PDA

View Full Version : Please Terry and Kim get the Sabres off of MSG

DetDannyWilliams
10-24-2015, 06:06 PM
I'm sick of seeing these commercials about the Knicks, Giants and what is coming to Madison Garden, This is Buffalo and WNY nobody that lives here cares about the Knicks!

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Then don't watch.

What channel do you propose they go to ? And what do they do with the contract?

I would like to say I'm shocked you're *****ing and whining about commercials, but sadly I'm not

DetDannyWilliams
10-24-2015, 07:25 PM
I can think of 3
https://www.bing.com/th?id=Aef72ba9a9cb873757843a7d6db9f48a2&w=110&h=110&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&pcl=f9f9f9&cdv=1&pid=16.1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNYO-TV)https://www.bing.com/th?id=A92d5a0b556e5d36c0a5bde60d17c201a&w=110&h=110&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&pcl=f9f9f9&cdv=1&pid=16.1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNLO)https://www.bing.com/th?id=A77bb532cfe34f2759683ee731aa8f46a&w=110&h=110&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&pcl=f9f9f9&cdv=1&pid=16.1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUTV)

Dr. Lecter
10-24-2015, 07:34 PM
Those stations have network obligations and can't show ~75 NHL games

JATMtheJATM
10-24-2015, 08:09 PM
We live in an age when you can watch every game. Stop whining. I remember back when it was a big deal to watch a tigers and red wings game, or pistons game on local channels, cause we never paid to get pass network

YardRat
10-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Bring back a version of Empire.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-25-2015, 12:01 PM
The contract doesn't expire until 2017, and even then, you have to worry about making up the lost rights fees.

ckg927
10-25-2015, 01:06 PM
Then don't watch.

What channel do you propose they go to ? And what do they do with the contract?

I would like to say I'm shocked you're *****ing and whining about commercials, but sadly I'm not

Here's a radical idea: Create your own sports network.

Don't tell me that it can't be done, because it HAS been done. Look at Altitude out in Denver. Mid Atlantic Sports Network in Baltimore-Washington. NESN in New England. SportsNet New York. All of those networks are owned, in whole or in part, by sports teams(SNY is a partnership between the Mets, Time Warner and Comcast; Altitude by Stan Kroenke-who owns most of the teams in Denver; MASN by the Orioles and Nationals; NESN by Fenway Sports).

ckg927
10-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Those stations have network obligations and can't show ~75 NHL games

MyTV Buffalo has less obligations than, say, CW23 or Fox 29 does. Hell, they're a mini-net!

They currently air off-network syndicated shows in prime time...which are also on cable.

DraftBoy
10-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Here's a radical idea: Create your own sports network.

Don't tell me that it can't be done, because it HAS been done. Look at Altitude out in Denver. Mid Atlantic Sports Network in Baltimore-Washington. NESN in New England. SportsNet New York. All of those networks are owned, in whole or in part, by sports teams(SNY is a partnership between the Mets, Time Warner and Comcast; Altitude by Stan Kroenke-who owns most of the teams in Denver; MASN by the Orioles and Nationals; NESN by Fenway Sports).

You're talking about a massive investment and for what exactly? Because some fans don't want to see MSG promotions? Not sure that qualifies as a good reason.

DetDannyWilliams
10-25-2015, 05:06 PM
The Blackhawks have their own network on CSN, WGN. the Penguins & Pirates are on Root,

ckg927
10-25-2015, 05:27 PM
You're talking about a massive investment and for what exactly? Because some fans don't want to see MSG promotions? Not sure that qualifies as a good reason.

Maybe not. But now might be a good time to at least lay the groundwork for a regional sports network, even if that means you'll have to partner with someone who has more money(as ROOT Sports is owned by DirecTV, the CSN networks are a mix of being part owned by Comcast and some of the teams whose programming is on said networks).

Uncle Jesse
10-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Maybe not. But now might be a good time to at least lay the groundwork for a regional sports network, even if that means you'll have to partner with someone who has more money(as ROOT Sports is owned by DirecTV, the CSN networks are a mix of being part owned by Comcast and some of the teams whose programming is on said networks).

It would make more sense if we had a MLB or NBA team with lots of games to air on it all the time along with the Sabres. With the Bills and the NFL, they are only on the big guns, CBS/NBC/FOX/ESPN so their games obviously wouldn't be on it.

DraftBoy
10-26-2015, 11:02 AM

Ok...but again for what reason exactly? You don't just create a network, you have to base it off some sort of demand/unmet need.

ckg927
10-31-2015, 10:36 AM
Ok...but again for what reason exactly? You don't just create a network, you have to base it off some sort of demand/unmet need.

The unmet need is simple: This area doesn't have a regional sports network(and no, Time Warner Cable Sports Channel doesn't count; unless you have Time Warner, you'll never see that network). You have 1 NHL team, more than a few AHL teams, 3 Triple A baseball teams(and quite a few other baseball teams at lower levels), a number of upstate college sports at the 1-A or D-3 levels you can choose from(whether you produce the games in-house or pick them up from other programmers). There's also no reason why you can't also do Bills talk, etc.

ParanoidAndroid
10-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Meh. MSG works. I don't think enough people here care about the AHL or minor league baseball to make a local sports network feasible. I can't imagine Terry didn't already market research that.

Novacane
10-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Who watches commercials? You don't have a remote?

JATMtheJATM
10-31-2015, 12:09 PM
Meh. MSG works. I don't think enough people here care about the AHL or minor league baseball to make a local sports network feasible. I can't imagine Terry didn't already market research that.

Actually, on nights when there isn't a sabres game, showing amerks games would be awesome. Diehards would tune in

ICRockets
10-31-2015, 01:41 PM
Actually, on nights when there isn't a sabres game, showing amerks games would be awesome. Diehards would tune in

And if we're gonna hit the Rochester market hard, you can't go wrong with some RIT games as well!

ParanoidAndroid
10-31-2015, 02:37 PM

Some people would like it. I just highly doubt enough.

rbochan
11-01-2015, 04:16 AM
I'm just waiting for MSG to put animated ads on the glass behind the net during the games.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
11-01-2015, 10:30 AM
444-4444
888-8888
Veins Veins Veins
Knicks Knicks Knicks

ckg927
11-01-2015, 02:06 PM

Not to mention you have teams in Syracuse, Binghamton, Utica and Albany. Plus the ECHL in Elmira and Glens Falls(Adirondack).

And if NBCSN can air college hockey, so can this network.