PDA

View Full Version : Miami/Buffalo postgame thoughts

Mace
11-08-2015, 03:23 PM
-I hope Taylor, McCoy, Watkins and Karlos Williams can stay healthy and do their thing consistently. Makes us look like we should be a formidable team.
-I'm not sure that the Bills don't just match up well against Miami in their current state.
-I was happy about the results and enjoyed the win, but I have my doubts that happens again against teams that aren't Miami.
-I really like the way Karlos hits a hole and doesn't try and dance.
-I think Taylor, who is still developing as a starter (though we sometimes forget it), shows some real promise.
-I like the players but don't like defense that just strikes me as bendy and awkward when the game is still in question.
-I think Miami really is a good team without a coaching staff. With better clock management, a sense of urgency, and a better defensive scheme...well, I guess I'm trying to say they remind me of the Bills defense, they are not the sum of their pieces.
-For some reason I just don't feel that excited.

Looking forward to the Jets game, but wary about this team, not to rain on a parade.

SeatownBillsFan21
11-08-2015, 03:26 PM
penalty's are killing this team still.... Happy with the win always nice to sweep the Fish.

justasportsfan
11-08-2015, 03:28 PM
I still miss Schwartz.

Novacane
11-08-2015, 03:32 PM
I think most feel the same way. Happy with the win but still not expecting much. Really irritated that Rex has taken the same players that were a top D and turned them into average on a good day.

mdcas22
11-08-2015, 03:32 PM
I still miss Schwartz.

Rex might dismantle this defense before alls said and done.

Mace
11-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Yeah, I have a feeling he will try and remodel it in his own image.

BillsImpossible
11-08-2015, 03:42 PM
I still miss Schwartz.

I don't.

Schwartz knew how to put together a good defense. Never did he have a great defense.

Rex Ryan is trying to put together a great defense, and I saw a glimpse of that today.

It's still a work in progress, but it was the closest thing to great I've seen all season.

Miami had some excellent play calls today. Their offense isn't a joke.

This game is what football is all about.

Meathead
11-08-2015, 03:45 PM
big important win but does this look like a playoff team to anybody? long stretches of not being able to do crap, defense gave up a ton of yards, still cranking out penalties like they get paid to make them

how many fkn personal fouls penalties does jerry hughes have to take before hes officially declared mentally ******ed? absolutely no need to shoulder the qb oob like he did. stupid stupid stupid. after everything hes been though thats just unacceptable. great play later to turn the game but i would still sit him for a qtr if i was rex. he just cant stop and its going to kill the team (again) sooner or later

BuffaloRedleg
11-08-2015, 03:48 PM
big important win but does this look like a playoff team to anybody? long stretches of not being able to do crap, defense gave up a ton of yards, still cranking out penalties like they get paid to make them

how many fkn personal fouls penalties does jerry hughes have to take before hes officially declared mentally ******ed? absolutely no need to shoulder the qb oob like he did. stupid stupid stupid. after everything hes been though thats just unacceptable. great play later to turn the game but i would still sit him for a qtr if i was rex. he just cant stop and its going to kill the team (again) sooner or later

There aren't more than 5-6 teams in the league that look like playoff teams to me.

swiper
11-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Duke Williams has improved.

cookie G
11-08-2015, 04:07 PM
-I like the players but don't like defense that just strikes me as bendy and awkward when the game is still in question.

I don't hate a bend-but-don't-break-defense when needed (for instance, my son's HS team seriously needed a BBDB defense).

I don't see where its needed here.

For threatening to blitz as much as he does, they really don't blitz...just threaten to.

But when you do blitz, you better have somoene coming through the line relatively clean.

that hasn't happened much this year (I made a comment in the GD thread when Hughes finally broke free up the middle for a sack).

It has been looking pretty Dick Jauronish...kinda like Rex has lost his nerve on most plays.

YardRat
11-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Rex's 'blitz' scheme is, for the most part really, 'Guess who's coming dinner?' from the front seven and safeties, sometimes even the corners. He doesn't usually send more than four but because LBers and DBacks are often involved some like to call it blitzing.

I agree with those who made the comments about Rex dismantling this defense in favor of more of 'his' type guys that fit 'his' mold. Too bad...opportunity lost. But, that's usually what happens when you try to fix something that isn't broke.

BillsImpossible
11-08-2015, 04:32 PM
11/12 for 184 yards.

This is the first, "Ground and Pound," win I've seen all season.

The Bills running game averaged 7.4 yards per carry.

LeSean McCoy and Karlos Williams both ran for over 100 yards.

jimmifli
11-08-2015, 04:39 PM
McCoy looked like FJax finding the hole, great vision and patience, then looked like Spiller accelerating past guys that thought they had a step on him. He can put up 100 yards on anyone.

