PDA

View Full Version : Stafford on his way out?

ParanoidAndroid
11-05-2015, 02:38 PM
The Detroit Lions have begun cleaning house. In the past week or so, the team has fired offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi, general manager Martin Mayhew and team president Tom Lewand. Could the starting quarterback be on his way out of Motown, too?

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Matthew Stafford’s future with the Lions is “very much in doubt” beyond the 2015 season. Stafford is partially responsible for Detroit’s 1-7 record, as he has thrown 11 interceptions — tied for second-worst in the NFL behind Andrew Luck — compared to 13 touchdowns. more (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-matthew-stafford%e2%80%99s-future-with-lions-%e2%80%98very-much-in-doubt%e2%80%99/ar-BBmSIOb?ocid=spartandhp)

Is Stafford better than how he has recently played? Can he re-ignite his career somewhere QB needy? Buffalo?

Yeah, I know I typo'd Stafford. If a mod has time.....?

Joe Fo Sho
11-05-2015, 02:46 PM
He's better than anything we've got or could probably get next offseason.

He's going to be pretty expensive I imagine, both his trade cost and contract. I'd be willing to give up a 1st for him, hell we've wasted 1st round picks on worse..

coastal
11-05-2015, 02:52 PM
There's something wrong with him. It would not surprise me one but if he had an alcohol or drug problem.

WagonCircler
11-05-2015, 03:05 PM
He's a blue chipper with serious pedigree and all the tools.

The thing about him is that he has shown he can play in the NFL at a really high level, unlike most of the stiffs we've had here.

His problems seem to be tied to the clusterfck that is the Lions. Chances are very high that he could return to form elsewhere. He's still young.

jimmifli
11-05-2015, 03:15 PM
He's a blue chipper with serious pedigree and all the tools.

The thing about him is that he has shown he can play in the NFL at a really high level, unlike most of the stiffs we've had here.

His problems seem to be tied to the clusterfck that is the Lions. Chances are very high that he could return to form elsewhere. He's still young.

I'm sure the clusterfck that is the Bills is just what the doctor ordered.

YardRat
11-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Fixed.

YardRat
11-05-2015, 03:22 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford/

$17mil and $16.5mil the next two seasons when the big bucks of his extension kick in.

The Jokeman
11-05-2015, 03:22 PM
He's better than anything we've got or could probably get next offseason.

He's going to be pretty expensive I imagine, both his trade cost and contract. I'd be willing to give up a 1st for him, hell we've wasted 1st round picks on worse..

He's worse than Drew Bledsoe and we saw how that turned out.

ICRockets
11-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Nope. Tyrod's our guy.

Bill Cody
11-05-2015, 03:38 PM
It's a strange thing. That Detroit offense has IMPLODED. They cannot score. I don't watch their games so I can't say why. But you'd think having Megatron on your team would be a good start. Stafford has a great arm but he seems to lack something. Having said all that I'd take him here all day.

k-oneputt
11-05-2015, 03:42 PM
I would trade our 2016 #1 pick in a second for him.

Mace
11-05-2015, 03:45 PM
First of all, I think it's speculation, and I don't think he's going anywhere. Second of all, we can't afford him without doing ourselves harm that I can see.

Stafford is 27, has the stuff both tangible and intangible, is hardy, 2 years left on contract nothing guaranteed, his career wobble began with Todd Downing the junk QB coach we had last under Marrone, and he's gone through the terrible HC Caldwell and junk coordinator Joe Lombardi. Said to be a leader, with a coaches grasp of concepts. Unfortunately here his QB coach would be the junk David Lee. He's going to get compared to the wobbly Cutler, and I don't think that's anywhere near right. He is a victim of Detroit.

That said, if you're going to have a pipe dream of getting an insta-QB (and good luck to him with this line pass blocking for him) I would certainly go after him without any reservation.

Mace
11-05-2015, 03:47 PM
I would trade our 2016 #1 pick in a second for him.

We'd have to dump some salary on them too.

k-oneputt
11-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Well if they need money to pay him they can start by dumping Hughes and re-structuring Williams' contract.

