PDA

View Full Version : Golden Era of Quarterbacks, 'Coming To End.'

BillsImpossible
11-03-2015, 07:29 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/03/nfl-golden-era-tom-brady-peyton-manning

"Six future Hall of Famers are in action every Sunday. Enjoy it while we have it. It might not be long before talents akin to Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are winning Super Bowls again."

BuffaloRedleg
11-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Brady will continue to play well until each and everyone one of us on this forum are dead.

Ed
11-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Bring it on. I'm tired of the qb position being the be-all and end-all to a teams success. The league would probably be more fun if everyone had mediocre qbs.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Nobody ever remembers poor Matt Ryan :rofl:

Albany,n.y.
11-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Brady will continue to play well until each and everyone one of us on this forum are dead.

They said the same thing about Ralph. I'm 24 years older than Brady & I plan to dance on his grave.

gebobs
11-04-2015, 08:49 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/nov/03/nfl-golden-era-tom-brady-peyton-manning"Six future Hall of Famers are in action every Sunday. Enjoy it while we have it. It might not be long before talents akin to Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are winning Super Bowls again."

Thus the genius of Whaley.

BuffaloRedleg
11-04-2015, 02:44 PM
They said the same thing about Ralph. I'm 24 years older than Brady & I plan to dance on his grave.

But he has a guru though

Mr. Pink
11-04-2015, 03:15 PM
And other QBs will replace them.

Matty Ice, Andy Dalton, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Ryan Tannehill, just to name a few all have quite a few years of playing to go.

While none of those guys have the same resume as Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Drew Brees, it's not like they're outright bums.

Victor7
11-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Yup

The farming system or college as we all know it has been going with the spread, quick option, read offenses over the pro-like systems a lot more lately. That has produced a long line of **** NFL quarterbacks. Seriously look at the guys that are good. They are older players. Manning and Brady are 38+, Eli, Ben, Aaron, Rivers and Brees are all over 30 as well.

The only decent young QB is Luck and even he's playing like **** lately. The Wilson's, Tannys, Dalton's and Cam's of the world will never be half as good as those other guys. They can be figured out much easier.

Until somebody figures out how to stop college teams from playing the QB position with athletes instead of passers the trend will continue.

BuffaloRedleg
11-04-2015, 05:18 PM

Matty Ice, Andy Dalton, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Ryan Tannehill, just to name a few all have quite a few years of playing to go.

While none of those guys have the same resume as Tom Brady/Peyton Manning/Drew Brees, it's not like they're outright bums.

They are compared to those guys though.

Wilson is the only person on that list who has even sniffed a SB. Tannehill can barely beat the Bills once out of every 5 tries, let alone dominate us for a decade.

Maybe one day good defense and running the ball will come back.

BuffaloRedleg
11-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Yup

The farming system or college as we all know it has been going with the spread, quick option, read offenses over the pro-like systems a lot more lately. That has produced a long line of **** NFL quarterbacks. Seriously look at the guys that are good. They are older players. Manning and Brady are 38+, Eli, Ben, Aaron, Rivers and Brees are all over 30 as well.

The only decent young QB is Luck and even he's playing like **** lately. The Wilson's, Tannys, Dalton's and Cam's of the world will never be half as good as those other guys. They can be figured out much easier.

Until somebody figures out how to stop college teams from playing the QB position with athletes instead of passers the trend will continue.

That might be good for the league though. The playing field hasn't been level for 15 years, despite the NFLs attempts at parity.

The Patriots have sort of set the bar way too high for 99% of teams to achieve. They are an outlier that has haunted us for a long time.

BillsImpossible
11-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Anyone see Chad Kelly play last week?

He's putting up some damn good numbers.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/534580/chad-kelly

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/sec/2015-ole-miss-rebels-football-schedule.php

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DTHKxUq2bE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YardRat
11-04-2015, 08:13 PM
I've been following Kelly all season...he has all of the tools, a rocket arm, and just enough 'stupid' to make things exciting and interesting. If he can continue to improve and stay out of trouble, mature a little bit as he goes along, he's going to be a very high pick and at least a decent pro. I like the kid from Memphis too.

BillsOwnAll
11-04-2015, 08:39 PM

None of those guys control the game to the likes of Manning brady and rodgers.

It was a good run for Qbs but with college the way it is now itll be far and few between.

YardRat
11-05-2015, 05:46 AM
Even Rodgers isn't in the same class as Manning and Brady. They are the only two QB's, maybe in the entire Super Bowl era, that can actually carry a team on their own.

Victor7
11-05-2015, 09:37 AM
That might be good for the league though. The playing field hasn't been level for 15 years, despite the NFLs attempts at parity.

The Patriots have sort of set the bar way too high for 99% of teams to achieve. They are an outlier that has haunted us for a long time.

Yes and no.

Once all the great ones go. We will all have a bunch of average non great guys. So it will be parity. Just the meh type.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2015, 10:12 AM
They are compared to those guys though.

Wilson is the only person on that list who has even sniffed a SB. Tannehill can barely beat the Bills once out of every 5 tries, let alone dominate us for a decade.

Maybe one day good defense and running the ball will come back.

The thing is once these guys all retire, Brady, Manning, Brees...someone will have to step up and take the reigns. Guys like Roethlisberger, Rodgers and Ryan will still be around and players like Wilson, Tannehill, Newton, Dalton will have even more seasoning and the gap will be lessened.

If we go 10 years from now and Wilson has 2 more Superbowl titles or even appearances, then he gets thrust into that conversation of being the best in the game. Dalton shakes his playoff jitters and gets to one and wins, he sheds his playoff choker label and gets thrust into that conversation.

John Elway was an afterthought almost in the late 80s as he was losing 3 Superbowls in 4 years but once he won one, he got all kinds of accolades.

I will agree that we won't see a guy like Brady constantly dominating the league in both winning and stat compiling for a long time after he retires. But the guys like Brees, Manning-either, Rodgers, Rivers always dot the QB landscape...even if they don't always win. Go back 20 years ago, Favre, Bledsoe, Moon, Marino, Everett. 30 years ago, Elway, Marino, Fouts, Esiason, Theismann.

Running the ball and good defense as a means of sustained winning has long been dead.

OpIv37
11-05-2015, 12:15 PM
I don't care what it means for the overall level of QB play in the league. I'll be celebrating the day Tom Brady's career of cheating and whining is over. I'd kneecap the ***** today if I wasn't too busy to go to jail.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-05-2015, 12:47 PM
If we go 10 years from now and Wilson has 2 more Superbowl titles or even appearances, then he gets thrust into that conversation of being the best in the game. Dalton shakes his playoff jitters and gets to one and wins, he sheds his playoff choker label and gets thrust into that conversation.

Right, the author and many viewers are comparing the entire career of HOF caliber QBs to guys who are still young and starting out. Aside from Brady and Roethlisberger, who had early playoff success, even most of these QBs were dogged when they were younger and people pined for the days of Montana, Marino, Kelly, Aikman, etc.

Eli Manning was so inconsistent he nearly got himself benched and his coach fired in the same year he went on to upend the Patriots.

Brees strugged so hard they used a top 5 pick on his replacement and let him walk in free agency with what most thought was a devastating shoulder injury.

It was never guaranteed that we'd be looking at a glut of QB talent in the early 2010s