I don't think they played well today, but when the playmakers get enough chances it doesn't matter. Winning while playing meh is what playoff teams do.

Mike13
11-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Good game but the Refs spotted you 14 points

Turf
11-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Where's Mario and Dareus.

YardRat
11-08-2015, 04:44 PM
McCoy looked like FJax finding the hole, great vision and patience, then looked like Spiller accelerating past guys that thought they had a step on him. He can put up 100 yards on anyone.

I don't think they played well today, but when the playmakers get enough chances it doesn't matter. Winning while playing meh is what playoff teams do.

McCoy also laid one helluva block on Taylor's first run. Funny, his first few runs (that garnered almost nothing because he stretched them out to the sideline) I was thinking 'C'mon Shady, we don't need another CJ'...then he started breaking up field and that's when he started doing some damage.

YardRat
11-08-2015, 04:47 PM

Just enough to make it an embarrassment for Fin Fans, not enough to cover the eventual spread. That was thanks to your own bone-headed offense on their first play from scrimmage.

- - - Updated - - -

Where's Mario and Dareus.

Dropping back into coverage...unfortunately.

MikeInRoch
11-08-2015, 05:05 PM

Fan of a swept team says what?

Crisis
11-08-2015, 05:07 PM

Your ****ty run defense spotted us 2 games this year.

djjimkelly
11-08-2015, 05:08 PM

these lbs dont fit his scheme

Mace
11-08-2015, 05:36 PM
I don't hate a bend-but-don't-break-defense when needed (for instance, my son's HS team seriously needed a BBDB defense).

I don't see where its needed here.

For threatening to blitz as much as he does, they really don't blitz...just threaten to.

But when you do blitz, you better have somoene coming through the line relatively clean.

that hasn't happened much this year (I made a comment in the GD thread when Hughes finally broke free up the middle for a sack).

It has been looking pretty Dick Jauronish...kinda like Rex has lost his nerve on most plays.

Mostly agree, though I hate bendy D's, mostly because nowadays I think they only work against subpar teams and put more pressure on a less than light-it-up offense. Better teams with decent defense will just patiently take fg's, hold you, then keep picking away waiting for a mistake or an opportunity, and you end up hating all those field goals when you struggle to counter them.

It really wasn't really needed here though anyway, yes. Schwartz seldom blitzed with the wide-9 being good for Mario and Hughes on the outside, gap shooting Kyle on the inside, and Dareus plugging and manhandling as needed, dropped a deep safety, and everyone else followed their x's and o's.

The biggest thing I notice when they fake blitz, is that everyone then struggles to get to their assignment at the snap, being vulnerable to quick releases from the QB on a quickly observed mismatch, and when they do blitz (until the game is out of hand and they have free reign), opposing teams seem to clog them anyway with basic line calls, that mostly make them vulnerable to quickly observed mismatches.

I'm not seeing any Ryan philiosophy defenses doing real well, 13th, 15th, 28th and 31st before this week.

justasportsfan
11-08-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't.

Good. The lesser we agree the better

Owen DeBoard
11-08-2015, 07:28 PM
these lbs dont fit his scheme

The lbs are horrible. So many miss tackles don't matter whos calling the defense Schwartz or Ryan when you don't tackle your defense isn't going to be good.

Meathead
11-08-2015, 07:46 PM
sammys long td shoulda been called back. suh was the victim of one of the most blatant holding non-calls ive ever seen

Crisis
11-08-2015, 08:13 PM
sammys long td shoulda been called back. suh was the victim of one of the most blatant holding non-calls ive ever seen

Make up for the Robey PI in Jax. Everything balances out.

BertSquirtgum
11-08-2015, 08:15 PM
I don't.

Schwartz knew how to put together a good defense. Never did he have a great defense.

Rex Ryan is trying to put together a great defense, and I saw a glimpse of that today.

It's still a work in progress, but it was the closest thing to great I've seen all season.

Miami had some excellent play calls today. Their offense isn't a joke.

This game is what football is all about.

In what part of the game did you see a great defense? It was swiss cheese all day.

Night Train
11-08-2015, 08:38 PM
My thoughts - we won.

I know it sucks for many here. (read above)

Work to do... but having key skill players return and play big explains a lot about our first 8 games.

yeah I know, fire Whaley, fire Rex, fire Brandon...that plays better..

feldspar
11-08-2015, 08:59 PM

So what's the truth then? Dennis Thurman is a pile of chopped liver?

Honest question.

sukie
11-08-2015, 09:21 PM
I don't.

It's still a work in progress.

check his pee and watch during the sample collection

stuckincincy
11-09-2015, 03:08 AM

Looks like Watkins lined up in the neutral zone:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25367232/watch-sammy-watkins-torches-secondary-for-44-yard-touchdown

Forward_Lateral
11-09-2015, 06:30 AM
I think Tyrod, if he can stay healthy, is the future of the franchise.

