PDA

View Full Version : Ryans comments about defense over the bye

Mace
11-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Read them in a few spots, Ryan and "DC" Thurman. Tried to ignore it, aggravates me too much. No ignoring it.

General summary : http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/11/6/9674032/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense-still-not-seeing-eye-to-eye

So essentially Ryan said he meant to adapt, but won't, and the players need execute (ala Kyle Williams in coverage), need to be comfortable in the system but gave them a week off that may have gotten them more comfortable in his junk system. His creative solution appears to be not changing anything.

What aggravated me more, is that in the one article : http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/04/execution-not-just-simplicity-the-defensive-key/ , he says :

“I always say this, the brilliance isn’t in – and this is where some of my mentors in the past,” Ryan said, “obviously my dad, a Bill Parcells, a Bill Walsh, a Sid Gillman, a Paul Brown, the real innovators in this game – it wasn’t necessarily about, the scheme sure, is one thing. But it’s the execution of the play call. It’s not the play call itself. If you just put out your call sheet and say I’m going to out-coach you this way or out-do whatever, it’s the execution of the calls.

If he paid any attention to his Dad whatever, he'd have noticed Buddy always moved Dan Hampton with the Bears to the weakest offensive linemen. Wannstedt kept doing the same ineffective stuff and said it was about execution too. That whole quote also bothered me, because if you read it, it's Jauron era gibberish speak that comes when you aren't sure what you're trying to say.

I sure just wish the guy would show some sign of learning and adapting.

“You’re always constantly making adjustments on what you do and what you ask your players to do,” Ryan said. “Getting familiar with your players. Sometimes you assume when you walk in, you’re going to exactly what I did in Baltimore, I’m going to do here. This is a player-driven system. It’s not a square-peg-in-a-round-hole system. Ours is very multiple. We’ll take advantage of our personnel in trying to give our players the best chance to be successful and we’ll always do that.

Kyle Williams or Mario Williams in coverage isn't a square peg in a round hole, nah, that's putting them in the best position to succeed, because you're so familiar with your players.

Woeful.

GreedoII
11-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Dunno anymore..maybe the players aren't just good enough at this point....

Meathead
11-06-2015, 09:13 AM
rex didnt forget how to build a defense in seven games

Novacane
11-06-2015, 09:32 AM
I don't care what that blowhard says anyomore. Just produce or get fired in a couple years.

Bill Cody
11-06-2015, 09:45 AM
rex didnt forget how to build a defense in seven games

He either forgot or he's just being stubborn. Either way it ain't working. Rex is like a fund manager that an investor hands two million dollars to and he makes him a millionaire.

jamze132
11-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Just about everything that has come out of Rex's mouth concerning the defense is ******ed. What do you mean, it doesn't matter the call?????? Your ****ing job is to put your players in the best position to win, which was a sentiment shared by Thurman. Dropping a DT or DE into coverage is NOT putting your players in the best position to win. By calling stupid-ass calls like that, you are not going to sustain success and your players are going to have a hard time executing some BS like that.

He is blinded by his own arrogance and doesn't have enough sense to swallow his pride and make a change.

Hopefully he will see this soon before the season is a complete waste.

DesertFox24
11-06-2015, 01:13 PM
I am feeling this was not a good hire. Yes he gets buffalo but I don't think he has learned from his past mistakes like bill did.

That being said we knew there would have to be some transition to get players that fit his scheme.

That said they better draft a qb early.

Joe Fo Sho
11-06-2015, 01:15 PM
"When I'm in a hole, I find it best to keep diggin'."

- Rex Ryan, probably

Mace
11-06-2015, 05:00 PM

I think it's more they aren't suited to what Ryan inflexibly does with his defense. Ryan isn't evolving or growing or adapting any (at this point), just trying to put square pegs in round holes, which he denies he's doing though compares himself to Parcells, Walsh, his Dad, Gillman, Paul Brown. The "innovators" he says, his "mentors".

But he isn't innovating. He's using his same system, with his same coaches to try and do the same things he always did, regardless of what he has available. He's lost when teams have solved it, doesn't innovate to resolve it, thinks the whole innovation starts and ends with implementing his fading rigid system.

He mentions Parcells, Parcells in the one Tyler Dunne article said you have to adapt and change according to what you have. But Ryan considers himself like Parcells without a clue adapting and changing might mean evolving your system, not just dumbing down reads and considering yourself a pioneer in adapting by just removing stuff or adding it again. It's still the same stuff.

I dunno. Reading what he has to say lately makes me think this will end up miserably.

YardRat
11-06-2015, 05:07 PM
"It's not my fault, it's the players." Nice. I think there's still an unemployed DC out there that would vehemently disagree. If Ryan really cared about putting the players in the best situation to succeed by appropriately using their talent and not his own 'defensive genius' ego, he'd be making a phone call instead of throwing the players under a bus to the media.

swiper
11-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Wow. A Mace rant! That's rare. And it's a good one at that.

swiper
11-06-2015, 05:12 PM

LOL. The same exact players were the #4 overall defense in the NFL last year.

Joe Fo Sho
11-06-2015, 06:55 PM
LOL. The same exact players were the #4 overall defense in the NFL last year.

The exact same? You can't be serious. C'mon, we added Darby this year..

:shoothead:

swiper
11-07-2015, 03:50 AM

They got better with Darby on paper. Why are they playing far worse? Must be Rex Ryan.

Joe Fo Sho
11-07-2015, 09:23 AM
They got better with Darby on paper. Why are they playing far worse? Must be Rex Ryan.

thatwasthejoke.jpg

IlluminatusUIUC
11-07-2015, 09:27 AM

They added Darby but subtracted Spikes and Searcy. Those guys were pretty good run defenders and keeping us in 3rd and long defensive situations helped a lot.

Still, Rex carries most of the blame.

BertSquirtgum
11-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Rex sucks. Fire him at the end of the year and bring in Jim Schwartz.

ICRockets
11-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Wow. A Mace rant! That's rare. And it's a good one at that.

Change it.