PDA

View Full Version : Why is EJ still on the team ??

Skooby
11-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Never been a fan of the guy but when someone loses their composure several times a game then why bother keeping him around ?? EJ will never be a starter in the NFL & he's a terrible back-up option, why is he still on the team ?

Night Train
11-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Comedy relief.

swiper
11-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Same old Skooby. You really expect them to just cut him? Then what?

When Geno Smith got hurt last game, with Fitz already out, you could hear a collective gasp out of the NYC area. There's really no one sitting around waiting to suit up out there. Unless you're a fan of a Rex Grossman, Kevin Kolb or, say, Kyle Orton. Maybe you want them to call Jeff Garcia? LOL. Earl Morrall died last year, so he's out.

Skooby
11-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Same old Skooby. You really expect them to just cut him? Then what?

When Geno Smith got hurt last game, with Fitz already out, you could hear a collective gasp out of the NYC area. There's really no one sitting around waiting to suit up out there. Unless you're a fan of a Rex Grossman, Kevin Kolb or, say, Kyle Orton. Maybe you want them to call Jeff Garcia? LOL. Earl Morrall died last year, so he's out.

Watching EJ drop back scares the **** out of me, maybe you guys like variables or horror stories but I'm out. I don't trust this guy and feel he's good for ****. Let's cut bait and use his roster spot for someone that might produce, not reduce.

swiper
11-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Are you accusing me of being an EJ fan?

Joe Fo Sho
11-04-2015, 08:27 AM
So you think Josh Johnson is a better backup option right now?

You can't be serious.

Albany,n.y.
11-04-2015, 08:35 AM
EJ's still on the team for several reasons:
Buddy Nix is out of the league, so there was nobody stupid enough to offer the Bills anything before yesterday's trade deadline came & went.
There's no cap relief this year by cutting him, so they kept him around.
Doug Whaley is his father.

Mr. Miyagi
11-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Watching EJ drop back scares the **** out of me, maybe you guys like variables or horror stories but I'm out. I don't trust this guy and feel he's good for ****. Let's cut bait and use his roster spot for someone that might produce, not reduce.
No question about that, but I'd rather have him who at least has been on the team and is familiar with the offense, then some guy off the street who are journeyman backups anyway.

GreedoII
11-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Never been a fan of the guy but when someone loses their composure several times a game then why bother keeping him around ?? EJ will never be a starter in the NFL & he's a terrible back-up option, why is he still on the team ?

Because Russ Brandon/Doug Whaley are trying to still justify their mistake for drafting him (Brandon/Nix) then giving away a 1st rd for Watkins to help him(Whaley)

Russ Brandon is the biggest A-hole going. Putting lipstick on a pig for 15 yrs running....that's next years slogan

Mr. Pink
11-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Why is any QB on the roster?

None of them are any good.

Stupid thread.

sdbillsfan2
11-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Whaley admitted he was integral in selecting EJ ...so why look any further http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204027/article/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick

EricStratton
11-04-2015, 11:31 AM
The last time I was in Home Depot there wasn't a shelf with NFL QB's sitting there waiting to be picked out.

Maybe I should have gone to Lowes.

That's why he's still on the team.

Is there a team in the NFL right now with a great back-up quarterback just waiting for his chance?

Forward_Lateral
11-04-2015, 11:36 AM
I've never been a huge EJ fan, but cutting him now would be dumber than when they drafted him.

Mahdi
11-04-2015, 11:44 AM
EJ showed he can play. He will obviously make mistakes but he can also make plays. Sounds like a backup to me.

I still think EJ has room for growth considering he has been handled so poorly since getting drafted. This is the first year where you can see progression.

OpIv37
11-04-2015, 11:44 AM

This is just dumb. As bad as EJ is, there are no better options mid season. EJ is cheap and knows the system. We are stuck with him for the year at least, so get over it.

streetkings01
11-04-2015, 11:48 AM
I'm starting to wish McCown had signed here in the offseason. He'd be a great #2 for us right about now *sigh*

Skooby
11-04-2015, 12:11 PM
No question about that, but I'd rather have him who at least has been on the team and is familiar with the offense, then some guy off the street who are journeyman backups anyway.

Even if the journeyman takes sacks but doesn't fumble we'd be better off, so the logic is over my head. Would you have considered Orton a Journeyman ?

Victor7
11-04-2015, 04:02 PM
EJ showed he can play. He will obviously make mistakes but he can also make plays. Sounds like a backup to me.

I still think EJ has room for growth considering he has been handled so poorly since getting drafted. This is the first year where you can see progression.

hmmm.....

What ?

sudzy
11-04-2015, 04:36 PM
The Bills have to pay him, whether he's on the team or not. So, I get why he's still on the team. But, I would have him so far down the depth chart, that he would have to buy a ticket to get within sight of the field.

