PDA

View Full Version : Was Yesterday's Game The Worst Quarterback Performance In Bills History?

BillsImpossible
10-26-2015, 06:36 PM
EJ Manuel's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars was by far his poorest performance as an NFL quarterback.

Name's like Todd Collins, Billy Joe Hobert, and Alex Van Pelt crossed my mind but I can never remember any Buffalo Bills QB playing THAT bad.

Was yesterday's game against the, "London Jaguars," the worst quarterback performance you've ever seen as a Bills fan?

YardRat
10-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Hell, I remember Kelly having worse games than yesterday. Not just Super Bowls, either.

justasportsfan
10-26-2015, 06:47 PM
NO

BillsImpossible
10-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Hell, I remember Kelly having worse games than yesterday. Not just Super Bowls, either.

I remember Kelly playing poorly too, but he won.

- - - Updated - - -

NO

Name it.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Name it.

How's this for a slice of fried turd?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200512110buf.htm

BillsImpossible
10-26-2015, 07:27 PM

At least Losman didn't fumble the ball, and only got sacked twice against the Patriots.

EJ Manuel fumbled the ball twice (one got called back), got sacked four times, threw 2 interceptions, one for a pick six against the Jaguars.

Taken in to overall context, Manuel played worse than JP Losman did against the Pats back in 2005.

feldspar
10-26-2015, 07:30 PM
I'll say this much. It's gotta be the worst couple of few minutes of QB play in Bills history. Could be worse than two butt-fumbles in a row, possibly two-and-a-half if you can turn the other cheek.

Like I say, I'll give EJ credit for the relative poise he showed after those three series. He could have lost his **** at that point like many of us would, but he hung in there with determination and it became a game...a game we should have won in the end, really. I'd be proud of him for that at least if I were his mom...but of course I'm not his mom. I think he showed some character at any rate.

But no, it was really, really bad.

djjimkelly
10-26-2015, 07:51 PM
heres a nice game for you

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200112020sfo.htm

AVP the pilsbury dough boy in his prime

djjimkelly
10-26-2015, 07:52 PM
he led the team back to a lead lol

how could that be the worst performance

BillsImpossible
10-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Manuel's most horrible game against the Jaguars was like watching the culmination of bad quarterback play that has plagued the Bills since Jim Kelly retired.

2 interceptions, one being a pick six, 4 sacks, a fumble, and the most off target throws I've ever seen thrown by a Bills QB in my lifetime.

JP Losman was bad.

EJ Manuel is worse, the worst ever.

BertSquirtgum
10-26-2015, 07:56 PM
EJ Manuel's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars was by far his poorest performance as an NFL quarterback.

Name's like Todd Collins, Billy Joe Hobert, and Alex Van Pelt crossed my mind but I can never remember any Buffalo Bills QB playing THAT bad.

Was yesterday's game against the, "London Jaguars," the worst quarterback performance you've ever seen as a Bills fan?

Omg. How old are you? Jim Kelly made us want to drive to his house and ask him what the **** happened at times.

BertSquirtgum
10-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Manuel's most horrible game against the Jaguars was like watching the culmination of bad quarterback play that has plagued the Bills since Jim Kelly retired.

2 interceptions, one being a pick six, 4 sacks, a fumble, and the most off target throws I've ever seen thrown by a Bills QB in my lifetime.

JP Losman was bad.

EJ Manuel is worse, the worst ever.

This post is an overreacting idiot. Go get laid and take your anger out on her or him. Whatever your preference is. Sick of reading your crying about EJ.

BillsImpossible
10-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Omg. How old are you? Jim Kelly made us want to drive to his house and ask him what the **** happened at times.

I'm 30 something.

Kelly never had a problem hitting wide open receivers, and often won games even when he played like crap.

I think EJ Manuel just delivered the worst quarterback performance in Buffalo Bills history.

