PDA

View Full Version : An honest question. Do you think the Bills are a snake bitten franchise?

blackonyx89
10-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Love the Bills, but it seems like no matter what they do, they keep falling short! Be honest and upfront, do you sometimes think that this team is jinxed and snakebitten beyond belief?
I do sometimes......
:broken:

Mr. Pink
10-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Nope, for the past 15 years the front office/coaching staff is disorganized and inept.

They reap what they sow.

Mace
10-25-2015, 12:53 PM
Mostly I think I'm a snakebitten fan. If I lived in New England or Green Bay, they'd suck. whole thing is probably my fault for living here and liking football.

blackonyx89
10-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Nope, for the past 15 years the front office/coaching staff is disorganized and inept.

They reap what they sow.

That definitely seems to be the case, a merry-go-round of ineptitude and failure..........:jawdrop:

Mr. Pink
10-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Mostly I think I'm a snakebitten fan. If I lived in New England or Green Bay, they'd suck. whole thing is probably my fault for living here and liking football.

:rofl:

Don't be such a defeatist! Just because both franchises here have hit historical levels of ineptness doesn't mean it happens in every sports town in America. Well, except maybe Cleveland, but that LeBron guy might have something to say about that.

Ingtar33
10-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Love the Bills, but it seems like no matter what they do, they keep falling short! Be honest and upfront, do you sometimes think that this team is jinxed and snakebitten beyond belief?
I do sometimes......

Only if you consider someone who does not know how to handle snakes getting bitten by a cobra when he plays with it jinxed

Its pretty much self inflicted. There is a reason certain franchises are good for decades. it's not a mistake, it's the skill of the people in charge. Bill Polian when asked about FA and the changes it would make on the game said "it won't change anything, the teams that draft well will sign the right free agents, the teams that can't draft well will still sign the wrong ones." Teams pretty much make their own fortune. Granted having a franchise QB helps a lot, but it's not like we haven't had a swing at them. Carson Palmer isn't anything amazing but look at what the Cardinals are doing with him. He was available x2 for us and our front office never looked at him. Same for Payton Manning and Drew Brees; heck we skipped on Aaron Rodgers too.

Whining about there not being any franchise QBs in the draft 2 years ago when we drafted Manuel isn't an excuse for drafting a 3rd round talent in round one. Nor is it an excuse for passing on both Carson Palmer and Payton Manning the previous off season. No one put a gun to our heads and forced us to draft an above average 3rd down running back (Spiller), or further compound our problems with 3 RBs chosen in the first round over the past 15 years. We had fred jackson and willis mcgahee, decided to draft Marshawn Lynch, then just a few years later traded him for a handful of magic beans and drafted spiller. We did that to ourselves. No one forced us to not resign Fat Pat Williams, or run Aaron Schobel out of town, it only took us 8 years, 100 mil, a 3rd rounder and a 1st rounder to replace them. No one forced us to chose Robosack over Flutie, or to cut Reed, Thomas and Smith on the same day.

This team has been sabotaging itself ever since Butler's last season.

SpikedLemonade
10-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Location. Location. Location.

sahlensguy
10-25-2015, 03:14 PM

Same here, but I've lived in Utah for the last 25 years. You would think having two top fifty players of all time and a HOF coach all in their basketball primes, would have allowed me to relish in a championship at some point. But noo, Michael Jordan had to get the flu and then play lights out.

It's not the teams, it's me.

Mr. Pink
10-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Same here, but I've lived in Utah for the last 25 years. You would think having two top fifty players of all time and a HOF coach all in their basketball primes, would have allowed me to relish in a championship at some point. But noo, Michael Jordan had to get the flu and then play lights out.

It's not the teams, it's me.

That MJ guy infuriated a lot of fanbases.

Remember when the Cavs were gonna be the team of the 90s? Michael Jordan decided to not allow that to happen.

Thurmal
10-25-2015, 03:28 PM
It is weird. When Graham took that pick to the house, my very first thought was, "we're gonna give up a gamie-winning TD on the next drive." It makes you feel pessimisstic and negative to think like that, but, with the Bills, you're always right!

justasportsfan
10-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Could be. Our glory days of this franchise were 4 superbowl losses. We're still looking to replace the coach and qb that brought us 4 sb losses

blackonyx89
10-26-2015, 07:19 AM
That MJ guy infuriated a lot of fanbases.

Remember when the Cavs were gonna be the team of the 90s? Michael Jordan decided to not allow that to happen.

So painful to root for them and I still do. It may well be the case that there are some NFL teams that exist because their fans love them :doh: no matter what, but may never win a Super Bowl and if that's the case, it would be a miracle! The other day my brother said if Lebron James can't bring an NBA Championship to Cleveland, then there's no hope for smaller market teams in professional sports.

List of NFL Snakebitten Franchises

Buffalo
Minnesota
Tennessee
Detroit
Cleveland
Falcons?

The suffering continues..........:str8face:

If there are more, feel free to add!