I would have taken Cutler to before the season, and will take either next year.

The Jokeman
11-05-2015, 03:56 PM
It's a strange thing. That Detroit offense has IMPLODED. They cannot score. I don't watch their games so I can't say why. But you'd think having Megatron on your team would be a good start. Stafford has a great arm but he seems to lack something. Having said all that I'd take him here all day.

He's got JP Losman syndrome, he can beat you deep but is horrible moving the ball in short time consuming drives ie real QBing.

The Jokeman
11-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Well if they need money to pay him they can start by dumping Hughes and re-structuring Williams' contract.

I would have taken Cutler to before the season, and will take either next year.

I'd rather dump Kyle Williams. Great guy but talent wise he's not at the level of Mario, Dareus and Hughes. Toss in he doesn't fit in with Rex's D.

Mace
11-05-2015, 04:05 PM
I'd rather dump Kyle Williams. Great guy but talent wise he's not at the level of Mario, Dareus and Hughes. Toss in he doesn't fit in with Rex's D.

Not nearly enough money. You're needing Mario Williams numbers.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Dareus and a 2nd.

Give them a DT to replace Suh plus a decent pick to do whatever they want with.

And get this team a guy who's an actual NFL QB.

Mace
11-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Dareus and a 2nd.

Give them a DT to replace Suh plus a decent pick to do whatever they want with.

And get this team a guy who's an actual NFL QB.

I'd shrug off a lot of other things before shrugging off Dareus, picks and/or players.

Victor7
11-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Part of me thinks Detroit has ruined him. He's had **** coordinators and currently one of the worst head coaches I can think off in Jim Caldwell. Then again we aren't exactly a model organization so who knows if the change (to us at least) is what he needs.

Another part of me thinks he's just not that good. Cannon arm, but mostly poor on decision making and short-medium accuracy. Like all he knows is the bullet long throws. Anything underneath he struggles with.

I guess it all depends on what happens with Taylor from here on out. Ask me again in January

Mace
11-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Ask me again in January

No. If you don't commit without knowing the future, you're hiding an opinion I can make fun of you for later. You can always lie like I will if Taylor lights it up and Stafford bombs to make fun of the people that wanted him. If anyone can actually look up your opinion and quote it to you, or bumps the thread, you just say your account must have been hacked or you were drinking too much Codeine back then, and laugh at them for wasting the time on it. If you're on the right side of it though, you have endless "I told you so" cred.

January, hah.

YardRat
11-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Neither do Mario or Hughes.

swiper
11-05-2015, 04:54 PM
These are you typical Buffalo Bills fans. The team is so *****ty that all the sudden somebody else's garbage starts to look attractive.

YardRat
11-05-2015, 04:56 PM
These are you typical Buffalo Bills fans. The team is so *****ty that all the sudden somebody else's garbage starts to look attractive.

You might to revisit several of the QB threads in the recent past and see how many posts have Stafford in the 'franchise' category.

Meathead
11-05-2015, 04:58 PM
if hes an alcoholic then buffalo is the perfect place for him

SpikedLemonade
11-05-2015, 04:59 PM
if hes an alcoholic then buffalo is the perfect place for him

It worked for Jim Kelly.

swiper
11-05-2015, 05:00 PM
You might to revisit several of the QB threads in the recent past and see how many posts have Stafford in the 'franchise' category.

So what? Who gives credence to the idiot opinions herein? Not I.

Wagon hit it. Everyone knows Stafford has played well. Interestingly he did so under Jim Schwartz. But you idiots wanted Rex Ryan instead.

What's humorous is the race to post the "Lions might let Stafford go, should we sign him?" thread.

swiper
11-05-2015, 05:04 PM
It worked for Jim Kelly.

Until he got cancer from it.

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/alcohol/alcohol-fact-sheet

YardRat
11-05-2015, 05:05 PM

Wagon hit it. Everyone knows Stafford has played well. Interestingly he did so under Jim Schwartz. But you idiots wanted Rex Ryan instead.

What's humorous is the race to post the "Lions might let Stafford go, should we sign him?" thread.

lol...if that's supposed to be relative to me, you really don't pay attention.

swiper
11-05-2015, 05:09 PM
It was not targeted at any one individual.

