Rex's defensive coordinator ever since 2013, and the results haven't exactly been stellar...just something to think about. Maybe Rex needs to be more hands-on with that unit?

I think that unit is probably the only one Rex is hands on with beyond his motivational speaker/media entertainer role. Thurman is probably irrelevant and directed entirely by Ryan. I read once that Ryan eased up a little in his defense involvement with Pettine/Jets, if he's not directing the defense I don't see what else he could be doing besides sideline motivator.

Have to agree with Pink here, the record says they're 3-3, but the team isn't looking that good to me, though they'll beat not good teams.

I think the offense has been handicapped by injuries, but the defense has been handicapped by the coaching staff.

If Ryan learns to adapt and use the line, all is well, but I don't know I've ever seen him adapt much. When he didn't have the db's he craved in NY, he didn't really change anything, just suffered more. If you think about it, Philbin and Miami lost 29-10, then changed up enough to beat us 22-9 next time. Ryan was slapped around once by Marrone/Hackett, evidently changed nothing and was slapped around again worse the second time, by, well Marrone/Hackett. We didn't have a lot of razzle/dazzle going on last year.

I really think this should be a team capable of playing with the big kids, but won't be able to because of Ryan and his band of former Jets coaches that he brought with him. Thurman is committed to doing what Ryan tells him, Lee, Lal, Sparano Jr. are just continuing what they did with the Jets, which wasn't much.

They're a good team with too many crap coaches to succeed, imho.

Mace
10-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Was just reading ...

Ryan will not change anything : http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21652/bills-rex-ryan-we-will-play-our-defense-despite-players-concerns

Ryan simplified things : http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/24/with-bills-defensive-players-itching-to-blitz-ryan-flashing-the-go-sign/

Heh, I just have this feeling simplifying things means for the LB's and DB's.

BertSquirtgum
10-25-2015, 12:50 AM
Bills stink

chernobylwraiths
10-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Well, we certainly are this bad with EJ at QB

trapezeus
10-25-2015, 08:14 PM
They should be 2-5. Tennessee was the same **** show.

It's hard to want to make time for this team. They aren't particularly likable. They aren't entertaining. For a 24pt comeback, you weren't excited. You felt like they needed to do that because the jags are terrible.

OpIv37
10-27-2015, 10:53 AM
3-4 with three contract losses. Last in the div. the only slightly redeeming factor is that if this team somehow claws back, head to head won't be a factor in tiebreakers because NE and Cincy are too good for it to matter and Jax is too bad for it to matter.

But I've seen nothing to make me think that this team can claw back, especially with EJ. It wouldn't shock me to see them go into a complete tailspin after this.

trapezeus
10-27-2015, 03:46 PM
my issue is the penalities should have been a one game occurence. "cut it out, you are killing the team" you show the situational factors that the penalties caused and how it took you out of competing.

You also have to have the team ready for 4-6 bogus calls a game for 31 teams. The pats never get bs calls. they don't have that. but the other 31 teams, if you watch other games, there are mind bending penalties that occur every week. and you have to be able to come back from that and not use it as a crutch.

and the injuries are what they are, but they also have had opportunities to get back in the games late. and then they don't finish. so for stretches, they can deal with the loss of talent. but the overall execution is so sloppy. when you need a big stop, the d can't get off the field. when you need 1 yard, they don't get it. when you need something, they won't deliver it. they only deliver when there is a bleak outlook.

they last 3 home games. they've essentially been out of 5 of 7 games in quarters 2-start of 4.

the likelihood that it all changes is unlikely with this group.