• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

my non-original thoughts from game

1. I thought EJ got the short end of the stick last year and felt like we cut from him too early last year. He clearly wasn't good, but we needed to see him perform to make an final decision. You could have said that the houston game was all you needed, but his draft status and cost required a full look. Last week, i felt like i could move on from him because of his "spin his back to the line, scramble into a tackler and taking an intentional grounding near the endzone." it was a rookie move that showed no sign of progress. and what made it worse is that he got benched last year, and had a camp where he was constantly on the bubble. He knew he had to be better than that and he didn't show a single step towards being a consistent qb. Every qb on every team in the NFL can make some great plays at some point. the top 10 QBs do it with consistency.

Then this game, he fumbles for a td. That fumble was largely avoidable. he should have seen that guy coming the whole way. It wasn't a blind side hit. and frankly the term "slow eyes" was very evident before that play. you could see he was only looking in one direction and waiting for the receiver to make his break. And i think this also looks like an issue for tyrod as well. They aren't throwing to space. They are looking for open receivers then throwing. That's the difference between college and NFL. You aren't going to have a ton of plays with guys wide open. If you don't trust the play, you aren't ready to be a starter.

I was watching with a friend. At the end of the 1st half, i said, "ej needs to win this game to have a chance to ever be on the field as an NFL player after this game." And simply making it closer did him no favors. Maybe he plays in two weeks because of TT's injury, but this is his last season in the NFL. He had several butt fumble worthy moments this game.

2. The defense played well enough to win. they did not give up 14 of those points and gave up a TD when momentum was clearly sucked from them from the other two TDs. That's 21 points that largely isn't on their shoulders. They also got that goal line stuff and started turning the tide of momentum back. That being said, you can't give up an 89 yard drive to a team that you didn't give up a first down for 20 minuets. and you can't give up a long 8 minute drive to open the second half. even though they got the goal line stop, they didn't do enough to be elite. they have the pay structure to be top 5. not top 15.

3. The refs were terrible. period. But both ways. if it was reverse, and robert woods was on the opposition, i would have been angry at the TD. His foot looked mostly out of bounds. and it looked out of bounds by a mile at real time. Corey Graham's TD in reverse, i would have been angry if that TD stood with the interference on the WR who couldn't complete his route.

4. The Chris Gragg reception 4 yards out of bounds was embarassing. and it highlights how little attention to detail the team has. The snap in the wild cat that hit woods, the gragg throw, some of EJ's crazy inaccuracy, Hogan and clay had drops on catchable passes, shady's fumble at a critical point....other teams don't make so many killer mistakes so routinely. Even in the giants game, the bills did enough to win, but made too many mistakes. It's not getting better...and that is on the coaches. The players are not executing. And it's not one or two plays. It is on the coaches to figure this out and get it fixed.

5. Whaley has increased the talent level on this team over the past 3 years, but he's also gambled in a couple spots and they've all backfired on him. he went with EJ. and doubled down with Sammy to make EJ better. Those gambles will define him more so than building a roster with actual talent. I know it can be hard to say that when the team is imploding, but look back on the gaily/Jauron year. our best players were nobodies drafted late or not at all. Then our 1st rounders were garbage. So he changed that. On paper, we are competitive. But in execution, they are one of the worst teams in football. And that will define him.

I think he's on the hot seat this week. You don't lose to the jags who left for london on friday and your ownership spent to have the entire team there for a week. Personally, if whaley is a discussion of getting fired, you are best doing it now so that your new staff has this season to evaluate the current staff/players and has time to scout and assess what they want for the draft now. It's not a doom and gloom decision. it could be the right long term decision.

6. The Cowboys MNF game was the worst loss. And somehow when TD ran the TD back i thought we cowboy'd the jags. we had no business winning that game, but had the lead. Only the bills could blow it at the end.

7. This bills team isn't really likable. Some of the 2006-2011 teams were likable despite being bad. they fought all game. even the 2000 bills were fun despite the 3-13 record. The number of times they've been blown out in quarter 2-start of4 is pathetic. Pats, bengals, giants, tennesse, and jags. We've only played 7 games and 5 of them there were large gaps of nothing happening. they werent' entertaining. they didn't make plays, and they didn't get stops. I was hoping this brash rex team was going to be about taking no mercy and being a likable team and getting rid of the drought. and frankly, i don't think this team really seems worthy of being the team to stop the drought. I don't want the team that barely shows up and maybe squeaks out a few wins to only get blown out in the playoffs be the team that stops it. i want a firey team that still has a chance despite what the pundits say. This team is exactly what the pundits say. over-rated and a lot of applause without providing the show.
  • Discotrish
    Raging hypocrite and resident troll
    • Nov 2003

Re: my non-original thoughts from game

Who stands out of bounds and expects a pass to be thrown to him?

Who MAKES that pass?