Mace
11-05-2015, 05:09 PM

Yardrat was more a Schwartz guy, I didn't even like that they hired Ryan but argued with him much that it might work out (haha). He was pretty not happy about Ryan.

The threads are predictable, if Dan Orlovsky was released there would be another one.

Stafford actually started his decline under Schwartz's Todd Downing QB coach. This was one of the reasons I was upset we might hire Schwartz because he'd bring back Downing.

IlluminatusUIUC
11-05-2015, 05:11 PM
These "the team is thinking of unloading their franchise qb" threads pop up every year. I should know, in a weaker moment I started one myself. But it almost never happens and I don't really see it happening now. I think they'd move on from their coaching staff before Stafford.

Mr. Pink
11-05-2015, 05:20 PM
I'd shrug off a lot of other things before shrugging off Dareus, picks and/or players.

I don't think the Lions would do that deal since they didn't want to pay Suh but it would be a necessity to clear the salary to get Stafford in.

Mace
11-05-2015, 05:29 PM
I don't think the Lions would do that deal since they didn't want to pay Suh but it would be a necessity to clear the salary to get Stafford in.

Mario & McCoy, or either with a good pick, or neither with a couple good picks and a merciless look at the roster, which would still include doing something with McCoy and renegotiating Mario. But Dareus ? Too young, too good, too not necessary for Ryan to drop back ridiculously into coverage.

Victor7
11-05-2015, 06:18 PM
No. If you don't commit without knowing the future, you're hiding an opinion I can make fun of you for later. You can always lie like I will if Taylor lights it up and Stafford bombs to make fun of the people that wanted him. If anyone can actually look up your opinion and quote it to you, or bumps the thread, you just say your account must have been hacked or you were drinking too much Codeine back then, and laugh at them for wasting the time on it. If you're on the right side of it though, you have endless "I told you so" cred.

January, hah.

I'm gonna use the drinking codeine thing.

I like it.

Bring me Stafford *****es !!!

ParanoidAndroid
11-05-2015, 06:40 PM
These "the team is thinking of unloading their franchise qb" threads pop up every year. I should know, in a weaker moment I started one myself. But it almost never happens and I don't really see it happening now. I think they'd move on from their coaching staff before Stafford.

They're definitely going to dump the coaching staff and the new GM may want to hit the reset button. "It almost never happens." So....

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/840/283/350.png

stuckincincy
11-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Contemplating Stafford is insanity...

swiper
11-06-2015, 03:57 AM
Contemplating Stafford is insanity...

As Illuminatus said, The Lions ownership knows what they have in Stafford. They are much more likely to strip it all down around him and rebuild it before they ever let him walk.

Forward_Lateral
11-06-2015, 04:54 AM
I watch a lot of Lions games, being about 45 minutes from Detroit. Stafford is getting pummeled this year. Every time he drops back it seems like someone is right in his face. If he makes it the entire season without getting killed, I'll be amazed.

Dr. Lecter
11-06-2015, 06:50 AM
There's something wrong with him. It would not surprise me one but if he had an alcohol or drug problem.

Didn't the Bills Super Bowl have more than a few guys with that problem, inlcuding the QB?

Skooby
11-06-2015, 07:20 AM
Dreams.

Mike
11-06-2015, 05:29 PM
You guys said the same thing about Phillip Rivers after his one bad season.

If your the Bills and you have any chance of getting Stafford you do it. He's a multiple pro-bowl QB who has thrown for over 5k yards in numerous seasons. Get him if you can.

Mace
11-06-2015, 06:11 PM
I watch a lot of Lions games, being about 45 minutes from Detroit. Stafford is getting pummeled this year. Every time he drops back it seems like someone is right in his face. If he makes it the entire season without getting killed, I'll be amazed.

Been reading Lions boards about him. The fans are wicked upset at the idea of losing him. We all have experience knowing who we want to desperately get rid off. They don't. He's not going anywhere if he lives through Caldwell.

BertSquirtgum
11-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Trade EJ for him. They're on even playing level this year.