Ingtar33
10-26-2015, 07:53 AM
The other day my brother said if Lebron James can't bring an NBA Championship to Cleveland, then there's no hope for smaller market teams in professional sports.

That's a specious argument. The cavs are run by a bunch of monkeys, and LeBron James is not a "winner". LeBron James is the best player in the NBA today, there is no argument from me about that. However he does not make everyone around him better. He simply carries the people around him. There is a big difference between someone who caries a team and someone who can make everyone around them better. A superstar can do either, unfortunately only winners can do the later. This is why LeBron, while a superstar, is not a "winner" and will always seem to come up just short of expectations.

I think the Packers would like to have a word with you about "small market" teams having no chance.

Discotrish
10-26-2015, 08:14 AM
I do sometimes......

I wouldn't call their ongoing failures to draft quality offensive linemen "snakebitten."

It's a choice.

Patti

Victor7
10-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Yes.

1000000% certain we are cursed.

The thing is I though it would go away once Ralph passed away. Seems to me like its still pretty much the same. Maybe we need to get rid of all of his stench. In other words. Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon to finally be 100% clean from it.

blackonyx89
10-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Yes.

1000000% certain we are cursed.

The thing is I though it would go away once Ralph passed away. Seems to me like its still pretty much the same. Maybe we need to get rid of all of his stench. In other words. Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon to finally be 100% clean from it.

I agree and once the new stadium is built, I hope that being in a new location will being new hope to the franchise and the owners fully understand that goal is to win a Super Bowl or get back to being competitive. Fans don't have time to wait 5-25 years to go back to a Super Bowl. That's real talk!!!!!

IlluminatusUIUC
10-26-2015, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't call their ongoing failures to draft quality offensive linemen "snakebitten."

It's a choice.

Patti

PATTI SPEAKING SENSE!

I agree totally, we have had about half a good OL for only a handful of years in the drought era.

BuffaloRedleg
10-26-2015, 12:42 PM
What NFL franchise aren't snake-bitten?

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, NY Giants? That's about it. A couple other teams had success for a season or two but dropped off. Even the good teams like the Colts and the Bengals barely get a taste and blow it ever year.

The rest of the NFL is pretty much a part of that rotten core of consistency in the NFL in this century.

Basically, only 20% of the league's fans have semi-regular access to winning a Superbowl. Another 20 or so percent get to sniff it sometimes. The other 50% do not, for whatever reason you want to call it, have access to a Superbowl.

It's a garbage league and a garbage sport and we've been held hostage by it for too long with empty promises and the carrot of faux-parity.

Why in the world should I be a fan of a league that is so clearly lopsided?

Jimkelly12203
10-26-2015, 01:13 PM
There is such a thing as just having luck (good or bad). But the truth is, when you've sucked for 17 straight years, you are sleeping in the bed you have made. Other than hitting lightening in a bottle with the right GM hire in Polian, this team was largely a failure under Ralph in the Superbowl era. So far not so good under our new owner.

BuffaloRedleg
10-26-2015, 01:14 PM
There is such a thing as just having luck (good or bad). But the truth is, when you've sucked for 17 straight years, you are sleeping in the bed you have made. Other than hitting lightening in a bottle with the right GM hire in Polian, this team was largely a failure under Ralph in the Superbowl era. So far not so good under our new owner.

We are certainly the worst of the bunch, but generally speaking you can say that about most franchises in this league.

blackonyx89
10-29-2015, 06:56 AM
That's a specious argument. The cavs are run by a bunch of monkeys, and LeBron James is not a "winner". LeBron James is the best player in the NBA today, there is no argument from me about that. However he does not make everyone around him better. He simply carries the people around him. There is a big difference between someone who caries a team and someone who can make everyone around them better. A superstar can do either, unfortunately only winners can do the later. This is why LeBron, while a superstar, is not a "winner" and will always seem to come up just short of expectations.

I think the Packers would like to have a word with you about "small market" teams having no chance.

The thing about the Packers is that they won a Super Bowl well before multi million dollar contracts and billionaires in larger markets were paying through the nose to get the best talent. Also, the Packers are publicly owned and the fans have a big say in how the team is run, if only Buffalo fans had that kind of power.

Albany,n.y.
10-29-2015, 08:37 AM

Take one for the team and move to Foxborough.

Meathead
10-29-2015, 08:43 AM
If I lived in New England or Green Bay, they'd suck.

well if you lived in new cheatland all youd have to do is live there when marcia isnt playing bc theyve sucked almost every other season in forever without him. same thing for belicheat, except of course the one season veterans were taking less money to go play there and had their strongest overall team when marcia went down and still only got to ten wins

that organization is going back to below averageland when she retires

CommissarSpartacus
10-29-2015, 10:40 AM
All anyone had to do was follow the Deflategate fiasco to understand the depth and breadth of stupidity throughout the NFL, and that includes the fan bases.

CommissarSpartacus
10-29-2015, 10:41 AM
If it's anything, it's the Curse of Flutie.

sahlensguy
10-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Don't feed the trolls!