I think it's about time the Bills got help from the refs. Dolphins fans can cry all they want. Bills have been screwed almost every game.

I think Karlos Williams is a beast.

I think the Bills have a good shot at beating the Jets Thursday.

MikeInRoch
11-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Looks like Watkins lined up in the neutral zone:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25367232/watch-sammy-watkins-torches-secondary-for-44-yard-touchdown

Really? Doesn't look that way at all to me.

stuckincincy
11-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Really? Doesn't look that way at all to me.

The receiver in the foreground of that picture is in the neutral zone, be it Watkins or another. Follow his forward foot over to the center with hands on the ball, and on to the onside receiver on the left.

Joe Fo Sho
11-09-2015, 07:54 AM
I'm convinced that there was one play on Miami's drive to end the half where they had an illegal formation. I shouted it out on my couch, but the refs didn't hear me and didn't throw the flag. It was the play where Tannehill had a long pass to the upper half of the field, I think McKelvin was in coverage but I'm not sure. I don't have the game recorded so I can't look at it. They didn't have an eligible receiver on the line of scrimmage on the right side of their offensive line. I could be wrong though, it has happened once. Maybe I didn't see the TE or something.

trapezeus
11-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Happy they won

torn on how they looked when it was 19-14. The same offense taking penalties and not grinding the clock

but on the other hand, they made the bold call and went deep.

I don't know how that performance looks vs a better team. But they needed a win and got it. If they can beat the jets, we got a chance. A loss Thursday ends the playoff hopes without unusual scenarios. We've prayed for those scenarios for 15 years and it hasn't been answered. So I prefer that they try and control they own destiny

Historian
11-09-2015, 09:26 AM

I agree.

Rant: Hughes can be a gamechanger, he proved it yesterday....but what the hell was that hit out of bounds???

Wasn't even close.

If he could knock off the personal fouls.....

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-09-2015, 09:40 AM
I agree.

Rant: Hughes can be a gamechanger, he proved it yesterday....but what the hell was that hit out of bounds???

Wasn't even close.

its totally feast and famine with that dude. It's either an idiotic personal foul vs a strip sack fumble. You never know what you're gonna get

MikeInRoch
11-09-2015, 10:13 AM
The receiver in the foreground of that picture is in the neutral zone, be it Watkins or another. Follow his forward foot over to the center with hands on the ball, and on to the onside receiver on the left.

His foot is most of the way to the 44. The start of the ball is just outside the 44. Looks on-sides to me.

Victor7
11-09-2015, 11:05 AM
The playmakers won this game for us. If they can stay healthy we are gonna be in most games.

The defense is still a concern. They gave up like 4-5 long sustained drives. That is just pissing me off too much. What the hell did you do to this defense Rex ?

The penalties are also a massive issue that IMO is beyond fixing. Its been 9 weeks plus the preseason and it hasn't changed.

Taylor was the anti EJ and that's all it takes sometimes. Efficient, accurate, mistake free. More of that please.

More of that from Sammy please and less hot tub days off.

Was Suh held on the TD play?? Oh yeah. Big time. So was Hughes vs Jaxonville on their winning TD. Robey didn't PI either. **** man Hughes and Dareus were held constantly in this game. If any team knows about bad calls its us. Cry me a river Suh

Forward_Lateral
11-09-2015, 11:09 AM
I agree.

Wasn't even close.

He dominated yesterday. I hope he can keep it up

If they could cut out the crap penalties, and the stupid illegal contact penalties on 2nd and 43 I would probably live a bit longer. Nothing makes my bp rise more than seeing a 5 yard penalty with an automatic first down on 2nd or 3rd and forever. Just let the guy catch the ball and tackle him you buffoon.

- - - Updated - - -

The playmakers won this game for us. If they can stay healthy we are gonna be in most games.

The defense is still a concern. They gave up like 4-5 long sustained drives. That is just pissing me off too much. What the hell did you do to this defense Rex ?

The penalties are also a massive issue that IMO is beyond fixing. Its been 9 weeks plus the preseason and it hasn't changed.

Taylor was the anti EJ and that's all it takes sometimes. Efficient, accurate, mistake free. More of that please.

More of that from Sammy please and less hot tub days off.

Was Suh held on the TD play?? Oh yeah. Big time. So was Hughes vs Jaxonville on their winning TD. Robey didn't PI either. **** man Hughes and Dareus were held constantly in this game. If any team knows about bad calls its us. Cry me a river Suh

Suh is a dirty, whining crybaby. He gets ANYTHING that comes to him. I'm surprised nobody has taken out one of his knees yet. He's such a douchebag.

Joe Fo Sho
11-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Suh is a dirty, whining crybaby. He gets ANYTHING that comes to him. I'm surprised nobody has taken out one of his knees yet. He's such a douchebag.