Ed
10-26-2015, 08:33 PM
I think the 2nd quarter of the game could possibly be the worst quarter a Bills qb has ever had, but even with the three straight turnovers he still finished the quarter with two scoring drives for 10 points. Worst overall performance ever though? No way, not even close.

Dr. Lecter
10-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Somebody never watched Mathison, Ferragamo or Dufek, all of whom had games that bad or worse on a week in/ week out basis.

I hate the level of stupid in some posts

Dr. Lecter
10-26-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm 30 something.

Kelly never had a problem hitting wide open receivers, and often won games even when he played like crap.

I think EJ Manuel just delivered the worst quarterback performance in Buffalo Bills history.

that's dumb and not even close.

Unless, of course, you ignore a number of years of Bills football.

Dr. Lecter
10-26-2015, 09:13 PM
Here's a game for Dufek:

15/35, 204 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs

One for Ferragamo

16/30, 150 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTs

And Mathison
10/24, 188 yards, 0 TDs, 3 INTs.

swiper
10-27-2015, 03:04 AM
EJ Manuel is worse than Gary Marangi and Joe Dufek combined.

Mike
10-27-2015, 03:43 AM
Inside the NFL talked briefly about 'EJs performance in Historical Terms'
~ None of the Hosts could remember a time in history where a QB committed 3 turnovers including a pick 6, in course of 6plays that took about 2:30min.

This was Historically Bad...

k-oneputt
10-27-2015, 05:32 AM
EJ's problem is he can't handle pressure. By that I mean mentally. You noticed after he lost the game in that five minute span the pressure was off, thus he relaxed and played much better. Nobody expected much at that point and the Jax defense started giving him a lot of underneath stuff.
Jax is the worst team in the league and by being that almost let the Bills off the hook.

k-oneputt
10-27-2015, 05:36 AM
Marrone must have been laughing his ass off.
Gameplan: "Coach just blitz the **** out of him. Just keep bringing it and the pipes will burst."

BOBM253
10-27-2015, 07:49 AM
After EJ's fumble I was mad. After the pick six I was really mad. After the interception to the Poz, I was shocked and then felt really sorry for EJ. My anger turned to sympathy as I thought how much this must have hurt and humiliated him. Thought the best thing for him was to be pulled from the game for his own sanity. He looked devastated. However, kudos for him battling back and giving it his all. He may not be the best QB but have to give him props for hanging in there after that terrible terrible series of plays. He showed a lot of courage to fight back like he did.

Albany,n.y.
10-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Gary Marangi 11/7/76 15/34 241 4 Ints and a fumble on NE's 1 yard line.

Victor7
10-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Worst game ever ? No. For all the crap he did he actually played a much better 2nd half. He still screwed up the last drive but whatever.

Worst quarter ? For sure. If you left the game to go take a crap and took 5 mins you would've come back to see a game that was 7-3 quickly move to 27-3. That takes an epic performance. It was epic bad.

Anyway its pointless to debate if its the worst or second worst or third worst. It was amazingly bad and singlehandedly lost the game.

Forward_Lateral
10-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Not even close to the worst. I'd say 90% of J.P. Losmans games were worse than Sunday.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Marrone must have been laughing his ass off.
Gameplan: "Coach just blitz the **** out of him. Just keep bringing it and the pipes will burst."

IT wasn't the blitz, it was the recognition that Manuel can only consistently hit curls or routes right in front of him. So they jumped those routes and took the INTs. Later in the game, Manuel FINALLY started looking deep where the space was and got some deep throws into the vacated areas, but the damage was done.

Mr. Pink
10-27-2015, 10:20 AM
Inside the NFL talked briefly about 'EJs performance in Historical Terms'
~ None of the Hosts could remember a time in history where a QB committed 3 turnovers including a pick 6, in course of 6plays that took about 2:30min.

This was Historically Bad...

