X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

Opinion: Why Doug Marrone Really Quit

Many of you were very sour, hurt, offended, etc when Doug quit (personally I don't know why you felt that way, I was happy because he was a marginal at best)

But it made perfect sense!

The Bills mustered an impressive 9-7 season thanks to two major reasons, one of which was gone! The Bills D playing at an elite level and Kyle Orton playing sound football got the Bills to 9-7.

As soon as Orton retired, Marrone knew exactly what he was in for: EJ Manual...
    And Games like this past Sunday. When you lose the turnover battle it's hard enough to win, when your QB spots the other team 21pts it's nearly impossible!

Whaley's major, epic fail is in Drafting & forcing EJ Manual on the coaches. Even during the interview process, prospective coaches were made aware that the franchise had a QB in EJ and wanted to know how the new coach would use him.

Clearly, Whaley is trying to save face regarding a huge reach at QB... Marrone was smart enough to get out of the way. You can't fault him for that.
    Last edited by Mike; 10-27-2015, 04:07 AM.
    Please Make Sense
  • GreedoII
    • Aug 2007

Re: Opinion: Why Doug Marrone Really Quit

I can believe that...but he was the coach when they drafted him so was he ever onboard at all? The Watkins move is what set him off I read.

Comment

• Topas
      German smartass
      • Feb 2014

Really, the Watkins move? Trading future assets for current benefits is usually good for the coach in this 'what have you done for me lately'-business...
      Might be true, but I would think that is rather unlikely. Maybe it was rather because Whaley, in general, does not listen to the coach at all while drafting. I doubt that the Watkins move was the major problem.

Comment

• Mike
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
        I can believe that...but he was the coach when they drafted him so was he ever onboard at all? The Watkins move is what set him off I read.
        GM is responsible for getting the right players; they get the ingredients. The Coaches are there to 'coach' and cook those ingredients into a delicious soup as Bill Parcels use to say.

Often times coaches try to get ultimate power and be both GM & Coach kinda like Chip Kelly is currently and Bill Parcels use to be.

Marrone was simply a coach who clearly disagreed with the ingredients he was given to such an extent that he threatened to resign and finally did.
        Please Make Sense

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          GM is responsible for getting the right players; they get the ingredients. The Coaches are there to 'coach' and cook those ingredients into a delicious soup as Bill Parcels use to say.

Often times coaches try to get ultimate power and be both GM & Coach kinda like Chip Kelly is currently and Bill Parcels use to be.

Marrone was simply a coach who clearly disagreed with the ingredients he was given to such an extent that he threatened to resign and finally did.
          I disagree, I think Marrone was worried about his long term job security under a new owner. So he asked for an extension and was denied, fearing that he might not end up a HC long term he elected to bolt sooner, on his terms, versus the teams. Also he might have had some issues/concerns over personnel decisions as it seems evident that Ryan has more say in the current roster with sprinkles of guys he likes like former Jets, kids who went to Clemson/Oklahoma on the current roster.

Comment

• mdcas22
            the mouth of the south
            • Aug 2015

it isn't that hard to figure out fellow's. Marrone and Whaley didn't see eye too eye when it came to talent and players, he wanted more power the owner said no and with a 4 million dollar clause in his contract that was a joke to begin with he took the money and ran. Alot of fan's didn't like Marrone but he was a disciplinary something Rex is not. this alone will take down what little talent we have in the next 3 years and Rex will be out the door. Marrone did a great job with less talent and I can't help to wonder what kind of record we would have with this roster and that coaching staff. remember Schwartz would still be here. Of coarse I'd want to swap o-cords in the process.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

Maybe Whaley told Marrone he wasn't going to re-sign Spiller and was going to trade for McCoy.

And Marrone responded, "Excellent, I can run him up the middle on every play!"

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Jets are breathing a double sigh of relief these days.

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

Marrone wanted a contract extension, and he was told no.

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                  • Apr 2005

I think he felt that as long as Whaley was in power , he'd be fighting a battle going up hill. He realized early on that EJ wasn't serviceable and hated the Watkins pick. A totally different philosophy then Whaleys and he saw an opportunity to get out and did. .