Patti
    Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

precisely. i feel like i wouldn't have seen that happen in a high school game. lack of focus all around.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Discotrish View Post
        Who stands out of bounds and expects a pass to be thrown to him?
        Someone who doesn't realize he's out of bounds.

Originally posted by Discotrish View Post
        Who MAKES that pass?
        Any quarterback in the league could have thrown that pass. The quarterback doesn't have time to figure out if a receiver 20 yards away from him is out of bounds. That was his outlet throw, since he didn't think anything else was open and he saw that no one was covering the outlet receiver, he threw to him. That was not EJ's fault.

There is plenty of blame to go around for EJ, but that was on the receiver.

Comment

• ICRockets
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post

3. The refs were terrible. period. But both ways. if it was reverse, and robert woods was on the opposition, i would have been angry at the TD. His foot looked mostly out of bounds. and it looked out of bounds by a mile at real time. Corey Graham's TD in reverse, i would have been angry if that TD stood with the interference on the WR who couldn't complete his route.
          I choose to believe that Yahoo controlled replays for that game, and the resolution was so poor under the hood that the official couldn't tell one way or the other if his foot was inbounds.

Speaking of Woods and the refs, that "illegal peelback block" was absurd. A peel back block is apparently when a defender is blocked while running to his own endzone. An illegal peel back block is when someone who lined up inside the tackle box before the snap makes a peel back block below the waist from the side or the back.

Robert Woods qualified for absolutely zero of the required criteria for what made that block illegal. It didn't really affect the game in any tangible way, but what an abortion of a call that was.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
            I choose to believe that Yahoo controlled replays for that game, and the resolution was so poor under the hood that the official couldn't tell one way or the other if his foot was inbounds.

Speaking of Woods and the refs, that "illegal peelback block" was absurd. A peel back block is apparently when a defender is blocked while running to his own endzone. An illegal peel back block is when someone who lined up inside the tackle box before the snap makes a peel back block below the waist from the side or the back.

Robert Woods qualified for absolutely zero of the required criteria for what made that block illegal. It didn't really affect the game in any tangible way, but what an abortion of a call that was.
            It did affect the game, because Jax starting on their own 4 has to be concerned about a safety so it limits their deep drop options. Vs. a team that was in a blitz crazy mood, that can be a very meaningful series of downs. I don't know what the refs have against Robert Woods but he's been getting some seriously bizarre calls. He must be mouthing off or something because Marrone had a big problem with him too.

But as I said earlier. A team that commits three turnovers inside its own 40 loses the right to blame the loss on the refs.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post

letting the woods td stand just made me feel like yahoo's first streaming game required it to be a game and the refs didnt think it would hurt for that to stand.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                • Jul 2005

4. The Chris Gragg reception 4 yards out of bounds was embarassing. and it highlights how little attention to detail the team has. The snap in the wild cat that hit woods, the gragg throw, some of EJ's crazy inaccuracy, Hogan and clay had drops on catchable passes, shady's fumble at a critical point....other teams don't make so many killer mistakes so routinely. Even in the giants game, the bills did enough to win, but made too many mistakes. It's not getting better...and that is on the coaches. The players are not executing. And it's not one or two plays. It is on the coaches to figure this out and get it fixed.
                This was my number one concern going into the Rex Ryan experiment--lack of discipline. Listened to the Pats/Jets game on the radio yesterday afternoon (Pats broadcast), and the hosts couldn't get over how much 'smarter' this year's Jets played. They gave example after example of dumb stuff the Jets have done vs. the Pats in the past to torpedo various games. And remember that timeout thing that cost them the Packers game last year? Now we're seeing it. It's just a constant stream of little mistakes, penalties and missteps.

His leadership style is more William Wallace whipping up an unruly mob of Highlanders than regimented military precision. It may frequently work, but as his army is charging into battle at least a handful of them are running the wrong way, chopping up civilians, or stopping to root around in the chuck wagon.
                Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Jimkelly12203
                  • Jun 2015

Great OP. And your last point was the best. This is not a likeable team. They're undisciplined and play stupid. They have absolutely no self-control.
                  All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

Totally agree about how likable we are. I loath listening to Rex speak during post game pressers. It's the same BS every week yet nothing changes.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

The team would be a whole lot more likeable if they won.

People wouldn't care one iota about most of this stuff if they were winning.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

they could have won the jags and giants game with just slightly better execution and could be 5-2. i think the feeling would still be that they aren't likable and they don't have a model for long term success by making killer mistakes 5-15 times a game and then have a vanilla offense and a bend but don't break defense.

you can be the 2000 bills and take everyone to the mats and somehow still be in games against much more talented teams and only be 3-13. That team had moxy and seemed to care about the games.

I don't think this team is quite at "let's get the paycheck", but they don't really seem to care.