Mahdi
11-05-2015, 08:40 AM
hmmm.....

What ?

I think you have to understand high level sports in order to understand where EJ is in his development.

EJ has never been given the opportunity to just go out and feel comfortable making errors, comfortable to throw downfield and take risks and evaluate the outcomes. EJ himself doesn't know what he is capable of. He has never really been given an open game plan and told to go out on the field and just play.

For an athlete that is a stage of development they all have to cross. EJ threw those INTs because that might have been the first game where he actually was allowed to go out and run the full game plan and make several reads. So yeah, he threw some bad balls.

That being said, he threw some very nice passes, made some good 2nd and 3rd reads, and showed accuracy at times.

I think EJ is still a long way from his max potential and if he ever gets a real opportunity to play QB he will have a lot of development potential remaining.

Yasgur's Farm
11-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Welcome to our "know nothing about football" club Mahdi.. If you're not a hater, you're a lover.

Sarcasm off... Nice write up.

Skooby
11-05-2015, 09:10 AM
I think you have to understand high level sports in order to understand where EJ is in his development.

EJ has never been given the opportunity to just go out and feel comfortable making errors, comfortable to throw downfield and take risks and evaluate the outcomes. EJ himself doesn't know what he is capable of. He has never really been given an open game plan and told to go out on the field and just play.

For an athlete that is a stage of development they all have to cross. EJ threw those INTs because that might have been the first game where he actually was allowed to go out and run the full game plan and make several reads. So yeah, he threw some bad balls.

That being said, he threw some very nice passes, made some good 2nd and 3rd reads, and showed accuracy at times.

I think EJ is still a long way from his max potential and if he ever gets a real opportunity to play QB he will have a lot of development potential remaining.

He's a clueless F-up, giving games away isn't a player trait you keep on your team. You'd think they would of at least handed the ball off a few times to give him some relief as well but right back on the frying pan & he burned us several times over.

Victor7
11-05-2015, 09:25 AM

I think you have to understand basic football 101 to realize that EJ Manuel absolutely sucks.

That whole post is nothing but delusion from an EJ fan. Unbelievable.

Skooby
11-05-2015, 09:28 AM
I think you have to understand basic football 101 to realize that EJ Manuel absolutely sucks.

Worst QB in the league backup or starter, no idea what we're doing or why he's still here. Knowing the system doesn't justify losing us games.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Worst QB in the league backup or starter, no idea what we're doing or why he's still here. Knowing the system doesn't justify losing us games.

Statements like this are simply asinine.

The Cowboys alone have two QBs that are worse than EJ...Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel.

Don't even tell me you'd rather have either of them here instead.

Skooby
11-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Statements like this are simply asinine.

The Cowboys alone have two QBs that are worse than EJ...Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel.

Don't even tell me you'd rather have either of them here instead.

Cassel was listed 2nd on our depth chart and Weeden won some games before as well, I think it's a coin toss.

Mahdi
11-05-2015, 10:53 AM

I could care less about EJ let alone being a fan. I'm just talking about athletes in general. IMO EJ has more development ahead. You don't agree that's fine.

swiper
11-05-2015, 11:08 AM
French Canadians -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-byGu8Fqnj0w/TapXEcwDAtI/AAAAAAAACYM/nZ4nJM2Q6os/s1600/nose%252Bcorn%252BJr.JPG

Bill Cody
11-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Cassel was listed 2nd on our depth chart and Weeden won some games before as well, I think it's a coin toss.

EJ is better than both of those guys. Both Weeden and Cassel have 0% upside, what you see is what you get. I actually think EJ is improving but the improvement isn't linear. He's still very inconsistent but he's also still pretty inexperienced, so far the end results have been mediocre not horrendous. People like Mitch go from starting threads like "EJ will bounce back next week" to "EJ should be off the team" based on one horrible quarter, it's overkill.

Albany,n.y.
11-05-2015, 02:54 PM

I've seen posts like this before: Just take a post from 7-8 years ago, copy, put it in Word, find JP, replace with EJ and presto, a 7-8 year old post is relevant again in 2015 in the poster's mind.

EJ, I mean JP, reached his development potential in the UFL, but unfortunately sucked again in the NFL. Too bad there's no UFL for EJ to win a title.

Victor7
11-05-2015, 04:28 PM
I could care less about EJ let alone being a fan. I'm just talking about athletes in general. IMO EJ has more development ahead. You don't agree that's fine.

I don't think so. What could he develop ?? He has poor accuracy and decision making. You cant really learn either of those. Specially accuracy.

But like you said. We'll agree to disagree then.

swiper
11-05-2015, 04:56 PM
I don't think so. What could he develop ?? He has poor accuracy and decision making. You cant really learn either of those. Specially accuracy.

But like you said. We'll agree to disagree then.