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                    • Jul 2002

I'm sure Whaley is as through with EJ as everybody else. It took a firm slap in the face in London to get him there, but he knows it's over for EJ. Lucky for him that Cassel played pretty bad against the Giants.
                    Even though Whaley got his way with EJ, he wasn't crazy and let Rex Ryan bring in the QB Rex wanted. No matter what you think of him, Tyrod Taylor was the best QB the Bills could have obtained in this offseason. That's all Rex Ryan. Imagine where we'd be if the 2 QBs on the roster were Cassel & EJ.
                    No matter how well Tyrod plays, the Bills will have to draft a QB in the 1st 3 rounds-provided one is worthy. There's no reason to draft one if there's nobody available worth the pick-that's what EJ was. A bad pick in the worst QB draft since 2007.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • May 2009

Marrone left because he is a big fat pussy and knew he couldn't hackett with his pet boy.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                        • Aug 2013

EJ is not our starting QB

Comment

• djjimkelly
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Many of you were very sour, hurt, offended, etc when Doug quit (personally I don't know why you felt that way, I was happy because he was a marginal at best)

But it made perfect sense!

The Bills mustered an impressive 9-7 season thanks to two major reasons, one of which was gone! The Bills D playing at an elite level and Kyle Orton playing sound football got the Bills to 9-7.

As soon as Orton retired, Marrone knew exactly what he was in for: EJ Manual...
                          And Games like this past Sunday. When you lose the turnover battle it's hard enough to win, when your QB spots the other team 21pts it's nearly impossible!

Whaley's major, epic fail is in Drafting & forcing EJ Manual on the coaches. Even during the interview process, prospective coaches were made aware that the franchise had a QB in EJ and wanted to know how the new coach would use him.

Clearly, Whaley is trying to save face regarding a huge reach at QB... Marrone was smart enough to get out of the way. You can't fault him for that.

so LOL your trying to tell me marrone said **** this job that only 32 jobs like this exist in the world.

BECAUSE OF EJ LMFAO.

so your basically saying in early january DOUG knew we have no chance of getting a different QB from FA TRADE or the DRAFT

what a rich view point lol

EJ is truly to blame for all lol.

**** EJ at this point. i could care less who is the eventual long term starter but to say someone left because we had 1 QB on the roster with a whole offseason ahead is beyond laughable

and we had an elite defense to boot LOL

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

marrone had the same issue that rex has. his offense was horrid. to revise orton's career as servicable is a joke. he relied on some circus catches at the end of games to win vs detroit and minnesota. he lost to oakland and kc.

he sucked. and the offense had the same three and out issues and unservicable line play. Kyle orton was awful.

And marrone passed on his guy nassib to get EJ. he can't say he didn't approve the pick. maybe he realized it wasn't going to get better, but he is the coach. you picked the guy as a project, you have to coach him up. you can't bail from him that early when you were involved.

Rex can run the otherway from EJ. he inherited him and can say, "this doesn't work i don't have the time."

marrone was a coward who underacheived at 9-7. he had a defensive unit that needed such minimal effort to win and he didn't do it.

to recharacterize marrone as some wiz who was here and escaped before it got bad it utterly laughable

Comment

• Victor7
                              • Jul 2013

I think it was a combination of factors. All of them already posted throughout the thread.

He was probably not seeing eye to eye with that ******* Whaley. There were reports that he stormed out of the Bills war room after the SW pick.

He had the 4 mill buy out which is huge. At the time you might also remember lots of idiot media guys like Rapaport and Shefter were pimping him like the 2nd coming of Bill Walsh and saying there was interest all over the map for him. That had to play into his decision to quit. It of course needed up being smoke and he landed nothing but a ****ty OL job with the worst team in the game.

The owner change happened and understandably so not being TPegs hire he might've though I'm out the door lets get an extension which he didn't get.

A combination of factors IMO. But whatever it was he's a ****ing fat ***** quitter who's not that good anyway. Our 9-7 record from last year is a mirage given the 9th win was vs the Pats depth chart and most other wins are more of a product of Schwartz defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X