Of course they can't. Just like fans can't remember anything from the past either. Whatever great/terrible performance they see on any given sunday is the best performance or worst performance ever. NFL history routinely gets ignored in those type of conversations.

It's why we hear stupid crap like that spouted off by the media and then get threads like this.

sukie
10-27-2015, 10:26 AM
How bad was Bledsoe in that Pittsburgh 3rd strniger game in a win your in scenario?

Yasgur's Farm
10-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Hell, I remember Kelly having worse games than yesterday. Not just Super Bowls, either.True... 1 game vs Bengals Kelly threw 4 INT's in the 1st quarter... Brought Bills back to victory just like EJ almost did. QBR of 75.3 is far, far from worst performance... Tell the lynch mob to stand down.

Bill Cody
10-27-2015, 10:48 AM
It was a very bad quarter

gebobs
10-27-2015, 11:22 AM
If we're including ancient history, Kemp had games like that regularly. Out of 86 games played...

* 18 games with 3+ INTs
* 27 games with 2+ more picks than TDs.
* 9 games with QBR of 20-
* 29 games with QBR of 40-
* 25 games with Comp% <40%
* 12 games with adjusted YPA <0

:-) I know...different era and all. I just find it amusing how we forget how brutal he as as a passer. Yes, I also know I'm a broken record about it.

As regards the discussion of Kelly. No doubt. He left us scratching our heads at times with some pretty lousy performances. If only the Bills could have rescheduled their games so that they weren't after a party night. But the thing is with Kelly, it was only the case because the bar was so high. And sure, you can pick out some real stinkers, especially later in a career that spanned nearly 180 games, and against competition that ould leave EJ cowering in a fetal position. Even on his worst days, Kelly wasn't regularly dumping balls into the dirt or overthrowing by 10 yards.

Manuel has only played in 17 games (not including the 2 this year where he handed the ball off a few times). He's had a few good games and a lot of stinkers. Yesterday was bad but might not even be HIS worst. See the game against the 3-9 Bucs in December '13.

k-oneputt
10-27-2015, 11:27 AM
IT wasn't the blitz, it was the recognition that Manuel can only consistently hit curls or routes right in front of him. So they jumped those routes and took the INTs. Later in the game, Manuel FINALLY started looking deep where the space was and got some deep throws into the vacated areas, but the damage was done.

Blitz/Pressure call it what you like.
Anything that puts EJ into a quick decision will result in bad plays. Turnovers, bouncing pass, airmails he has them all in his arsenal of bad.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Blitz/Pressure call it what you like.
Anything that puts EJ into a quick decision will result in bad plays. Turnovers, bouncing pass, airmails he has them all in his arsenal of bad.

:rofl: "arsenal of bad" Perfect description

Mike
10-28-2015, 04:08 AM
Of course they can't. Just like fans can't remember anything from the past either. Whatever great/terrible performance they see on any given sunday is the best performance or worst performance ever. NFL history routinely gets ignored in those type of conversations.

It's why we hear stupid crap like that spouted off by the media and then get threads like this.

I think EJ actually made history.
I don't think any other QB has turned the ball over 3 times -2 of which went to the house- in 6 plays over 2:30. It's easily the worst 6 plays a QB has ever had.

Yasgur's Farm
10-28-2015, 06:01 AM
2014 vs Bills... Geno Smith 2 of 8 with 3 int's an a QB rating of 0.0 before he was pulled in the 1st quarter.

djjimkelly
10-28-2015, 09:47 AM
If we're including ancient history, Kemp had games like that regularly. Out of 86 games played...

* 18 games with 3+ INTs
* 27 games with 2+ more picks than TDs.
* 9 games with QBR of 20-
* 29 games with QBR of 40-
* 25 games with Comp% <40%
* 12 games with adjusted YPA <0

:-) I know...different era and all. I just find it amusing how we forget how brutal he as as a passer. Yes, I also know I'm a broken record about it.