He's poor at absolutely everything.

BertSquirtgum
11-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Why am I still reading skooby's ******ed threads?

elltrain22
11-06-2015, 12:10 PM
EJ's still on the team for several reasons:

Doug Whaley is his father.

Only one reason IMO

Bill Cody
11-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Only one reason IMO

Johnny Manziel had 32 yards in the second half last night against the Bengals. There are a TON of mediocre or worse signal callers in the league. EJ is not the worst.

Yasgur's Farm
11-06-2015, 02:14 PM
That's a good point Cody...

Vs Bengals...
JM 45.5% 168 YDS 1 TD 0 INT 71.3 PR
EJ 66.7% 263 YDS 1 TD 1 INT 81.7 PR

Season...
JM 51.7% 736 YDS 4 TD 3 INT 71.9 PR
EJ 61.9% 561 YDS 3 TD 3 INT 78.5 PR

1) There're obviously worse back-ups (and maybe even starters in the league than EJ).
2) These stats obviously make me an EJ lover

Albany,n.y.
11-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Hey Cleveland: Our 1st round QB mistake is better than your 1st round QB mistake.

At least when we picked ours there were no potential franchise QBs that we left on the board. Cleveland will have to live with the fact that they took Manziel with Derek Carr still available.

Yasgur's Farm
11-06-2015, 04:13 PM
OK... Isolated Cleveland jokes... How about Matt Cassel...

Season...
MC 57.7% 324 YDS 1 TD 3 INT 58.5 PR

Shall I continue? Sam Bradford maybe... Cam Newton?

As "terrible" as he is, he's ranked..
45th passer rating
35th completion percentage
34th yards per attempt

Not exactly he "epic failure","worst QB in history" some here have proclaimed... Instead, these ranks are just what they should be for a NFL back-up.

So the question remains... What back-up is available that would be better?

Cleve
11-07-2015, 09:11 AM
The better question - why was he ever on the team in the first place? Even the most optimistic scouting reports from his draft days labeled him a 'project'. Just what the Bills needed - another "project" QB - Fitzpatrick was a 'project', Edwards was a 'project', Losman was a 'project'. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others - there have been so many since Kelly left.

As to why he's still on the team? Well, look at the track record of the Bills' management keeping deadwood on the roster and wasting year after year on failed players; the culture really hasn't changed at 1 Bills Drive that I can see. Of course, not one iota of that is the fault or responsibility of Russ Brandon - he's just a 'marketer'.

Skooby
12-03-2015, 12:21 PM
A question yet to be answered.

stuckincincy
12-03-2015, 01:21 PM
A question yet to be answered.

Keep 'em. What else is there out there? :;:

Turf
12-03-2015, 01:23 PM
EJ's outing in London sealed his fate. He most likely cost us the playoffs this year. He'll be cut by next year.

Mr. Pink
12-03-2015, 01:35 PM
EJ's outing in London sealed his fate. He most likely cost us the playoffs this year. He'll be cut by next year.

So the loss to the Chiefs has nothing to do with that? How about that loss to the Giants? If they lose to Houston, will that have nothing to do with it either? EJ Manuel cost the team the playoffs!

At least people will have a scapegoat for why this ends up being a 16th straight year with no playoffs, I guess.

Turf
12-03-2015, 02:32 PM
So the loss to the Chiefs has nothing to do with that? How about that loss to the Giants? If they lose to Houston, will that have nothing to do with it either? EJ Manuel cost the team the playoffs!

At least people will have a scapegoat for why this ends up being a 16th straight year with no playoffs, I guess.

I'm not making him a scapegoat. He laid a golden egg. Whether we make the playoffs or not, he's gone. That's why he sat on the bench while Tyrod held his shoulder. Of course let me backtrack. The coaching staff is so out of touch no one probably realized how hurt he was. Every announcer and fan did, but none of the coaches did.

tomz
12-03-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm not making him a scapegoat. He laid a golden egg. Whether we make the playoffs or not, he's gone. That's why he sat on the bench while Tyrod held his shoulder. Of course let me backtrack. The coaching staff is so out of touch no one probably realized how hurt he was. Every announcer and fan did, but none of the coaches did.

He had a rough portion of the game. Every QB goes through it. But he settled down, brought the team back and they actually had the lead late. EJ was hardly the only reason we lost that game.

Skooby
12-03-2015, 03:37 PM
He had a rough portion of the game. Every QB goes through it. But he settled down, brought the team back and they actually had the lead late. EJ was hardly the only reason we lost that game.

His multi-score mess up for the Jags cost us the game, he'll never see an NFL field again as a starter.

swiper
12-03-2015, 05:22 PM

Please. Come back to earth.

Yasgur's Farm
12-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Nothing like a good EJ thread to bring out the swiper... Where ya been swiper?