Did you hear him yelling at the refs after he had Tyrod wrapped up and Tyrod was able to throw the ball away? It was the play before the long TD to Sammy. You could hear him screaming because he was so close to the ref who was explaining the call to the crowd. He yelled "IF YOU DON'T BLOW IT DEAD NEXT TIME I'M GOING TO SLAM THE F*** OUT OF HIM!" It was pretty great. I actually think he was right in that instance, but screw him anyway.

djjimkelly
11-09-2015, 01:18 PM
I think Tyrod, if he can stay healthy, is the future of the franchise.

I think it's about time the Bills got help from the refs. Dolphins fans can cry all they want. Bills have been screwed almost every game.

I think Karlos Williams is a beast.

not being negative he has beat miami twice

miami is not good

we ran for 250 yards most qbs would win with those running stats

he played well but it wasnt a qb clinic

lets be happy we are mathemtically alive if hes the one then hes the one.

but hes far from what most gms would want as their qb

YardRat
11-09-2015, 02:34 PM
The neutral zone is only the width of the football...he's close, but not in it.

jimmifli
11-09-2015, 04:24 PM
McCoy also laid one helluva block on Taylor's first run. Funny, his first few runs (that garnered almost nothing because he stretched them out to the sideline) I was thinking 'C'mon Shady, we don't need another CJ'...then he started breaking up field and that's when he started doing some damage.

I remember on one of them he outran his pulling guard and then was forced outside. I was thinking that looked exactly like Spiller. But I can chalk that up to being rusty, he started slowing down a little and setting up his blocks better. He seemed to be better timing his cutback off the left side, at least early.

Mace
11-09-2015, 04:32 PM
I remember on one of them he outran his pulling guard and then was forced outside. I was thinking that looked exactly like Spiller. But I can chalk that up to being rusty, he started slowing down a little and setting up his blocks better. He seemed to be better timing his cutback off the left side, at least early.

Yeah, I made a comment about him looking like Spiller in the gameday thread shortly before he flew and made me look stupid. The truth is though, that's McCoy, he likes to dance, was supposedly one of the things that made him wear out his Philly welcome. But as someone also pointed out, he's Spiller with better field vision, hole recognition and decision. Give him a hole he sees and he'll take it. Don't give him anything obvious he'll dance sideways.

I still don't think you pay that much for a running back, but it was nice to see him do his thing.

Famous Amos
11-09-2015, 04:56 PM
McCoy is running better between the tackles than he was in the beginning of the season. K. Williams is our ace in the red zone. He is freaking money when he gets a full head of steam. The Bills were so dominant last Sunday, they didn't even need Bob Woods or Charles Clay.

jimmifli
11-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I made a comment about him looking like Spiller in the gameday thread shortly before he flew and made me look stupid. The truth is though, that's McCoy, he likes to dance, was supposedly one of the things that made him wear out his Philly welcome. But as someone also pointed out, he's Spiller with better field vision, hole recognition and decision. Give him a hole he sees and he'll take it. Don't give him anything obvious he'll dance sideways.

I still don't think you pay that much for a running back, but it was nice to see him do his thing.

On his first long run he faked going outside again which set up his block. The defender was starting to cut in then tried to go outside on Shady's fake. His cutback was not a hole in the traditional sense, more like a crack. And then he was in the secondary.

I'm not big on paying RBs either, but I give him a lot of credit for yesterday.

Mike13
11-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Did you hear him yelling at the refs after he had Tyrod wrapped up and Tyrod was able to throw the ball away? It was the play before the long TD to Sammy. You could hear him screaming because he was so close to the ref who was explaining the call to the crowd. He yelled "IF YOU DON'T BLOW IT DEAD NEXT TIME I'M GOING TO SLAM THE F*** OUT OF HIM!" It was pretty great. I actually think he was right in that instance, but screw him anyway.

You think correctly

YardRat
11-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Speaking of Karlos' TD that was close to not breaking the plane with possession, I'd forgotten something similar happened last year also, with Sammy.

stuckincincy
11-09-2015, 09:10 PM
The neutral zone is only the width of the football...he's close, but not in it.

He's very close, then. Wish the picture was better.

In any event, it's an item (albeit small) that should be pointed out to players as film is reviewed.

Little errors can have long shadows, so to speak. I shake my head when offensive players commit neutral zone infractions, when receivers don't cover the ends of the line. That's where coaching comes in - hammer and hammer the small details.

Famous Amos
11-10-2015, 04:11 AM
You think correctly

I thought Taylor was "in the grasp". What is Suh supposed to do there? If he throws Taylor to the ground, would the refs be inclined to call a routing the passer play? And it wasn't as if Taylor got off a traditional get the shoulder pass to get rid of it, it was more of a shot put.