As regards the discussion of Kelly. No doubt. He left us scratching our heads at times with some pretty lousy performances. If only the Bills could have rescheduled their games so that they weren't after a party night. But the thing is with Kelly, it was only the case because the bar was so high. And sure, you can pick out some real stinkers, especially later in a career that spanned nearly 180 games, and against competition that ould leave EJ cowering in a fetal position. Even on his worst days, Kelly wasn't regularly dumping balls into the dirt or overthrowing by 10 yards.

Manuel has only played in 17 games (not including the 2 this year where he handed the ball off a few times). He's had a few good games and a lot of stinkers. Yesterday was bad but might not even be HIS worst. See the game against the 3-9 Bucs in December '13.

i just had a flash back to that bucs game. lol that might be the least eventful game i have ever watched. at least the browns 6-3 game was a defensive struggle

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291011002

trent had quite the game that day. and derek anderson may have a case for worst QB performance EVER

gebobs
10-28-2015, 01:48 PM
I don't think any other QB has turned the ball over 3 times -2 of which went to the house- in 6 plays over 2:30. It's easily the worst 6 plays a QB has ever had.

Right on. Worst game by a Bills QB? No. This sorry franchise has performances like that in spades.

But it just might be the worst quarter ever. Congratulations, EJ. Here's your prize.

http://rymimg.com/lk/l/w/a9232f1a1f33e58ab3e0f7c4cc9cc95e/547825.jpg

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2015, 01:53 PM
That's so generous of you to give up your most prized trophy.

stuckincincy
10-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Kelly's crap performance in their 1st SB appearance stands out. 18 of 32 for 212 yards...the yards made fat by a pass to Lofton for 61 yards. TOP won by NYG, 40 vs. 20 minutes.

gebobs
10-28-2015, 02:52 PM
That's so generous of you to give up your most prized trophy.

Nah. The garage is brimming over. I've had to rent a storage space. I can't give them away fast enough.

Mace
10-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Ferguson was 10/28 for 110 yards 0 td's and 6 int's in '74, but he ran for 15 inches on 5 attempts. He was 12 of 28 for 140 yards as a polished vet in '82, with 0 td's and 5 int's but managed to "run" once for 7 yards. No good records on sacks or gamelogs back then, but he had pretty decent lines in front of him, good backs and decent receivers and had to work for his periods of terrible.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-30-2015, 06:54 AM

Worst 6 plays by a Bills QB ever? Absolutely. Worst total game by a Bills QB ever? Nope.

Cleve
10-30-2015, 07:29 AM

LOL - I'd tried to forget that one. Beyond bad performance by Loseman.

But the quality of the opposition is a huge factor in evaluating QB performance. When a QB has a bad game against a terrible opponent, like Manuel did in London, it's really bad. I only saw the 1st quarter and part of the 2nd due to streaming issues, and Manuel looked awful. Underthrows, overthrows, poor decision making, happy-feet, deer in the headlights demeanor..... he looked like a below average backup QB, certainly not what anyone would imagine a 1st Round Draft Pick QB should look like, ESPECIALLY in his 3rd NFL season.

Historian
10-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Check out 1971.

I believe we were shut out four times.

gebobs
10-30-2015, 03:36 PM
Check out 1971.

I believe we were shut out four times.

Oh gawd...Dennis Shaw was brutal. But just another clown among many in the history of Bills QBs.

Yasgur's Farm
10-30-2015, 04:16 PM
Funny though... Dennis Shaw won rookie of the year.

Mace
10-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Funnier still, Shaw was one of the first I thought of, but looking back at his gamelogs I found he was more consistently not good, with some bad sprinkled in, without any real standout terrible jumping out at you. I thought he was terrible back then, but my standards of terrible have been refined by decades of being a Bills fan. Honestly, a lot of those I considered terrible back then were merely not good to simply inadequate.

Ah, the good old days when simply inadequate was a better standard of terrible...