Comment

• Mike
                          • Jan 2009

1. I thought EJ got the short end of the stick last year and felt like we cut from him too early last year. He clearly wasn't good, but we needed to see him perform to make an final decision. You could have said that the houston game was all you needed, but his draft status and cost required a full look. Last week, i felt like i could move on from him because of his "spin his back to the line, scramble into a tackler and taking an intentional grounding near the endzone." it was a rookie move that showed no sign of progress. and what made it worse is that he got benched last year, and had a camp where he was constantly on the bubble. He knew he had to be better than that and he didn't show a single step towards being a consistent qb. Every qb on every team in the NFL can make some great plays at some point. the top 10 QBs do it with consistency.

Then this game, he fumbles for a td. That fumble was largely avoidable. he should have seen that guy coming the whole way. It wasn't a blind side hit. and frankly the term "slow eyes" was very evident before that play. you could see he was only looking in one direction and waiting for the receiver to make his break. And i think this also looks like an issue for tyrod as well. They aren't throwing to space. They are looking for open receivers then throwing. That's the difference between college and NFL. You aren't going to have a ton of plays with guys wide open. If you don't trust the play, you aren't ready to be a starter.

I was watching with a friend. At the end of the 1st half, i said, "ej needs to win this game to have a chance to ever be on the field as an NFL player after this game." And simply making it closer did him no favors. Maybe he plays in two weeks because of TT's injury, but this is his last season in the NFL. He had several butt fumble worthy moments this game.

2. The defense played well enough to win. they did not give up 14 of those points and gave up a TD when momentum was clearly sucked from them from the other two TDs. That's 21 points that largely isn't on their shoulders. They also got that goal line stuff and started turning the tide of momentum back. That being said, you can't give up an 89 yard drive to a team that you didn't give up a first down for 20 minuets. and you can't give up a long 8 minute drive to open the second half. even though they got the goal line stop, they didn't do enough to be elite. they have the pay structure to be top 5. not top 15.

5. Whaley has increased the talent level on this team over the past 3 years, but he's also gambled in a couple spots and they've all backfired on him. he went with EJ. and doubled down with Sammy to make EJ better. Those gambles will define him more so than building a roster with actual talent. I know it can be hard to say that when the team is imploding, but look back on the gaily/Jauron year. our best players were nobodies drafted late or not at all. Then our 1st rounders were garbage. So he changed that. On paper, we are competitive. But in execution, they are one of the worst teams in football. And that will define him.

I think he's on the hot seat this week. You don't lose to the jags who left for london on friday and your ownership spent to have the entire team there for a week. Personally, if whaley is a discussion of getting fired, you are best doing it now so that your new staff has this season to evaluate the current staff/players and has time to scout and assess what they want for the draft now. It's not a doom and gloom decision. it could be the right long term decision.

6. The Cowboys MNF game was the worst loss. And somehow when TD ran the TD back i thought we cowboy'd the jags. we had no business winning that game, but had the lead. Only the bills could blow it at the end.

7. This bills team isn't really likable. Some of the 2006-2011 teams were likable despite being bad. they fought all game. even the 2000 bills were fun despite the 3-13 record. The number of times they've been blown out in quarter 2-start of4 is pathetic. Pats, bengals, giants, tennesse, and jags. We've only played 7 games and 5 of them there were large gaps of nothing happening. they werent' entertaining. they didn't make plays, and they didn't get stops. I was hoping this brash rex team was going to be about taking no mercy and being a likable team and getting rid of the drought. and frankly, i don't think this team really seems worthy of being the team to stop the drought. I don't want the team that barely shows up and maybe squeaks out a few wins to only get blown out in the playoffs be the team that stops it. i want a firey team that still has a chance despite what the pundits say. This team is exactly what the pundits say. over-rated and a lot of applause without providing the show.

It's amazing to me that it took many of you guys this long to realize how bad EJ is. This was self evident from his 1st game. He was clearly out of his league and had no business being in the NFL.
                          Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
                            Great OP. And your last point was the best. This is not a likeable team. They're undisciplined and play stupid. They have absolutely no self-control.
                            The Bills are so hateable that even hardcore Bills fans don't like this team!
                            Please Make Sense

Comment

• Topas
                              German smartass
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              It's amazing to me that it took many of you guys this long to realize how bad EJ is. This was self evident from his 1st game. He was clearly out of his league and had no business being in the NFL.
                              Thats bull****. Revisionist history. P Manning sucked also during his first year. In retrospect it is easy to say you saw it from the beginning. Would have cut Manning also after the first season? And there are other examples. Eli is another example. He sucked big hairy gorilla balls in his first years. many said if he werent a first round pick he would have been benched way earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
                              His leadership style is more William Wallace whipping up an unruly mob of Highlanders than regimented military precision. It may frequently work, but as his army is charging into battle at least a handful of them are running the wrong way, chopping up civilians, or stopping to root around in the chuck wagon.
                              Great comparison. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X